Jump to content

  • Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

  • Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

Lets remove the Norm Smith Curse



Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So firstly I’ll say that I’m a Liverpool fan so clearly YNWA has a strong emotional connection to sport for me anyway. But people saying it’s a Liverpool song is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. I’m living in the UK and we’ve copped it big time from COVID deaths and the impact it’s had on people’s mental health has been really tough. They played YNWA at the Proms last year as a tribute to those who’d suffered and to recognise the front-line workers, and it choked me up big time, hit me like a freight train as I wasn’t expecting it. 

I also remember it was played prior to our match against Essendon that was the tribute to Troy Broadbridge at the request of his family as it was his favourite song. So it has a connection with us already. 

That said, I can understand the calls for it to be something totally different. For something that has a connection to us perhaps “Danny Boy” in memory of Jimmy. Another song that I’ve always thought had a bridging line that would be great for fans to chant is Knights of Cydonia from Muse, it’s always been a rev up song for me. 

“No one’s going to take me alive, the time has come to make things right. You and I must fight for our rights, you and I must fight to survive.”

Not sure it’s very appropriate for any connections to suffering from mental health issues though. 

Edited by Pates
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Pates said:

So firstly I’ll say that I’m a Liverpool fan so clearly YNWA has a strong emotional connection to sport for me anyway. But people saying it’s a Liverpool song is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. I’m living in the UK and we’ve copped it big time from COVID deaths and the impact it’s had on people’s mental health has been really tough. They played YNWA at the Proms last year as a tribute to those who’d suffered and to recognise the front-line workers, and it choked me up big time, hit me like a freight train as I wasn’t expecting it. 

I also remember it was played prior to our match against Essendon that was the tribute to Troy Broadbridge at the request of his family as it was his favourite song. So it has a connection with us already. 

That said, I can understand the calls for it to be something totally different. For something that has a connection to us perhaps “Danny Boy” in memory of Jimmy. Another song that I’ve always thought had a bridging line that would be great for fans to chant is Knights of Cydonia from Muse, it’s always been a rev up song for me. 

“No one’s going to take me alive, the time has come to make things right. You and I must fight for our rights, you and I must fight to survive.”

Not sure it’s very appropriate for any connections to suffering from mental health issues though. 

Go to 5:10 on this clip for what I’m referring to. 

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pates said:

So firstly I’ll say that I’m a Liverpool fan so clearly YNWA has a strong emotional connection to sport for me anyway. But people saying it’s a Liverpool song is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. I’m living in the UK and we’ve copped it big time from COVID deaths and the impact it’s had on people’s mental health has been really tough. They played YNWA at the Proms last year as a tribute to those who’d suffered and to recognise the front-line workers, and it choked me up big time, hit me like a freight train as I wasn’t expecting it. 

I also remember it was played prior to our match against Essendon that was the tribute to Troy Broadbridge at the request of his family as it was his favourite song. So it has a connection with us already. 

That said, I can understand the calls for it to be something totally different. For something that has a connection to us perhaps “Danny Boy” in memory of Jimmy. Another song that I’ve always thought had a bridging line that would be great for fans to chant is Knights of Cydonia from Muse, it’s always been a rev up song for me. 

“No one’s going to take me alive, the time has come to make things right. You and I must fight for our rights, you and I must fight to survive.”

Not sure it’s very appropriate for any connections to suffering from mental health issues though. 

There is a a song that featured on a 1992 video Dublin Jim. It is entitled, Dublin Jim. It would mean a whole lot more to Melbourne supporters than YNWA. No one is gonna sing that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Opened this topic and didn't expect that a song, sung by the faithful, would be the straw that breaks the curse.

I think the curse has broken already, fifty five years, all the 5's later

The MCG missed us. We played last season without touching the hallowed turf. It missed us, and has now given us back the sense of it being a fortress for us.

The curse has lifted or at least lifting.

We will know, either this or the next year. Time for a dominant decade.

That is if you believe in the warm fuzzy's.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you Pates . I now know the song may not been the right one but it DEFINITELY is not the wrong one .

I loved the Sandman entrance but I love even more the Bell ringing to let us know our players are about to come on the ground .

Sorry if anyone missed the survey that would have liked to contribute .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Craig Hutchinson said:

Thank you Pates . I now know the song may not been the right one but it DEFINITELY is not the wrong one .

I loved the Sandman entrance but I love even more the Bell ringing to let us know our players are about to come on the ground .

Sorry if anyone missed the survey that would have liked to contribute .

Support your charitable causes, but stealing another football club’s theme m/entrance song is lame af. It has no relevance to the MFC, no matter how you wish to spin it. You and your mates might sing it, but you won’t get the crowd joining in 

Edited by Kick_It_To_Pickett
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The curse twist was added for fun and to get attention . We will see if anyone will join me on Sunday . As I say to kids who play football " have fun and have a crack " . I will be doing that before the game .

Go Dees

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Pates said:

That said, I can understand the calls for it to be something totally different. For something that has a connection to us perhaps “Danny Boy” in memory of Jimmy.

there's mileage in this.

First there's no copyright on the tune (big issue)

The lyrics could easily be changed to "O Jimmy Boy the MCG is calling" etc. You could add other greats and eras.

Perhaps even a verse in an Indigenous language

It's relatively easy to sing

While having an Irish connection the original lyrics were written by a London lawyer which fits the MFC suit and tie background.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Diamond idea !

In the future singing WILL be a huge pre game ritual ( like soccer ) . I REALLY hope it is in my life time !!!!!!!!!!

People will come to the G just to hear the singing live like they go to Anfield or Wembley . Sounds like fun .

I LOVE singing the national anthem with 90 000 .

My current order - Grand Old Flag , YWNWA , Danny Boy .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Craig Hutchinson said:

A Diamond idea !

In the future singing WILL be a huge pre game ritual ( like soccer ) . I REALLY hope it is in my life time !!!!!!!!!!

People will come to the G just to hear the singing live like they go to Anfield or Wembley . Sounds like fun .

I LOVE singing the national anthem with 90 000 .

My current order - Grand Old Flag , YWNWA , Danny Boy .

Advance Australia Fair is a disgraceful song. Do some research on how it was written and by whom…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Feel free to debate that topic with someone else LITTLE one . Some people , especially if they have a bias , dig deep to find fault . I have NO disgrace for my country when I sing it , the COMPLETE opposite .

If I was a moderator I would give you a warning . 

As a 2 spot contributor can I give him a warning ( a joke ) ,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Craig Hutchinson said:

Feel free to debate that topic with someone else LITTLE one . Some people , especially if they have a bias , dig deep to find fault . I have NO disgrace for my country when I sing it , the COMPLETE opposite .

If I was a moderator I would give you a warning . 

As a 2 spot contributor can I give him a warning ( a joke ) ,

You are a new Troll now go away. 
you obviously haven’t read the history of that song, that I refuse to sing

Be off with you 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Will the song be natural voice of the crowd or will it be led by sound through the loud speaker system? 

The open sparse areas of the G's seating, may not resonate a strong sound.

@Craig Hutchinson

Gee, the thread took a quick fall to the gutter.

Be friendly, everyone has a right to an opposite opinion.

 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My unnatural voice will be leading the way Kev . Have printed 300 pamphlets with the words on the back . I will say hello to a few people at the Punt Rd end . I will be wearing the Cat suit Little One .

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Noone other than the Little One will know what I mean by Cat suit . LO wrote me a PERSONAL message which I unfortunately have to forward for clarity .

" You are one weird cat . Stay out of my conversations or I will tear you apart .

You have been warned . "

You might be 10 feet tall Littleone but I have been warned many times . It is not the size of the dog in the fight , it is the size of the willingness to fight . 

  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

C'mon,  pull back from those veiled and open threats. You are both fiesty individuals.  

"Walk away", it will be better for yourselves, the resultant mental stress and for what the song, "you will never walk alone" is meant to reflect.

It is also uncomfortable and a little embarrassing for the browsers to witness.

Conflict doesn't have to arise because we have differences. 

Make some peace within, share that with the community.

I hope you are both OK. 

@Sir Why You Little   @Craig Hutchinson

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Advance Australia Fair is a disgraceful song. Do some research on how it was written and by whom…

It's doesn't inspire like La Marseillaise or Fratelli d'Italia. Bit of a damp squib actually.

I don;t know the history of it but i imagine your comment might has something to do with our colonial past

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

It's doesn't inspire like La Marseillaise or Fratelli d'Italia. Bit of a damp squib actually.

I don;t know the history of it but i imagine your comment might has something to do with our colonial past

Yes you are correct 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Craig Hutchinson said:

Noone other than the Little One will know what I mean by Cat suit . LO wrote me a PERSONAL message which I unfortunately have to forward for clarity .

" You are one weird cat . Stay out of my conversations or I will tear you apart .

You have been warned . "

You might be 10 feet tall Littleone but I have been warned many times . It is not the size of the dog in the fight , it is the size of the willingness to fight . 

Seen ‘em come and go on here

You are just another one. If you are prepared to make a PM public then you are even less intelligent than i thought. 
But i am not responsible for that. 
You did it

As I said keep a wide birth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    DELTA DEMONS by KC from Casey

    There was an ill wind blowing for the home side at Casey Fields on  Saturday but you wouldn’t have noticed if you turned up seven or eight minutes into the second quarter with the scoreboard showing the Casey Demons holding a lead of 7.5.47 to Footscray’s solitary point. Up to that stage, the depleted Dees combination had taken full advantage of the windy conditions and headed by veterans Nathan Jones, Jimmy Munro and Mitch White had came out of the blocks and plundered the Bulldogs’ defence.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ON THE FLY by George On The Outer

    After spending most of the previous day in the air, flying between Queensland and Victoria, it was hard to imagine the Demons would be at their best.   But this team was on the fly on the field as well and produced a clinical display which saw them record a 98 point win to put aside any questions about the side being out of form.   Certainly, the Suns who have fallen away badly in the second half of the season were their opponents, but with the Demons looking for a confidence boo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS by The Oracle

    This weekend, the Melbourne Football Club was supposed to embark on a tour that started with what looked like an innocent trip to the country’s sunny Gold Coast. However, the Covid19 pandemic intervened to bring them back home for this week at least. Next week, it’s off to the West Coast but conspiracy theorists are already suggesting that this interstate sojourn could take the team all the way across the country over the next month and indeed, there are cynics who even believe that it could bec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

    The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...