Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

Where Will We Play Collingwood? (QB Big Freeze)



Recommended Posts

I know it's a footy match where 4 points is up for grabs but I feel gutted for Neale if this game gets moved. He missed out last year being at the G and now it looks like he won't be there again. After each queens' birthday you wonder if he will be there the following  year and he always is, but gee you just want him to see it at the G with him smiling. 

he has also got some very good sliders there this year. https://fightmnd.org.au/

I was really looking forward to seeing The Whiz and Dais go down the slide and to get Craig Bellamy it would have been awesome. 

If our lockdown ends next Thursday then why can't it go ahead on the Monday? Even if to a reduced crowd. Pies fans have dropped off anyway. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mmmm, a vulnerable post. My father died of MND 5 years ago last Thursday, just as I became a father (and he had his first grandchild), and had a relationship with Neale, through Daniher's Drive .

We got tickets too! My special lady friend and I making the trek up the highway from CBR for the game...my first Big Freeze. Kids (and dogs) will be left at home....fully expect a disaster zone o

Got my tickets! Rpfc is off to the SCG with little bub in tow… let’s call him rpjfc… Wife coming too.   Go Dees!

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Demonland said:

 

I'd support this on the basis that while lockdown restrictions will likely ease next Friday it will be at least a couple of more weeks after that before crowds will be able to attend the footy. Even swapping the bye round would likely see no crowds.

SA is a great footy state and would put on a show befitting the occassion. It would also go a long way to mitigating financial losses while being a neutral ground that we play well at and therefore a suitable substitute for our home game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

I know it's a footy match where 4 points is up for grabs but I feel gutted for Neale if this game gets moved. He missed out last year being at the G and now it looks like he won't be there again. After each queens' birthday you wonder if he will be there the following  year and he always is, but gee you just want him to see it at the G with him smiling. 

he has also got some very good sliders there this year. https://fightmnd.org.au/

I was really looking forward to seeing The Whiz and Dais go down the slide and to get Craig Bellamy it would have been awesome. 

If our lockdown ends next Thursday then why can't it go ahead on the Monday? Even if to a reduced crowd. Pies fans have dropped off anyway. 

I agree with all of the above.

And the numbers today were very good considering 57,000 test were done. All good signs leading towards lock down ending next Thursday or even earlier.

The AFL should hold off from moving this special game until it's absolutely certain we can't have crowds.

And why are some many people getting excited about the prospect of Adelaide Oval? Do we really think the South Australians are going to come out in force to watch a team holding a 2-10 record go about its business?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

Hobart's the place for mine!

Yep, and they'd save on costs by not having to fill the pool with ice.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

And why are some many people getting excited about the prospect of Adelaide Oval? Do we really think the South Australians are going to come out in force to watch a team holding a 2-10 record go about its business?

That's exactly what i was thinking.

Sure there will be plenty of Pies fans in SA, but they can't get cant get 20, 00 people to their games in Victoria.

How many neutrals are going to want to come watch a team that cant kick a goal in a half of footy in perfect condition, and whose coach is happy with that?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, binman said:

That's exactly what i was thinking.

Sure there will be plenty of Pies fans in SA, but they can't get cant get 20, 00 people to their games in Victoria.

How many neutrals are going to want to come watch a team that cant kick a goal in a half of footy in perfect condition, and whose coach is happy with that?  

There’s probably 30000 Port fans who want to see us k1ck the pants off them 

 

/hubrismode

Edited by Superunknown
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

There’s probably 30000 Port fans who want to see us k1ck the pants off them 

 

/hubrismode

Maybe we should wear a prison bar jumper!

image.jpeg.a6face3375616ac1f745d04d942a5cb6.jpeg

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it'll be Sydney

Look how many issues this Coll vs Adelaide game is causing. NSW government far smoother with vic/covid

Link to post
Share on other sites

i think it'll all come down to $$

if nsw bids more to bring the freeze mnd on qb to the scg - and really, for them, i imagine that's a far bigger attraction than the game itself - then we go there

it would've been handy to have played a game on the scg already if that was the case, however, rather than at giants stadum tomorrow night

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, binman said:

How many neutrals are going to want to come watch a team that cant kick a goal in a half of footy in perfect condition, and whose coach is happy with that?

I think that wherever the game is played, it will attract a large crowd, simply because of the occasion and the high regard/admiration, in which Neale Daniher is held within the footballing community and beyond - the Big Freeze is NOT just about footy.  The only down side is that Neale will probably not be able to attend in person, although I hope I'm very wrong about that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be in fairy land here, but the fact that Regional VIC is opening up tomorrow and 50% workforce is allowed back into the office in the regions actually might be a good sign.

I assume Metro will be at 50% office capacity next Friday 11 June as we usually follow regional VIC shortly after.

When we were at 75% office capacity, 50% were permitted to attend the pre season and round 1 fixtures in Melbourne.

So if 50% office capacity is allowed, wouldn't that theoretically mean that 25% can attend the QB game?

Therefore, 25,000 people at the MCG will be far more than what they'd get at Adelaide Oval or SCG.

People are dreaming if they think they're going to get more than 20,000 to either Sydney or Adelaide.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hardtack said:

I think that wherever the game is played, it will attract a large crowd, simply because of the occasion and the high regard/admiration, in which Neale Daniher is held within the footballing community and beyond - the Big Freeze is NOT just about footy.  The only down side is that Neale will probably not be able to attend in person, although I hope I'm very wrong about that.

It's a fantastic cause but it's not going to get people attending in their droves so see a 2 win side mired in the bottom 4.

This game will not have a patch on the dream time game in terms of marketability. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A decision by the AFL is imminent regarding the location of Melbourne’s Queen’s Birthday clash, but the Dees are not perturbed as long as they have one necessary ingredient.

Spoiler Alert - it's fans. 

The AFL will announce its decision to move the Queen’s Birthday clash away from the MCG by Friday afternoon as its path to scheduling Round 13 games has been smoothed by strict player bubbles in Victoria.

It is understood the league will not allow the marquee Melbourne-Collingwood contest to be played in front of an empty stadium.

As Melbourne’s Covid-19 lockdown extends into a second week, the Adelaide Oval and SCG are leading contenders to host the traditional match.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there are good reasons being provided for shifting our games out of Victoria but as a coterie member that handed over $800 last year for no return I would much rather they look at moving this game to the bye week to give the people that turn up week in week out the best possible chance to attend it. Make a call now to flip our bye and if by the middle of that week there is still no prospect of there being any crowd at the G then by all means move it to whatever interstate ground is free. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I might be in fairy land here, but the fact that Regional VIC is opening up tomorrow and 50% workforce is allowed back into the office in the regions actually might be a good sign.

I assume Metro will be at 50% office capacity next Friday 11 June as we usually follow regional VIC shortly after.

When we were at 75% office capacity, 50% were permitted to attend the pre season and round 1 fixtures in Melbourne.

So if 50% office capacity is allowed, wouldn't that theoretically mean that 25% can attend the QB game?

Therefore, 25,000 people at the MCG will be far more than what they'd get at Adelaide Oval or SCG.

People are dreaming if they think they're going to get more than 20,000 to either Sydney or Adelaide.

That may actually happen but we won't know if it's happening until mid/late next week, which is too late to organise and sell tickets.

As the HUN article says, they have to make the call soon so that planning and selling can begin.

The timing is horrendous but right now the goal is to move it somewhere where we can make some money and claw back some of the $1M+ loss we're going to cop.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

That may actually happen but we won't know if it's happening until mid/late next week, which is too late to organise and sell tickets.

As the HUN article says, they have to make the call soon so that planning and selling can begin.

The timing is horrendous but right now the goal is to move it somewhere where we can make some money and claw back some of the $1M+ loss we're going to cop.

1 case today following 57,000 tests... if the same thing follows tomorrow through to Sunday, lockdown may well end early and given the game is still a week away, some sort of crowd should be possible. Of course moving it to the following week makes a lot more sense.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as we all sit here thinking tht having a game in the NT later in the year is a good thing, as we will get money, if we are fighting for a top 4 spot and shortchanging our chances, while getting less exposure to the MCG before finals, I doubt many will be happy.

Pert and Co need to be thinking outside the box. There are ways to raise money via social media and other avenues to make up some of this shortfall. It’s time to pivot. Get fans to hashtag Kayo or FoxFooty during the match and see if we can get a donation per hashtag or @. This is literally how influencers make money. Surely we can explore something like this. Maybe we can get our players to run a vaccination advertisement and the Vic Government can pay us..HHaha. I dunno. It’s all gotta be on the table. We can’t just sit and hope we make up the money at season’s end. 
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Northern Summer said:

1 case today following 57,000 tests... if the same thing follows tomorrow through to Sunday, lockdown may well end early and given the game is still a week away, some sort of crowd should be possible. Of course moving it to the following week makes a lot more sense.

good news today for sure, but I reckon it will take longer than a week to go from lockdown to crowds at the footy. I would imagine no active cases would be required

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Demonland said:

 

Forgive my ignorance but is Queens Birthday public holiday a national day or do different states recognise it on different days?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pates said:

Forgive my ignorance but is Queens Birthday public holiday a national day or do different states recognise it on different days?

Different states - it is not a public holiday in WA or Queensland I believe

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The game confirmed at the SCG if you believe Jon Ralph.

10,000 max you’d expect.

I want to know the financial benefits of playing this game in Sydney as compared to the MCG.

If the benefits are negligible than why are we hosting a game at a venue that we likely won’t playing at in September.

May was well be playing it at the G, at our home ground in preparation for finals.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Different states - it is not a public holiday in WA or Queensland I believe

I had a feeling that was the case, I mean it’s not even the Queens Birthday that day! And they don’t give us in the UK a “bank holiday” for it either! 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HOT PIES FREEZE DEES by George on the Outer

    In the Annual Big Freeze game in support of Neale Daniher's fight against MND, it was Collingwood who froze the ambitions of the Demons, and it now challenges them to thaw out their prospects in the second half of the season. Even though Melbourne opened the scoring account, it was quickly countered by Collingwood, as the Demons appeared flat. And even though they held a minor lead at the first break, it was only through a couple of fortunate efforts, but nothing more.  All around

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne supporters are an unusual lot. Their lived experiences over years of witnessing their team’s humiliation at the hands of the competition’s bullies have left them suspended in a Bizarro World beset by a cognitive distortion know as 'mental filtering'. This is a phenomenon that occurs when people focus exclusively and blindly on long held belief systems. They refuse to accept that conditions have changed so when the evidence is present before their very own eyes, their minds are frozen.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 4

    CHANGES: 2021 MID SEASON by The Oracle 

    Since the end of the 2020 free agency, trade and draft period, AFL clubs have had two further bites of the cherry to top up their lists — the supplemental selection period (SSP) and the 2021 mid-season rookie draft (MSD). The main idea behind both was to enable the fulfillment of immediate needs as a result of injuries or unexpected retirements but this year, we have seen the added dimension of straight out recruitment for the future rather than for now. As a consequence, a number of ready

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    LION TAMERS by George On The Outer

    In an enthralling game between two top four sides, it was the Demons who tamed the Lions, and propelled themselves into the position of premiership favourite even though the season is barely past the halfway mark. This is because Melbourne keeps on beating those teams around them who might provide a challenge. Not only that, it keeps winning with emphatic displays of resilience and toughness that have not been seen in a Demons side for many, many years. Challenged in the first half of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DUELING BANJOS by Whispering Jack

    In the classic Australian poem, A B “Banjo” Paterson sought the answer by letter to a question concerning the whereabouts of a drover named “Clancy”. The response from Clancy’s shearing mate was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar: “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.” Most of us would have felt a little bit that way earlier in the week wondering about the possible whereabouts of the Melbourne team for this week’s encounter against Brisbane. Were th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOGGED DEEFENCE by George on the Outer

    “No-one let the Dogs out” was the Demons response for the (former) top side.  The Melbourne defence, capably lead by Steven May and Jake Lever simply suffocated any hopes that the Western Bulldogs might have had about leading the competition at the mid-way point. Instead, it is the Demons who now sit at the top of the ladder, again a game clear, while their supporters are starting to believe that this side is the real deal.  Pity is that those same supporters couldn’t watch their team demol

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LOOK AWAY DEMON FANS by The Oracle

    Last week I predicted a comfortable Melbourne victory for its game against Adelaide. “Something in the order of 61 points”, I opined. Well, after the game, I checked the wording of my preview very carefully from all angles and I have now concluded that I have to issue an apology to Demon fans. I got it wrong. I’m not bitter and twisted about my error in failing to predict the coaching errors, defensive mistakes, lack of forward pressure and, of course, the complete failure of those officiat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CALM BEFORE THE CALM by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a sluggish first half to run over the Sydney Swans in the second to record an emphatic 40 point victory, maintaining their undefeated record and retaining top spot on the VFL ladder. The game originally listed as part of the Round 4 fixture but delayed due to a Covid19 scare in Sydney and the scrappy way in which the teams approached the contest suggested that the players were still in delay mode. This applied in particular to most of the 12 AFL listed Casey player

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NOTHING TO CROW ABOUT by George On The Outer

    Melbourne’s nine game winning streak  came to an end in Adelaide with a one point loss to the Crows. Losing to a team that had only won three games for the season, having lost five in a row was certainly nothing to crow about.  All around the ground players collectively put in their poorest performance for the year.  The loss of Christian Salem before the match was critical, as his replacement Nev Jetta is a mere shadow the player he once was. The mind is still willing, but the body no

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CRYING OVER SPILT MILK by The Oracle

    It had to happen sooner or later. Melbourne has been riding high through the season to date and, with the exception of a small bunch of nuff nuffs who are never satisfied with anything, the club has attracted more positive vibes from the community in these nine weeks than it did in the past decade. So it came as no surprise to see some low grade stirring of the sort which only the media could come up with at a time like this. The on line site Zero Hanger came up with an article that opined,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CATNIPPED by KC from Casey

    After winning big away from home across the first three rounds of the new look VFL competition, the Casey Demons were forced to dig deep against Geelong VFL at Casey Fields on Saturday. The traditional AFL based teams were evenly matched, fielding ten listed players apiece and this was reflected in the evenness of the game and the final margin which saw the home side leading by a solitary point on the final siren. Casey suffered an early blow when Jake Bowey came off with what ap

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    BLUES IN THE RED by George On The Outer

    While the Demons’ undefeated run continues unabated now at 9-0 their emphatic 26 point victory pushed the Blues to their sixth loss for the season and deeper into the red for the year. While Melbourne opened proceedings with an early goal, the Blues responded with the next two to grab an early lead.  However, as has happened in so many games this year, the Demons fought back to lead by just over a goal come the first break. This narrow lead was part of a streak either side of quarter t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...