Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 09 vs Carlton

Demonland

1 minute ago, Demons11 said:

Based on that he has done nothing at VFL level to suggest he is ready for the AFL.  Hunts speed and pressure bring so much more to the team than what Bowey can. 

Harsh.

He's certainly showed a lot at VFL level and was mentioned by Alan Richardson as one of the best players in his North. Currently averaging 24 disposals per game mind you. This is on top of playing 0 football last year.

There is no certainly no rush for him to be playing AFL anytime soon and I'm happy for him to be playing VFL for a while.

His disposal by foot is right up there with Salem and I can certainly see him making an instant impact straight away when given that opportunity. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Harsh.

He's certainly showed a lot at VFL level and was mentioned by Alan Richardson as one of the best players in his North. Currently averaging 24 disposals per game mind you. This is on top of playing 0 football last year.

There is no certainly no rush for him to be playing AFL anytime soon and I'm happy for him to be playing VFL for a while.

His disposal by foot is right up there with Salem and I can certainly see him making an instant impact straight away when given that opportunity. 

I’m not bagging him but I don’t think he has shown enough to get a game in front of anyone in our current team. 
Do you think he is ready to play AFL?

Edited by Demons11

2 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Don't kid yourselves, LJ is a big out.  He offers us versatility that neither Maj or Weid have on the ground, in the ruck (Weid) and up forward (Weid at ground level...Maj would rarely go there if played anyway imv and instead would likely play a major role in the ruck allowing Big M to play mostly forward to cover LJ).

Sure we probably aren't taking a huge step backwards as we have reasonable coverage coming in, at least in the next few weeks against lessor rated oppo.  But the sooner he gets back the better.

Jacksons stints in the ruck have turned games at times, this is a serious loss for us. thankfully we're playing Carlton and Adelaide who we should have covered. 

if we bring in Weideman it'll be very interesting to see how the forward line functions, he'd come in knowing he probably has to dominate to hold his spot because Brown is averaging 2.5 goals a game and T'Mac is playing really well.

Just now, Demons11 said:

I’m not bagging him but I don’t think he has shown enough to get a game in front of anyone in our current team. 

On form I agree. But he's certainly will be putting pressure very soon if he keeps up his form.

There's things he's still got to work on and that's why I'd rather him ply his trade down at Casey. 

On  talent alone he can be an absolute high quality AFL player in the next few years.

• Like 2

Sneaky chance for Chandler in for Melksham I reckon. We lose a bit of mongrel with Weid in for Jacko, so think we may look to balance it out with another genuine small instead of a midsized player like Melk.

35 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Jacksons stints in the ruck have turned games at times, this is a serious loss for us. thankfully we're playing Carlton and Adelaide who we should have covered. 

if we bring in Weideman it'll be very interesting to see how the forward line functions, he'd come in knowing he probably has to dominate to hold his spot because Brown is averaging 2.5 goals a game and T'Mac is playing really well.

There is also Mitch Brown PO.  I'm sure he's just as eager to get back and didn't play too badly against the Hawks at all.

I still think Maj is better at this point for team balance.  Max covers LJ's role up forward.

This allows TMac, who's been crucial to our success this year, to continue in his usual role vs sharing part-time ruck duties with Weid if he were selected.

Having said that my gut feel is they will select Weid but i prefer Maj (just) for the next two weeks (assuming that's how long LJ is out).

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2

Weid can ruck so don’t worry about that, no need to move TMac.

He is a decent second ruck. 

Jackson is a ridiculous second ruck that threatens the fabric of reality, but Weed is decent enough to give Gawn a chop out.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Harsh.

His disposal average is quite a bit inflated by taking most of the kick outs. He's an interesting player, a lot of smarts and class with the ball. But in the 2 VFL games I've seen I've barely seen him in a defensive contest. Barely a spoil, a one on one ground ball or a marking contest. Obviously they were both big wins and he plays the high half back role that's more about closing space than standing a man, but it's just hard to get any read on what he'd bring defensively at AFL level.

I like that he's started at half back because that's where we'd get the most value out of his kicking but I think they might have to move him around a bit just to get a read on his attributes. Throw him in the midfield to at least see how he goes with contested ball on the ground, then have him play some back pocket to take on some better forwards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

Jackson is a ridiculous second ruck that threatens the fabric of reality, but Weed is decent enough to give Gawn a chop out.

I think both will have stints as the second ruck. I see Weid as a more pure forward whereas TMac has a little more flexibility. 

Given we have a forced change, I see no reason to do any other changes. Melksham might be the only one that could worried about his spot. 

We have enough talls who can pinch hit. Gawn will take 90% of the Centre bounces. Weid the other 10%. Brown and Tmac will alternate up forward. Gawn will take the defensive ball ups, perhaps with Tmac helping out if he’s pushing up the ground. 
I am really interested to see how Brown, Tmac and Weideman plus Fritsch who plays tall can work. Can they work? Will we just look immobile? Tmac is quite good defensively. Weideman is not. Nor is Fritsch. Brown is mediocre at best. 
It will be fascinating. If it’s very wet we might struggle. 

• Like 1

Brown did plenty of rucking at North to back up Goldstein. I think he would make a better fist of it than the Weid. Having said that, all 3 tall forwards can pitch in as needed. I'd expect Gawn to stay in the back half of the ground and the three talls to cover the forward half.

33 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Brown did plenty of rucking at North to back up Goldstein. I think he would make a better fist of it than the Weid. Having said that, all 3 tall forwards can pitch in as needed. I'd expect Gawn to stay in the back half of the ground and the three talls to cover the forward half.

He's certainly tall enough, I think it'd be better to keep him out of the ruck with his dodgy knees though. Weid has done it in the past, as has TMac. If they do end up picking Sam it'll be interesting to see how it goes with 3 true tall forwards in the line up, Jacko has been playing more as a 2nd ruck/mid rather than a ruck/forward, so we may be asking Sam and Tom to try to impact the 2nd and 3rd contests almost more than the initial bounce/ball up/throw in.

The good thing about bringing Sam in is that it will allow us to maintain the structure we have had all year and Max can keep popping up behind the ball to take relief marks.

To date I think this year's VFL form line is a false economy. There are division 2 amateur sides that would beat 2 of the teams Casey have played this year. Weid has been doing what he should be doing given what he's been up against but AFL is different gravy. 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 7:19 AM, rpfc said:

I understand where you are coming from with Fritsch’s output and I don’t deny that Melksham is under pressure.

However, past output is meaningless really unless you are a star and Bayley plays in a ‘system’ team now where it’s not enough to kick 2 goals a game if you don’t help the team and play your role both with the footy and without.

I can tell you - the direction from the coaches won’t be ‘make sure you get your 2 or 3 goals’...

You won't convince me or the Selectors about Bayley RPFC as he had averaged 3 hosts per game prior to last week.

No one else is  doing that and He is often asked to defend players like Nick Haynes snd has gone that successfully etc. 

Drop him snd our forward line loses its structure and X factor medium player.

As I said Melky should go first Out.

You haven't had any one agree with you so just drop  it and don't come up with fantasies they stent there.

6 hours ago, rpfc said:

Now you are showing your complete lack of football understanding RPFC in your Jacko comments.

Swung game vs Roos and has rucked well snd been a great team man on the ball and up forward.

Go look at the replays.

Weid  is a Good replacement but we must be careful not to lose mobility up forward.  

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, 58er said:

Now you are showing your complete lack of football understanding RPFC in your Jacko comments.

Swung game vs Roos and has rucked well snd been a great team man on the ball and up forward.

Go look at the replays.

Weid  is a Good replacement but we must be careful not to lose mobility up forward.  

Ah, maybe you don’t get my humour...

Jackson is a jet at 19, the kind of second ruck that makes me wonder if you and I are in a simulation.

And my footy IQ is not in question, have a read, you might learn a few things.

?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Ah, maybe you don’t get my humour...

Jackson is a jet at 19, the kind of second ruck that makes me wonder if you and I are in a simulation.

And my footy IQ is not in question, have a read, you might learn a few things.

?

Simulation theory! Now we’re talking!

Jackson is out two weeks at worst * so this isn’t panic stations stuff. Not directed at you - general comment only. Reward form, maintain the system, reward form and principles not the fears

*may actually be 8-14 weeks

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Patches O’houlihan said:it's genuinely scary to think a player of Fritsch quality could get the 4th defender. 

I reckon Fritsch got the number 1 defender in Rampe last week. Might go some way to explaining his poor performance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pates said:

He's certainly tall enough, I think it'd be better to keep him out of the ruck with his dodgy knees though. Weid has done it in the past, as has TMac. If they do end up picking Sam it'll be interesting to see how it goes with 3 true tall forwards in the line up, Jacko has been playing more as a 2nd ruck/mid rather than a ruck/forward, so we may be asking Sam and Tom to try to impact the 2nd and 3rd contests almost more than the initial bounce/ball up/throw in.

The good thing about bringing Sam in is that it will allow us to maintain the structure we have had all year and Max can keep popping up behind the ball to take relief marks.

I think Bbb to ruck in the fwd line.

As to giving Max a hand, that task can go firstly to Tmac and then maybe Sam.

14 hours ago, Garbo said:

Has to be Weid in for Jackson, as good a time as any to see over the next 2 weeks if 3 genuine tall fwds is better than 2 and a resting ruck. If all 3 fire and Gawn is still as effective round the ground then on balance it might be a better mix, thing is we won’t know till we try.

Strong teams with good bullet proof systems must have good depth also \. You must be able to slot other players in without disturbing the system to cover for form drops and injuries

This week is a test of the Dees and maybe other team members need to  lift to assist the win. If you rely on one team makeup you are doomed to fail

The team must meet this challenge

28 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

I think Bbb to ruck in the fwd line.

As to giving Max a hand, that task can go firstly to Tmac and then maybe Sam.

With Tmacs tank and marking, I think he's better to move up the ground and help Max 

I was worried about BBs defensive pressure but he seemed to chase pretty hard against the Swans even if he didn't lay too many direct tackles. I'm sure he's with the program on defensive pressure.

I'd say it's Weid in for Jackson.

Still not fussed on Melksham. If it's wet I'd prefer Jones, Sparrow or Chandler in for him but I doubt it will happen.

• Like 1