Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 08 vs Sydney

Demonland

23 hours ago, 58er said:

Just let This year take care  Of itself Jaded. Thank our luck that Tmac did not find a suitor so he can be a key forward or Blackman as Well.

He can interchange with Petty.

Weid will get opportunities This year and we hope he also performs up to his best.

But I am not sure he is a better forward  than Tommy In the team aspect of forward play. He makes room and opportunities fir our other forwards and his physical strength is impressive plus his high marking at the top of his reach.

Tommy might also be a better replacement for Adam down back than Petty but I believe It will make Petty giving him first op on the Key Position in defence. We can always flip Tmac and Petty from back to forward and reverse.

PS Credit to Simon for pulling the trigger on Sunday plus his move of Jacko to the ruck in the third quarter. We are starting to get some versatile soldiers with ability to influence results let's not let the baby out with the bath water far too soon.

Yes, Jacko to the ruck for the majority of the time  in the third quarter was a master stroke and shows our superiority in the strategic side of coaching. We could easily have lost on Sunday, but instead we asserted our superiority this year.

All power to our recruiting staff. The arrival of Jacko, Kossie in one year by trading pics was pure genius, and has set us up for a dominant next 5-10 years.

The fact that nearly all of our young stars are contractually committing to long term contracts with us just shows their commitment, and what a bright future we have over that period. 

It also shows what a superior administration we have. If you doubt that, look at the Pies, the Hawks, the Cats and the Eagles. I know where l would rather be...

In Weeds, Sparrow

Out Tomlinson, Melksham (But I'm not confident these will be the changes) 

I also dont get the love for Petty, His first two quarters in his last game were heart in the mouth stuff I thought!

Swing Tommy Mac back, Jones played a great game and deserves to stay. Melksham lazy and at times half hearted efforts needs to earn it back in magoos 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pineapple dee said:

Am I wrong in wanting Pickett to have a break and be managed in the true sense of the word.

He is slight and he's coming under increasing heat each week. Might be prudent  to let him have the odd week off to keep him cherry ripe !!

This probably depends on how the umpires observe his play relative to the attention he receives from opponents to put him off his game. Tough little nut in terms of bashings received. Same for Gawn and Fritta. Focus coud also be placed on the holding that is experienced by Clarrie before - well before - he even gets to the ball. I'd agree that in terms of Pickett's overall conditioning, a rest is perhaps soon due.

I don't see the love for Brayshaw on a wing. he turned it over a lot by foot on the weekend and he is terrible defensively due to his lack of leg speed. Did anyone see how easily he got side stepped on the boundary line against north. It's like his feet were stuck in concrete. Against quick teams I wouldn't mind having Baker in instead. 

• Angry 1

55 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

This probably depends on how the umpires observe his play relative to the attention he receives from opponents to put him off his game. Tough little nut in terms of bashings received. Same for Gawn and Fritta. Focus coud also be placed on the holding that is experienced by Clarrie before - well before - he even gets to the ball. I'd agree that in terms of Pickett's overall conditioning, a rest is perhaps soon due.

wait until the bye. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

I don't see the love for Brayshaw on a wing. he turned it over a lot by foot on the weekend and he is terrible defensively due to his lack of leg speed. Did anyone see how easily he got side stepped on the boundary line against north. It's like his feet were stuck in concrete. Against quick teams I wouldn't mind having Baker in instead. 

That happened right in front of me.  I think the only person within a 50m radius who didn't know the North fella was going to sell some candy was poor old Gus.  Hook, line and sinker.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:
7 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Didn’t wanna start a new topic so thought I’d just post this question here...

HTF do they work this out?

I just know that ima be getting texts from jealous non-Dees friends about this and I wanna know what to say. 

3D61E7BA-A44E-41C9-846A-9423D30D7855.jpeg
it’s from today’s HS. 

I'm guessing the round 1 - 7 is based on 2020 ladder position of the opp, maybe the 2021 ladder position of opp  and possibly travel.  Looking at us and Bulldogs I just can't see 18th and 14th given the minimal travel and the very few top teams the bulldogs have played. 

I can see how we would have the hardest fixture going forward as we play Port,  Bulldogs twice, Eagles at Optus, Cats again, Lions (all 2020 finalists) and we have lots of interstate travel. 

But who knows.  Could well be HS don't know how it was compiled...

I think this assessment is pretty fair for the rest of the year, although I can't see how we can possibly be ranked as having had the easiest draw so far. Using current ladder positions we've played (and beaten) the 5th, 6th, 9th, 11th, 14th, 16th & 18th teams. An above-average draw for sure, but it can't have been the easiest of all teams. In any case it is misleading because the positions of those teams partially reflects that they have lost to us. And I would argue that at least 4 of those teams (Richmond. Geelong, GWS & St. Kilda) are likely to finish higher up the ladder than where they are currently.

Going forwards I agree we have a generally tough. The teams we play twice this year are Adelaide,  Geelong, GWS, Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs. I thought was pretty favourable on balance at the start of the season (not quite so great now with the Bulldogs playing so well). One thing that does work against us is that we play Port & West Coast once only but Interstate. Also, we are always matched against non-Victorian teams in Alice Springs (at least we are not playing in Darwin in 2021) and it would be much fairer if we hosted interstate teams (Brisbane this year) in Melbourne and hosted Melbourne teams in Alice Springs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sydney_Demon said:

I think this assessment is pretty fair for the rest of the year, although I can't see how we can possibly be ranked as having had the easiest draw so far. Using current ladder positions we've played (and beaten) the 5th, 6th, 9th, 11th, 14th, 16th & 18th teams. An above-average draw for sure, but it can't have been the easiest of all teams. In any case it is misleading because the positions of those teams partially reflects that they have lost to us. And I would argue that at least 4 of those teams (Richmond. Geelong, GWS & St. Kilda) are likely to finish higher up the ladder than where they are currently.

Going forwards I agree we have a generally tough. The teams we play twice this year are Adelaide,  Geelong, GWS, Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs. I thought was pretty favourable on balance at the start of the season (not quite so great now with the Bulldogs playing so well). One thing that does work against us is that we play Port & West Coast once only but Interstate. Also, we are always matched against non-Victorian teams in Alice Springs (at least we are not playing in Darwin in 2021) and it would be much fairer if we hosted interstate teams (Brisbane this year) in Melbourne and hosted Melbourne teams in Alice Springs.

That’s what I took issue with: saying we’ve had the easiest draw thus far. Easy? Yeah, maybe. But surely not easiest. 

22 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Out: Tomlinson (inj), Baker, Jones

In: Petty, Sparrow, Harmes

Harmes needs to play. No point in putting him in the team and having him as sub. Either he's good to play or you give him another game at Casey for more match practice. Also, I'd like to see Sparrow playing so I'd go: 

Out: Tomlinson (inj), Baker, Melksham, Jones (sub) 

In: Petty, Sparrow, Harmes, Melksham (sub) 

5 hours ago, picket fence said:

In Weeds, Sparrow

Out Tomlinson, Melksham (But I'm not confident these will be the changes) 

I also dont get the love for Petty, His first two quarters in his last game were heart in the mouth stuff I thought!

Swing Tommy Mac back, Jones played a great game and deserves to stay. Melksham lazy and at times half hearted efforts needs to earn it back in magoos 

I felt the same at the time but he showed a bit of courage aftyer 1/2 time.

But looking at his metrics, he is a bit taller than tomlinson albeit several Kgs lighter, so maybe he can play that 3 rd tall support to May and Lever if he's up to it?

If he is, he's the future for sure.

9 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

That’s what I took issue with: saying we’ve had the easiest draw thus far. Easy? Yeah, maybe. But surely not easiest. 

Exactly.  Daisy Pearce said this morning On SEN she was just " praying for a 3 - 0 start for once"  or at least a start that wasn't behind the 8 ball early.

7 - 0 was beyond her wildest expectetcions.  You don't get to 7 to Nil in any comp just because its easy. Most say there's no easy games at AFL standard.

Saints and GWS are going to beat pleenty this year. Just not the Dees , being ahead in quality fro once

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Dislike the love for Harmes. Before he got injured he was hardly setting the world on fire..  He plays one game in a non competitive VFL match and posters want him in? 

If anyone watched, compare the games of Sparrow vs Harmes. Sparrow's was a much more well rounded game. Harmesy just doesn't do the basics well enough atm and for that, he shouldn't be rewarded. 

I'd bring Sparrow in for Viney. Get Brayshaw back on a wing. 

Thomo and Baker come out for Petty and Sparrow. 

Give Brown another week to see how he goes on the G. Something to note was the delivery going inside 50 last week. It was awful for the most part which clearly didnt help Brown. I love Trac like the footballing world, but one thing he definitely needs to improve is his delivery inside 50. At his best, his execution and delivery is top shelf. But he regularly overkicks the ball going forward under little pressure. Needs to become more consistently damaging kicking the ball inside 50. Would be the comps best player if he manages that. 

Agree on all points.

I watched all of the Casey game and was underwhelmed by Harmes' performance, as much as anything by his approach to the game. Sure he got his touches and looked a level above. And i get that it was a low standard opposition and low pressure game.

But for mine he lacked intensity, and worse burnt teammates in better positions shooting for goal a couple of times. Which is a really bad look for a senior player wanting to get back into a team that has made selflessness a foundational principal. 

As you suggest he fares very poorly in  any comparison with number 32. Agree he had a more rounded game, but also played with intensity Harmes lacked, was selfless and went full throttle from go to whoa. And whilst the opposition were not much chop I was really impressed with his decision making and execution. I'd be shocked if that performance is not rewarded. 

I think Harmes is limited player. Can be relied on to play his role, which is a real positive, and is fit, but i don't think he is in our best mid rotation. 

I don't think it is a coincidence he plays his best footy when tagging a gun opposition player who takes him to the ball.  And its possible that he might come in tot the team only when there is that sort of role or him

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dr.D said:

Brayshaw's role to the team is being the defensive wingman, which means getting back to help the defence.

I think the switch up on the weekend actually hurt him, as he was playing well in his wing role.

I don't think highlighting one instant where he made a bad decision is really constructive. We could do that to every player and find certain things they did wrong. It only matters what they are doing on a regular basis.

• Like 8

On 5/2/2021 at 4:53 PM, whatwhat say what said:

time to add dr d to the ignore list along with tgr...

Ridiculous isn’t it. First game for a new side, after a knee injury 

Kicked 2, gave 1 away on a small ground

Dr D was a disgrace in the Game Day Thread

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Buddy’s Back

If we didn’t have May I’d be worried. 

The thing I’m more worried about is that Sydney seem to play the wider grounds better than their home of the SCG. Our pressure has to be at elite from the opening bounce, can’t afford a slow start this week. 

24 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Buddy’s Back

Actually think this is great news. We get an opportunity to beat a Bogie side with their best 22 and a legend of the game that's feasted on us in the past, back at the G. And it raises the profile of the match.tenfold.

Hilarious that some TV shows have gone with WB v Carl as a game worth spotlighting. Carlton never elevate themselves, the media have taken the bait on Carlton as a story. Meanwhile the match of the round is going under the radar with the GF rematch also hogging the spotlight. Oh well.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

Actually think this is great news. We get an opportunity to beat a Bogie side with their best 22 and a legend of the game that's feasted on us in the past, back at the G. And it raises the profile of the match.tenfold.

Hilarious that some TV shows have gone with WB v Carl as a game worth spotlighting. Carlton never elevate themselves, the media have taken the bait on Carlton as a story. Meanwhile the match of the round is going under the radar with the GF rematch also hogging the spotlight. Oh well.

It is certainly bonkers. 1v4. Is it on FTA in NSW? Unfussed as I have Kayo now but would seem to be sensible to beam NSWs main team into NSW against the ladder leaders 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pates said:

If we didn’t have May I’d be worried. 

The thing I’m more worried about is that Sydney seem to play the wider grounds better than their home of the SCG. Our pressure has to be at elite from the opening bounce, can’t afford a slow start this week. 

Yes i hope the Coaches have had a look at the Rich v Swans game

Buddy has still got it folks, write him off at your peril. 

last outing in round 5 against the Giants, he kicked 5.0 and took 5 contested marks. 

they are a much better team with him in it

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

It is certainly bonkers. 1v4. Is it on FTA in NSW? Unfussed as I have Kayo now but would seem to be sensible to beam NSWs main team into NSW against the ladder leaders 

What instead of Pawn Stars and Ice Truckers?

• Haha 1