Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 12 vs Brisbane

Demonland

3 hours ago, dee-tox said:

One guy that will benefit from more games. Think he will make it.

Just the ability to convert all these second round picks is so exciting and given all our elite talent drafted in the first round or recruited in, it means we've been able to build a really solid list.

It's a credit to Jason Taylor and his recruiters, our coaches and development guys over the last 3-4 years, and the players themselves.

Edited by A F
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, pineapple dee said:

At least he didn't do the full prostate exam !!!

I think John Hopoate of NRL fame incorporated that into his game in the early 00’s.

It didn’t end well for him.

9 hours ago, A F said:

Thought Jackson struggled in the first half (had a few mates), but the move to play Gawn forward and Jackson in the ruck and behind the ball in the third was a master-stroke. It may have been Gawn's decision, but Jackson got three ground ball gets in three separate passages and repelled Brisbane exits from our forward 50. His athleticism is a real asset behind the ball. He got a bit lost when asked to play on a forward in the first half, but his work in that third was brilliant.

I agree. Jackson has an impact at times like Langdon just adding run to the midfield. Especially without Ed last night we needed that extra run to open up gaps for Harmes, Tracc and Oliver to get the game on our terms.

Daniher and English are 2 of the best back up rucks that we’ll face all year and have beat Luke at the hit outs and out marked him, but he’s put pace and creativity in to the game. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sydee said:

It was amazing to see so many demon fans there all proud of their team - would say the crowd was at least 80% Dee’s fans 

At least, and they made a lot of noise as well but channel 7 also had taped cheering etc going on. When Brisbane kicked a goal the noise did not equate to the amount of Brisbane supporters there. Still, I loved the Melbourne chant going on in the second half.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Unbeknown to me I must have died and gone to heaven. Here I am on a Saturday morning with the Dees having  won a Friday night game and sit on top of the ladder at 11 - 1 and I can smile at every other club fan’s  ( not that they can see me through the mask ) problems and their worry about winning this weekend. 
If by chance I am wrong please please no one wake me. 

How good is this! As if seeing my first live game in years, and winning, wasn’t good enough. I’ve woken this morning to find Old Dee telling jokes, and, in the above post, sounding as though he was having a “Lucy in the sky with diamonds” trip. 

Well old friend, the trip you are on is called the Dee train, and ain’t it grand -so finally, welcome aboard.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Watched the replay, absolutely putrid umpiring. 

At least 7 obvious push in the backs in the first half

Bs free to Charlie Cameron in the last 4m to go

8m to go a lions kick in and they had a runner in the 50m arc

Daniher spun 360 and the ball his the ground,  then he kicks,  play on. 

And we hit the post 4 times. 

Weid is a bust. Bring in sideshow bob

I watched the first half again last night And without the emotion the umpiring was still appalling.

Add to above the illegal treatment Max gets.

So glad we won so people can't day we can't say tbe umpires were bad because we didn't deserve to win!

One thing I love is how our players never complain. Tbe lions were whinging all night.

Had to laugh when tmac outmarked rich and rich claims tmac held his arm. Replied showed absolutely no hold.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, A F said:

Just the ability to convert all these second picks is so exciting and given all our elite talent drafted in the first round or recruited in, it means we've been able to build a really solid list.

It's a credit to Jason Taylor and his recruiters, our coaches and development guys over the last 3-4 years, and the players themselves.

Absolutely. Rivers, Petty, Sparrow, Spargo and Jordon were all in that high 20s and 30s range. It’s an incredible hit rate really. They’re the hardest and most important picks to get right I think - I love Jacko and Pickett, but I reckon I could have picked them correctly. There’s no way I would have been able to determine the right flanker to pick.

Almost no busts from the last 4 drafts, despite having traded away a lot of our early picks to bring in the likes of May and Lever. Amazing.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, pineapple dee said:

At least he didn't do the full prostate exam !!!

??

2 hours ago, Demon17 said:

Still haven't beaten anyone above us.

Dogs were, briefly?

1 hour ago, dice said:

Got to hand it to Nick Riewoldt on Fox Footy last night. I thought we were gone at half time but Roo thought differently:

roo.png.0c090aff38b8c4cdfe14123b47b9be6b.png

1 hour ago, old dee said:

My father told me never act when you are angry. Imagine what you might have written in the first half and how that looked by the end of the game. 

Can’t find my half time comment, but I recall mentioning that this half will show us where we are   
Deelighted with the outcome. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neil Crompton said:

How good is this! As if seeing my first live game in years, and winning, wasn’t good enough. I’ve woken this morning to find Old Dee telling jokes, and, in the above post, sounding as though he was having a “Lucy in the sky with diamonds” trip. 

Well old friend, the trip you are on is called the Dee train, and ain’t it grand -so finally, welcome aboard.

Don’t know that I have changed NC always enjoyed the end result it is the journey that I still find hard. Every game I still expect us to revert to type. Even watching the game replay today I will be worried at half time it is happening. Sad? Yes . But hey it is great this morning. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, binman said:

I watched the first half again last night And without the emotion the umpiring was still appalling.

Add to above the illegal treatment Max gets.

So glad we won so people can't day we can't say tbe umpires were bad because we didn't deserve to win!

One thing I love is how our players never complain. Tbe lions were whinging all night.

Had to laugh when tmac outmarked rich and rich claims tmac held his arm. Replied showed absolutely no hold.

Jake Lever leads the way with accepting the umpire’s call. He gave away a free to Hipwood (I think) early in the game and you could him standing on the mark, nodding furiously that he understood, even though he was clearly pissed about it (probably at himself). If I were trying to teach kids the right way to manage frustration, Lever would heavily feature my examples. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

It is easy to forget how good big Max is - he is putting together a career that puts him in the conversation about being the best ruckman in the history of the game.

Probably needs to star in the Ginals and grab a flag to be in that conversation.

But boy he is evolving in his running snd seems determined to not let Jacko be the only Rick who follows up his tap work.

Also his hand balling is getting so much better and short passing.

My Hod we could almost have 1,2 and 3 in the Brownlow snd Bluey  with Max Trac and Clarry

Also some time in the future there will be the question about how great are our great first ruck trio in Club history as well as the AFL/VFL.

• Like 1

Why, The Age? Why that headline, but with that pic????

I am SO gonna scrub you from my xmas card list! ?

E35E0F67-FC85-4A80-B2F4-F95265CC7516.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Why, The Age? Why that headline, but with that pic????

I am SO gonna scrub you from my xmas card list! ?

E35E0F67-FC85-4A80-B2F4-F95265CC7516.jpeg

Okay then, maybe I was too hasty. This paragraph goes some way to forgiveness. *sigh* You’re back on my Xmas card list.?

1C6B7C47-BA05-4F17-B8CB-EE7A0D73DFFA.jpeg

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Absolutely. Rivers, Petty, Sparrow, Spargo and Jordon were all in that high 20s and 30s range. It’s an incredible hit rate really. They’re the hardest and most important picks to get right I think - I love Jacko and Pickett, but I reckon I could have picked them correctly. There’s no way I would have been able to determine the right flanker to pick.

Almost no busts from the last 4 drafts, despite having traded away a lot of our early picks to bring in the likes of May and Lever. Amazing.

Fritsch was a second rounder too. So we've cleaned up as you say in that late 20/early 30 part of the draft.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nasher said:

And don't forget Hibbo  and Melk were traded for second rounders.
Tmac pick 53 Harmesy a late pick ( Rookie?) plus Hunty a middle rounder I think. 

Extraordinary success rate plus our first rounders and Gawny a 40/50's pick if I think correctly!! 

Combo of Taylor and List manager prior whose name escapes me.

But rhecreal story is the at long last player development program that had improved since Roosy came.

Added also is Burgos fitness programs which have proven elite on most occasions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

I was searching for your stats on an earlier post re: scores against us top 8 vs bottom 8 - could you re submit with this please :)

An underrated post...

Scores conceded vs top 8 sides:

1. Geelong - 60
  2. Richmond - 48
  3. Sydney - 58
  4. Bulldogs - 59
  5. Brisbane - 75
10 hours ago, jnrmac said:

We've played 24 second half quarters this year

We've only lost 6.

Thanks Burgo

I'll add to that this stat:

Across all 12 games, we have been behind in the fourth quarter for 43 seconds (after Taylor Walker's goal).

That's it.

49 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

No player on the ground got 30 touches or more.  Is that a first for any game this season?  Shows the bipolar nature of the game- each side dominated for a half.  We stuck to them better when we were down, and cut through them better when we were on.

Someone asked Swamp this on Twitter.

There were three such games in Round 10 this year.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

35 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Jake Lever leads the way with accepting the umpire’s call. He gave away a free to Hipwood (I think) early in the game and you could him standing on the mark, nodding furiously that he understood, even though he was clearly [censored] about it (probably at himself). If I were trying to teach kids the right way to manage frustration, Lever would heavily feature my examples. 

I’ve routinely pumped up the recruitment of May but the time has some to give equal plaudits for the recruitment of Lever.

We can talk about all the positive changes at the club but one that stands out is the calibre of on-field leaders and Jake is a vitally important one, the way he marshals the troops and dishes out the odd deserved bake. On top of that whole statistically greatest intercept marker of all time to this point of a season.

I don’t know how many times I bemoaned what we gave up to get him. I’ll ballpark it at a comfortable three. But I take them all back. He’s a shiny, lanky, beautiful mustached gem in the crown.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, A F said:

Whereas, Harmes seemed to rotate to both Neale and McLuggage at stoppages in the first half.

So I thought the way we used our mids to shut down their dangerous players was superb. Yze must deserve a lot of credit for this and the improvement of all these guys has to be at the feet of Williams, whilst taking nothing away from Goodwin and the trust he has in the players to play to his blueprint.

The real strength that we're beginning to build in our midfield though (and I'd argue it's similar for our back 6) is having the ability to lockdown on a player and then join in on offence.

Viney is good at it, but I'd argue Harmes is more dangerous because his kicking is more penetrative than Viney and he kicks goals.

But Melksham, IMO, took a step towards being able to play a similar role last night. Shut down opponents, but then join in on offence when he could. It's the perfect example of offence coming from your strong defence.

Yes you’re correct Harmes and Melksham were rotating with each other first half.

Vineys ferocity and creating lanes for teammates at stoppages gets him back in when ready.

Viney and Langdon the only changes to the 22 for mine

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OhMyDees said:

Loved the astonished look on Hipwood’s face the moment he’s finally called for a push in the back…?

C3393347-6565-4E44-AAA5-83958EC5809C.jpeg

I always laugh when players act bewildered at free kicks that were obviously there (even when it’s MFC players), and that was clearly one. Onya Eric.

• Like 3

I loved seeing the local support for the Dees at the game last night, and I was pumped for them at the end result, but in this day and age I still can’t believe the AFL are packing them into three bays when Victoria is in lockdown and we’re running out of states we can play the game in. I don’t think socially distancing the crowd is too hard, is it?

I’ll be spitting chips if the season is cancelled 

• Like 1