Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Does anyone want to bring back the old Demonland?

CBDees

Demonland and ‘Melbourne Demons’ are not the same these days! ? Where is Saty and where are all the naysayers calling for Goodwin’s removal? It is as though you cannot post unless you have good news and it gets worse each week. I have to keep pinching myself that it is actually a MFC supporters forum. How about some negativity? It started fine at the beginning of the year with celebrity footy tipsters such as Melbourne Lord Mayor, Sally Capp, picking against her own city, predicting certain losses against GWS and Geelong but now we never start as the underdog and still manage to get across the line. (Adelaide was an apparition.)  I am not used to wearing my scarf 7 days a week  ?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 7

I can’t even post in game day anymore because I’m tired of every time the opposition scores they rant about how crap our team is. They won’t be happy unless we keep the opponent scoreless (which has never happened.) 
And if we lose (the perfect season, including finals, has never happened) I’m so tired of the “I’m over this club” and “that’s it for me. Sick of demons” and “I’m returning my membership.”

FSS if that’s true, do it. Go be a fair weather supporter. Change your team each year depending on which team you follow. 

I think the culture of failure is so entrenched with some they accept it as inevitable and embrace the ridicule, like this Clown here

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CBDees said:

Demonland and ‘Melbourne Demons’ are not the same these days! ? Where is Saty and where are all the naysayers calling for Goodwin’s removal? It is as though you cannot post unless you have good news and it gets worse each week. I have to keep pinching myself that it is actually a MFC supporters forum. How about some negativity? It started fine at the beginning of the year with celebrity footy tipsters such as Melbourne Lord Mayor, Sally Capp, picking against her own city, predicting certain losses against GWS and Geelong but now we never start as the underdog and still manage to get across the line. (Adelaide was an apparition.)  I am not used to wearing my scarf 7 days a week  ?

Have you not been checking the Sam Weideman thread?

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

I can’t remember who posted it back in ‘13 after there was talk of how negative we all were,  but as was said at the time, positivity in itself is not an inherent virtue.

It can devolve into naïveté and delusion if not based on material conditions.

To look at things as tickety-boo back then would have been somewhat akin to Winston Smith going through ‘1984’ happily and voluntarily retiring from his position at the Ministry of Truth once he turned 65. Clearly something was amiss, and to pretend so otherwise would have been either disingenuous, denialist or plain d***headnesess.

Likewise, the veil of negativity has no place in where we are at now and I’ve written that elsewhere. This ain’t 2009-2014 and to act as such is just being a misery guts.

It’s interesting you raise Saty in the same sentence that you raised negativity. While I’ve reconciled myself to what he was when he was here, his issue wasn’t negativity. It was the two flaws (naïveté, delusion plus a fairly healthy dose of social awkwardness and a healthy ego) that I mentioned in my previous paragraph, and how he would hysterically, and, in a strange juxtaposition, also condescendingly lambast anyone who would dissent or gave a contrary opinion. 

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

1 hour ago, Cassiew said:

I can’t even post in game day anymore because I’m tired of every time the opposition scores they rant about how crap our team is. They won’t be happy unless we keep the opponent scoreless (which has never happened.) 
And if we lose (the perfect season, including finals, has never happened) I’m so tired of the “I’m over this club” and “that’s it for me. Sick of demons” and “I’m returning my membership.”

FSS if that’s true, do it. Go be a fair weather supporter. Change your team each year depending on which team you follow. 

I think the culture of failure is so entrenched with some they accept it as inevitable and embrace the ridicule, like this Clown here

Was with you til the last bit. That video was a classic during the dark times. Just satire, mate. 

Edited by Yossarian
sp
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, binman said:

Remind me if going to tbe footy in tbe 90s and fans yelling 'just kick it!!!!!'

Mate…

They were doing that up to the ‘10’s! Probably still doing it today! 

Plus you forgot the ‘long’ bit added to the end! 

Just now, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Mate…

They we’re doing that up to the ‘10’s! Probably still doing it today! 

It's called foorball, not handball!!@@@

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, CBDees said:

????

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Was with you til the last bit. That video was a classic during the dark times. Just satire, mate. 

It’s the attitude we need to drop. Why would you post that, making yourself look like a fool and basically giving all the opposition clubs the fire they need against us? How many times that fool has been used against me when debating. He’s a disgrace 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, binman said:

The 'we need to fix our clearnces' posts are pretty depressing.

It was usually caused by what I call hospital hand passes binman where a player hand balled to team mate a metre away who had one or two opponents standing next to him. You know the result, too many of those can result in “ just kick the bloody thing” . There is usually a reason for that response it’s called frustration. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, binman said:

45 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Mate…

They were doing that up to the ‘10’s! Probably still doing it today! 

My favourites were always the nuffies yeling "just kick it" immediately following up with "oh you're useless!" when they did kick it, long, to 3 opposition players. The cognitive dissonance was amazing.

Also I can't say I've heard it this year but definitely in 2019.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Just kick it.   That was me.

Mind you it has taken us 30 odd years to get it right.  (Did you see vs Lions where there was one section of play that was so last year - moving down the wing with continuous handball.  I think we scored though.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cassiew said:

It’s the attitude we need to drop. Why would you post that, making yourself look like a fool and basically giving all the opposition clubs the fire they need against us? How many times that fool has been used against me when debating. He’s a disgrace 

I think the stuff about ‘bogan Collingwood supporters’ and jokes about Liam Jurrah were also feeding into the worst stereotypes as well. Elitist, unsympathetic, dispassionate and fickle.

That’s not who we are.

2 hours ago, Cassiew said:

I can handle the pessimism (that comes with the Demonland territory) . At some point, however, the site I enjoyed so much, has been hijacked by a number of posters devoid of wit and nuance...but determined to win the argument. Doesn’t matter what argument, any will do.

And invariably this determination comes with corresponding posts that’s are devoid of good humour and, god forbid, self - deprecation (not to be confused with defecation). But with the promise of laboured back and forth should you be dumb enough to respond.

Some of the match day posts I’ve read have me convinced that the poster has no real interest in the footy or should take a break from the internet. Way too much vitriol directed at players and posters which suddenly reverses in post match comments. Jekyll and Hyde stuff.

This isn’t end of world stuff and I may regret posting. Maybe I’m wrong here. 

Go Dees!!

Edited by Return to Glory
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, CBDees said:

How about some negativity?

Okay then...

• We're doomed!
  • We'll lose every game for the rest of the year and miss the 8, just like '65 (curse you Norm Smith!)!
  • We'll win every game, then lose the grand final by a kick after the siren due to a dodgy free kick, because Melbourne!
  • The season will be cancelled due to COVID!
  • Half the senior team will do their ACL or otherwise injure themselves and miss the rest of the season!

Is that what you're after... ?

(I have to say it was very easy to get to this place mentally. I'm scarred I think!)

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

I can handle the pessimism (that comes with the Demonland territory) . At some point, however, the site I enjoyed so much, has been hijacked by a number of posters devoid of wit and nuance...but determined to win the argument. Doesn’t matter what argument, any will do.

Correct weight.

The pessimism, passion and anger (so long as it didn’t  get personal or crosses any lines) was fine. The mods were great at the start of ‘13 with letting a lot slide as clearly a lot of us needed to let off steam.

However, there was a cohort who would jump on posters in the most hostile way and basically not give up until they stopped responding at best or left the board entirely at worst. We most likely lost a heap of constructive and insightful posters thanks to these bullies (who thankfully seem to have mostly moved on).

23 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I think the stuff about ‘bogan Collingwood supporters’ and jokes about Liam Jurrah were also feeding into the worst stereotypes as well. Elitist, unsympathetic, dispassionate and fickle.

That’s not who we are.

Along with the “haha we suck. Everyone laugh at us, we’re your punching bag” attitude 

18 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

And invariably this determination comes with corresponding posts that’s are devoid of good humour and, god forbid, self - deprecation (not to be confused with defecation). But with the promise of laboured back and forth should you be dumb enough to respond.

Some of the match day posts I’ve read have me convinced that the poster has no real interest in the footy or should take a break from the internet. Way too much vitriol directed at players and posters which suddenly reverses in post match comments. Jekyll and Hyde stuff.

This isn’t end of world stuff and I may regret posting. Maybe I’m wrong here. 

Go Dees!!

Self deprecation is ever here and so common with demons supporters frankly I’m sick of it. The acceptance of failure and embracing other tema ridiculing is has gone one too long. Now we are the best it’s time to change our attitude. I mean if you want to give up on the club for not winning, fine, do it. Don’t post it do it. If you’re just angry then say it, don’t share your anger issues with everyone if you’re not going to follow through with your words

1 minute ago, Cassiew said:

Self deprecation is ever here and so common with demons supporters frankly I’m sick of it. The acceptance of failure and embracing other tema ridiculing is has gone one too long. Now we are the best it’s time to change our attitude. I mean if you want to give up on the club for not winning, fine, do it. Don’t post it do it. If you’re just angry then say it, don’t share your anger issues with everyone if you’re not going to follow through with your words

It's a forum - and as forum - people can vent as much as they want, whether it is accurate or ill-informed. 

Just block them.

Also, the frustration is all about the anxiety the person is feeling about the potential to lose and the impact on their mood.

I've blocked circa 20 people - many who now have been removed from the site - seems to be a correlation between heightened responses that are posted, and the persons propensity to goad others...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cassiew said:

I’ve been in the game day thread a lot this year and while it can get a bit negative I can’t say I’ve seen anyone say any of those lines once this year.

I don’t like to get bogged down in negativity either but I don’t think people critiquing our performance during a game or venting their frustrations should be labelled bad fans or bad people. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I reckon DL is what has stopped many a TV set having something thrown at it. ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3