Jump to content

POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs Adelaide



Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

The day after and I am still fuming,.  What a gutless display that was.  Vintage Melbourne.

The loss we had to have??   yeah bull [censored].  Maybe if it was to the Lions or Dogs.  Not a week early against [censored] Adelaide.

A very good chance of a 3 game losing streak now and losing all confidence.

Gutless??? Very harsh... defensively off and dropped many marks that they  normally take, maintaining winning 10 games for any side is very hard in a hard Comp and crows thumped the cats...  should have won & im sorry umpires played a role.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I know I said we will never lose again this week, but I was wrong 😂

9-0 is a very good effort. Nobody else achieved that this year. The competition is very close. Even lower teams can win on their day. Freo beat Sydney last night as an example. 
 

The issue with the loss last night was the defensive effort just wasn’t there. We let Adelaide score freely, when they’ve been a low scoring team most of the year. And under a lot of pressure from them we fell apart and reverted to poor ball use and ineffective forward 50 entries. It was classic Melbourne and it was not nice to watch because we all have MFCSS and any sign of failure just triggers a very strong “it’s all over here we go again” type of reaction. 
 

I think this loss will burn in the players. It will motivate them to come hard next week. It will also start to put selection pressure on a few blokes who have cruised through the season like Fritsch. That is not a bad thing. 
And another week where we get closer to figuring out our best forward set up. We know now it’s not Tmac, Weideman, Fritsch and Jackson.

Flags are not won in May. Richmond lost to some pretty average teams when they won their premiership. This is not the end of the world. If we lose the next 2 games and go 9-3 then I’ll start to panic. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I know I said we will never lose again this week, but I was wrong 😂

9-0 is a very good effort. Nobody else achieved that this year. The competition is very close. Even lower teams can win on their day. Freo beat Sydney last night as an example. 
 

The issue with the loss last night was the defensive effort just wasn’t there. We let Adelaide score freely, when they’ve been a low scoring team most of the year. And under a lot of pressure from them we fell apart and reverted to poor ball use and ineffective forward 50 entries. It was classic Melbourne and it was not nice to watch because we all have MFCSS and any sign of failure just triggers a very strong “it’s all over here we go again” type of reaction. 
 

I think this loss will burn in the players. It will motivate them to come hard next week. It will also start to put selection pressure on a few blokes who have cruised through the season like Fritsch. That is not a bad thing. 
And another week where we get closer to figuring out our best forward set up. We know now it’s not Tmac, Weideman, Fritsch and Jackson.

Flags are not won in May. Richmond lost to some pretty average teams when they won their premiership. This is not the end of the world. If we lose the next 2 games and go 9-3 then I’ll start to panic. 

In 2017 Richmond got beaten by 2 points against a lowly Fremantle at the MCG. A few weeks later got thumped by a bottom 4 team in St Kilda by over 70 points.

They went on to win the flag.

  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

For me the umpiring incidents last night aren’t about whether they cost us the game. It’s the fact that they were so hot on every 50-50 call right up until the last 5 mins when they decided to swallow the whistle. it is a crappy spectacle for the fan and this not good umpiring for me, I don’t care how many people say ‘we love this no free kicks in the dying stages, great umpiring’ I’m sorry but those people are full of crud. We love a free flowing game but we’ve got rules in place and when a free kick is there it should be paid. If you do not like this then do something to the rules to take out all the interpretation ie abolish deliberate, pay every single tackle HtB. Not the way I’d want to do it but it needs to be black and white or shut the f up. If the shoe was on the other foot I’d be saying the same thing. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

In 2017 Richmond got beaten by 2 points against a lowly Fremantle at the MCG. A few weeks later got thumped by a bottom 4 team in St Kilda by over 70 points.

They went on to win the flag.

Yep.

Last year Richmond lost twice to non-finalists: Hawthorn (bottom 4) and GWS.

In 2019 they dropped three in a row mid-season including to two non-finalists in North Melbourne and Adelaide.

In 2018 West Coast lost three games to non-finalists (Essendon, Adelaide, North Melbourne).

In 2016 the Dogs lost twice to non-finalists (St Kilda and Fremantle, although from memory that final round match vs Fremantle was a dead rubber).

Even the mighty 2015 Hawks lost three games to non-finalists.

It happens. Good sides lose to bad sides. We all looked at that game last night and saw we were playing poor football. But we still had a three goal lead with 7 minutes to go and at that point had conceded 18 scoring shots, which is the most anyone's scored against us (again our opponent was accurate and more than us - game could have been over at that point at 12.6 to 14.10 if say TMac had kicked his easy set shot in the 2nd quarter and they'd missed even one of their tough kicks). We didn't handle the final 7 minutes well but then three bad umpiring non-calls all went against us, and we still nearly won it and lost by a single point.

None of this is to say we're going to canter it in for the rest of the season, but similarly we don't all need to panic because we lost to a likely non-finalist.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I know I said we will never lose again this week, but I was wrong 😂

9-0 is a very good effort. Nobody else achieved that this year. The competition is very close. Even lower teams can win on their day. Freo beat Sydney last night as an example. 
 

The issue with the loss last night was the defensive effort just wasn’t there. We let Adelaide score freely, when they’ve been a low scoring team most of the year. And under a lot of pressure from them we fell apart and reverted to poor ball use and ineffective forward 50 entries. It was classic Melbourne and it was not nice to watch because we all have MFCSS and any sign of failure just triggers a very strong “it’s all over here we go again” type of reaction. 
 

I think this loss will burn in the players. It will motivate them to come hard next week. It will also start to put selection pressure on a few blokes who have cruised through the season like Fritsch. That is not a bad thing. 
And another week where we get closer to figuring out our best forward set up. We know now it’s not Tmac, Weideman, Fritsch and Jackson.

Flags are not won in May. Richmond lost to some pretty average teams when they won their premiership. This is not the end of the world. If we lose the next 2 games and go 9-3 then I’ll start to panic. 

They clearly had a plan to transition the ball quickly by foot from defense and go through the corridor at every chance to break up our zone/press. Worked magnificently and hopefully we can take a lot out of it. I felt from early in the game we needed a cool head to try and take the pace out of the game, usually that's Salem but we had no one step up and show that leadership that was required.

Very interested to see how we rebound from this over the next fortnight, couldn't ask for two bigger tests.

I think I still would rather lose like we did last night than lose like the Dogs did against Richmond

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whilst we all know the two non decisions late game were rubbish

Kicking 6.7 to 7.2 after half time didn't help, we had enough chances to get further ahead.

I have faith the club is gonna come out and give it to the bulldogs next week with Viney and Salem back in the side

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, FritschyBusiness said:

 

Kicking 6.7 to 7.2 after half time didn't help, we had enough chances to get further ahead.
 

Been happening all season.   Last quarter against Carlton last week we kicked 1.7.

Nothing has  been done about it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Been happening all season.   Last quarter against Carlton last week we kicked 1.7.

Nothing has  been done about it.

 

Very correct P2K we have had poor conversion all year. 
11.14 Vs Freo, 12.19 Vs St Kilda.

It finally cost us a game

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, wizardinoz said:

Fact is that was right on front of the umpire and he squibbed the decision. Bet if it had of happened down the other end the result would have been different

 

Snot goblins continue to affect  outcomes but last night; it was all game, all over the ground.

So much 'unseen'; so many one-sided rules violations and missed 'interpretations'; missed appropriateness of behind-play physical contacts and missed even-playing field. 

On summarising the umpires interference in the game, it can only be summed up as: blatant 'crowd-pleasing'  for the home team to ensure their own (umpires') approval ratings. Just the same as that which has been dished out at Kardinia Park games for so many years.

Again, we plead for an even playing field! Again, we bear the ramifications of umpires' intents. That must be coming down from AFL HQ - so we can be assured of where we (Demons' supporters) stand. Rock bottom.

We need to review the team selection of: Weideman, Melksham, Jetta, Petty.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, FritschyBusiness said:

Whilst we all know the two non decisions late game were rubbish

Kicking 6.7 to 7.2 after half time didn't help, we had enough chances to get further ahead.

I have faith the club is gonna come out and give it to the bulldogs next week with Viney and Salem back in the side

We realy must address the performances of our 'sharp-shooters' and the relativity of scoring before goal.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Without delving into the stats, I don't think it's any coincidence that we've had a relatively flat month since Richmond and over that same period Viney's been out.

And started tinkering with our forward set up when Brown and Weid became available. I am starting to believe a forward set up with TMac, Jackson and Fritsch with more smalls and runners will end up the preferred. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, faultydet said:

Adelaide coaching department did their homework, and credit to them for it.

Manning up on Lever stopped his intercept game, and with May getting an absolute bath from Tex, we simply couldn't stop them scoring.

Hunt a headless chook contributed to the defensive mess, and omg what has happened to the spatial and situational awareness of half our team? (Hunt and Gawn the worst offenders)

Again, credit to Adelaide for doing their homework and executing their plans beautifully. It's a real shame that our weaknesses were exposed the week before we play the most ruthless team in the comp. 

Get Viney and Salem back in ASAP because the Dogs will annihilate us at the contest otherwise.

Oh, and Weid? Nah, he will not make it. Simply cannot impact when the game is there to be won. Useless.

Not overly sure about some of these points.

I don't call keeping people out of contests manning up. Nor do i call manning up elbowing deliberately in the back of someone.

The whole dimension of our team is to be pleasant and flowing when tactical plays come off. The lack of spatial awareness may be demonstrated when plays are stopped in their tracks by frivolous, stupid, incompressible decisions that are issued very early in these type of games , and mind that these will happen again. By that i mean that if we get penalised early in games set plays can go out the window as not to be followed and I'm being kind about the word decision

One consequence was that our Oliver on ball brigade had to go and get their own ball

Umpiring standards early in games sets the tone for the whole ebb and fluency of the way we play,

throw in a few rubbish decisions and things don't work so well

I know this has to be overcome and i look forward to next week, but i i don't think a loss in a rabid atmosphere like yesterday by one point is a major issue. Weed is a little bit of a worry at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whats with the loss we had to have crap? There will be plenty of opportunites to lose one in the next few weeks. Losing is not hard, if you stand still you’ll go backwards.

Stop conceding and going back to loser mentality

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

If we lose the next 2 games and go 9-3 then I’ll start to panic

The funny thing is, how many of us would have complained at the beginning of the season if we’d been told we’d be 9-3 by round 12? I suspect most would have scoffed at such a suggestion.
 

I hope there aren’t too many changes to the side, but I get the feeling that we might see Ben Brown back in against the Dogs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, layzie said:

For me the umpiring incidents last night aren’t about whether they cost us the game. It’s the fact that they were so hot on every 50-50 call right up until the last 5 mins when they decided to swallow the whistle. it is a crappy spectacle for the fan and this not good umpiring for me, I don’t care how many people say ‘we love this no free kicks in the dying stages, great umpiring’ I’m sorry but those people are full of crud. We love a free flowing game but we’ve got rules in place and when a free kick is there it should be paid. If you do not like this then do something to the rules to take out all the interpretation ie abolish deliberate, pay every single tackle HtB. Not the way I’d want to do it but it needs to be black and white or shut the f up. If the shoe was on the other foot I’d be saying the same thing. 

The umpiring was pretty bad but not why we lost.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Kick randomly out of congestion, and without thought, opposition marks it: check

Handball to teammate under pressure: check.

Fumble the ball on the ground: check

Miss simple marks: check

Unpressured turnovers: check

Don't do/give first option and get tackled: check.

I just hope that is as bad as we get.

Expecting perfection in our highest pressured game all year CHECK

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Stein9193 said:

The umpiring was pretty bad but not why we lost.

Never said that. I’m talking about aesthetics of the game and being a spectacle to watch. I’m not sure how to explain to a newcomer a) a rule like holding the ball in the first place and b) why they are paid so often for 3 1/2 quarters and then suddenly not. Or why one textbook holding the ball on Gawn is paid then seconds later is not on Keays? Nothing to do with my Melbourne bias or anything, it’s purely my opinion on how the game looks and if anyone wants to stick their beaver-like chompers in for having an opinion on it then have at it. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Again, we plead for an even playing field! Again, we bear the ramifications of umpires' intents. That must be coming down from AFL HQ - so we can be assured of where we (Demons' supporters) stand. Rock bottom.

Can we please stop with these [censored] conspiracy theories... the free kick count was 24/24 and as well as the two major clangers in the last couple of minutes, there were frees paid to us that probably shouldn’t have been.  We had 7 more inside 50’s (and 6 more shots) than Adelaide and a better conversion rate, but blew it with poor accuracy.

When all is said and done, the Dees have only themselves to blame.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Yep.

Last year Richmond lost twice to non-finalists: Hawthorn (bottom 4) and GWS.

In 2019 they dropped three in a row mid-season including to two non-finalists in North Melbourne and Adelaide.

In 2018 West Coast lost three games to non-finalists (Essendon, Adelaide, North Melbourne).

In 2016 the Dogs lost twice to non-finalists (St Kilda and Fremantle, although from memory that final round match vs Fremantle was a dead rubber).

Even the mighty 2015 Hawks lost three games to non-finalists.

It happens. Good sides lose to bad sides. We all looked at that game last night and saw we were playing poor football. But we still had a three goal lead with 7 minutes to go and at that point had conceded 18 scoring shots, which is the most anyone's scored against us (again our opponent was accurate and more than us - game could have been over at that point at 12.6 to 14.10 if say TMac had kicked his easy set shot in the 2nd quarter and they'd missed even one of their tough kicks). We didn't handle the final 7 minutes well but then three bad umpiring non-calls all went against us, and we still nearly won it and lost by a single point.

None of this is to say we're going to canter it in for the rest of the season, but similarly we don't all need to panic because we lost to a likely non-finalist.

Great  point mate and well put.

It goes back to what I said last night, there are simply no easy beats this year and every win is significant. 

I have no issues losing to Adelaide as watching them last week I thought they were very competitive against the Eagles. They brought a game plan that was proactive in applying immense pressure.

While losing yesterday is disappointing,  I can easily see us knocking off the doggies or Lion the week after if we bring the same intensity as we did against the Tigers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just to lighten the mood...

My eldest son lives in Poland, has zero interest in footy, but despite the 8/10 hour time difference, he stays abreast of Dees matches coz he knows how passionate I am. Last night this was our text exchange...

😁

 

BCC5BF81-E447-40A7-BC90-4BC4A1411649.jpeg

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Just to lighten the mood...

My eldest son lives in Poland, has zero interest in footy, but despite the 8/10 hour time difference, he stays abreast of Dees matches coz he knows how passionate I am. Last night this was our text exchange...

😁

 

BCC5BF81-E447-40A7-BC90-4BC4A1411649.jpeg

Enjoyed! Gotta laugh.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    DELTA DEMONS by KC from Casey

    There was an ill wind blowing for the home side at Casey Fields on  Saturday but you wouldn’t have noticed if you turned up seven or eight minutes into the second quarter with the scoreboard showing the Casey Demons holding a lead of 7.5.47 to Footscray’s solitary point. Up to that stage, the depleted Dees combination had taken full advantage of the windy conditions and headed by veterans Nathan Jones, Jimmy Munro and Mitch White had came out of the blocks and plundered the Bulldogs’ defence.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ON THE FLY by George On The Outer

    After spending most of the previous day in the air, flying between Queensland and Victoria, it was hard to imagine the Demons would be at their best.   But this team was on the fly on the field as well and produced a clinical display which saw them record a 98 point win to put aside any questions about the side being out of form.   Certainly, the Suns who have fallen away badly in the second half of the season were their opponents, but with the Demons looking for a confidence boo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS by The Oracle

    This weekend, the Melbourne Football Club was supposed to embark on a tour that started with what looked like an innocent trip to the country’s sunny Gold Coast. However, the Covid19 pandemic intervened to bring them back home for this week at least. Next week, it’s off to the West Coast but conspiracy theorists are already suggesting that this interstate sojourn could take the team all the way across the country over the next month and indeed, there are cynics who even believe that it could bec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

    The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...