Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Significance of 9 Wins in a Row

Flower Magic

2 hours ago, one_demon said:

I've always had the view that it's not a bad thing if you’re not playing your best football this time of year.  I just worry that we've peaked too early.

peaked?....   we've only been jogging so far......wait till we start raising a sweat

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, old dee said:

Sadly I agree with you tiers however I do enjoy 9 zero more than any other result at this point. And we still haven’t beaten anyone above us!

Looking forward to never having to beat anyone above us!

• Like 2

Despite all the hoo-har,  it only means we are playing consistent footy.  That is the significant part.   A more interesting stat from the first crack last night was the win's ladder vs top 8 teams.  We sit on top of that with the best percentage, for example Port have only beaton 1 top 8 team, etc.  More of an indication of where we really sit.    

I expect our fwd line with the recent changes to take another game or two to settle, but its varied enough to keep opposition teams off balance throughout a game.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, one_demon said:

I've always had the view that it's not a bad thing if you’re not playing your best football this time of year.  I just worry that we've peaked too early.

We haven't had a 4 quarter effort yet! Nothing to worry about!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

25 minutes ago, Darkhorse72 said:

Despite all the hoo-har,  it only means we are playing consistent footy.  That is the significant part.   A more interesting stat from the first crack last night was the win's ladder vs top 8 teams.  We sit on top of that with the best percentage, for example Port have only beaton 1 top 8 team, etc.  More of an indication of where we really sit.    

I expect our fwd line with the recent changes to take another game or two to settle, but its varied enough to keep opposition teams off balance throughout a game.  

Is that top 8 at present or where the opponent was when we played them

18 hours ago, Bleed red and blue said:

After 40 years all I want is one just one time to see them lift the cup 

Already told the missus and kids if we do I'll be missing for a month 

Just one time

Serious question Where will the big party be held if we happen to win it? I too will take all my leave and turn into a mad drunk for a month 

Edited by Rednblueriseing
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, one_demon said:

No we still can get much better, still many areas to improve on

• Like 1

In those few years in wich we have been comparatively successful we have usually made a late run that sees us just scraping into the finals.

Thus we attracted the favoured underdog status. Others would call it pity.

Have noticed that with early success we are often now described as "insufferable Melbourne supporters"

Boy.. it's fun

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

So seriously, hands up, who thought we'd be in this position of 9 - 0.

Since 2018, I've wanted us just to finish top 4 and thought we had a side capable of that, but never really thought that we would be without a loss up to this point in the season.

No that we are here, I'm not sure why we couldn't beat either or both of the Bulldogs and Lions, although I'm equally not sure that we are playing at our best, so wouldn't be surprised if we went on and lost one or both games.  I think it should help our form getting Viney back sometime in the next few weeks hopefully.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

So seriously, hands up, who thought we'd be in this position of 9 - 0.

Since 2018, I've wanted us just to finish top 4 and thought we had a side capable of that, but never really thought that we would be without a loss up to this point in the season.

No that we are here, I'm not sure why we couldn't beat either or both of the Bulldogs and Lions, although I'm equally not sure that we are playing at our best, so wouldn't be surprised if we went on and lost one or both games.  I think it should help our form getting Viney back sometime in the next few weeks hopefully.

Anybody who reckons they've said that I'll call them a liar! 

For me the significance of being 9-0 is that we are finding ways to win, which has been outside of our DNA for as long as I have supported the club (in the past it's been finding ways to lose!). I still feel like we have only seen us in top gear for a handful of quarters, the second and third quarter against Richmond (because they brought everything at us and we just responded), and perhaps the 4th quarter against the Hawks. All the others we are winning because our players have a system that they're working to, our defense is holding up to pressure when it counts, and our forward pressure is elite.

I'm looking forward to the game where we are at our best the entire game because I think that will really put the competition on notice. We will have to bring our best against the dogs, despite us being top I still personally see them as slightly above us, only because when they get going they are absolutely LEATHAL.

• Like 2

On the Couch tonight discussing the metrics of the Top 8 Melbourne Players that put them all in AA contention.

Screenshot of the accompanying grab for info. Made the point that all these players have played every game. Also said only 5 teams have had their 8 best players play every game.

image.png.f9171dc63cd8d56215f64d3fcbd35125.png

Edited by In Harmes Way
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

On the Couch tonight discussing the metrics of the Top 8 Melbourne Players that put them all in AA contention.

Screenshot of the accompanying grab for info

image.png.f9171dc63cd8d56215f64d3fcbd35125.png

They forgot to include Steven May

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

8 hours ago, The Swimming Dee said:

I’d like to know the significance of 9-0 for other teams in recent history i.e. last 20 years. How many teams that went 9-0 ended up winning the premiership?

Geelong is a modern refference point I like to look back on as a team that had a bit of an up and down, slow build of a premiership team and then went BANG.

Just looking at the records from 2007, they went 3 losses from their first 5 games and then put together something like 15 wins on the trot, before loosing a sole game for the rest of the year in the second last H&A before winning the GF.  If we could emulate something similar to them, I'd be stoked.

I'm not sure we are as good as that team though and one other thing that Geelong side did that season (and in others thereafter) was totally dominate sides.  I wish we'd do that a bit more.  Winning the 4 points is great, but it would be nice if some of our games were under control from the get-go and I could just sit back and enjoy the show instead of stressing.  Lost enough hair (and brain cells) following our team over the years.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Our current wins and % would have been enough to secure a finals birth last season, the consistency we've achieved is incredible. even if we only win 50% of our games from here, we very likely finish top 4 if not top 2. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grand New Flag said:

We need to finish top 2 to give us the best chance of winning the flag.  This season it is likely that 16 wins will secure top 2.  As such the only significance of our 9 - 0 start is that we now required just 7 wins from the last 13 games to achieve this.  

Agree that we need to finish top 2 to avoid an interstate match first up in the finals. I actually worked out that even 17 wins might not be enough to guarantee top 4 spot. There may be a team with 17 wins that finishes 5th on percentage. This is all due to the fact that the 8 is already pretty much set and we will likely see the lower sides (there are pretty much 9-10 of them now) lose more games than they generally do. May need to win 18 games to finish top 2!

We need to aim for 18 wins - remembering we play Port in Adelaide, Dogs at Docklands, Eagles in Perth (when they may have their players back) and Geelong in Geelong. We will probably go in underdogs in all of those games and favourites for the rest (including Brisbane in Alice Springs and the Dogs at the MCG). We might be sitting pretty on top but we don't have an easy run home...

Edited by Northern Summer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Swimming Dee said:

I’d like to know the significance of 9-0 for other teams in recent history i.e. last 20 years. How many teams that went 9-0 ended up winning the premiership?

I think I heard D King on SEN today mention since 2000, 8 (i think it was) teams have been at 9-0 and of those, 4 have won flags. 
Don’t quote me on that, was dealing with [censored] heads on the road driving at the time of listening! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

I think I heard D King on SEN today mention since 2000, 8 (i think it was) teams have been at 9-0 and of those, 4 have won flags. 
Don’t quote me on that, was dealing with [censored] heads on the road driving at the time of listening! 

Decient enough odds, depending on if you are a glass half full or empty sort of person.

2 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Probably because he didn't top out any one particular statistic.  But stats don't always tell the full story.  Not to mention that he should have also been AA last year as well - I think someone has some kind of grudge with May.

And the other point they were making was that all 8 players listed had played every game this year, May has obviously missed one.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 11:06 PM, Bleed red and blue said:

Looking at the season from afar and if all lists are healthy coming into september.TO me it's a race out of 5 teams this year

Dees,dogs,port, tigers and cats

Just all comes down to the top 4 and where everyone plays 

Anyone can knock anyone off on the day ATM but if the interstate teams don't make the top 4 it's going to be tough for them 

The only real smokey at the g is the Swans it suits there game but I think the kids will run out of legs in a long season

Just hope like hell we keep doing what where doing

go demons 

Top 4 almost decided in my opinion Bulldogs Melb Brisbane and Geelong

Richmond may sneak into the 8 as may Westcoast. Port look like sinking and who knows about GWS

20 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

regualtion 10-0 by next Saturday night OD...?

the fun begins the week after

Not too worried about the Dogs.. can stand a loss

It's the Bears in Alice that is shaping as a big game

Not being negative here but if we lose to the Dogs its a good outcome in that it helps the Dogs keep No. 1 spot, and keeps the interstate teams out of top 2.

This guarantees all MCG finals for the Dees if we can keep 2 spot. 

No difference in advantage if both top teams are Melb based. A dogs Prelim would be mandatorily played at the G , and not Marvel.

Then for the remainer of the home and away mathces all dees fans should fiercely wish doggies much success to Round 22. 

• Like 1