Jump to content

POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs Adelaide



Recommended Posts

Just home from the pub. For a while it looked like the decision to swap IPA for gin late in the third quarter was going to work but alas it was too little too late. Outwith two umpiring howlers at the death I think we can all agree that the outcome was in our hands throughout and it's one we'll regret letting slip irrespective of how the season pans out. I feel sorry for the fans that travelled that now have to have a sh!tty night over in Shelbyville. 

I think I'll need a few early laps of the local pool then some Vietnamese coffee before I can start to put this one behind me. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

When we were 16 points up I couldn’t understand why we didn’t maintain possession more just slow the game down and control the ball because at that stage of the game they had the run of the ball, Salem would have provided that control and coolness that we lacked tonight. Nev wasn’t the answer as it altered and slowed down our backline structure to much. Hell to go down like that by one point was just so disappointing.

I gotta have a vent about Sparrow.

With 8 minutes to go, we're sixteen points up and Melksham is off with a sore foot and his boot off.

Why wouldn't you put a fresh player like Sparrow on? Goodwin was right there on the bench.

At a bigger picture, everyone is lamenting Viney not being back. Sparrow has been the obvious replacement for him and I don't know why we're not putting games into him. He's been performing really well at VFL level and this week he just sat in his tracky dacks.

We had the opportunity to play him for a couple of weeks and with Viney being a load managed 50/50 proposition, I don't know why we haven't played him. It's best to put games into him now in case Vineys foot explodes again on the eve of the finals.

It would have been a good ten minutes to have him on the field tonight.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


We played as poorly as we’ve played all year against a team that played to their absolute potential and are backed by a very one eyed local supporter base that directly impacts decisions.

We got beaten by a point. My frustration is that the experience of the team didn’t rise to the occasion with 5 minutes to go. Individual brilliance had got us back in it (Oliver) and he didn’t get support from his teammates with decision making and effort. Goodwin needs to remind our experienced players of this, and demand more. 

The media will come for us now. Honestly they’ve been waiting for weeks to stick the boots in. The narrative around our football club is perennial losers, and consistently untrustworthy. The only way to change it is to change it. We need to back up next week and play our hearts out. We need to put ourselves in a good position to play quality finals.

I’m tired of supporting a club that gets kicked around. I’m excited to see our boys respond. I’ll back them in. I wouldn’t want to be the bulldogs next week.

  • Like 7
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

From a strategic POV, we could have gone for the rushed point at the end. There were 3 ball ups. A draw would have kept us on top and we are likely never to match the Bulldogs on percentage anyway. A draw on when one game ahead on top is like a win.

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

Which one exactly we fumbled so uncharacteristicly all day

When we got a mini break at the start of the 4th and we won it off half back got it to Clarry then Trac and he just flat out dropped the ball which went back the other way. It literally felt like a 2 goal turnaround and there was steam and blood coming from my ears. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was more than just a couple of free kicks not paid in this game. There is a pattern of hatred of our team by Yellow maggots.

They go slow to blow the whistle. They go slow to pay in possession. They cannot even be fair about out of bounce rules. The rules that are out of control the most is around the neck , pushing and shepherding players off the ball. The whole spectrum is spoilt by incompetence, or not enough visually aware umpires.

We had to lose to any team sooner or later, but to lose to a bunch of cheating Maggots is another thing. They should not just be penalised by going to umpire up the bush, they should be fined for bad sportsmanship and have to pay hefty fines. They talk about players wagering....

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[censored] me having to witness that live was excruciating. Absolutely blew my lid at that non call at the end. Adelaide is a [censored] not coming back any time soon. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adelaide coaching department did their homework, and credit to them for it.

Manning up on Lever stopped his intercept game, and with May getting an absolute bath from Tex, we simply couldn't stop them scoring.

Hunt a headless chook contributed to the defensive mess, and omg what has happened to the spatial and situational awareness of half our team? (Hunt and Gawn the worst offenders)

Again, credit to Adelaide for doing their homework and executing their plans beautifully. It's a real shame that our weaknesses were exposed the week before we play the most ruthless team in the comp. 

Get Viney and Salem back in ASAP because the Dogs will annihilate us at the contest otherwise.

Oh, and Weid? Nah, he will not make it. Simply cannot impact when the game is there to be won. Useless.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, willmoy said:

There was more than just a couple of free kicks not paid in this game.

Thought some HTB decisions without prior, hurt us.

I think there was one against Tracc who had players scragging him even before he had it, result HTB against. May not have been the only type like this.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

I still reckon Weid would make a good CHB, he has good hands, size and mobility. Can he read the play? Don’t know. Is he a bit like Darcy Moore he may be better value back than forward. But of course we don’t have a need back unless we decide to throw Petty forward and Weid back? 

I don’t think it’s the worst idea but pulling that move half way through a season is not wise. Didn’t Moore play in the backline as junior though? 
 

I think Weids biggest flaw is reading the game and ball flight tbh as he is often always in the wrong position or flies under the ball. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going to bed. Was excited about the Possibility of F=next Friday night, unsure if ill fork out the cash now

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The one thing for sure is that everyone is looking at it differently. Which is a good thing. A lot of people are saying to chill out because we’re 9-1 which it true. The pessimist in me was going we’d save the loss for the Dogs. 

It’s all done now and there’s nothing we can do about it. I’m not going to be too fussed about it but I am definitely going to be fussed about how we respond from it. Do we turn it up against the Dogs and go 9-2 and still relax because of our win-loss record? At what point do we stop relaxing? All jokes aside there’s one thing I’m sure of, if we put one over the Dogs this loss will mean Jack twod. 

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, danielE288 said:

I'm going to bed. Was excited about the Possibility of F=next Friday night, unsure if ill fork out the cash now

Yeah we looked like pretenders tonight, didn't we?

Dogs will absolutely maul us next week.

  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me just say a big congratulations to Adelaide, who were really well coached tonight. I thought they put in massive amount of pressure and it resulted in simple little turnovers that proved costly.

2nd point, stop blaming the umpires. They did not cost us the game at all. The fact we were in a position late in the game that we needed to rely on a deliberate rule is imo is very concerning. We 16 points up with 3 minutes to go. We lost because we put ourselves in that position to lose.

I'm putting the absolute heat on our senior players tonight. Some of the efforts and performance from so called senior heads and leadership was simply unacceptable. 

Steven May - possibly the worst games he's played for us. Played lazy football and gave no respect to a rookie in Thilthorp. Just wanted to play zone football all night. One thing also, stop spraying other blokes when you get beaten in a one on one contest. It is simply on you. 

Fritsch - My god is there a more softer footballer going around? Lazy and insipid. 0 defensive efforts. If we are fair dinkum as a club then he surely is under the microscope this week.

Melksham - Simply bizarre he was playing in the first place. How the [censored] did he get selected on the back of being a medical sub? What does that say to the likes of Tom Sparrow who's busted his [censored] at AFL level with 2 games in a row of being BOG with an average of 30 disposals? What exactly does that send to not only Sparrow but the rest of the blokes doing the hard yards? Not only does Melksham do SFA, he's another who insipid with 0 defensive pressure. 

Harmes - One trick pony who dead set thinks his dusty. Honestly don't know what to make of him

Jetta - Yeah look, commented pre game that I was concerned with this inclusion. Might as well just have played a witches hat. Adds legit nothing to our side anymore. Great servant but hopefully that's the last time we see him in red and blue. Stay at Casey and help develope our kids. 

Weideman - So disappointed.  Running out of patience.  If there was a time to really stake a claim and grab a game by the scruff of the neck then today would have been it. 

Gawn - Had good moments then had poor moments where I just face palmed. Maybe can the whole podcast for a few weeks and #positvelingers stuff and just focus on getting your form back, because he has simply been poor of late.

I'm starting to notice signs of tiredness with Pickett, Rivers and Jordon. How we manage that Is up to the club.

The positves for me were Petracca and Oliver. I thought while Lever was under immense pressure he was our best defender.

Ed Langdon is proving what an absolute brilliant pick up he's been. Lesson for young kids who want to see what work rate is all about, grab yourself a few Langdon highlights and watch him work his [censored] off. I also thought Brayshaw on the other wing was good as well.

The 3 keys players we missed today were Salem, Ben Brown and Jack Viney. I said this a few weeks ago, but the impact Brown has is huge for our forwards. He draws 2 defenders and.its no coincidence that when Brown was playing McDonald and Fritsch had career best games. 

Viney is the general around our stoppages and directs our set ups and stoppage clearences.Him being out has left a significant hole and it's been telling the last few weeks.

Enough said by Salem. He is our barometer and just sets us up so well from half back. Please be back next week.

Funny enough I wasn't angry about this loss because I think Adelaide played really well and I thought we'd win this comfortable. But what this shows is that there is no easy teams this year. Every win is so significant and I feel like this is exactly the lost we needed.

 

 

  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Let me just say a big congratulations to Adelaide, who were really well coached tonight. I thought they put in massive amount of pressure and it resulted in simple little turnovers that proved costly.

2nd point, stop blaming the umpires. They did not cost us the game at all. The fact we were in a position late in the game that we needed to rely on a deliberate rule is imo is very concerning. We 16 points up with 3 minutes to go. We lost because we put ourselves in that position to lose.

I'm putting the absolute heat on our senior players tonight. Some of the efforts and performance from so called senior heads and leadership was simply unacceptable. 

Steven May - possibly the worst games he's played for us. Played lazy football and gave no respect to a rookie in Thilthorp. Just wanted to play zone football all night. One thing also, stop spraying other blokes when you get beaten in a one on one contest. It is simply on you. 

Fritsch - My god is there a more softer footballer going around? Lazy and insipid. 0 defensive efforts. If we are fair dinkum as a club then he surely is under the microscope this week.

Melksham - Simply bizarre he was playing in the first place. How the [censored] did he get selected on the back of being a medical sub? What does that say to the likes of Tom Sparrow who's busted his [censored] at AFL level with 2 games in a row of being BOG with an average of 30 disposals? What exactly does that send to not only Sparrow but the rest of the blokes doing the hard yards? Not only does Melksham do SFA, he's another who insipid with 0 defensive pressure. 

Harmes - One trick pony who dead set thinks his dusty. Honestly don't know what to make of him

Jetta - Yeah look, commented pre game that I was concerned with this inclusion. Might as well just have played a witches hat. Adds legit nothing to our side anymore. Great servant but hopefully that's the last time we see him in red and blue. Stay at Casey and help develope our kids. 

Weideman - So disappointed.  Running out of patience.  If there was a time to really stake a claim and grab a game by the scruff of the neck then today would have been it. 

Gawn - Had good moments then had poor moments where I just face palmed. Maybe can the whole podcast for a few weeks and #positvelingers stuff and just focus on getting your form back, because he has simply been poor of late.

I'm starting to notice signs of tiredness with Pickett, Rivers and Jordon. How we manage that Is up to the club.

The positves for me were Petracca and Oliver. I thought while Lever was under immense pressure he was our best defender.

Ed Langdon is proving what an absolute brilliant pick up he's been. Lesson for young kids who want to see what work rate is all about, grab yourself a few Langdon highlights and watch him work his [censored] off. I also thought Brayshaw on the other wing was good as well.

The 3 keys players we missed today were Salem, Ben Brown and Jack Viney. I said this a few weeks ago, but the impact Brown has is huge for our forwards. He draws 2 defenders and.its no coincidence that when Brown was playing McDonald and Fritsch had career best games. 

Viney is the general around our stoppages and directs our set ups and stoppage clearences.Him being out has left a significant hole and it's been telling the last few weeks.

Enough said by Salem. He is our barometer and just sets us up so well from half back. Please be back next week.

Funny enough I wasn't angry about this loss because I think Adelaide played really well and I thought we'd win this comfortable. But what this shows is that there is no easy teams this year. Every win is so significant and I feel like this is exactly the lost we needed.

 

 

Fantastic prècis and spot on on all points

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Yeah we lost vs bottom 4 side

We willbe crunched next week I 8

Yes, because as we always say here at Demonland, football is a linear equation.

This is elite sport. Top 4 teams are beaten by bottom four teams every season. Some of those same top four teams win premierships.

That said, the Dogs have looked a more potent side than us all year and regardless of tonight's result, they go in strong favourites and I expect them to be too hard to stop through the midfield.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Great game 

[censored] up in the end by disgraceful umpiring!

Sound like the Tigers Coach!!! I think we lost it not the Umps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:
11 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Let me just say a big congratulations to Adelaide, who were really well coached tonight. I thought they put in massive amount of pressure and it resulted in simple little turnovers that proved costly.

2nd point, stop blaming the umpires. They did not cost us the game at all. The fact we were in a position late in the game that we needed to rely on a deliberate rule is imo is very concerning. We 16 points up with 3 minutes to go. We lost because we put ourselves in that position to lose.

I'm putting the absolute heat on our senior players tonight. Some of the efforts and performance from so called senior heads and leadership was simply unacceptable. 

Steven May - possibly the worst games he's played for us. Played lazy football and gave no respect to a rookie in Thilthorp. Just wanted to play zone football all night. One thing also, stop spraying other blokes when you get beaten in a one on one contest. It is simply on you. 

Fritsch - My god is there a more softer footballer going around? Lazy and insipid. 0 defensive efforts. If we are fair dinkum as a club then he surely is under the microscope this week.

Melksham - Simply bizarre he was playing in the first place. How the [censored] did he get selected on the back of being a medical sub? What does that say to the likes of Tom Sparrow who's busted his [censored] at AFL level with 2 games in a row of being BOG with an average of 30 disposals? What exactly does that send to not only Sparrow but the rest of the blokes doing the hard yards? Not only does Melksham do SFA, he's another who insipid with 0 defensive pressure. 

Harmes - One trick pony who dead set thinks his dusty. Honestly don't know what to make of him

Jetta - Yeah look, commented pre game that I was concerned with this inclusion. Might as well just have played a witches hat. Adds legit nothing to our side anymore. Great servant but hopefully that's the last time we see him in red and blue. Stay at Casey and help develope our kids. 

Weideman - So disappointed.  Running out of patience.  If there was a time to really stake a claim and grab a game by the scruff of the neck then today would have been it. 

Gawn - Had good moments then had poor moments where I just face palmed. Maybe can the whole podcast for a few weeks and #positvelingers stuff and just focus on getting your form back, because he has simply been poor of late.

I'm starting to notice signs of tiredness with Pickett, Rivers and Jordon. How we manage that Is up to the club.

The positves for me were Petracca and Oliver. I thought while Lever was under immense pressure he was our best defender.

Ed Langdon is proving what an absolute brilliant pick up he's been. Lesson for young kids who want to see what work rate is all about, grab yourself a few Langdon highlights and watch him work his [censored] off. I also thought Brayshaw on the other wing was good as well.

The 3 keys players we missed today were Salem, Ben Brown and Jack Viney. I said this a few weeks ago, but the impact Brown has is huge for our forwards. He draws 2 defenders and.its no coincidence that when Brown was playing McDonald and Fritsch had career best games. 

Viney is the general around our stoppages and directs our set ups and stoppage clearences.Him being out has left a significant hole and it's been telling the last few weeks.

Enough said by Salem. He is our barometer and just sets us up so well from half back. Please be back next week.

Funny enough I wasn't angry about this loss because I think Adelaide played really well and I thought we'd win this comfortable. But what this shows is that there is no easy teams this year. Every win is so significant and I feel like this is exactly the lost we needed.

 

 

 

Bang on, especially the highlighted. This one is on the senior players and their decision making late. Hibberd’s burn of Tmac when open was stupid, players like Max who really just needed to keep simple. 

May’s performance was pathetic tonight and that last contest with the ball completely evading him and ending up in Tex’s hands as he completed the mark around his shoe laces summed it up. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    DELTA DEMONS by KC from Casey

    There was an ill wind blowing for the home side at Casey Fields on  Saturday but you wouldn’t have noticed if you turned up seven or eight minutes into the second quarter with the scoreboard showing the Casey Demons holding a lead of 7.5.47 to Footscray’s solitary point. Up to that stage, the depleted Dees combination had taken full advantage of the windy conditions and headed by veterans Nathan Jones, Jimmy Munro and Mitch White had came out of the blocks and plundered the Bulldogs’ defence.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ON THE FLY by George On The Outer

    After spending most of the previous day in the air, flying between Queensland and Victoria, it was hard to imagine the Demons would be at their best.   But this team was on the fly on the field as well and produced a clinical display which saw them record a 98 point win to put aside any questions about the side being out of form.   Certainly, the Suns who have fallen away badly in the second half of the season were their opponents, but with the Demons looking for a confidence boo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS by The Oracle

    This weekend, the Melbourne Football Club was supposed to embark on a tour that started with what looked like an innocent trip to the country’s sunny Gold Coast. However, the Covid19 pandemic intervened to bring them back home for this week at least. Next week, it’s off to the West Coast but conspiracy theorists are already suggesting that this interstate sojourn could take the team all the way across the country over the next month and indeed, there are cynics who even believe that it could bec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

    The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...