Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 10 vs Adelaide

Demonland

21 hours ago, Redlagged said:

Yep. Move our best forward by far out of the forward line. Brilliant.

Same thing could be said for all the demonlanders that wanted Mcdonald moved back. Those people should deactivate their demonland account, go and watch the first 6 years of McDonalds career as a backman and then create a new account. 'Move him back'? jesus christ. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

next week is a straight shoot out between BB and Weid.

LJ is a better ruckman than both of them and offers more around the ground and say what you will in winter you can't play LJ and 3 other talls.

One of BB or Weid needs to kick goals and/or bring the small fowards into play. The other is out.

Perhaps in September there could be an argument for the extra tall but I doubt it.

I reckon our forward 7 at the moment looks largely set:

Talls: TMac, Jackson, 1 of BBB or Weid

Mids: Fritta (maybe Melksham in place of BBB or Weid, dependent on opposition)

Smalls: ANB, Spargs, Kossie.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, adonski said:

Yes, we're missing out playing Jackson, Salem, Rivers in the midfield in very short bursts. I understand it's easier said than done tho as you need to temporarily restructure.

I like your thinking Adonski - even in short bursts to make it difficult for the Opposition to plan and match up.   Salem and Rivers all have something to offer in the middle and as I said we need to be planning for later in the year to have options- either because of injuries or just the flexibility to switch plans during a game. Other teams will be spending a lot of time planning for us second time around. ( e.g Richmond).

Like others,  I don't wish to tamper too much with a winning formula but I feel that longer term planning is also important and feasible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Sorry but that is bunk.. Jacksons competitiveness in the air is outstanding.

He is not clunking his marks yet but neither has Weid ever done that except from memory in that final 

jackson runs underneath the ball far too often. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

i was the first one on demonland to say that Brayshaw needed to be dropped (got criticised for it too) and nothing has changed. Absolutely horrendous by foot and offers nothing defensively. 

Chandler has to go. You can't have a guy have 1 kick in 2 hours of football and maintain this loyalty of earning your spot. No free rides!

Out: Brayshaw, Chandler.

In: Melksham, Sparrow

Brayshaw aint getting dropped. 

• Like 1

i'm not saying we need to do this now as Petty is doing well but why can't they make weidemans secondary position as a backman? i think he has all the tools to be a great backman. speed, agility, foot skills, height. Probably not on the gorilla types but on the bailey fritsch types or oscar allens i think he would do well. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Brayshaw aint getting dropped. 

watch the last 3 weeks mate. horrendous in every game. people are starting to clue on to it now too which is pleasing. 

he may not get dropped but he should. 10 clangers yesterday and 58% disposal efficiency.  

Edited by Dr.D
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Dr.D said:

great analysis. 57% disposal efficiency the week before too. I don't know how smart you are but anything above 50% isnt a pass. 

Smarter than the average doctor. I certainly don't worry so much about stats or disposal efficiency, if you look at the disposal efficiency of a lot of the midfielders of the competition their disposal efficiency is in the 50's at times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

i was the first one on demonland to say that Brayshaw needed to be dropped (got criticised for it too) and nothing has changed. Absolutely horrendous by foot and offers nothing defensively. 

Chandler has to go. You can't have a guy have 1 kick in 2 hours of football and maintain this loyalty of earning your spot. No free rides!

Out: Brayshaw, Chandler.

In: Melksham, Sparrow

Brayshaw will not be dropped, simple. He is playing an important role in the team and is covering stupid amounts of territory. I agree his disposal is something that I’d like to see Mark Williams show particular interest in but Gus did so many important acts yesterday. 

Chandler is the only one I’d have on the block but not every young player can make an impact immediately. I’d be comfortable with him having another week, otherwise being in Sparrow. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Smarter than the average doctor. I certainly don't worry so much about stats or disposal efficiency, if you look at the disposal efficiency of a lot of the midfielders of the competition their disposal efficiency is in the 50's at times.

agreed on the stats front but in this instance its reflective. Did you watch yesterdays game? did you not notice how brayshaw made mistake after mistake. 

1 minute ago, Dr.D said:

agreed on the stats front but in this instance its reflective. Did you watch yesterdays game? did you not notice how brayshaw made mistake after mistake. 

I was at the game , he like every other player on the ground made mistakes, he also done a lot of good things. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Demongirl35 said:

Brayshaws kicking yesterday seemed horrible.

would love to find sparrow a spot in the side

too many talls with tmac weids and brown

would replace weids with another small but brown would want to have some more impact

I  thought Weidemann was okay; yes, he missed  a few marks he should have taken but he also took some good ones. HIs third quarter, particularly, was good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Win4theAges said:

Brayshaw has become a very important component in the team.

His kicking can be a little wayward at times, but he is Intercepting alot of traffic coming into our forward line.

Having Brayshaw play the defensive wing allows us to play through Langdon, who is our real weapon.

Teams have started kicking down the Brayshaw wing to avoid Langdon killing them on the turnover, but then they have to deal with Brayshaw, who while his disposal can stink, can read the ball very well, is very brave and makes great decisions (even if sometimes the brain and the boot don't work together for him).

If we can find an Ed clone in the off season, or someone as good as say Merrett, then of course I would advocate pushing Gus back into the guts. But there is no doubt that Gus on the wing is working really well for us at the moment and even if he fluffs a few kicks, he is not going anywhere.

Who are people suggesting we replace him with? Baker? Vanders? Jones? 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

His holding the ball was a bit unlucky, he bounced out of the pack nicely but ran in to a good tackle. And his 50 was rubbish. Saad was in the protected area and mucking around to draw a free. The correct umpiring is to reset the mark and remove Saad from the 5m area or just ignore it. Our players adapted afterwards and bullocked Saad away from the mark to prevent a similar incident. 

Saad was high fiving his team mates - 'I'm a genius' a la Dangerfield after that fwd pocket ruck infringement a couple of years ago...

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

I get the notion of giving the young guys a few weeks to find their feet, but I rebut that in this instance where the guy's performance was a million miles off AFL standard. His statistics paint a pretty full picture. But that's not the end of it, despite being a midget he even got in Weid's way to fly for (and spill) a mark, nearly ruining a certain goal. I'm sure he's trying his best and would love to eat humble pie, but he's in the Baker basket for mine. Straight out. In fact, Baker's solitary game was brilliant compared to this. 

Also finally worked out how to put a Demonland member on ignore. Are we certain Dr.D isn't Brian Taylor? 

2 minutes ago, No Plan B said:

I get the notion of giving the young guys a few weeks to find their feet, but I rebut that in this instance where the guy's performance was a million miles off AFL standard. His statistics paint a pretty full picture. But that's not the end of it, despite being a midget he even got in Weid's way to fly for (and spill) a mark, nearly ruining a certain goal. I'm sure he's trying his best and would love to eat humble pie, but he's in the Baker basket for mine. Straight out. In fact, Baker's solitary game was brilliant compared to this. 

Also finally worked out how to put a Demonland member on ignore. Are we certain Dr.D isn't Brian Taylor? 

No one is that bad!

1 hour ago, drysdale demon said:

I was at the game , he like every other player on the ground made mistakes, he also done a lot of good things. 

way to make a generic comment. facts are fact. Brayshaw had 10 clangers. One of the highest numbers on the ground. And turned 3 of them over in a row. why are you protecting his performance? It's odd. 

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

Saad was high fiving his team mates - 'I'm a genius' a la Dangerfield after that fwd pocket ruck infringement a couple of years ago...

Footy has a way of sorting out those who try to sneak free kicks. We got a similar 50 soon after. Saad’s best play was a fortunate kick off the ground. Otherwise we kept him stuck on his left foot going down the line. I’m still surprised Essendon got a top 10 pick for him. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

way to make a generic comment. facts are fact. Brayshaw had 10 clangers. One of the highest numbers on the ground. And turned 3 of them over in a row. why are you protecting his performance? It's odd. 

Brayshaw's stats on the AFL website:

26 Disposals at 58% efficiency - agreed can be better but it was also wet conditions
12 Contested possessions - equal 5th on the ground
12 Intercept possessions - best on ground, this meant he stopped a lot of Carlton's moves forward

10 Clangers - your knock on him, Oliver had 11 to top the list with 2 more disposals, are we dropping him as well?

Gus stays, there is nothing more certain.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 58er said:

Cards it was Patches Houlihan  who wanted Tmac ( see previous post) and Angus moved.

Responding to that no suggesting any thing about resting or moving players.

Angus  got the ball but was careless disposer of it at times.

Llve the zest he adds tonight defence around half back and gets the ball out of the area. Another team action like Spargs half back heroics yesterday in the outer side

This team grows before our eyes but must not be too unselfish at times when it's necessary to nail shots or handballs etc. 

Yes, I agree totally........  I think.

23 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

I am not protecting his performance, you are saying he should get dropped because of his disposal efficiency and clangers. 

In my opinion he will not be dropped just because of the disposal efficiency as he is doing a job that the footy dept. want, and despite yours and my opinions it is theirs that matter.

Dustin Martin was deemed best on ground against GWS and his disposal efficiency was 46%.

• Like 3