Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TEAMS: Rd 10 vs Adelaide

Demonland

1 hour ago, Dr.D said:

HAHAHA who was right AGAIN about Ben Brown deserving of being dropped? 

All of you people saying I had rocks in my head for saying that he needed to be dropped. Next minute, dropped. Albeit, a couple of weeks too late. 

I'm 1-2 weeks ahead of all of you!

Brayshaw is coming!

Honestly mate, congrats on your guess, but Brayshaw is not getting dropped anytime soon, he is playing the role that's been set for him very well, but i'm not at all surprised you missed that. 

• Like 5

Not surprised Melksham is back given I don't think there's really a small/mid typed forward who is knocking the door down at the moment. Might be a bit of best of a bad bunch. I'd expect Melksham will come out for Viney in a week or two anyway.

Fingers crossed Bailey Laurie can play some good VFL footy in the second half of year, would play a similar role to Melksham.

I would have kept Brown for a couple more weeks but understand the added mobility of Weid is enticing.

Edited by adonski
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Hi Pates. My comparisons are based on the bigger body of work from both where one has finished runner up in the Coleman in two of the previous three years and the other as you've mentioned played really well in a final three years ago. 

Yep fair enough, Brown’s reputation and body of work from winning multiple Coleman medals is definitely something he has going for him. It was what got him picked over Sam when between the two of them Weid clearly had better form. I don’t think people should get too hung up on Weid being in this week, this is an opportunity he’s been given for the work he’s put in at Casey. 

Brown will be back and I’m locking it in right now he will absolutely destroy a team this year (talking 7+ goals). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Id back Chandler in front of Melksham and do u know why? HES GOT MORE GRUNT

Cmon Pickett we have more than enough grunt, Chandler was waay out of his depth last week 

Melksham although lucky offers more icing on the cake with his disposal & l would take him before Chandler atm

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

yes I agree. but Brown's form wasn't better than Weideman's in the vfl so initially it didn't seem like a fair promotion. Nonetheless I was totally unimpressed with Browns first game that I felt that he deserved instant demotion. His dropped mark and a sloppy free kick in the forward 50m he gave away in the last quarter were momentum killers and he could've lost the game against better competition.  So I was calling for his demotion immediately. And just like all of these people saying 'oh you can't drop Chandler after 1 game' nonsense. Of course you can!

Fair call, but it was a pretty even split on bringing in Weid before and after the game, both were performing well in vfl. But the FDs decision to give BB another week was vindicated with his performance against Sydney, so I don't thInk you are as ahead of everyone as you think. It seems it was only ever about either giving Weid or BB a 2/3 week stint. None of our key forwards were getting dropped after a week. Chandler is a role player, so it's not comparable.

Edit: Furthermore giving Weid his first game against a dogged Swans outfit might've been a very poor decision.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Goody seems pretty close with Melksham so I feel he is favored, but he really needs to start performing as he is no where near what he was a n 2018.

Imo melk should never of been dropped for chandler in the first place 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

yes I agree. but Brown's form wasn't better than Weideman's in the vfl so initially it didn't seem like a fair promotion. Nonetheless I was totally unimpressed with Browns first game that I felt that he deserved instant demotion. His dropped mark and a sloppy free kick in the forward 50m he gave away in the last quarter were momentum killers and he could've lost the game against better competition.  So I was calling for his demotion immediately. And just like all of these people saying 'oh you can't drop Chandler after 1 game' nonsense. Of course you can!

Different players and different situations. You can argue that Browns two goals vs North were lucky but he took the #1 defender and provided a focal point to allow Fritta to kick his bag. It was clearly a pass mark for an experienced player playing his first game for the club as he contributed positively. Chandler did not, I’d argue it is still harsh to drop him so quickly but the form grades don’t even compare. Brown also vindicated his selection by playing better against the Swans.

This is an opportunity for Weid, Brown will be back. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Could be.

Heard on the Gawn/Brayshaw podcast that they are having two nights in Adelaide. 

VFL play Sunday, so the sub could get a flight back on Saturday night or Sunday morning and play at Casey if they don’t get a run. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Paulo said:

Chandler worked his butt off for that look last week.  Ok so it wasn't the greatest entre' we've ever seen but when you're in a position to give a few opportunities to those knocking on the door, replacing a fringe or out-of-form player against an oppo that's not highly rated at present, then i don't mind it.

Gives those knocking a bit of a taste and a small window for them see what's required to reach the next level and stay there.

Also ensures those above stay on their toes and don't rest easy.  Gives others at Casey hope that they might get a look in as well if they persevere and keep pushing hard to improve.

While i'm not saying we flirt with multiple changes every week just for experiment sake, the odd minor adjustment when the opportunity allows, should make for a very healthy competitive "winning" culture.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2

Well I was right about Brown being one of the many on the bubble. 

I think this tells you how highly they rate Weideman. Sure he can do near as good a job as Brown but they want him to re-sign...

I still think BBB out of the square in a tight final is hard to beat but I applaud the MC sticking to their guns.

Speaking of...

Are people really going to get the [censored] over Chandler being dropped? Why exert so much energy over which of the 20th to 27th best player is playing? Especially when they didn’t sit anything alight last weekend.

• Like 3

Well young Sam, here is your chance son!  I want to see him hold a handful of marks, lay some strong tackles, crash a few packs and kick at least a couple of sausage rolls. Step right up to the plate and give those fans that believe in you something to get excited about. I reckon you owe it to them.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Brown can manufacture goals a bit better than Weid can, and if he takes a mark inside 50, it’s 80% going through compared to Weid who is a 50-50 set shot.

Having said that, Weid can crash packs better than Brown and is better at ground level. It’s a tough choice.

Let’s see how Weid goes this w/e, but if he doesn’t hit the scoreboard, then surely Brown comes back in. We need as much scoreboard pressure against the Dogs that we can get.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Paulo said:

Three matches ago I would not have agreed with you Paulo, he was lazy and pretty close to putrid. The following game I thought he did pretty well and was unlucky to be dropped. If a competitive Melksham shows up he is an asset. Otherwise the revolving door continues for him.

Edited by Left Foot Snap
Spelling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Damo said:

I guess I just dont see what others do in the Weid and accept it must be me. OK. I cant believe we have not yet allowed BBB a bit of a paddock and told everyone to get out of the square as we brought in an expert. Thats my flawed view.. Instead we have the Weid who "looks" dangerous. I got it wrong with Kozzie thinking he wouldnt work so ok maybe the Weid is the key. I just hope we are not going to bomb the goal square which I see creeping in. Helps no-one.

I think we're winning through system, not talent at the moment and I'm not sure Brown fits that well into our system. Sure if TMac didn't regain his form he'd be a decent combo with Weid but with TMac playing out of his skin it means we have the luxury of being able to pick and choose our preferred combo. We're not going to alter our structure to clear out the 50 and create space for Brown especially not with the form we're in.

With regards to Weid I think he came on pretty well last year and would've kept improving had he not had to be the lone man up forward for the second half of the season. With TMac injured/out of form and Jackson injured Weid struggled being the only one up there and being double teamed, especially with the way we were playing and bombing it on top of his head. I thought he showed great intent last week attacking marking contests even though he let a couple slip through his hands. He missed two shots for goal but they were both from 50 out on the boundary. Brown was playing deep last week forcing Weid further up the ground (when he wasn't backup ruck) so I'd like to see him having a run at it as the deep forward with TMac and Jackson playing higher/rotating into the ruck.

Weid's numbers last year for a key forward were pretty good and it's easy to forget he's only 23 (24 next month). I still believe that with a decent run of games, support around him, maturity and development he can grow in confidence and become our key forward target for the next 10 years. Look at Hawkins, he was much maligned his first few seasons and it wasn't really until 2010/11 he started playing with consistency (and that was in one of the all time great sides). Now he is considered one of the best key forwards of the last 5-10 years.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 11

I feel for Brown, it could have easily have been Weid dropped this week - but it'd be stiff to drop Weid after only one game given his Casey form and potential (much of it known based on some good work last year). Weid is young, has a lot of positives, but has been stunted by injury and a severe lack of delivery from the 'bomb it in' crew of 2019-2020. Our structure and delivery is much, much better this year, and he should benefit from that, especially with Jacko back in the team.

This leads to the Melksham call-up. Look, is he the 'gruntiest', most visible stat gatherer on the ground? Nope. Not by a long shot. He sometimes looks a little indifferent and casual. BUT he is also one of the best marks and creative kicks in the team - so even if he only gets 10 touches a game, but creates a few goals from those, I'll take that. That makes a difference in tight games. We have enough ball winner types. What we also need is some creativity. It won't always work, but then again the FF types don't always kick bags or have much of a presence either. 

Good, but tough changes today - would love to see Sparrow get a gig at some point, and very much looking for Viney to return as he really does make a difference. But only when he is 100%. 

How good is this? We have depth - and our selection issue is that good players miss out, rather than having to continually rotate and recall spuds because nothing is working. 

What a time to be alive!

Edited by RedButMostlyBlue
typo
  • Like 10

27 minutes ago, ProperDee said:

Well young Sam, here is your chance son!  I want to see him hold a handful of marks, lay some strong tackles, crash a few packs and kick at least a couple of sausage rolls. Step right up to the plate and give those fans that believe in you something to get excited about. I reckon you owe it to them.

I was thinking the same thing, I will be watching him closely this week

He is coming into his prime years now and has showed he has the talent.

I really hope he rips this game apart and never plays vfl football again 

Mad sam 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Flag 2021 said:

BBB's ground level game : he looks like a giraffe when he's working beneath his knees. Or at least he did last game when he went  down the ground chasing the pill.

If he plays, he plays from the goal square.

A giraffe on roller skates

I like it. Weid needs to be given an opportunity to show what he is capable of. Brown was the only out for that scenario. All of those posters against Melksham inclusion, he is a quality footballer. Sure, may not be impacting games as much as he did, but at this stage is a better prospect than Chandler

• Like 1

Melksham was dropped last week and rightly so. I reckon this kick up the bum should get a reaction

We have Weed/TMac/Jacko on a dry deck this weekend and then under the roof next week.  We need blokes who can make space and deliver the footy to the big guys.  Melk along with Fritsch/Trac etc are perfect for this and we need them out there to get the ball quickly and accurately fwd

having said that, if Melk doesn't do the team things he will be dropped again. 

The more I think about it, very good changes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think we're winning through system, not talent at the moment and I'm not sure Brown fits that well into our system. Sure if TMac didn't regain his form he'd be a decent combo with Weid but with TMac playing out of his skin it means we have the luxury of being able to pick and choose our preferred combo. We're not going to alter our structure to clear out the 50 and create space for Brown especially not with the form we're in.

With regards to Weid I think he came on pretty well last year and would've kept improving had he not had to be the lone man up forward for the second half of the season. With TMac injured/out of form and Jackson injured Weid struggled being the only one up there and being double teamed, especially with the way we were playing and bombing it on top of his head. I thought he showed great intent last week attacking marking contests even though he let a couple slip through his hands. He missed two shots for goal but they were both from 50 out on the boundary. Brown was playing deep last week forcing Weid further up the ground (when he wasn't backup ruck) so I'd like to see him having a run at it as the deep forward with TMac and Jackson playing higher/rotating into the ruck.

Weid's numbers last year for a key forward were pretty good and it's easy to forget he's only 23 (24 next month). I still believe that with a decent run of games, support around him, maturity and development he can grow in confidence and become our key forward target for the next 10 years. Look at Hawkins, he was much maligned his first few seasons and it wasn't really until 2010/11 he started playing with consistency (and that was in one of the all time great sides). Now he is considered one of the best key forwards of the last 5-10 years.

Love this analysis Dr.  A nice comparison with Hawkins.

Weid fits the system. You’re spot on and I hope it all clicks this week, could be an awesome game to watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, No10 said:

Love this analysis Dr.  A nice comparison with Hawkins.

Weid fits the system. You’re spot on and I hope it all clicks this week, could be an awesome game to watch.

Another player you could compare weid to,  would be a bloke who up until this year, was pretty much on par with and it just so happens he was drafted in the same draft and taken the very next pick after sam and that player would be Harry Mckay

Same age and similar stats before this year

Edited by Paulo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Brown can manufacture goals a bit better than Weid can, and if he takes a mark inside 50, it’s 80% going through compared to Weid who is a 50-50 set shot.

Having said that, Weid can crash packs better than Brown and is better at ground level. It’s a tough choice.

Let’s see how Weid goes this w/e, but if he doesn’t hit the scoreboard, then surely Brown comes back in. We need as much scoreboard pressure against the Dogs that we can get.

I'm not sure how you arrived at some of these view points ATBG.

There isn't that much difference in their career accuracy at goal.

BB 59.8%

Weid 52.9%

Stats aren't everything but they are a rough guide given enough matches to compare.

To date, in pretty much every career average, BB either has the Weid well and truly covered or marginally ahead.  Including...

? Marks inside 50... 2.3 to 1.4

? Inside 50 Ground Ball Gets...1.3 to 0.8

?Ground Ball Gets ... 2.5 to 2.3

? Contested Marks....1.6 to 1.3

? Marks on a lead ...1.6 to 0.7

? Shots at goal...3.7 to 1.9

? One percenters 

? Meters Gained 

? Contested Possessions

?Uncontested Possessions

?Shots at Goal .... 3.7 to 1.9

?Goals...  2.2  to 1.0

?Score involvements ... 5.4 to 3.8

?Tackles inside 50 ... 0.6 to 0.5

?Pressure Acts... 7.9 to 6.8

?Hit outs to advantage ...0.5 to 0.3

There are a few neck and neck results, such as Tackles inside 50 (see above) and goal assists (level pegging).

The one area where Weid is ahead...

? Tackles (general) ...1.3 to 1.1

Fair to say Weid would want to get moving from here with some consistent solid performances.

https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Compare?playerIds=CD_I291867,CD_I993806&comparisonTab=h2h

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 4