Jump to content

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview     

What they're saying down at Royal Parade


JTR
 Share


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

Nah, you are right about the 1st 100pt win and that was 2004.

And the year I am referring to was 2006
Both Carlton games played at telstra.
Both loses when they were wooden spooners.
The year we beat the Aints in the Elim.
Again stunk it up in the latter part of the season though.

My memory obviously muddled with all the frustration.
There was so much of it.
But I was at the second game late in the season at 'Telstra' leaving disgusted. 

 

 

I hear you man.

Such an infuriating period were the mid oughts. Neale worked a minor miracle getting the team to where they got to in hindsight.
 

Alas, a flaky culture (that no mere mortal coach could fix over the course of one appointment), glaring holes in the list, amateur and faction riven boards and third world facilities kept us from legitimately challenging. 😖

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Did a bit of a scan at AFLTables for the respective fortunes of the clubs this century. If you think we've been ordinary - well they have us covered in those stakes ...

Since we played (and defeated them) in the 2000 finals series we've gone 176-3-275, Carlton 158-4-289

Edited by Pollyanna
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


15 minutes ago, Pollyanna said:

Did a bit of a scan at AFLTables for the respective fortunes of the clubs this century. If you think we've been ordinary - well they have us covered in those stakes ...

Since we played (and defeated them) in the 2000 finals series we've gone 176-3-275, Carlton 158-4-289

I’d have predicted we were far worse in that period... so sad for them. 😜

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Their best jibes

  • I agree Melbourne are exactly like us lose the games they are supposed to win easily. We are on here.
  • Nothing to show for 70 years except a blown opportunity to get smashed in the 87 GF and a public humiliation in 2000.
  • Now the Range Rover crew are giving us lip? Wait for the snow to melt before cracking wise.
  • May I interest you in Aldi's snow gear sale ⛷ 
  • Melbourne home game, and we will still outnumber them 3/1.
  • Melbourne are due for a loss. Their performance against Norf was deplorable, and were lucky to get away with a win.
  • Petracca will be sore, and Melb are renowned for banking the points before a game is played. If we can shut down Salem, we are in with half a chance.

Their despair

  • Murphy one of our worst performers in the seniors this year but too good to play VFL. Pathetic.
  • If all players were accountable no way would Pittonet and Casboult be getting a game.
  • Some of us are trying to pretend that last Sunday didn't happen. 
  • Murph is nigh on useless.
  • Bringing Murphy back in won't help at all.
  • Round the grounds Gawn will slaughter pit.
  • Pittonet needs to watch how Goldstein & Gawn play and then get 50% fitter.
  • If you'd seen us play last week you'd know that our mids can't even read our own taps, let alone the opposition's.
  • From 2015 we have, through draft, trades, FA and rookie, brought in 68 players, 31 of those are no longer with the club and worth noting that not one of those 31 were traded, all were effectively busts.
  • We are sitting ducks on Sunday - in fact I hereby name Sunday, sitting duck Sunday.
  • I am 99.9% confident we will lose.
  • I can't see us getting anywhere near this mob.

Their madness

  • We are going to smash them this weekend , I've already placed my winning bet.
  • The difference between Melbourne us is that have been through a few of years of learning how to win and it is starting top happen now. Who is to say Carlton is really years away from this - there isnt that much talent differential in the sides- experience yes talent no - Carlton may actually develop faster - we've got serious talent to come back in to this side - more than any other side with injuries can boast.
  • Cripps to CHF on Lever … make him accountable otherwise he will be the difference.

Their discernment

  • Luke Jackson is not playing thankfully.
  • If Melbourne stick to their usual M/O they will start their strongarm tactics. We just don't have anybody that can give it back to them.
  • Pickett terrifies me. If he cuts loose we will be in a world of hurt.
  • Deas are a bloody good side, not unbeatable but they are real quality. We need to go out all guns blazing, bring some genuine physicality and get the jump on them. Then we need to implement a good physical defensive game which we haven't yet.
  • Pickett has a few tricks but averages just over 14 touches a game and about 1.75 goals a game this year. despite the Gary Lyon hyperbole he won't beat us by himself but we need stay on top of him.
  • Pickett is crazy good.
  • Do we have someone who can go with Petracca?
  • Not really, but I think Setters is the best option while Petracca is in the middle.
  • Does Ed go to Petracca or Oliver? Answer: Yes!
  • Oliver - need to keep chewing his ear off about coming to Carlton.
  • An out of form Gawn is still the best ruck in the AFL.
  • From Leppa yesterday "they’re really competitive in the air, but if Weitering or Liam Jones don’t mark it and hits the deck, they’re not winning that ground level ball in their back half".
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Their best jibes

  • I agree Melbourne are exactly like us lose the games they are supposed to win easily. We are on here.
  • Nothing to show for 70 years except a blown opportunity to get smashed in the 87 GF and a public humiliation in 2000.
  • Now the Range Rover crew are giving us lip? Wait for the snow to melt before cracking wise.
  • May I interest you in Aldi's snow gear sale ⛷ 
  • Melbourne home game, and we will still outnumber them 3/1.
  • Melbourne are due for a loss. Their performance against Norf was deplorable, and were lucky to get away with a win.
  • Petracca will be sore, and Melb are renowned for banking the points before a game is played. If we can shut down Salem, we are in with half a chance.

Their despair

  • Murphy one of our worst performers in the seniors this year but too good to play VFL. Pathetic.
  • If all players were accountable no way would Pittonet and Casboult be getting a game.
  • Some of us are trying to pretend that last Sunday didn't happen. 
  • Murph is nigh on useless.
  • Bringing Murphy back in won't help at all.
  • Round the grounds Gawn will slaughter pit.
  • Pittonet needs to watch how Goldstein & Gawn play and then get 50% fitter.
  • If you'd seen us play last week you'd know that our mids can't even read our own taps, let alone the opposition's.
  • From 2015 we have, through draft, trades, FA and rookie, brought in 68 players, 31 of those are no longer with the club and worth noting that not one of those 31 were traded, all were effectively busts.
  • We are sitting ducks on Sunday - in fact I hereby name Sunday, sitting duck Sunday.
  • I am 99.9% confident we will lose.
  • I can't see us getting anywhere near this mob.

Their madness

  • We are going to smash them this weekend , I've already placed my winning bet.
  • The difference between Melbourne us is that have been through a few of years of learning how to win and it is starting top happen now. Who is to say Carlton is really years away from this - there isnt that much talent differential in the sides- experience yes talent no - Carlton may actually develop faster - we've got serious talent to come back in to this side - more than any other side with injuries can boast.
  • Cripps to CHF on Lever … make him accountable otherwise he will be the difference.

Their discernment

  • Luke Jackson is not playing thankfully.
  • If Melbourne stick to their usual M/O they will start their strongarm tactics. We just don't have anybody that can give it back to them.
  • Pickett terrifies me. If he cuts loose we will be in a world of hurt.
  • Deas are a bloody good side, not unbeatable but they are real quality. We need to go out all guns blazing, bring some genuine physicality and get the jump on them. Then we need to implement a good physical defensive game which we haven't yet.
  • Pickett has a few tricks but averages just over 14 touches a game and about 1.75 goals a game this year. despite the Gary Lyon hyperbole he won't beat us by himself but we need stay on top of him.
  • Pickett is crazy good.
  • Do we have someone who can go with Petracca?
  • Not really, but I think Setters is the best option while Petracca is in the middle.
  • Does Ed go to Petracca or Oliver? Answer: Yes!
  • Oliver - need to keep chewing his ear off about coming to Carlton.
  • An out of form Gawn is still the best ruck in the AFL.
  • From Leppa yesterday "they’re really competitive in the air, but if Weitering or Liam Jones don’t mark it and hits the deck, they’re not winning that ground level ball in their back half".

Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed the read 😂

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Pollyanna said:

Did a bit of a scan at AFLTables for the respective fortunes of the clubs this century. If you think we've been ordinary - well they have us covered in those stakes ...

Since we played (and defeated them) in the 2000 finals series we've gone 176-3-275, Carlton 158-4-289

How do we compare to Essendon for the same period?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

How do we compare to Essendon for the same period?

Unfavourably I'd suggest.
We've stunk it up bigtime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

Unfavourably I'd suggest.
We've stunk it up bigtime.

We have, but so have they, a rough phone search suggests only just, same number of finals wins since 2000 though, alas they do have 2000.

I would have pasted the details but on a plane.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

We have, but so have they, a rough phone search suggests only just, same number of finals wins since 2000 though, alas they do have 2000.

I would have pasted the details but on a plane.

It doesn't matter really.
The stats that matter to me reveal they have won 4 flags during my lifetime.
Including one against us.
We have won ..... None.

They beat us in the 2005 elimination final.
They beat us in Danihers last game.
They also beat us when half their side was suspended for doping.

I hate them like no other club.
 
 

  • Like 7
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

It doesn't matter really.
The stats that matter to me reveal they have won 4 flags during my lifetime.
Including one against us.
We have won ..... None.

They beat us in the 2005 elimination final.
They beat us in Danihers last game.
They also beat us when half their side was suspended for doping.

I hate them like no other club.
 
 

Nothing to argue about re the hate, just saying they have been stinking it up for a bit now. They are still years away now though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One interesting post in their post-game thread..

Mate that is exactly what I said to my daughter on the way home from the game.
My observations (was seated behind the goals level 1 behind the Carlton Cheer squad):
- Melb mids seemed to track the ball and hunt in packs of 4 or 5 putting pressure on us. They would spread hard when they won it.
- Their ball movement from Def to Fwd was very slick, ours was scruffy and inefficient. We have to work so hard for our goals, they seemed to do something creative nearly every time they went fwd.
- The value of a gun ruckman was on display today.
- Crippa just tries to do too much, gets caught too often and turns it over too often. I think he needs to get back to basics.
- I saw 6 defenders at their end who looked structured and made our fwds lives hard. Ours were bit all over the shop. Ol mate Plow was bit ordinary at times with his effort and disposal.
I'm note sure what to take out of it other than I can see why Melb are 9-0 and we are 3-6. I predicted a 4-5 goal loss and that's what happened.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

One interesting post in their post-game thread..

Mate that is exactly what I said to my daughter on the way home from the game.
My observations (was seated behind the goals level 1 behind the Carlton Cheer squad):
- Melb mids seemed to track the ball and hunt in packs of 4 or 5 putting pressure on us. They would spread hard when they won it.
- Their ball movement from Def to Fwd was very slick, ours was scruffy and inefficient. We have to work so hard for our goals, they seemed to do something creative nearly every time they went fwd.
- The value of a gun ruckman was on display today.
- Crippa just tries to do too much, gets caught too often and turns it over too often. I think he needs to get back to basics.
- I saw 6 defenders at their end who looked structured and made our fwds lives hard. Ours were bit all over the shop. Ol mate Plow was bit ordinary at times with his effort and disposal.
I'm note sure what to take out of it other than I can see why Melb are 9-0 and we are 3-6. I predicted a 4-5 goal loss and that's what happened.

Thanks mate but geeze that format of text destroys the ol eyeballs

  • Like 5
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

One interesting post in their post-game thread..

Mate that is exactly what I said to my daughter on the way home from the game.
My observations (was seated behind the goals level 1 behind the Carlton Cheer squad):
- Melb mids seemed to track the ball and hunt in packs of 4 or 5 putting pressure on us. They would spread hard when they won it.
- Their ball movement from Def to Fwd was very slick, ours was scruffy and inefficient. We have to work so hard for our goals, they seemed to do something creative nearly every time they went fwd.
- The value of a gun ruckman was on display today.
- Crippa just tries to do too much, gets caught too often and turns it over too often. I think he needs to get back to basics.
- I saw 6 defenders at their end who looked structured and made our fwds lives hard. Ours were bit all over the shop. Ol mate Plow was bit ordinary at times with his effort and disposal.
I'm note sure what to take out of it other than I can see why Melb are 9-0 and we are 3-6. I predicted a 4-5 goal loss and that's what happened.

Remove formatting! Remove formatting! Won’t someone please think of the children?!

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AzzKikA said:

Thanks mate but geeze that format of text destroys the ol eyeballs

 

14 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Remove formatting! Remove formatting! Won’t someone please think of the children?!

 

My bad....that's just how it pasted 😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have killed any chance of the blues making finals. 3-6 is a bridge too far

How many years has the season been over for us by round 9?  Man I am enjoying this season!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2021 at 12:07 PM, Left Foot Snap said:

Unfortunately, I agree.

Unfortunately all MFCSS members like you can go support Carlton off you go, and take beetle with you

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2021 at 7:43 PM, JTR said:

Cripps owes us a big one.

I guess Cripps still owes them a big one. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, DubDee said:

We have killed any chance of the blues making finals. 3-6 is a bridge too far

How many years has the season been over for us by round 5 Man I am enjoying this season!

Just fixed that for you DD.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

One interesting post in their post-game thread..

Mate that is exactly what I said to my daughter on the way home from the game.
My observations (was seated behind the goals level 1 behind the Carlton Cheer squad):
- Melb mids seemed to track the ball and hunt in packs of 4 or 5 putting pressure on us. They would spread hard when they won it.
- Their ball movement from Def to Fwd was very slick, ours was scruffy and inefficient. We have to work so hard for our goals, they seemed to do something creative nearly every time they went fwd.
- The value of a gun ruckman was on display today.
- Crippa just tries to do too much, gets caught too often and turns it over too often. I think he needs to get back to basics.
- I saw 6 defenders at their end who looked structured and made our fwds lives hard. Ours were bit all over the shop. Ol mate Plow was bit ordinary at times with his effort and disposal.
I'm note sure what to take out of it other than I can see why Melb are 9-0 and we are 3-6. I predicted a 4-5 goal loss and that's what happened.

Stop reading after 3 lines, stop trying to look fancy, simple is best

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, DubDee said:

We have killed any chance of the blues making finals. 3-6 is a bridge too far

How many years has the season been over for us by round 9?  Man I am enjoying this season!

Not necessarily, if they are to be competing for spot 7-8 then the only game they have lost you would expect them to win was Collingwood. You would also have hoped to nab one of the unexpected ones. Just the way the fixture falls, hard to build up momentum when you're playing top 4 sides every other week. Get a good run for a few games and they'll be right back in the mix.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, RedBlueandTrue said:

Not necessarily, if they are to be competing for spot 7-8 then the only game they have lost you would expect them to win was Collingwood. You would also have hoped to nab one of the unexpected ones. Just the way the fixture falls, hard to build up momentum when you're playing top 4 sides every other week. Get a good run for a few games and they'll be right back in the mix.

I guess they could win 10 of their next 14 matches but it's very unlikely imo.  they have swans/giants/WC coming up in the next 5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, don't make me angry said:

Unfortunately all MFCSS members like you can go support Carlton off you go, and take beetle with you

Nah, I'd rather be happy than right any day.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Witnessed some real-life Royal Parade baiting at the ground yesterday. Seriously-overweight slob in a shirt & tie in the MCC decided to make TMac his bunny for the day. It didn’t end well for old mate. You wouldn’t have wanted to be 3qtr time-party-pie at the function he was attending.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2021 at 12:31 PM, The Jackson 6 said:

Witnessed some real-life Royal Parade baiting at the ground yesterday. Seriously-overweight slob in a shirt & tie in the MCC decided to make TMac his bunny for the day. It didn’t end well for old mate. You wouldn’t have wanted to be 3qtr time-party-pie at the function he was attending.

I think I dated him 😅

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    DELTA DEMONS by KC from Casey

    There was an ill wind blowing for the home side at Casey Fields on  Saturday but you wouldn’t have noticed if you turned up seven or eight minutes into the second quarter with the scoreboard showing the Casey Demons holding a lead of 7.5.47 to Footscray’s solitary point. Up to that stage, the depleted Dees combination had taken full advantage of the windy conditions and headed by veterans Nathan Jones, Jimmy Munro and Mitch White had came out of the blocks and plundered the Bulldogs’ defence.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ON THE FLY by George On The Outer

    After spending most of the previous day in the air, flying between Queensland and Victoria, it was hard to imagine the Demons would be at their best.   But this team was on the fly on the field as well and produced a clinical display which saw them record a 98 point win to put aside any questions about the side being out of form.   Certainly, the Suns who have fallen away badly in the second half of the season were their opponents, but with the Demons looking for a confidence boo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS by The Oracle

    This weekend, the Melbourne Football Club was supposed to embark on a tour that started with what looked like an innocent trip to the country’s sunny Gold Coast. However, the Covid19 pandemic intervened to bring them back home for this week at least. Next week, it’s off to the West Coast but conspiracy theorists are already suggesting that this interstate sojourn could take the team all the way across the country over the next month and indeed, there are cynics who even believe that it could bec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

    The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...