Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs Adelaide

Demonland

54 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Premiership contenders don't lose to teams like Adelaide.    We might make a prelim but we wont win the flag.

The  Dogs and Lions will beat us the next two weeks.

Yep can see it a mile away

They applied more pressure than us all game. Even in the last, when we finally shot our pressure to our benchmark their pressure was better.

Which is why we got no advantage from our clearances. Most were under real pressure.

And we didn't spread and gut run. Meaning we couldn't keep the ball in our half. Or stop their transition.

And players like jordon were off with their kicking and hunt and rivers could not get any run.

And we fumbled more than we have all season and dropped marks we haven't been.

Better in the last, but they deserved to win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Crows played a very high risk game style that they cannot possibly sustain for long periods - almost our 2018 brand. We should have been ready for it but they were a bit flukey all night. Watch them get thumped next week because they really got up for tonight’s game.

As for the umps that is the 3rd or 4th game there have ruined the end result by a bad last 30 seconds.  In the scheme of things it’s not a huge thing but imagine that happening in a GF. 

Montagna mentioned a captains challenge on fox footy a few weeks ago, which was shunned at the time but would have been very handy tonight to challenge either calls. That free kick against Lever and Petty were they kicked easy goals were also very soft.

I hope that burns and we turn up with our A game for the next 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

ATM the bulldogs are seriously dismantling a crappy side. 

5 minutes ago, CYB said:

The Crows played a very high risk game style that they cannot possibly sustain for long periods - almost our 2018 brand. We should have been ready for it but they were a bit flukey all night. Watch them get thumped next week because they really got up for tonight’s game.

As for the umps that is the 3rd or 4th game there have ruined the end result by a bad last 30 seconds.  In the scheme of things it’s not a huge thing but imagine that happening in a GF. 

Montagna mentioned a captains challenge on fox footy a few weeks ago, which was shunned at the time but would have been very handy tonight to challenge either calls. That free kick against Lever and Petty were they kicked easy goals were also very soft.

I hope that burns and we turn up with our A game for the next 2 weeks. 

The problem with captain challenges is that all will likely be burned up early in the game unless an unlimited amount are given. There are far too  many iffy moments at contests around the goals. 

Edited by John Crow Batty

Firstly, tip of the cap to the crows. I think there’s going to be a lot spoken about how we lost, but they won through commitment and daring. These are stirring wins for young teams and they should be very proud of it. They deserved it, across the board they played better than us. 

Onto us though: Oliver is a star and almost single-handedly dragged us over. When he kicked his goal I thought we were going to run over them. He was immense. 

The team was shocking though, deer in headlights for most of the night. Our brilliant defence was a failure tonight. Our forward system didn’t function at all, we had chances to win it but Fritta, Spargo, ANB, Kozzie (despite some cameos), Weid, and TMac were well off. Kozzie had an uncontested mark opportunity in the final minute but dropped it.

Our captain Max made critical errors that cost us goals, none more so than doing his best slow motion impression at the end. 

Adelaide brought the heat, I felt like this was a danger game because it was our first true enemy territory game. The crowd built in confident which brought the best from the Adelaide players. 

I can’t finish this without mentioning the umpires though. And this is a general comment for the entire competition. Let’s look at the decisions they’ve made when the heat is on in matches and the decisions are critical:

- Cats v Lions at KP: clear HTB but called play on

- Swans vs Cats at SCG: clearly more than 15m kick but called play on

- now Crows v Dees in Adelaide: clear deliberate out of bounds, but called play on

The umpires are wilting under home ground pressure and failing in their jobs. They didn’t cost us the match, but they cost us the opportunity at levelling/winning the match. 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

tried to save the game wayyyy too much. we definitely needed another goal. 

that umpiring non-deliberate call i want an official afl apology for. 

Shall they address the apology to you personally or to the club?

Terrible non-call by the umpire but we put ourself in that position. Bad night...we were always going to lose at some stage and hopefully it is a good re-set

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Demonland said:

The loss we had to have ...

Nup that is negative thinking, why a loss we had to have?? Good teams just keep winning and winning and winning, Lose to Adelaide??? Shocking indictment on the mentality of players and more shocking selections cost us dearly

Melksham should not play again unless we have a million injuries

Weederman will not make it at Melbourne

Spargo showed why in a game his deficiencies of actually getting the ball will NOT win finals

Petty Not up to it

Jetta , unfortunately past it

• Like 1

Well all the media now will come out with typical Melbourne loss, got ahead of themselves & they aren't trustworthy. 

In a strange way I will be more annoyed if we win next week because it's like you can't beat Adelaide but you beat the top team.

I just can't believe how bad some of our best players were today

52 minutes ago, Ausrak said:

Awful umpiring. Even worse commentary. Pull yourself together, lads.

7 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Agree. RUTHLESS?? Hardly. Just went through the motions v Swans and v Blues. Had reasonable wins but should have won each by 4-5 more goals. Tailed off and again tonight. 

And just by the by, we didn’t kick a goal for the last 13 minutes of the game while the Crows kicked 3. So much for superior fitness. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KingDingAling said:

We did ok. Really tough game to play against Adelaide at home when the umps are up and about. Good solid game. We will learn a bit. Max was off, Lever was good but not himself. Oliver huge. Plenty to like. Brown will come in and Viney would’ve been good tonight. Jordan probably earned a break and a freshen up. Good effort by the lads under the circumstances.

I don't know if Brown will come in. I'd rather see Sparrow or Viney come in I think, we were at our best earlier this year with TMac and Jackson forward, an extra tall limits our forward half defensive pressure.

Interesting to see how the coaches as much as the players respond to this

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We got a few our way as well can't really complain about the umps.

Spot on, especially in the first half.

Should never have been in the position to have to rely on those decisions late in the game to win. We were 16 points up with 7 minutes to go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So many passengers and so often our players stood back to let an Adelaide player just pick up the ball and waltz out to launch another  forward thrust.

There are at least 8 players on notice after their efforts today 

54 minutes ago, loges said:

Face it, relying on a free kick in the last seconds to beat a bottom side is not good enough.

Does it mean the free kicks weren’t there?

I get your argument and agree.  But I also think we are allowed to expect fair unbiased umpiring and call out when it doesn’t happen

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Im just annoyed we were the envy of the competition with everyone trying to work us out and a team with nothing to lose seemed to do just that. They got in our faces in typical Adelaide style.

Maybe its better the loss comes interstate and at this point in time and we get a chance to regroup. It did seem we were slipping up every week and North nearly did the same thing. We desperately need the forward line to work better. Fritz and Weed missed set shots that BBB would have nailed. Lets hope after his interrupted preseason he can find some form.

We will find out soon enough.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BAMF said:

Nibbler the only one bothering to appeal for the free.

The deliberate out of bounds could be no clearer. I am expecting the AFL umpiring department to admit the error just as they have admitted game changing errors favouring Geelong this year. 

• Like 1

I would swing the axe and send out a powerfurl message

In Brown, Viney, Sparrow, Daw

Out Weederman, Melksham, Jetta, and take your pick

• Haha 1

We all knew this was coming. The more games we won the more the balloon was being inflated. The routine of winning was becoming normal and anything less just not meant to happen. But you knew that teams drop games eventually and that it was going to happen at some point, I knew though when it was going to come it was going to hurt and be hard to deal with. Not because it’s the first but because losing when you’re doing well always sucks. You’re trying so hard to setup a good season, top 4 ideally. Losses are never fun but in this kind of season they are hard to let go. 

But wow, what an amazing and triumphant way to bring up loss no.1. Not in a 5 goal loss, not in a ‘oh we were just so off our game today, loss we needed to have’ game. But a ‘16 points up with 8 mins left and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against a bottom 6 team’ kind of job. No pain spared and everyone crying all the way home. 

The one positive thing is that the sideshow is over. This club never deals well with sideshows. Adem Yze’s game streak? Nup too much of a sideshow let’s drop him (granted he was playing poorly). So now it’s over and it’s time to move forward. 

The game itself. I always seem to hold the 2002 game against Freo in Perth as a reference point for a game we haven’t played all that well in and you were never comfortable but got what seems to be close to a match winning lead, then things start to fall flawlessly into place for the opposition and the dream fairytale victory right at the death. Today was one of those for me, there was never any comfort and we never looked like taking the game by the scruff of the neck. The game for the most part was not on our terms and we looked scared out of our skin especially when the Crows took the ball through the corridor. 

I don’t know if others are as harsh on some of our performances as me but we had some serious passengers who put in total shockers today. Had we been playing the Dogs or Port we would have been blown off the park. I would put Clarry’s game amongst a handful of games I’ve ever seen where a man has been possessed and he literally looked like he had the ball on a string. It seemed to bounce up for him and that last goal was magic. It hurts so much that he wasn’t able to will us over the line. We may not have deserved it but he deserved it. Trac was reasonable too if not always clean. Gawn was good around the ground despite a few drops and the holding the ball late, and Ed Langdon I would say were the only ones who looked like they played on a winning team. There is a massive drop off to the rest. Jetta, Fritsch, Hunt, Weid, Pickett, Jordan, May all played like potatoes. I though Gus’s game was decent, was working very hard. Lever was ok in moments, made some total balls ups though and the fans didn’t they love it. I can just imagine those numps walking out of Adelaide oval talking to their friends, their wives, their girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands, brothers, sisters saying crap like “How good was it that we got one over that runt!” Laugh it up you peanuts. I hope you get a bad batch of Mclaren Vale tonight that tastes like p-155. 

Our backline chose today to totally forget what they have done so well through the year killing contests in the air and being clean on the ground. We gave away countless goals thanks to crappy in the air stuff. Even that last Mark Walker took was stupid in my eyes. Our back line couldn’t catch a cold today, which is actually good because I’ve got one right now. And May, my god this was the most shocking game I’ve seen from him for a while. 

Im going to finish this here because now I gotta find some way to get my mind of football for the rest of the evening. What a cruddy result, I was hoping we’d just win forever for the rest of my life. Ok now I’m getting silly. Maybe I’ll come back when I’ve cooled. I hope we are back, there’s gonna be some wound licking firs but come on Dees. 

• Like 4