• Podcast: Grand Final 2021      

• Podcast: Grand Final      

COVID & AFL 2021

11 minutes ago, Macca said:

That's politics for you ... appoint people who side with their views

I just can't take any of them seriously

We could eventually end up with a change of government in Victoria but what change would we see?  

We need to stop importing the disease.  And in the meantime, get vaccinated and get the quarantine conditions ship-shape

Do all that (and more) and we've got a chance

The only way that's happening is the building of a new ship

• Like 1

Interstate Premiers are already bidding to get the GF in their state. You can bet the house on it happening if we make it.

Best chance since since 1964 and it will not be at the G.

• Sad 2

Just now, Wrecker46 said:

What Noah's Arc?

Must be some sort of mathematical term. ?

2 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

The only way that's happening is the building of a new ship

Yes, a bad pun/Freudian slip? 

Truth is the govenments can commandeer buildings in times of crises.  They did so early on in Victoria with the first or 2nd lockdown

And for goodness sakes, why are we putting healthy people in the same buildings as Covid cases?  Right next door?

You couldn't make that stuff up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, old dee said:

Interstate Premiers are already bidding to get the GF in their state. You can bet the house on it happening if we make it.

Best chance since since 1964 and it will not be at the G.

Does it get better OD ...

Today's case includes a teacher from the school where a child from the Jervis Bay travellers went to.

Linked but a potentially wide vector from a spread viewpoint.

1 minute ago, Wrecker46 said:

What Noah's Arc?

Yep as long as no one with covid gets on, copious amounts of beer (bare minimum Stone & Wood), top shelf whiskies, enough room for the G and 18 AFL teams.  Pie/Essendrug and Hawk flogs get their own boat!  Throw in a few spare WAGS plus a red room and Beelzebub's your uncle!

Set Sail....destination Sth Pacific Islands then on to the Bahamas.  Ahoy there mateys!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Does it get better OD ...

Today's case includes a teacher from the school where a child from the Jervis Bay travellers went to.

Linked but a potentially wide vector from a spread viewpoint.

I have given up expecting any good news anytime soon. I just behave, stay home expect for absolute must haves and wear my mask. Oh had my shot a month ago. What more can you do. 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Grr-owl said:

A bloke near my folk's refuses to wear a mask. 

There are two up at our local Mt Waverley SC also.  They blatantly sit in the middle of the square on an under cover seat and thumb their nose at the world and enter the shops without one as if nothing's changed.  This went on all through 2020 also.

I spoke to a police sarj about this and he said they don't have the resources or the wherewithal to bother with it.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Grr-owl said:

A bloke near my folk's refuses to wear a mask. 

I don't bother if I'm not near anyone outdoors. If I see someone coming I put one on. 

I'm in regional Vic with no cases here during any of the 4 lockdowns.

When I go to a cafe or restaurant I can sit indoors without a mask. If I get caught outdoors with no mask I can get arrested. It makes no sense. All the transmissions overwhelmingly occur indoors.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

I don't bother if I'm not near anyone outdoors. If I see someone coming I put one on. 

I'm in regional Vic with no cases here during any of the 4 lockdowns.

When I go to a cafe or restaurant I can sit indoors without a mask. If I get caught outdoors with no mask I can get arrested. It makes no sense. All the transmissions overwhelmingly occur indoors.

Hang one on your face under the chin. Slip it up when you need it. Easy peasy.

Where I am, we get out of the car with mask on and walk into my local place of leisure. Once in, where everyone congregates, we take them off or slip em under the chin. Bizarre. But these days I'm not complaining about anything. I've had an overwhelmingly positive experience during COVID. And another year to go.....

Average length of major pandemics is 2.5 years.

15 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

There are two up at our local Mt Waverley SC also.  They blatantly sit in the middle of the square on an under cover seat and thumb their nose at the world and enter the shops without one as if nothing's changed.  This went on all through 2020 also.

I spoke to a police sarj about this and he said they don't have the resources or the wherewithal to bother with it.

I guess it comes with a feeling of defiance that some mistake for something meaningful.  

Edited by Grr-owl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

I have given up expecting any good news anytime soon. I just behave, stay home expect for absolute must haves and wear my mask. Oh had my shot a month ago. What more can you do. 

I sit here planning alternative routes between Pakistan and Egypt.

All of them seem to go via the various city States of the Middle East.

This trip will be the most researched I've ever done if I ever do it.

Like you vaccinated four weeks ago. 

My free travel tip is Moscow...inexpensive and drop dead tourist stuff with great easy to use public transport. People are great (Dubai- Moscow for a week- Western Europe.. London/Paris etc)

2 minutes ago, Demonland said:

This is becoming a farce

yep... we are now being run by Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs aka the Premiers and Chief Minister of the NT

(yes I know I didn't count the ACT but who does)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Demonland said:

That's a big call considering that the GF is just under 4 months away. 

What if we come out of lockdown in a week or 2 and not have a reoccurrence?  I wouldn't rule anything out despite being gloomy about the general governance.  Outbreaks are a ticking time bomb ... anywhere

Mistakes have been made but with the poor quarantine adherence,  QLD could be next, not Victoria

Is Cochrane still dirty that the GF has gone back to its traditional time-slot? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Mr Cochrane. Your team is currently 14th on the AFL ladder. My advice, sort out your own “Hopeless situation”  before throwing stones.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

My free travel tip is Moscow...inexpensive and drop dead tourist stuff with great easy to use public transport. People are great (Dubai- Moscow for a week- Western Europe.. London/Paris etc)

The thing that annoys me the most about the covid era of the last 18 months is I cannot plan anything.

Overseas holidays are out and even trying to plan an interstate trip is difficult as you know with your Alice springs plan. WE had a small family get together planned for last weekend Ha ha. My wife said to me yesterday as soon as we are allowed out lets do a road trip. I said where to? reply anywhere I am so tired of being stuck in a 5 - 10 km radius of home. We are fortunate we are retired and don't have the work problems that most have. I have always been a planner and not being able to plan is leaving me unhappy as well as all the other crap called staying alive.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Dubai is open, but there are thousands of cases per day..... Don't touch anything on the way thru.

9 minutes ago, old dee said:

The thing that annoys me the most about the covid era of the last 18 months is I cannot plan anything.

Overseas holidays are out and even trying to plan an interstate trip is difficult as you know with your Alice springs plan. WE had a small family get together planned for last weekend Ha ha. My wife said to me yesterday as soon as we are allowed out lets do a road trip. I said where to? reply anywhere I am so tired of being stuck in a 5 - 10 km radius of home. We are fortunate we are retired and don't have the work problems that most have. I have always been a planner and not being able to plan is leaving me unhappy as well as all the other crap called staying alive.

First world problems. I can't even plan a trip to the local pub.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

First world problems. I can't even plan a trip to the local pub.

Yes I feel embarrassed even discussing it when millions have lost their lives etc.

• Like 1

Minister for Sports today said he has no doubt the grand final will be at the G, and part of the reason we are going hard now is because we know we have major sporting events coming up and we don’t want to lose them. He said just two weeks ago we had 80% footy attendance, and he is not wrong. 

End of September is a long long way away. Months in fact. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Minister for Sports today said he has no doubt the grand final will be at the G, and part of the reason we are going hard now is because we know we have major sporting events coming up and we don’t want to lose them. He said just two weeks ago we had 80% footy attendance, and he is not wrong. 

End of September is a long long way away. Months in fact. 

The only thing I am certain about at present is that  everything is uncertain no matter when.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure the curves been flattened out now. I was all for the lockdowns last year while they got their [censored] sorted but this can't just keep going unabated, especially for a virus that has around a 2-3% mortality rate.

Shutdown any international travel until they get the quarantine facilities built and the vaccine is rolled out on a large scale and let the rest of us get on with our lives.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 2