Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

POSTGAME: Rd 08 vs Sydney



Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

It got them the first goal early in the last which got them back right into the game.

It did. And their first for the game arguably (papley mark, setting up a crumbing goal).

I can't recall another, but no doubt there was one.

Given the 666 rule they would be frustrated they only got three goals from 17.

I'm.not saying its great, or not a concern. Only having four is a worry, as is 13 differential obviously.

Viney out must be a factor.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, deanox said:

Oliver has been standing wider, and I think it's so he can hit the ball at speed when hunting the clearance. I think in the tactics thread, someone talked about our conversion from clearances: apparently we're winning less but scoring more from them. I can't pull those stats anywhere but if true it looks like we're playing high risk high reward footy, and backing our defence to intercept and win the ball back if we lose the clearance (to mitigate the risk).

That is definitely what’s happening. The problem for mine is that we should also have the defensive, or at least nullifying component at the centre clearance (Viney-esque). The Swan’s forward line isn’t great or particularly threatening at the moment, which other than our tight back six (I thought Petty did well under extreme Swans pressure) keeping them quiet, helped stop the clearance smashing we got from losing us the game.

Edited by Webber
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

I'll tell ya what.
Papley is right up there on the 'Punchable Head List.'

I don’t know about that...

I want you to work the body too.

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Nascent said:

We're 8 and 0 and I don't think we've played our best footy yet this year. What is this club I'm supporting?

Looking forward to a few games with decent conditions and good delivery to Brown.
Tmac's firing and if Brown starts clunking them look out.
Loved that mark at the top of the square he took last night.
Big man who takes the ball at full stretch.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Tarax Club said:

Tom "Terrific" Ripper Ripper Game. Cometh the moment. Cometh the man. Kicked some 'clutch' goals tonight to deny the swannies, back to his best footy. Where are all the self-appointed drop Tom brigade now?

We're trading him at the end of the year aren't we?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

A few have mentioned that and while I understand the traditional name the Dees haven’t been called the red legs in my life time. I liked the look of the socks as well. 

Ironic. Because I have called us the Redlegs all my lifetime 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Webber said:

 The Swan’s forward line isn’t great or particularly threatening at the moment, which other than our tight back six (I thought Petty did well under extreme Swans pressure) keeping them quiet, helped stop the clearance smashing we got from losing us the game.

They missed Heeney.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

I'll tell ya what.
Papley is right up there on the 'Punchable Head List.'

Tough competition in the Swans forward line with Hayward the other main contender and Wicks and McLean up and comers. McLean strutted around like he was Buddy when he’s had 1 decent game in his career and Wicks was belting Salem in the back all game

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Marks inside 50 was the difference. We lost just about every other key indicator or just broke even. Thanks Tmac and BBB. Tmac  was brilliant and it was only by sheer luck that he is still playing with us. It was obvious he was playing injured in the past 2 seasons. We should have treated him better. Last night we played the hunted role as in the previous week. Sydney applied more pressure than other sides have dispensed all season. We were resilient but we have to get back on the front foot to being the hunters again. We can’t play on the ropes all season. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Anb was just ok but geez if u reckon gus and hunt played ok then you have zero expectations.

We won that game off May...Tmac and Oliver.

 

For this game, I thought so, too, deever. Whilst TMac's mark and goal in the dying seconds was very important and exhibited pure class, as well as good fortune, I really thought we won the game on Clarrie's last quarter of determined excellence. He cleared, created and carried us home - absolutely no doubt. 

The rest of the team was important, too - supporting Clarrie to 'go for it' and enabled pathways for his efforts. A few players across the game were down but under constant pressure, some continuity of difficult games and good opposition tactics all take a respective toll.

Great win just the same. Some focus still required to remediate weaknesses and centre clearances. Chandler might have been useful with his enthusiastic carry and attack as a teamed Chandler-Jordan assault. These two, with Kozzie nearby, are a source of talent and would be very difficult to stop. Eight  - Zero. Who would have thought?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forward line pretty much the opposite of last week, Fritsch and Kozzie well held but Brown and TMac stood up. Last week key forwards held but Kozzie and Fritsch kicked the goals.

Gawn been flat for 2 weeks.

Lever tagged

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

Blessed are they who scrap and fight to the end, for they get to sing the song.

Go Dees!

Happy Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

Marks inside 50 was the difference. We lost just about every other key indicator or just broke even. Thanks Tmac and BBB. Tmac  was brilliant and it was only by sheer luck that he is still playing with us. It was obvious he was playing injured in the past 2 seasons. We should have treated him better. Last night we played the hunted role as in the previous week. Sydney applied more pressure than other sides have dispensed all season. We were resilient but we have to get back on the front foot to being the hunters again. We can’t play on the ropes all season. 

Tmac was NOT playing injured. He’s not saying it, the club’s not saying it, nobody is saying he was playing injured, nor would they have any reason to deny it if he was. At all. He was struggling for form, because form, particularly for forwards, is horribly fickle. It happens, as does the way so many on here jumped all over him for it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, In Harmes Way said:

No 1 vs No 2 pressure teams and the game played like that. There were times I thought we were playing us.

I was sitting next to a Swans supporter on the train on the way home who singled out Umpire 7 for a trip to the Albury Wodonga league next week. Thought he stiffed us both.

I thought our centre clearances after qtr time was awful. Did well across half back to repel all number of attacks. Tom Mac, take a bow. That pack mark in the 4th was awesome. BBB did some really nice things and shut up his detractors from last week. 

Nervous for Trac, he didn't look great after the clash at the end. Very proppy.

Great win against a good side. Not good for the nerves.

Well said. I thought the umpiring was awful. It is apparent over all rounds that this weeks umpires directive is to NOT pay free kicks. They let so much go. I suspect number 7, Jeff Dalgleish, the man with the booming voice, was the senior umpire as he overrode or stepped in on a few non decisions. They refused to pay incorrect disposal all knight and throwing was allowed. The worst of the night, was when Papley ran into the protected area and was a metre behind our man how wasn't that paid. 

I would love to hear the review session with the umpires this week. My son was at the Kangas game and Zurhar had a shot from 50 out that missed and went out of bounds. Umpire Margetts paid deliberate. So it wasn't just our game that was putrid.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great game. Shouted myself hoarse and cannot talk tonight. May even need Monday off 🙁

I thought we played well. We let them back but in reality I thought it was more because we were playing  tough opponent rather than our weakness.

If we win one more, it will be our best start to a season since 1956 (our best ever season)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, loges said:

Forward line pretty much the opposite of last week, Fritsch and Kozzie well held but Brown and TMac stood up. Last week key forwards held but Kozzie and Fritsch kicked the goals.

Gawn been flat for 2 weeks.

Lever tagged

That will happen from to week to week as the defensive matchups will change. The beauty of our forward line is that you shut down one or two players and another 1-2 pop up. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even though Sydney kicked the first goals , their players were strutting around like they owned the place and the Swan supporters all around us (how are they allowed to nominate our members area on the ticketing system as the place to sit) were vocal in their arrogance, sure they were about to see a typical Melbourne mental meltdown and capitulation, I was calm, and confident the boys would bounce back. What is this new feeling? Never felt this way at a footy game before. This team is different. After each Swan goal they gathered in their groups and talked tactics, supporting each other, a real team lifter. They didn't panic. They had faith in each other.

Yes, some players had an off night, but others rallied to drag them along. The Sydney flood returned, but it was a sign of Melbourne's unwillingness to give in that allowed them to counteract everything the Swans tried. (Note to Sydney players: beating up on young players while the umpires are preoccupied with the centre bounce is not a sign of toughness.) 

The Big Mac was magnificent. What a master of a goal kicker. When he was lining up on the boundary line on the city end I was supremely confident in him scoring a goal. My friends around me had their heads in their hands. Oh yea of little faith. This is Tommy Mac!

Big Ben took a mark right in front of us with one finger. Ho, ho, what a show off!😄 Looking forward to bigger and better things from BBB.

Even though it was a hard fought win and close all night, it was thoroughly enjoyable. I was never worried or stressed. This is truly a new existence.Happy Sound Of Music GIF

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Well said. I thought the umpiring was awful. It is apparent over all rounds that this weeks umpires directive is to NOT pay free kicks. They let so much go. I suspect number 7, Jeff Dalgleish, the man with the booming voice, was the senior umpire as he overrode or stepped in on a few non decisions. They refused to pay incorrect disposal all knight and throwing was allowed. The worst of the night, was when Papley ran into the protected area and was a metre behind our man how wasn't that paid. 

I would love to hear the review session with the umpires this week. My son was at the Kangas game and Zurhar had a shot from 50 out that missed and went out of bounds. Umpire Margetts paid deliberate. So it wasn't just our game that was putrid.

I saw that, and am still struggling to believe it. Worst bit of umpiring I’ve seen in living memory. I’d love to know what he was actually thinking....maybe he forget which team was going which way. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Tough competition in the Swans forward line with Hayward the other main contender and Wicks and McLean up and comers. McLean strutted around like he was Buddy when he’s had 1 decent game in his career and Wicks was belting Salem in the back all game

The only time I watch the swans is when they play us so .... Never taken any notice of those blokes.
But yeah, with a couple of those goals you'd think they'd hit the front and were kicking clear screaming and thumping their chests.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

I don’t know about that...

I want you to work the body too.

Second only to Toby Greene imo 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dame Gaga said:

Even though Sydney kicked the first goals , their players were strutting around like they owned the place and the Swan supporters all around us (how are they allowed to nominate our members area on the ticketing system as the place to sit) were vocal in their arrogance, sure they were about to see a typical Melbourne mental meltdown and capitulation, I was calm, and confident the boys would bounce back. What is this new feeling? Never felt this way at a footy game before. This team is different. After each Swan goal they gathered in their groups and talked tactics, supporting each other, a real team lifter. They didn't panic. They had faith in each other.

Yes, some players had an off night, but others rallied to drag them along. The Sydney flood returned, but it was a sign of Melbourne's unwillingness to give in that allowed them to counteract everything the Swans tried. (Note to Sydney players: beating up on young players while the umpires are preoccupied with the centre bounce is not a sign of toughness.) 

The Big Mac was magnificent. What a master of a goal kicker. When he was lining up on the boundary line on the city end I was supremely confident in him scoring a goal. My friends around me had their heads in their hands. Oh yea of little faith. This is Tommy Mac!

Big Ben took a mark right in front of us with one finger. Ho, ho, what a show off!😄 Looking forward to bigger and better things from BBB.

Even though it was a hard fought win and close all night, it was thoroughly enjoyable. I was never worried or stressed. This is truly a new existence.Happy Sound Of Music GIF

This is brilliant!

You’ve echoed mine and probs most everyone’s sentiments. ❤️💙

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

    The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    FEE-FI-FO-FUM by George on the Outer

    “Fee-fi-fo-fum, without a Full Forward the Premiership can’t be won!” So said the GWS Giants, as they exposed Melbourne’s fatal deficiency with a nine point win at the MCG.  In past weeks Melbourne has been barely able to gloss over the lack of a serious target in front of goal, while others were able to contribute.  But in a near repeat of the game from the previous week, players running up the ground simply had no-one to kick the ball to, when all that was needed was that one tall target.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MUCH ADO ABOUT EVERYTHING by Whispering Jack

    Let's face it. We Melbourne supporters are a demanding lot. Here we are with our team on top of the ladder with a record of 12 wins and 2 losses, a decent percentage and a fair run home for a team with finals credentials. We have a fit list with lots of in form players, many of who are in contention for All Australian and other high honours, the team’s playing with purpose and cohesion and its VFL affiliate is undefeated and going gangbusters.  Still, we're all walking around with conc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HIATUS by KC from Casey

    After their five week Covid19 lockdown hiatus, the Casey Demons were fairly scratchy against Essendon VFL for the best part of 2½ quarters on Sunday afternoon but they finally settled down to motor away to a 48 point victory. With 20 AFL affiliated players on the team sheet, the Casey line up looked the strongest team ever put together since linking up with the Demons but the team struggled to score in the early going and managed its first goal to Aaron vandenBerg late in the first term.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles


×
×
  • Create New...