Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 12 vs Brisbane

Demonland

4 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Yes but why is he covering that ground? Does the FD want Brown to cover that ground as well, and he's not capable of it? Or do they not care if Weid covers that ground but he finds himself doing it to try to get his hands on the ball more?

Either way I find it interesting.

Doesn't change the fact that right now Weid's got the spot and he's not going to lose it back to Brown until Brown's form improves.

But if Brown's form does improve, Weid's needs to improve.

Yeah it's hard to know for sure without hearing from the coaches, but I guess the fact that they seem to rotate with each other means it's a fairly similar role at least. We even saw Brown getting way up the ground on occasions when he was in the team. I do wonder if he's not quite settled yet as far as his fitness goes. To me he doesn't look to be moving as well as previous years so far.

I don't think Brown will need to do anything over the top to get back in the team unless Weid performs really strongly from here.

Edited by Lord Nev

1 hour ago, A F said:

Agree on Baker. I wonder if Salem might be the better bet on the wing and JJ to the quarterback role Salem has been playing. 

That said, if they'd thought Salem was even a potential back up wingman they would have tried him there by now.

I hope JJs emergence as a clean, good decision maker allows us to play Salem up the ground a bit. If Salem's ball use can be utilised as the attacking winger it might be very dangerous for Brisbane.

If Salem’s fatigued with soreness I reckon it would be madness to ask him to do a mountain of running on the wing. Surely the aim is to manage him until the bye.

JJ’s clean hands have been excellent but he hasn’t looked natural in aerial contests and his kicking is very hit and miss. I don’t think he suits half back at all. 

If it’s not Baker I’d go JJ to the wing with an extra mid coming in (Sparrow and/or Jones).

I’d save the option of a Hunt/Brayshaw swap in game if plan A fails and we need speed on the outside. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, binman said:

Sure. But 3 games ago is ok isn't it?

Brown well against the swans and was an important factor in our win with key goals, strong marks and big aerial contests. He imposed himself on the game

Facts are that nothing weed has done since coming in had been at that level. He hadn't imposed himself at all. And of his 40 odd games I reckon I could count on one hand games has.  

So his 'merit',  such as it is all on potential. 

But let's leave it nev  Weed is in. And will likely stay in this week The coaches agree with you. So your case is strong

I sincerely hope he imposes himself against the lions and really puts it all together. 

Yet to kick more than three goals in any his 46 games. And only on three occasions have three goals been kicked. Still waiting for the break-out game, and as Tom Petty sang “the waiting is the hardest part”. 

40 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

If Salem’s fatigued with soreness I reckon it would be madness to ask him to do a mountain of running on the wing. Surely the aim is to manage him until the bye.

JJ’s clean hands have been excellent but he hasn’t looked natural in aerial contests and his kicking is very hit and miss. I don’t think he suits half back at all. 

If it’s not Baker I’d go JJ to the wing with an extra mid coming in (Sparrow and/or Jones).

I’d save the option of a Hunt/Brayshaw swap in game if plan A fails and we need speed on the outside. 

Salem had a shocker against the Dogs. Needs to eliminate his hollywood handballs over his head.

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 9:15 AM, Webber said:

Rivers to wing (safer than Hunt and he’s going to end up a midfielder anyway), Lockhart in to halfback. 

I like this too, but I'd like to see Rivers vs Cameron. But I guess Hibberd could get the nod there.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:01 AM, Nasher said:

Interesting choice. On gut feel I like it. Does he have the tank?

@big_red_fire_enginemade the point about the team being based on roles and that Langdon’s replacement will come out of the wing role pool. It’s spot on but I disagree with his conclusion that it has to be someone from the VFL team. Brayshaw has said on the podcast that all players have a second role that they train and practice in, even if they don’t necessarily use it in AFL matches. 

I wonder whose second role is “wing”? The pool of players available to replace Langdon are players currently in the side who are nominated as capable wingers, and the full time wingers in the VFL. We don’t know who is in the former group, but what I’m absolutely certain about is that they won’t play a player in there who hasn’t previously trained for it, which may exclude the likes of Rivers, but who knows?

I hadn't heard this. Fascinating insight. I love the idea and it certainly makes sense for players to train two roles. In that case, I wonder what Salem's other role is.

5 minutes ago, A F said:

I like this too, but I'd like to see Rivers vs Cameron. But I guess Hibberd could get the nod there.

I hadn't heard this. Fascinating insight. I love the idea and it certainly makes sense for players to train two roles. In that case, I wonder what Salem's other role is.

Salem’s other role is team hairdresser 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 5/29/2021 at 12:38 PM, big_red_fire_engine said:

The other option is Harmes goes to McLuggage on the wing and Sparrow comes in to the midfield rotation. 

We lose too much offence if we play a negating role on the attacking wing. Unless we flip Brayshaw to the attacking wing.

I think I prefer Gus playing defensive wing and Salem, Rivers, Hunt, Jordon or even Jackson or Hibberd playing the attacking wing.

That said, I do like Harmes' ability to negate and attack, so maybe I'm talking myself into your idea. ?

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Since how is this actual criticism of his game?

Jordon is an inside mid who can also go on the outside. His not in the side to provide aerial contests. His in the team purely to play a simple role in our midfield winning the inside contest and then providing an extra option on the outside.  

In fact I've never even seen him being beaten in a one on one contest from an aerial contest point of view.

Sometimes you just nit pick the weirdest [censored] Spence..

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Since how is this actual criticism of his game?

Jordon is an inside mid who can also go on the outside. His not in the side to provide aerial contests. His in the team purely to play a simple role in our midfield winning the inside contest and then providing an extra option on the outside.  

In fact I've never even seen him being beaten in a one on one contest from an aerial contest point of view.

Sometimes you just nit pick the weirdest [censored] Spence..

My post was in a response to a suggestion JJ goes to half back. All the things you’ve said are true and he’s a great competitor. But if he went to half back spoiling and intercept marking would become very important. Compared with Salem, Rivers or even someone like Gus I don’t think that’s a huge part of his game right now. In my opinion in limited opportunities he hasn’t looked as developed in that part of his game as tackling or clean hands or plenty of other things he does well. I don’t think that’s controversial or nit picking.

4 hours ago, Pollyanna said:

Tackles of randomly selected KPFs this round so far:

Naughton 0, Weid 1, Max King 1, J.Kennedy 1, Hipwood 2, Ben King 2, Hawkins 2

And to be fair, as soon as the ball hits the ground, Harry McKay is as soft as butter. Elite in the air, but after that is pretty ordinary. That persistent shoulder issue probably isn't helping though to be fair.

2 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Yet to kick more than three goals in any his 46 games. And only on three occasions have three goals been kicked. Still waiting for the break-out game, and as Tom Petty sang “the waiting is the hardest part”. 

I reckon the whole concept of 'break out games' is a bit of a myth.

22 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I certainly dont know what Tmac has done but he could market it and make millions.

Last year he could barely move. I saw him running last night and he was super fast. Yes he was sprinting and moving at great speed for a bloke his size especially in a late stage of the game.

Its a great turn around. Credit to him and the fitness and or medical staff.

An incredible transformation.

As much as we talk about bb, sam, May, Max and Oliver....I really believe Tom is the key to us winning a flag.

Sounds like a big call but he is our best forward easily....more so than Fritta. When he is on which has been most games this year, he is very dangerous. His marking around the ground in several games has been prolific.. hes deadly accurate on goal....he tackles hard and as mentioned his running is awesome. 

I said when Hogan left if TMac didn't fire we would be in trouble and so it transpired. Now he's back in form we see the difference. But of course the whole side has improved.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Steve said:

Inch of luck last Friday and the Weid takes 8 marks and kicks 6 or 7 goals. 

I think that should be a lot of luck.

• Like 2

Baker preferably on the wing otherwise JJ . If we play in the night , I wouldn't consider B.Brown , Daw maybe . Weid to be given another chance.

4 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

I reckon the whole concept of 'break out games' is a bit of a myth.

That’s a fair call. Many players who ultimately become crucial to their team’s success edge their way there through grit n’ grind, but I think it’s fair to say that all the “stars” of AFL invariably had that one match that made people sit up and take notice, and followed on from there. So maybe Weid won’t be a star, but he needs to put the work in to become crucial. 

• Like 1

Having a think about the changes, will a bit of it depend on which ground we play at? If it's at the SCG, being a smaller ground, the idea of having a player that can run all day on a smaller ground might not be so required. I think at the SCG Hibberd would be really suited to the wing role, he has a penetrating kick and has an amazing ability to get himself out of trouble. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pates said:

Having a think about the changes, will a bit of it depend on which ground we play at? If it's at the SCG, being a smaller ground, the idea of having a player that can run all day on a smaller ground might not be so required. I think at the SCG Hibberd would be really suited to the wing role, he has a penetrating kick and has an amazing ability to get himself out of trouble. 

Hibberd will be on Cameron.

• Like 1

This post might upset a few people but hasn't Vanders regularly played wing?

Heard he was back fit again. While his kicking is miss and hit, you can't deny he brings a certain physicality to the game. I'd much prefer him to Baker particularly if it is a one-off..

Edited by dee-tox

6 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

That’s a fair call. Many players who ultimately become crucial to their team’s success edge their way there through grit n’ grind, but I think it’s fair to say that all the “stars” of AFL invariably had that one match that made people sit up and take notice, and followed on from there. So maybe Weid won’t be a star, but he needs to put the work in to become crucial. 

I thought his break out game was the final against Geelong in 2018. Although starting to look more like a false dawn unfortunately.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:21 AM, Return to Glory said:

I’m a fan of Bowey too Jaded but I’d rather introduce him in the Collingwood game. Will be that extra ‘link player’ we are after but playing a first game in humid, slippery conditions may be a big ask. 

FCS all those who equate Alice conditions to Darwin, get real and check the facts. 
Alice on a winter’s night is actually cold and starts dry until the dew settles.  
Totally opposite of hot humid Darwin.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

I feel like this is how TMac became the player he is now, he stuck with roles and knuckled down to make sure he was contributing regularly. 

He just seems to be a deer in headlights when he plays at senior level. 

6 minutes ago, monoccular said:

FCS all those who equate Alice conditions to Darwin, get real and check the facts. 
Alice on a winter’s night is actually cold and starts dry until the dew settles.  
Totally opposite of hot humid Darwin.  

We’ve been playing in Alice for long enough, I don’t know how people don’t know this. Quite often the conditions there are absolutely perfect. 

2 hours ago, dee-tox said:

This post might upset a few people but hasn't Vanders regularly played wing?

Heard he was back fit again. While his kicking is miss and hit, you can't deny he brings a certain physicality to the game. I'd much prefer him to Baker particularly if it is a one-off..

Vanders and Mitch Robinson going head to head.  I like it!

• Like 2

For everyone questioning Weids defensive efforts, I suggest you watch the End of the second quarter. 20 sec left. Best tackle of the game!! Bet Crozier would agree.

0DF9E7D4-6EE6-4F15-A5FA-AC07FAFB4DFA.jpeg

95A1E0C0-5B22-4E0D-AA9B-D701B72229EF.jpeg

81A5BC57-DF2B-4025-A500-8C019E6E013D.jpeg

• Like 3