Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, binman said:

Not wanting to single you out jaded, but is a widely held view that, in my opinion does not hold up to scrutiny. 

The Northern beaches stated with a single transmission and very soon the much vaunted NSW contract tracing team were not able to keep up and lockdown was called for only days after the first case.

By the end of the outbreak 151 cases were linked to the cluster and the lockdown had lasted 3 weeks. This despite it being relatively small population, a population that does not move around greater Sydney much, minimal exposure sites and a contained location with natural boundaries.

And that lockdown happened over the XMAS period so businesses were smashed and families separated. 

As anyone who knows that part of Sydney, the NSW government was extremely lucky the outbreak was in the Northern beaches, not say the west of Sydney (which is geographically very similar to Melbourne). Our equivalent might have been an out break on the Morning Peninsula, which could be isolated in a matter of hours if needed. 

Our current outbreak (which largely came from leak from a SA hotel) is almost exactly the same in number, yet we are out of lockdown in two weeks. And we have huge population, hundreds of exposure sites, a highly transient population in terms of movement around the city and basically no natural boundaries.

Really, by any measure Victoria's contract tracing and related responses (eg exposure sites) has been extraordinary in this current outbreak. 

It is worth noting that we had the Black Rock cluster that was related the Northern beaches outbreak and we only had a brief lockdown. WA had a lockdown as did SA, after very low numbers. The one in WA cost the dockers and eagles millions. 

People made fun of the restrictions SA put on the pies and cats going into their state, were amazed at the hard lock down WA applied, shocked in the hard line Qld have taken this time to travel from Victoria etc et. That is all examples of very risk averse state governments 

The NZ government has had a couple of snap lockdowns after very low numbers

And the bleating from the Liberal party in Victoria is completely hollow, becuase they would have made exactly the same decision to lockdown if in government. 

The problem is that as a country we have decided to implement an elimination strategy. Not a suppression strategy, an elimination strategy. I'm amazed Andrews and co have not pointed this out previously, but finally Sutton did so on Tuesday

As Sutton said, we can't 'grumble along with one or two cases a day' and live the life we have been living (full pubs, everyone back in the office, 50k at the footy, packed trains. Because the numbers would eventually explode. As they have in Taiwan, a country that is also taking an elimination strategy.

In that scenario eventually restrictions have to come into place that as Bing points out has been a feature of much of the world whilst we go about our covid free lives.

There is not one example in the world of a country that has been able to effectively implement a suppression strategy. We have called our strategy suppression but that is bollocks. Arguably there is no such thing as it eventually gets away from health authorities.  The only two real strategies are elimination or stem the tide/minimise the impact. 

Even if they are not pure lockdown like we had last year (which in an case lots of countries have had of course), if there are enough restrictions it doesn't look much different. 

We can't have our cake and eat it too. Enjoy the benefits of no covid in our community and put up with the risk of lockdowns. Or accept living with covid and risk not living covid free (eg masks everywhere, all the time, no live sport etc etc).

We have collectively chosen the former. And so have to accept lockdown are likely to occur.

Of course the big problem is that it is dead obvious that a key plank of the elimination strategy should have been a war time like focus on national vaccination program with a super ambitious goal to say to vaccinate 80% of the population by Easter, or 1 July 2021 or some such. Call a national holiday to celebrate, once achieved.

Which of course would have been hard, but not having covid in the community and all the testing infrastructure in place gave us a huge opportunity other countries haven't.

Yesterday Seattle became the first major city in America to fully vaccinate 70% of residents 12 and up against COVID-19.

Fully vaccinate - so two shots for everyone over the age of 12. Seattle is not much smaller than Melbourne for Pete's sake!

I'll save my anger for the federal government. 

You make valid points and as I said before, our elimination strategy is great except at all levels of government our only solution to achieve that is to go into lockdowns, even 18 months on. Lockdowns are hugely costly and should not be the go to, when we’ve been yelling about vaccinations and proper quarantine hubs for a year. 
As you said our vaccination roll out has been a joke and we still quarantine people in densely packed CBD hotels. The mind boggles. 
 

Forget Seattle, my family is in Israel and they have been 80% fully vaccinated for months. Population 8 odd million, including some challenging communities of Orthodox Jews and Israeli Arabs. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe the AFL can just give us the 4 points after initially taking it away from us last week.

Rabid dogs?

Which is why i refuse to take the contraceptive pill

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Jaded said:

You make valid points and as I said before, our elimination strategy is great except at all levels of government our only solution to achieve that is to go into lockdowns, even 18 months on. Lockdowns are hugely costly and should not be the go to, when we’ve been yelling about vaccinations and proper quarantine hubs for a year. 
As you said our vaccination roll out has been a joke and we still quarantine people in densely packed CBD hotels. The mind boggles. 
 

Forget Seattle, my family is in Israel and they have been 80% fully vaccinated for months. Population 8 odd million, including some challenging communities of Orthodox Jews and Israeli Arabs. 

Lockdowns are the only option at this point in time.

But only because as you say the vaccination and quarantine programs have been a total joke.

We wouldn't need to Lockdowns at all if they had got those two things right.

And we could have enjoyed all the benefits of a covid free community without the risk of a lockdown.

Every state in the country would have locked down faced with the scenario we faced. 

And likely one will have to by the end of winter.

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

AFL crowds for Round 14 are expected to start at 50 per cent capacity in Melbourne then take about a month to build to 85 per cent capacity.

The league could have as many as three of its five Round 14 games in Melbourne, including Hawthorn’s home game against Essendon at the MCG.

The league will need to lodge a detailed plan with the Victorian Government’s Public Events Framework to be granted permission for crowds next week.

All of the Round 14 games in Melbourne present varying challenges for the AFL and State Government.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, binman said:

Lockdowns are the only option at this point in time.

But only because as you say the vaccination and quarantine programs have been a total joke.

We wouldn't need to Lockdowns at all if they had got those two things right.

And we could have enjoyed all the benefits of a covid free community without the risk of a lockdown.

Every state in the country would have locked down faced with the scenario we faced. 

And likely one will have to by the end of winter.

The quarantine hotels have been far from a joke, they’ve been the envy of most of the world. They haven’t been 100% full proof largely because they hotels (particularly in Melbourne I suspect) haven’t been built to act in this capacity. 

Because Australia has been the quarantine capitol of the world it’s meant the vaccination program hasn’t needed to be expedited unlike the UK and US where the virus is so prominent in the community the only way to fight back was to get a successful vaccine program rolled out quickly. Now that people realise a return to proper normal life won’t happen without vaccines the government is (rightfully) copping it for their lethargic approach to promoting vaccinations and also making sure enough doses exist.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DemonLad5 said:

AFL crowds for Round 14 are expected to start at 50 per cent capacity in Melbourne then take about a month to build to 85 per cent capacity.

The league could have as many as three of its five Round 14 games in Melbourne, including Hawthorn’s home game against Essendon at the MCG.

The league will need to lodge a detailed plan with the Victorian Government’s Public Events Framework to be granted permission for crowds next week.

All of the Round 14 games in Melbourne present varying challenges for the AFL and State Government.

Thanks for posting the article DL5.

That's a promising development in terms of having crowds for the Essendon and GWS games at the G.

Zero cases today will only help this development.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pates said:

The quarantine hotels have been far from a joke, they’ve been the envy of most of the world. They haven’t been 100% full proof largely because they hotels (particularly in Melbourne I suspect) haven’t been built to act in this capacity. 

Because Australia has been the quarantine capitol of the world it’s meant the vaccination program hasn’t needed to be expedited unlike the UK and US where the virus is so prominent in the community the only way to fight back was to get a successful vaccine program rolled out quickly. Now that people realise a return to proper normal life won’t happen without vaccines the government is (rightfully) copping it for their lethargic approach to promoting vaccinations and also making sure enough doses exist.  

The first lockdown in Melbourne was related to a pretty big stuff up in the hotels, but you are  right the quarantine hotel programs around the country have been amazing in terms of the statistically very small numbers of cases that have escaped. Particularly given how ill suited the buildings are for the job. 

That said it is concerning there are no national standards yet and it seems insane how long it took governments to take aerosol transmission seriously. 

I should have been clearer. I meant the overall quarantine program strategy, which is the responsibility of the federal government, has been a joke, not the individual programs.

Again it is related to choosing to go down the suppression/elimination road.  Once the feds, with the full support of every state government (and the majority of Australians i suspect) decided elimination was the strategy then using hotel quarantine as the key plank of the quarantine strategy was clearly a bad decsion.

The problem is, is hat as you say it is impossible for the hotels to be 100% full proof. The are not fit for purpose.

Which would be fine if we had not decided on an suppression/elimination strategy.

If we had decided on say a containment strategy (like the UK, the states and pretty much all of Europe) that focused on stopping the numbers overwhelming health systems, there would always be community transmission and cases circulating in the population. So the occasional leak from a hotel would be of little consequence. 

But in a zero covid environment where there are no cases and no community transmission even one case that escapes a hotel can have disastrous consequences.  Pretty much every lockdown that ash occurred in Australia has been related to breaches from hotels.

Think of the economic impact of even a 3 day lockdown, let alone a 2 week or six months one. Lockdowns have cost the Australian economy hundreds of billions of dollars. 

It was evident from the very beginning Howard Springs type facilities they have belatedly agreed to start building were what was required given the decision to go down the suppression/elimination road. Perhaps not as the only option, but certainly the major one.   

And the feds should have taken control of that process. Leaving aside the fact quarantine is their responsibility, they have access to crown land, army engineers and enough resources.

If they had got on their bike in April last year, and ensured purpose built facilities were built in every state they would have been completed by end of 2021. And whilst there would likely to have still been some leakage, each lockdown prevented would pay for their construction 10 times over.

We would also be in a much better position to bring Australians home and increase international travel.

I have no doubt the decision to not did not take responsibility and leadership an implement an effective  federal quarantine strategy was in large part driven by wanting to shift and risk and blame to the states. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, binman said:

Lockdowns are the only option at this point in time.

But only because as you say the vaccination and quarantine programs have been a total joke.

We wouldn't need to Lockdowns at all if they had got those two things right.

Yep, I’m 43. Have been told for 2 weeks I can get vaccinated. Made an appointment 9 days ago for this morning. Fronted up today at Prahran Town Hall to be told (like 90% of people there because of the age demographics) that they don’t have any Pfizer, and they don’t know when they’ll get it, and we’ll all have to go home - and hope that when we make our next appointment they might have it then, but they probably won’t.

Yet somehow all the politicians seem obsessed with the idea that we need to incentivise people to get vaccinated. How about we just get it right the first time? I can guarantee you that 90% of the thousands turned away today won’t make another appointment now - we all took time off work to do our bit.

Meanwhile friends and family in the US and UK have been fully vaccinated for months. The vaccine program has been stuffed up royally - and it’s only the most important public health program of the last 100 years.

  • Like 6
  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

I just watched today's press conference. They don't know what variant the latest 4 cases have but will continue to ease the restrictions (good). A week ago the Delta strain was so bad they had to extend the 7 day circuit breaker.

These clowns just make it up as they go along.

 

Probably as they have no option but to respond to the facts as they come in

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, binman said:

The first lockdown in Melbourne was related to a pretty big stuff up in the hotels, but you are  right the quarantine hotel programs around the country have been amazing in terms of the statistically very small numbers of cases that have escaped. Particularly given how ill suited the buildings are for the job. 

That said it is concerning there are no national standards yet and it seems insane how long it took governments to take aerosol transmission seriously. 

I should have been clearer. I meant the overall quarantine program strategy, which is the responsibility of the federal government, has been a joke, not the individual programs.

Again it is related to choosing to go down the suppression/elimination road.  Once the feds, with the full support of every state government (and the majority of Australians i suspect) decided elimination was the strategy then using hotel quarantine as the key plank of the quarantine strategy was clearly a bad decsion.

The problem is, is hat as you say it is impossible for the hotels to be 100% full proof. The are not fit for purpose.

Which would be fine if we had not decided on an suppression/elimination strategy.

If we had decided on say a containment strategy (like the UK, the states and pretty much all of Europe) that focused on stopping the numbers overwhelming health systems, there would always be community transmission and cases circulating in the population. So the occasional leak from a hotel would be of little consequence. 

But in a zero covid environment where there are no cases and no community transmission even one case that escapes a hotel can have disastrous consequences.  Pretty much every lockdown that ash occurred in Australia has been related to breaches from hotels.

Think of the economic impact of even a 3 day lockdown, let alone a 2 week or six months one. Lockdowns have cost the Australian economy hundreds of billions of dollars. 

It was evident from the very beginning Howard Springs type facilities they have belatedly agreed to start building were what was required given the decision to go down the suppression/elimination road. Perhaps not as the only option, but certainly the major one.   

And the feds should have taken control of that process. Leaving aside the fact quarantine is their responsibility, they have access to crown land, army engineers and enough resources.

If they had got on their bike in April last year, and ensured purpose built facilities were built in every state they would have been completed by end of 2021. And whilst there would likely to have still been some leakage, each lockdown prevented would pay for their construction 10 times over.

We would also be in a much better position to bring Australians home and increase international travel.

I have no doubt the decision to not did not take responsibility and leadership an implement an effective  federal quarantine strategy was in large part driven by wanting to shift and risk and blame to the states. 

So what you’re saying - I think - is the UK/US “containment” approach which led to a lot of deaths - is preferred?

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Demonland said:

 

It is difficult to believe we will go 3 months without another out break. While overseas repatriation continues past experience has shown us another breakout is only weeks away.  I can see the Dees having to break the drought in Sydney. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

So what you’re saying - I think - is the UK/US “containment” approach which led to a lot of deaths - is preferred?

No, that is not what I even remotely saying. Or suggesting. Or implying. 

I'm very confused how you could have possibly arrived at that conclusion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2021 at 7:05 PM, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think they are really worried about the teachers - it's all the parents mingling/hanging around during drop off/pick up time especially primary schools.

They should put a restriction on active wear at school drop offs. Would be more effective than face masks.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

when we all look back at these border restrictions and wonder how we got to such a situation I wonder what will stand out as the silliest.

Seems to me that that the SA response to visiting footballers is way up there as a single instance. Mind you the masks while driving which I think was WA was also close.

I'm fast giving up on any form of reason or nuance being used in this area.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, old dee said:

It is difficult to believe we will go 3 months without another out break. While overseas repatriation continues past experience has shown us another breakout is only weeks away.  I can see the Dees having to break the drought in Sydney. 

It will as usual be a cynical bidding war between the various States. Not sure Sydney has the stadium size to make it worth their while (IIRC they're upgrading Homebush).

On a closer note I wonder of Geelong will make a money bid to "steal"the Bulldogs home game and take it down to Kardiinia Park.

Docklands at 50% is barely break even.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Covid is now endemic in the global population. Our only hope is to vaccinate, achieve herd immunity open our borders and get on with our lives.

I've been upset with the Vic govt over hotel quarantine and the Feds for the vaccine non roll-out but the reality is, thus far, we've done very well by international standards. It's been a weird year and unprecedented circumstances so i'm going to cut them some slack. Best thing we can all do is encourage people to do the right thing and get vaccinated. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Covid is now endemic in the global population. Our only hope is to vaccinate, achieve herd immunity open our borders and get on with our lives.

I've been upset with the Vic govt over hotel quarantine and the Feds for the vaccine non roll-out but the reality is, thus far, we've done very well by international standards. It's been a weird year and unprecedented circumstances so i'm going to cut them some slack. Best thing we can all do is encourage people to do the right thing and get vaccinated. 

Could not agree more but with a death yesterday after the vaccination that is going to be had work until we can offer more than the astra vaccine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, binman said:

Not wanting to single you out jaded, but is a widely held view that, in my opinion does not hold up to scrutiny. 

The Northern beaches stated with a single transmission and very soon the much vaunted NSW contract tracing team were not able to keep up and lockdown was called for only days after the first case.

By the end of the outbreak 151 cases were linked to the cluster and the lockdown had lasted 3 weeks. This despite it being relatively small population, a population that does not move around greater Sydney much, minimal exposure sites and a contained location with natural boundaries.

And that lockdown happened over the XMAS period so businesses were smashed and families separated. 

As anyone who knows that part of Sydney, the NSW government was extremely lucky the outbreak was in the Northern beaches, not say the west of Sydney (which is geographically very similar to Melbourne). Our equivalent might have been an out break on the Morning Peninsula, which could be isolated in a matter of hours if needed. 

Our current outbreak (which largely came from leak from a SA hotel) is almost exactly the same in number, yet we are out of lockdown in two weeks. And we have huge population, hundreds of exposure sites, a highly transient population in terms of movement around the city and basically no natural boundaries.

Really, by any measure Victoria's contract tracing and related responses (eg exposure sites) has been extraordinary in this current outbreak. 

It is worth noting that we had the Black Rock cluster that was related the Northern beaches outbreak and we only had a brief lockdown. WA had a lockdown as did SA, after very low numbers. The one in WA cost the dockers and eagles millions. 

People made fun of the restrictions SA put on the pies and cats going into their state, were amazed at the hard lock down WA applied, shocked in the hard line Qld have taken this time to travel from Victoria etc et. That is all examples of very risk averse state governments 

The NZ government has had a couple of snap lockdowns after very low numbers

And the bleating from the Liberal party in Victoria is completely hollow, becuase they would have made exactly the same decision to lockdown if in government. 

The problem is that as a country we have decided to implement an elimination strategy. Not a suppression strategy, an elimination strategy. I'm amazed Andrews and co have not pointed this out previously, but finally Sutton did so on Tuesday

As Sutton said, we can't 'grumble along with one or two cases a day' and live the life we have been living (full pubs, everyone back in the office, 50k at the footy, packed trains. Because the numbers would eventually explode. As they have in Taiwan, a country that is also taking an elimination strategy.

In that scenario eventually restrictions have to come into place that as Bing points out has been a feature of much of the world whilst we go about our covid free lives.

There is not one example in the world of a country that has been able to effectively implement a suppression strategy. We have called our strategy suppression but that is bollocks. Arguably there is no such thing as it eventually gets away from health authorities.  The only two real strategies are elimination or stem the tide/minimise the impact. 

Even if they are not pure lockdown like we had last year (which in an case lots of countries have had of course), if there are enough restrictions it doesn't look much different. 

We can't have our cake and eat it too. Enjoy the benefits of no covid in our community and put up with the risk of lockdowns. Or accept living with covid and risk not living covid free (eg masks everywhere, all the time, no live sport etc etc).

We have collectively chosen the former. And so have to accept lockdown are likely to occur.

Of course the big problem is that it is dead obvious that a key plank of the elimination strategy should have been a war time like focus on national vaccination program with a super ambitious goal to say to vaccinate 80% of the population by Easter, or 1 July 2021 or some such. Call a national holiday to celebrate, once achieved.

Which of course would have been hard, but not having covid in the community and all the testing infrastructure in place gave us a huge opportunity other countries haven't.

Yesterday Seattle became the first major city in America to fully vaccinate 70% of residents 12 and up against COVID-19.

Fully vaccinate - so two shots for everyone over the age of 12. Seattle is not much smaller than Melbourne for Pete's sake!

I'll save my anger for the federal government. 

When you say the NSW government were "lucky" because of the geographical location of the outbreak, you are putting blinkers on.

The NSW government take in the majority of overseas travellers in their quarantine for the rest of the country. Victoria take in a minor share and still keep going into lockdown. There is no luck about it.

Dan Andrews is the first premier / prime minister to go missing since Harold Halt. 3 photos so far. You can't possibly tell me the 2nd photo wasn't photo shopped? Look at the neck.

The ambulance statement didn't even match the dates with Dan's tweets. They also said at the bottom of their unsigned statement that they would not provide further statement. That was in bold. Until they realised they got the date wrong and made a further statement.

 

  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wrecker46 said:

Dan Andrews is the first premier / prime minister to go missing since Harold Halt. 3 photos so far. You can't possibly tell me the 2nd photo wasn't photo shopped? Look at the neck.

The ambulance statement didn't even match the dates with Dan's tweets. They also said at the bottom of their unsigned statement that they would not provide further statement. That was in bold. Until they realised they got the date wrong and made a further statement.

 

Pure comedy gold.

Please tell me this is satire.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, old dee said:

Could not agree more but with a death yesterday after the vaccination that is going to be had work until we can offer more than the astra vaccine.

Reality is OD we have no idea of the long term effects of any of these vaccines. People have to weight up the risk for themselves but everyone needs to understand that we can't keep our borders closed indefinitely. When we open our borders covid will return for sure

Do people want to be unvaccinated and risk a bad illness, long covid symptoms and other complications or risk the vaccine. I've made my mind up in favor of the vaccine. Yes there are risks but its better than long covid an overseas family member of mine is struggling through. He caught Covid from his wife about 6 months ago, a health worker. Very fatigued he has been unable to work since He has 3 young kids as well. 40 years of age so not old at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Reality is OD we have no idea of the long term effects of any of these vaccines. People have to weight up the risk for themselves but everyone needs to understand that we can't keep our borders closed indefinitely. When we open our borders covid will return for sure

Do people want to be unvaccinated and risk a bad illness, long covid symptoms and other complications or risk the vaccine. I've made my mind up in favor of the vaccine. Yes there are risks but its better than long covid an overseas family member of mine is struggling through. He caught Covid from his wife about 6 months ago, a health worker. Very fatigued he has been unable to work since He has 3 young kids as well. 40 years of age so not old at all.

I don’t disagree with you, the after mart never seems to get air time in the media. We need to hear more stores like your rels. I have had  my shot and impatiently waiting for the second. You may have seen my comment before, I have friends who are old like me but are waiting for the Pfizer vaccine. I think sadly  there is a sizeable group like that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

It will as usual be a cynical bidding war between the various States. Not sure Sydney has the stadium size to make it worth their while (IIRC they're upgrading Homebush).

On a closer note I wonder of Geelong will make a money bid to "steal"the Bulldogs home game and take it down to Kardiinia Park.

Docklands at 50% is barely break even.

Is not that game at Kardinia park/GMHBA anyway?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HOT PIES FREEZE DEES by George on the Outer

    In the Annual Big Freeze game in support of Neale Daniher's fight against MND, it was Collingwood who froze the ambitions of the Demons, and it now challenges them to thaw out their prospects in the second half of the season. Even though Melbourne opened the scoring account, it was quickly countered by Collingwood, as the Demons appeared flat. And even though they held a minor lead at the first break, it was only through a couple of fortunate efforts, but nothing more.  All around

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne supporters are an unusual lot. Their lived experiences over years of witnessing their team’s humiliation at the hands of the competition’s bullies have left them suspended in a Bizarro World beset by a cognitive distortion know as 'mental filtering'. This is a phenomenon that occurs when people focus exclusively and blindly on long held belief systems. They refuse to accept that conditions have changed so when the evidence is present before their very own eyes, their minds are frozen.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 4

    CHANGES: 2021 MID SEASON by The Oracle 

    Since the end of the 2020 free agency, trade and draft period, AFL clubs have had two further bites of the cherry to top up their lists — the supplemental selection period (SSP) and the 2021 mid-season rookie draft (MSD). The main idea behind both was to enable the fulfillment of immediate needs as a result of injuries or unexpected retirements but this year, we have seen the added dimension of straight out recruitment for the future rather than for now. As a consequence, a number of ready

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    LION TAMERS by George On The Outer

    In an enthralling game between two top four sides, it was the Demons who tamed the Lions, and propelled themselves into the position of premiership favourite even though the season is barely past the halfway mark. This is because Melbourne keeps on beating those teams around them who might provide a challenge. Not only that, it keeps winning with emphatic displays of resilience and toughness that have not been seen in a Demons side for many, many years. Challenged in the first half of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DUELING BANJOS by Whispering Jack

    In the classic Australian poem, A B “Banjo” Paterson sought the answer by letter to a question concerning the whereabouts of a drover named “Clancy”. The response from Clancy’s shearing mate was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar: “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.” Most of us would have felt a little bit that way earlier in the week wondering about the possible whereabouts of the Melbourne team for this week’s encounter against Brisbane. Were th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOGGED DEEFENCE by George on the Outer

    “No-one let the Dogs out” was the Demons response for the (former) top side.  The Melbourne defence, capably lead by Steven May and Jake Lever simply suffocated any hopes that the Western Bulldogs might have had about leading the competition at the mid-way point. Instead, it is the Demons who now sit at the top of the ladder, again a game clear, while their supporters are starting to believe that this side is the real deal.  Pity is that those same supporters couldn’t watch their team demol

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LOOK AWAY DEMON FANS by The Oracle

    Last week I predicted a comfortable Melbourne victory for its game against Adelaide. “Something in the order of 61 points”, I opined. Well, after the game, I checked the wording of my preview very carefully from all angles and I have now concluded that I have to issue an apology to Demon fans. I got it wrong. I’m not bitter and twisted about my error in failing to predict the coaching errors, defensive mistakes, lack of forward pressure and, of course, the complete failure of those officiat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CALM BEFORE THE CALM by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a sluggish first half to run over the Sydney Swans in the second to record an emphatic 40 point victory, maintaining their undefeated record and retaining top spot on the VFL ladder. The game originally listed as part of the Round 4 fixture but delayed due to a Covid19 scare in Sydney and the scrappy way in which the teams approached the contest suggested that the players were still in delay mode. This applied in particular to most of the 12 AFL listed Casey player

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NOTHING TO CROW ABOUT by George On The Outer

    Melbourne’s nine game winning streak  came to an end in Adelaide with a one point loss to the Crows. Losing to a team that had only won three games for the season, having lost five in a row was certainly nothing to crow about.  All around the ground players collectively put in their poorest performance for the year.  The loss of Christian Salem before the match was critical, as his replacement Nev Jetta is a mere shadow the player he once was. The mind is still willing, but the body no

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CRYING OVER SPILT MILK by The Oracle

    It had to happen sooner or later. Melbourne has been riding high through the season to date and, with the exception of a small bunch of nuff nuffs who are never satisfied with anything, the club has attracted more positive vibes from the community in these nine weeks than it did in the past decade. So it came as no surprise to see some low grade stirring of the sort which only the media could come up with at a time like this. The on line site Zero Hanger came up with an article that opined,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CATNIPPED by KC from Casey

    After winning big away from home across the first three rounds of the new look VFL competition, the Casey Demons were forced to dig deep against Geelong VFL at Casey Fields on Saturday. The traditional AFL based teams were evenly matched, fielding ten listed players apiece and this was reflected in the evenness of the game and the final margin which saw the home side leading by a solitary point on the final siren. Casey suffered an early blow when Jake Bowey came off with what ap

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    BLUES IN THE RED by George On The Outer

    While the Demons’ undefeated run continues unabated now at 9-0 their emphatic 26 point victory pushed the Blues to their sixth loss for the season and deeper into the red for the year. While Melbourne opened proceedings with an early goal, the Blues responded with the next two to grab an early lead.  However, as has happened in so many games this year, the Demons fought back to lead by just over a goal come the first break. This narrow lead was part of a streak either side of quarter t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...