Jump to content

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview     

Casey & Other VFL Games Cancelled



Recommended Posts


  • 3 weeks later...

VFL games are back on this weekend. Unfortunately for our boys the AFL bye means Casey will also have a bye. Shame for our fringe and young players that need some game conditioning and experience.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nascent said:

VFL games are back on this weekend. Unfortunately for our boys the AFL bye means Casey will also have a bye. Shame for our fringe and young players that need some game conditioning and experience.

Why aren’t they at least trying to play some make up games between those with a bye? Or Scratch matches  

image.png

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Why aren’t they at least trying to play some make up games between those with a bye? Or Scratch matches  

image.png

I assume they will, they apparently did that last weekend.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Nascent said:

VFL games are back on this weekend. Unfortunately for our boys the AFL bye means Casey will also have a bye. Shame for our fringe and young players that need some game conditioning and experience.

That stinks. Every effort should be made to give the wannabes a game. They must be incredibly frustrated at not being able to play and press for selection.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

That stinks. Every effort should be made to give the wannabes a game. They must be incredibly frustrated at not being able to play and press for selection.

Victoria has an embarrassment of incompetent administrators, be it at government or sporting level.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

they've already had 2 "byes", so lets give them another bye this weekend. just because we can.....ffs

i really wonder about the intelligence of some afl/vfl administrators

the vfl fixturing and scheduling has been a joke for quite a few years, especially given it is the development process for the supposedly most professional (and profitable) football organisation in the country

words just fail me

  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

they've already had 2 "byes", so lets give them another bye this weekend. just because we can.....ffs

i really wonder about the intelligence of some afl/vfl administrators

the vfl fixturing and scheduling has been a joke for quite a few years, especially given it is the development process for the supposedly most professional (and profitable) football organisation in the country

words just fail me

Yep, they have really * ucked it up bigtime.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolute joke. Just had two bye rounds. Players are ready to go.  
It’s another example of crazy administration. 
Second best comp behind the AFL. Not judging by the incompetence of the administration.  Really??? Demons should be speaking with Pies about a scratch match to keep players fresh and match ready.  Similar to those organised last year during the hub in Queensland. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Surely it’s only a matter of time until a group of young players force the AFLPA to do something about the VFL. They only get one shot at their careers, and they haven’t been given a fair shot to develop their careers.

I hope they do because the AFLPA is the only organisation that can fix this. The AFL won’t because they’d have to admit they’ve stuffed it up, and gutted the competition completely, and the VFL as an organisation is trying to hold on to itself in name only because it’s just a shell of what it was.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think you'll find VFL byes are aligned with their AFL clubs who also have byes this weekend.

This is so to give everyone on the list a complete rest, or chance for players to use the extended break as an opportunity to go home to be with their families. 

And yes I've taken into account they've had a couple of weeks off..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Think you'll find VFL byes are aligned with their AFL clubs who also have byes this weekend.

This is so to give everyone on the list a complete rest, or chance for players to use the extended break as an opportunity to go home to be with their families. 

And yes I've taken into account they've had a couple of weeks off..

They have been in lock down so can't go anywhere or be with anyone and you can't suggest there wouldn't be enough players putting their hand up to play this weekend. That is a non-argument Dazzle

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Absolute joke. Just had two bye rounds. Players are ready to go.  
It’s another example of crazy administration. 
Second best comp behind the AFL. Not judging by the incompetence of the administration.  Really??? Demons should be speaking with Pies about a scratch match to keep players fresh and match ready.  Similar to those organised last year during the hub in Queensland. 

I can't believe this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Think you'll find VFL byes are aligned with their AFL clubs who also have byes this weekend.

This is so to give everyone on the list a complete rest, or chance for players to use the extended break as an opportunity to go home to be with their families. 

And yes I've taken into account they've had a couple of weeks off..

not completely so, dazzle

the vfl have many more byes in the season and the season starts weeks after afl

there is a real disconnection

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, deespicable me said:

They have been in lock down so can't go anywhere or be with anyone and you can't suggest there wouldn't be enough players putting their hand up to play this weekend. That is a non-argument Dazzle

No you've missed my point.

They've got the VFL bye aligned with the AFL because AFLPA wanted all players to be using that as an extended break from all things football. This is why our playing list is not due back at training until this Saturday morning, instead of the normal week routine.

During the covid lockdown our 2nds players were still playing intra club matches with other clubs involved. So players will still get picked on that form as Goodwin publicly stated on his post match conference. 

While it's not the same intensity as VFL it's not like the fringe players haven't been playing footy.

I've always had issues around the VFL fixturing as for some unknown reason their round 1 season always starts round 4 of the AFL which is really a joke in itself. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

not completely so, dazzle

the vfl have many more byes in the season and the season starts weeks after afl

there is a real disconnection

Mate look at the other teams that have got byes in the VFL as well? Their respective AFL clubs all have byes this weekend also.

Are people not understanding that it's purely the fact that it was mandatory that during AFL byes every player on the list were given extended time off from the their footy club to rest and reset. They didn't want senior players having time off and then fringe/rookies still coming to the footy club to continue to train while their AFL boys who had played, were on their 6 day time off from the footy club.

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Demonland said:

Why aren’t they at least trying to play some make up games between those with a bye? Or Scratch matches  

image.png

But that they have been doing this during the covid period. Our fringe and rookie players played in a practice match in Sydney last weekend and also the week before where it was reported Kade Chandler kicked 4 goals.

So players are still going to get rewarded on that form also even though it may not be VFL intensity. 

  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

our vfl side has played 5 games this season. the afl 13

this weekend was an opportunity to catch up somewhat

it's inexplicable

The inexplicable part with that the VFL round 1 didn't even start until AFL round 4. 

Bizarre scheduling. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

But that they have been doing this during the covid period. Our fringe and rookie players played in a practice match in Sydney last weekend and also the week before where it was reported Kade Chandler kicked 4 goals.

So players are still going to get rewarded on that form also even though it may not be VFL intensity. 

Thanks Dazzle but where has this information been shown, still makes no sense to me, how do you find real match fitness coming back from injury with three enforced byes in a row, it’s Time the AFL hired some realists among their ranks. By the time Casey play again people will have lost interest.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Mate look at the other teams that have got byes in the VFL as well? Their respective AFL clubs all have byes this weekend also.

Are people not understanding that it's purely the fact that it was mandatory that during AFL byes every player on the list were given extended time off from the their footy club to rest and reset. They didn't want senior players having time off and then fringe/rookies still coming to the footy club to continue to train while their AFL boys who had played, were on their 6 day time off from the footy club.

 

It doesn't make it right though Dazzle. Extenuating circumstances and all.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Win4theAges said:

It doesn't make it right though Dazzle. Extenuating circumstances and all.

Yeah I know mate it's really frustrating and it's just unfortunate that the week that VFL is scheduled back, it's also the week where our AFL team has it's bye.

I'm just trying to explain the demographic side of things even though I don't agree with it also

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DELTA DEMONS by KC from Casey

    There was an ill wind blowing for the home side at Casey Fields on  Saturday but you wouldn’t have noticed if you turned up seven or eight minutes into the second quarter with the scoreboard showing the Casey Demons holding a lead of 7.5.47 to Footscray’s solitary point. Up to that stage, the depleted Dees combination had taken full advantage of the windy conditions and headed by veterans Nathan Jones, Jimmy Munro and Mitch White had came out of the blocks and plundered the Bulldogs’ defence.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ON THE FLY by George On The Outer

    After spending most of the previous day in the air, flying between Queensland and Victoria, it was hard to imagine the Demons would be at their best.   But this team was on the fly on the field as well and produced a clinical display which saw them record a 98 point win to put aside any questions about the side being out of form.   Certainly, the Suns who have fallen away badly in the second half of the season were their opponents, but with the Demons looking for a confidence boo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS by The Oracle

    This weekend, the Melbourne Football Club was supposed to embark on a tour that started with what looked like an innocent trip to the country’s sunny Gold Coast. However, the Covid19 pandemic intervened to bring them back home for this week at least. Next week, it’s off to the West Coast but conspiracy theorists are already suggesting that this interstate sojourn could take the team all the way across the country over the next month and indeed, there are cynics who even believe that it could bec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

×
×
  • Create New...