Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 08 vs Sydney

Demonland

I feel a lot of people are really understating the significance of last night's win. Sydney were magnificent. They had 40 tackles inside their forward 50 and they threw everything at us.

That was a mostly mature and patient performance. The very definition of "trusting the process". 

Also check out the Sydney Facebook page. Aside from the occasional winge about the umpires, more supporters are praising of the Swans. In a loss. That says a lot about the oppo.

We'll be very battered and bruised after last night. I expect us to really struggle to maintain this level for the next 3 weeks against Carlton, Adelaide and Bulldogs. But last night was as good a win I've seen perhaps ever. 

• Like 21

9 hours ago, Hell Bent said:

Some of Charlie Spargos efforts in that last qtr were first class. Won’t get stats for them but went a long way to stopping their run. Brilliant stuff!

TMac was huge tonight and Steven Mays shutdown on Buddy as good as it gets.

I get excited when he is involved because he is a very, very smart operator.

He is always positioning himself in ways that are setting up others and his creativity and execution is first class

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Did Oliver start doing this vs GWS as a way to break the de Boer tag? I can't remember him starting so wide prior to that. Might be time to get him back to the drop of the ball, especially while Viney's out.

That's the first I recall seeing it, so though it was much more extreme that game.

Goodwin obviously liked something about it because he is still doing it.

• Like 1

In 2018 Max to Viney or Max to Brayshaw were the breakaway tap outs from the middle that stuck in my mind! He doesn’t seem to put it into Trac and Oliver chest that much!

I would like to see Max have two hit outs a quarter where he just smashes it 20-30 metres forward when we’re having a bad centre clearance patch, at least get some territory forward, and put Kossie in the middle a little more often when we’re struggling, just his speed and elusiveness would be good to throw into the mix!

• Like 1

Great hard fought win. Loved it. Would have liked one more goal early in the last.   Was holding my breath a bit. 

Langdon, Spargo, Kossy, Jordon , Rivers, Dogga, Lever perhaps Chandler and Sparra   All relatively new to our club, all relatively young,  I can see this lot as first picked 22 in the next few years, they all have the potential to play 150+ games for the red n blue. 

hats off to the recruiting department !

JT and staff have more work to do with 4 maybe 5 players close to being pensioners.   Go for it !

• Like 1

May was outstanding on Buddy and true to form buddy started sooking it up because the precious petal didn’t get things his own way. 

Bloody brilliant to watch. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Tracc pulling out of that last contest is the reason he got the corky. Needs to go hard as he usually does.

Wow, not what I saw, the Swan slid in to the contest taking his legs out. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

It’s two weeks in a row where it has looked like we were second to the ball too often which is a concerning trend.

Anything you’re not concerned about? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Tom Dyson said:

To give him some credit, Petty did look better than he did in the hawthorn game, competed strongly and only got caught out once from memory. 

Maybe the backline just made him look better but I still think he did a good job. 

He was better than the Hawks game marginally. But he is a deer in headlights. Teams will isolate and go through his man, a big baptism of fire is heading his way and everything I’ve seen so far doesn’t fill me with any confidence that he will pass.

46 minutes ago, Vagg said:

What was with those daggy blue & red sox??  We were always the REDlegs!!  Not the blue & red legs!  Is this something new?  hadn't noticed until last night.

I also liked to see some of the boys in long sleeves.  We had three last night.  Gotta be another record...

Also, is it just my poor old eyes, or my dodgy TV, or do they flash the lights at the MCG after every Melb goal??

And, yes, thrilled to have another (albeit hard-fought) win!

GO DEES!!

We have worn the red/blue hooped socks vs swans for years, they wear red/white against us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

May was outstanding on Buddy and true to form buddy started sooking it up because the precious petal didn’t get things his own way. 

Bloody brilliant to watch. 

Not only did he wear Buddy like a glove, May demands perfection Ox. He’s as vocal as any player I’ve ever seen before during play. Go back to Lloyd’s goal for Sydney in the third that started their run.
How does a guy that takes their kick-outs find himself all alone inside our 50? If you watch the replay Melksham sees him but just jogs casually, Lloyd uncontested turns and goals. May let Melksham know all about it in no uncertain terms.

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, norwood_demon said:

Please get Melksham out of this side. What is Godwin's fascination there?

Melks will always divide opinion. I understand why supporters get frustrated with his half-hearted efforts to tackle and apply pressure. It makes my blood boil when I see it. 

But. His link-up play and delivery is very good. We don’t have too many others in the team that offers what he does. As long as he keeps producing those score involvements he stays in the team for mine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Petty struggled but IMO we have to keep playing him to work on that synergy with Lever and May.

I thought Petty was targeted by the Swans as the newbie, but didn't back down.  He should have been paid that mark in the first quarter as well, but happy the umpires were at least consistent with their interpretations most of the night.  

Like you say he will improve his synergy with May and Lever over the year, but he's tall, has reasonable kicking skills and is competitive.  He'll be better for the experience.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

He was better than the Hawks game marginally. But he is a deer in headlights. Teams will isolate and go through his man, a big baptism of fire is heading his way and everything I’ve seen so far doesn’t fill me with any confidence that he will pass.

We have worn the red/blue hooped socks vs swans for years, they wear red/white against us.

Really?  And why?  I'd prefer we stick with our traditional all red sox against all oppo teams...!

• Like 1

By games end I was pretty deep into the beers so I thought it best to not post ?

The centre clearances need to be fixed. It was always the side where Viney normally stands that they were waltzing it out.

Gawn needed to stand up and get some mojo back in the last, he got some. Hopefully it’s back by next week.

One thing I’m loving is the fact Langdon and Brayshaw both hold their wings and it’s obvious that the players are instructed to play through Langdons wing

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vagg said:

Really?  And why?  I'd prefer we stick with our traditional all red sox against all oppo teams...!

If memory serves me correct there was an out of bounds on the full in a game years ago where they threw it in as the boundary ump didn’t know which player did it as both teams wore red socks. Think AFL mandated the change.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Vagg said:

What was with those daggy blue & red sox??  We were always the REDlegs!!  Not the blue & red legs!  Is this something new?  hadn't noticed until last night.

I also liked to see some of the boys in long sleeves.  We had three last night.  Gotta be another record...

Also, is it just my poor old eyes, or my dodgy TV, or do they flash the lights at the MCG after every Melb goal??

And, yes, thrilled to have another (albeit hard-fought) win!

GO DEES!!

A few have mentioned that and while I understand the traditional name the Dees haven’t been called the red legs in my life time. I liked the look of the socks as well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jaded said:

The Toby Greene of Sydney. A total [censored]. 

Despite his dark side I have a lot of respect for Greene. Really puts in for his team

Not so much that No 11, who seems to be more about...ahhh...No 11.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 58er said:

Didn't risk marking vs Buddy though. 

Yes i meant kill joy on the oppo 58.  What an amazing game he had in one of the all time great forwards.

I’ve been somewhat critical of Viney’s game these last few seasons, but it’s abundantly clear to me that our midfield does not function well without him at CB’s. 

Like last week, the boys have given me another level of confidence with that win. Sydney were fantastic last night, and choking out a good team throwing everything at us for 4 quarters is another feather for our cap. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Does she have a rather harsh voice and isn’t afraid to use it? And bickers with her husband. If so I sat near her last week and couldn’t stop laughing 

No ... she had a lovely voice. No bickering with her husband. I think I talked to her more than her husband. I love her. (Twas on level 2, MCC reserve.)

9 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Our midfield got an absolute bath. Ben Matthews will be smiling I reckon.

Credit to the forwards for getting a score, and very much credit to our backline for a huge job.

But the mids need a kick in the backside.

Harmes - zero first options

Clarry - flat footed

Gawn - awful.

Petracca - going for too much.

JJ - effort good but execution lacking

Brayshaw - diabolical 

Tom Sparrow in please.

Clarry flat footed? Harsh very harsh. Thought he was outstanding. Not Gawn best game but stood tall when needed him. Some of the criticism of our players are way to strong but hey it a free world.