Jump to content

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview     

Where Will We Play Collingwood? (QB Big Freeze)



Recommended Posts

I know it's a footy match where 4 points is up for grabs but I feel gutted for Neale if this game gets moved. He missed out last year being at the G and now it looks like he won't be there again. After each queens' birthday you wonder if he will be there the following  year and he always is, but gee you just want him to see it at the G with him smiling. 

he has also got some very good sliders there this year. https://fightmnd.org.au/

I was really looking forward to seeing The Whiz and Dais go down the slide and to get Craig Bellamy it would have been awesome. 

If our lockdown ends next Thursday then why can't it go ahead on the Monday? Even if to a reduced crowd. Pies fans have dropped off anyway. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Demonland said:

 

I'd support this on the basis that while lockdown restrictions will likely ease next Friday it will be at least a couple of more weeks after that before crowds will be able to attend the footy. Even swapping the bye round would likely see no crowds.

SA is a great footy state and would put on a show befitting the occassion. It would also go a long way to mitigating financial losses while being a neutral ground that we play well at and therefore a suitable substitute for our home game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

I know it's a footy match where 4 points is up for grabs but I feel gutted for Neale if this game gets moved. He missed out last year being at the G and now it looks like he won't be there again. After each queens' birthday you wonder if he will be there the following  year and he always is, but gee you just want him to see it at the G with him smiling. 

he has also got some very good sliders there this year. https://fightmnd.org.au/

I was really looking forward to seeing The Whiz and Dais go down the slide and to get Craig Bellamy it would have been awesome. 

If our lockdown ends next Thursday then why can't it go ahead on the Monday? Even if to a reduced crowd. Pies fans have dropped off anyway. 

I agree with all of the above.

And the numbers today were very good considering 57,000 test were done. All good signs leading towards lock down ending next Thursday or even earlier.

The AFL should hold off from moving this special game until it's absolutely certain we can't have crowds.

And why are some many people getting excited about the prospect of Adelaide Oval? Do we really think the South Australians are going to come out in force to watch a team holding a 2-10 record go about its business?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

Hobart's the place for mine!

Yep, and they'd save on costs by not having to fill the pool with ice.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

And why are some many people getting excited about the prospect of Adelaide Oval? Do we really think the South Australians are going to come out in force to watch a team holding a 2-10 record go about its business?

That's exactly what i was thinking.

Sure there will be plenty of Pies fans in SA, but they can't get cant get 20, 00 people to their games in Victoria.

How many neutrals are going to want to come watch a team that cant kick a goal in a half of footy in perfect condition, and whose coach is happy with that?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, binman said:

That's exactly what i was thinking.

Sure there will be plenty of Pies fans in SA, but they can't get cant get 20, 00 people to their games in Victoria.

How many neutrals are going to want to come watch a team that cant kick a goal in a half of footy in perfect condition, and whose coach is happy with that?  

There’s probably 30000 Port fans who want to see us k1ck the pants off them 

 

/hubrismode

Edited by Superunknown
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

There’s probably 30000 Port fans who want to see us k1ck the pants off them 

 

/hubrismode

Maybe we should wear a prison bar jumper!

image.jpeg.a6face3375616ac1f745d04d942a5cb6.jpeg

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i think it'll all come down to $$

if nsw bids more to bring the freeze mnd on qb to the scg - and really, for them, i imagine that's a far bigger attraction than the game itself - then we go there

it would've been handy to have played a game on the scg already if that was the case, however, rather than at giants stadum tomorrow night

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, binman said:

How many neutrals are going to want to come watch a team that cant kick a goal in a half of footy in perfect condition, and whose coach is happy with that?

I think that wherever the game is played, it will attract a large crowd, simply because of the occasion and the high regard/admiration, in which Neale Daniher is held within the footballing community and beyond - the Big Freeze is NOT just about footy.  The only down side is that Neale will probably not be able to attend in person, although I hope I'm very wrong about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I might be in fairy land here, but the fact that Regional VIC is opening up tomorrow and 50% workforce is allowed back into the office in the regions actually might be a good sign.

I assume Metro will be at 50% office capacity next Friday 11 June as we usually follow regional VIC shortly after.

When we were at 75% office capacity, 50% were permitted to attend the pre season and round 1 fixtures in Melbourne.

So if 50% office capacity is allowed, wouldn't that theoretically mean that 25% can attend the QB game?

Therefore, 25,000 people at the MCG will be far more than what they'd get at Adelaide Oval or SCG.

People are dreaming if they think they're going to get more than 20,000 to either Sydney or Adelaide.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hardtack said:

I think that wherever the game is played, it will attract a large crowd, simply because of the occasion and the high regard/admiration, in which Neale Daniher is held within the footballing community and beyond - the Big Freeze is NOT just about footy.  The only down side is that Neale will probably not be able to attend in person, although I hope I'm very wrong about that.

It's a fantastic cause but it's not going to get people attending in their droves so see a 2 win side mired in the bottom 4.

This game will not have a patch on the dream time game in terms of marketability. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A decision by the AFL is imminent regarding the location of Melbourne’s Queen’s Birthday clash, but the Dees are not perturbed as long as they have one necessary ingredient.

Spoiler Alert - it's fans. 

The AFL will announce its decision to move the Queen’s Birthday clash away from the MCG by Friday afternoon as its path to scheduling Round 13 games has been smoothed by strict player bubbles in Victoria.

It is understood the league will not allow the marquee Melbourne-Collingwood contest to be played in front of an empty stadium.

As Melbourne’s Covid-19 lockdown extends into a second week, the Adelaide Oval and SCG are leading contenders to host the traditional match.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know there are good reasons being provided for shifting our games out of Victoria but as a coterie member that handed over $800 last year for no return I would much rather they look at moving this game to the bye week to give the people that turn up week in week out the best possible chance to attend it. Make a call now to flip our bye and if by the middle of that week there is still no prospect of there being any crowd at the G then by all means move it to whatever interstate ground is free. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I might be in fairy land here, but the fact that Regional VIC is opening up tomorrow and 50% workforce is allowed back into the office in the regions actually might be a good sign.

I assume Metro will be at 50% office capacity next Friday 11 June as we usually follow regional VIC shortly after.

When we were at 75% office capacity, 50% were permitted to attend the pre season and round 1 fixtures in Melbourne.

So if 50% office capacity is allowed, wouldn't that theoretically mean that 25% can attend the QB game?

Therefore, 25,000 people at the MCG will be far more than what they'd get at Adelaide Oval or SCG.

People are dreaming if they think they're going to get more than 20,000 to either Sydney or Adelaide.

That may actually happen but we won't know if it's happening until mid/late next week, which is too late to organise and sell tickets.

As the HUN article says, they have to make the call soon so that planning and selling can begin.

The timing is horrendous but right now the goal is to move it somewhere where we can make some money and claw back some of the $1M+ loss we're going to cop.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

That may actually happen but we won't know if it's happening until mid/late next week, which is too late to organise and sell tickets.

As the HUN article says, they have to make the call soon so that planning and selling can begin.

The timing is horrendous but right now the goal is to move it somewhere where we can make some money and claw back some of the $1M+ loss we're going to cop.

1 case today following 57,000 tests... if the same thing follows tomorrow through to Sunday, lockdown may well end early and given the game is still a week away, some sort of crowd should be possible. Of course moving it to the following week makes a lot more sense.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as we all sit here thinking tht having a game in the NT later in the year is a good thing, as we will get money, if we are fighting for a top 4 spot and shortchanging our chances, while getting less exposure to the MCG before finals, I doubt many will be happy.

Pert and Co need to be thinking outside the box. There are ways to raise money via social media and other avenues to make up some of this shortfall. It’s time to pivot. Get fans to hashtag Kayo or FoxFooty during the match and see if we can get a donation per hashtag or @. This is literally how influencers make money. Surely we can explore something like this. Maybe we can get our players to run a vaccination advertisement and the Vic Government can pay us..HHaha. I dunno. It’s all gotta be on the table. We can’t just sit and hope we make up the money at season’s end. 
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Northern Summer said:

1 case today following 57,000 tests... if the same thing follows tomorrow through to Sunday, lockdown may well end early and given the game is still a week away, some sort of crowd should be possible. Of course moving it to the following week makes a lot more sense.

good news today for sure, but I reckon it will take longer than a week to go from lockdown to crowds at the footy. I would imagine no active cases would be required

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Demonland said:

 

Forgive my ignorance but is Queens Birthday public holiday a national day or do different states recognise it on different days?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Pates said:

Forgive my ignorance but is Queens Birthday public holiday a national day or do different states recognise it on different days?

Different states - it is not a public holiday in WA or Queensland I believe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The game confirmed at the SCG if you believe Jon Ralph.

10,000 max you’d expect.

I want to know the financial benefits of playing this game in Sydney as compared to the MCG.

If the benefits are negligible than why are we hosting a game at a venue that we likely won’t playing at in September.

May was well be playing it at the G, at our home ground in preparation for finals.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Different states - it is not a public holiday in WA or Queensland I believe

I had a feeling that was the case, I mean it’s not even the Queens Birthday that day! And they don’t give us in the UK a “bank holiday” for it either! 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    DELTA DEMONS by KC from Casey

    There was an ill wind blowing for the home side at Casey Fields on  Saturday but you wouldn’t have noticed if you turned up seven or eight minutes into the second quarter with the scoreboard showing the Casey Demons holding a lead of 7.5.47 to Footscray’s solitary point. Up to that stage, the depleted Dees combination had taken full advantage of the windy conditions and headed by veterans Nathan Jones, Jimmy Munro and Mitch White had came out of the blocks and plundered the Bulldogs’ defence.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ON THE FLY by George On The Outer

    After spending most of the previous day in the air, flying between Queensland and Victoria, it was hard to imagine the Demons would be at their best.   But this team was on the fly on the field as well and produced a clinical display which saw them record a 98 point win to put aside any questions about the side being out of form.   Certainly, the Suns who have fallen away badly in the second half of the season were their opponents, but with the Demons looking for a confidence boo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS by The Oracle

    This weekend, the Melbourne Football Club was supposed to embark on a tour that started with what looked like an innocent trip to the country’s sunny Gold Coast. However, the Covid19 pandemic intervened to bring them back home for this week at least. Next week, it’s off to the West Coast but conspiracy theorists are already suggesting that this interstate sojourn could take the team all the way across the country over the next month and indeed, there are cynics who even believe that it could bec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

    The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...