• Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

• Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

2021 Off season targets

Whitfield and Kelly will be difficult to extract plus the coin they are getting at the Giants is way overs. We can't nor shouldn't match it.

Merrett is the one for mine. He is gettable and would add some real polish to our outside game. Would love to see him in the red and blue. He's a free agent so a genuine chance to switch clubs. We should go hard at him.

Merrett if we have room should be the priority. I would be keen to get Maynard out of the Pies for the right price or Dawson from Swans as the mature Hibberd replacement as it gives flexibility as to how we use Rivers, D Smith and Bowey as they mature in the future. Daniels from GWS would be a good complement to our small brigade and can pinch hit higher. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Demon Premonition said:

One outside midfielder that we have spoken to is Ed Richards.

We are one of three or four clubs that have been laying some ground work. 

Think we would get a lot out of him on the opposite wing to Langdon. 

Cheap option. Would be a pretty straight forward signing I'd rekon.

On 5/15/2021 at 6:15 PM, Turner said:

sorta wanted a place we can all dump some potential names of interest across the competition to strengthen the side. just been spitballing in my head came up with a couple:

a small forward who tackles AND kicks goals, got McDonald-Tippungwuti front of the queue with 1 yr to go on his current deal, could be gettable given the two sides trajectories

wingman: either of whitfield or jkelly not sure about the getability tho especially with the money jelly is tied on and whitfields length of deal but maybe one might fall out to accomodate the other

half back: recently learnt jordon dawson was OOC and it caught my attention. might keep an eye on how he plays next couple weeks just see what he's like as a mature HB option we could look at. also eddy rich at the dogs has had some clubs ask the question and would suit a need but maybe less proven at the level to date

half forward: lipinski, too good to play vfl but at full strength seems to be on the fringes at the doggies so they can fit 12 mids in, certainly an improvement on melky in terms of touches and delivery but mayve less scoreboard impact, could also see harmes move to this role when all our side is availabvle.

What do we do with Weidermann/Jackson/McDonald ? MaAybe we could swap Melksahm with Jeremy Cameron and pay Geelong out ???

TBH . let the draftees work their way into the system. So far this year we have seen : The benefit of Spargo playing when he was 18 and a longer term policy pay off., holding Jordan, Maturing Sparrow, letting Petty mature into his body and get over injuries..

Then we get to the 2019 Draft in Jackson ,Kozzie and Rivers . All look to be B+ to A Graders

So, really we continue drafting/trading and developing. CHeaper and better in the long term. Pus I do not think there is much wriggle room in the Cap.

I would like to target another quick wingman. Firstly so we can push Gus back inside the centre, but mostly so Ed can come play down the members wing more and I can fawn over him like a groupie. Cheers. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I hope we are seriously looking at Cripps.

He’s clearly injured and a star if the game despite what many people are saying now.

1. We can’t afford him 

2. If he leaves he’s going back home 

3. He is a gun but not someone who fulfills a desperate need 

4. See my post above about getting #positivelingers to my side of the G 

cripps has been struggling since 2019 really; he looks a shadow of his former self and i don't really think he nor the blues are doing the right thing by continuing to play him if he's that seriously injured

all the tea leaves seem to be indicating he's signing a four-year extension with the bluebaggers

• Like 1

Kelly would be a dream, but he'd be mad to knock back the obscene coin he's triggered at GWS.

Merrett would be gettable but you'd think the bummers would match all offers and be even less co-operative (than GWS were with Cameron) if he wants out.

Jordan Clark is gettable - elite endurance, great game sense and a top notch kick.

You cant go past having two Ed's on the wings either (Richards and Langdon)!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Kelly would be a dream, but he'd be mad to knock back the obscene coin he's triggered at GWS.

Merrett would be gettable but you'd think the bummers would match all offers and be even less co-operative (than GWS were with Cameron) if he wants out.

You would think that GWS would be doing all they can to make him want to move on. That contract is ridiculous.

He is just the sort of player we need but he would have to take a big paycut. 

I enjoy watching Merrett play, but is he really a priority for us? Another inside mid.. granted his outside game is also strong i guess.

• Like 1

I'd love to pick up Ben Cunnington. Contracted til the end of next year. Only 29 years old, yet too old to be around for North's resurgence. Would sort out our clearance problems. We'd have currency to get him however $$$ would have to be an issue

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

THE POINTY END by The Oracle

The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

• Tell a friend

Love Demonland? Tell a friend!