Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 08 vs Sydney

Demonland

2 hours ago, Paulo said:

Did you watch the game, he looked slow, dropped easy marks, hardly got a touch

M Brown one game was alot better v B Brown one game

Speaking of which Paulo, and yes i know one game does not a summer make but...

That one game produced 6 score involvements, 8 effective disposals, 2 goals and he also laid three tackles inside fifty.   The closest to that last one on inside 50 tackle averages so far this season is Kozzie with 1.86 then TMac with 1.43

Let's say Tmac is used to replace Thommo.... should we consider replacing him with a potential multiple goal kicker who might bring similar or better heat inside 50?

Keeping in mind Weid doesn't have the greatest record here in the last few seasons, averaging only 0.38 per game in 2020 and 0.55 in 2019.  Unfortunately as good as he might be at times with the mark/kick side, he just doesn't bring the heat at ground level, or hasn't so far anyway.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, forever demons said:

Looks like a few changes this week Viney,Tomo,possibly Brayshaw all injured.So Melksham will stay in along with Jones.Big chance for Sparrow to come in withe Chandler and Petty (if he is not injured)

Brayshaw injured? What did I miss 

13 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Outs: Tomlinson and Fritsch

Ins: Petty and Weed

T Mac onto the wing and Brayshaw in the guts. 

Must have been seeing things, thought Petty didn't play with Casey last week?  Out injured?

26 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Must have been seeing things, thought Petty didn't play with Casey last week?  Out injured?

Carry over player I’d suggest. They usually hold an extra 1 or 2 players over if the VFL plays before the AFL

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 1

If Fritta says suspended then I think this is Weids chance. 

Weid for Fritta

Petty for Tommo

Sparrow for Baker

Most important thing with having TMac, Weid, and Brown in there together will be making sure they don’t get in each other’s way. Play TMac as a high CHF/HFF, BB as FF, Weid CHF. Melksham might need to move into Fritta’s medium forward pocket role. 

A lot more responsibility on Kozzie, Spargo, and Nibbler to be ready at their feet for the ground ball. 

• Like 3

Weed in for Fristch is a major downgrade. Not because Weed is no good but Fritsch is on fire and offers a point of difference. 

Weed, T Mac, B Brown and LJ is too tall and not mobile enough. Our pressure will suffer 

4 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

As Lesley Neilson would say, "Surely you can't be serious".

Leslie ;) and it was Robert Hays who said that. Leslie's line was 'I am serious... and don't call me Shirley'.

9 hours ago, binman said:

I signed up to the the possibility Brown, Weed, Tmac and Jackson could work idea

But also signed up to the it is unlikely the club would run with it idea.

I would like to formally resign and remove my signature from the Brown, Weed, Tmac and Jackson could work idea.

And 15 minutes into the North game i signed up to the brown and weed must never play in the same team club.

Lets see how Brown goes on the more open spaces of the g - and to be fair it was his first game in a new system after a long lay off (and he did kick 2 goals - and set up a couple more up!) - but I have to say i was a little underwhelmed and i wonder if Weed might not be a better option. He's not the most mobile of cats is he.

See, I think you're right that they probably wouldn't have tried Brown, Weid, Tmac and Jackson all forward in one go, but now that Fritsch is out, I think they will and it's an excellent time to try it and see if we can stretch the Sydney defence. We need more frontal pressure across half forward, ANB and Spargo need to lift. 

I'd bring Petty in for Tomlinson, Weideman for Fritsch, Sparrow for Baker and Harmes for Jones.

I'd look at Harmes tagging Kennedy and playing a really defensive run with role all night on him.

I'd expect Gawn to push back into defence more like he did prior to the North game, particularly with Buddy likely to return. 

For the record, I think we're very likely to lose our next two games. If not, we have to ramp up the intensity next week. It needs to be at the level it was against Richmond. 

Pickett, ANB, Spargo, Sparrow, Jordon are our pressure forwards and Pickett, Sparrow and Jordon should add to the midfield rotation too. Then there's Harmes, who at his best could kick goals on Kennedy and force him to defend outside of stoppage, to go with Oliver and Petracca. Melksham will keep his spot and play both high half forward as a connector and rotate deep forward.

If Buddy plays, I'd use May on him. If he doesn't, it gives us an option for Papley if Hibberd doesn't work.

I'd set our forwardline up like this:

Pickett Brown Jackson

Spargo Weideman McDonald

With Melksham, ANB, Sparrow and Jordon as those guys off the edge of the square. Jackson and Kozzy at ground level next to Brown could be very dangerous deep for us.

If we bring our work rate like the first few rounds we'll be a handful. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Weed in for Fristch is a major downgrade. Not because Weed is no good but Fritsch is on fire and offers a point of difference. 

Weed, T Mac, B Brown and LJ is too tall and not mobile enough. Our pressure will suffer 

You can't play all four up forward.  Tmac will have to go back surely

6 minutes ago, DubDee said:

I don’t disagree with your point, the other person I would consider bringing in would be Harmes. I frankly think his last 12-18 months have been useless but he’s decent overhead and lay down the challenge to him to get a certain amount of inside 50 tackles and provide a good option. 

• Like 1

Given no Viney i'd be keen to see the inside midfield minutes split between Jones and Jordan (Nathan Jones staying in) and Brayshaw staying on the wing. 

with Fritsch out i'd probably err towards replacing him with a small, given we've already got McDonald, Jackson, Brown. so Chandler, Sparrow, Harmes or Bedford to play a forward role. 

for me the replacement for Tommlinson can only be Petty or Weideman, and the only way Weideman can come in, is if McDonald goes back. 

• Like 1

IN: Harmes, Weideman 

OUT: Baker (omit), Fritsch (susp), Tomlinson (inj)

FB: Lever, May, Salem

HB: Hunt, McDonald, Hibberd

C: Brayshaw, Petracca, Langdon

HF: Neal-Bullen, Weideman, Spargo

FF: Melksham, B. Brown, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Oliver, Harmes

INT: Jackson, Jones, Jordon, Rivers

SUB: Sparrow

Tommy Mc to defence and Weideman to go forward. Melksham gets a chance at Fritsch's mid sized forward role and Jones gets to hold a spot while we're winning. Also Harmes comes in for Baker as a more suitable replacement for Viney.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Given no Viney i'd be keen to see the inside midfield minutes split between Jones and Jordan (Nathan Jones staying in) and Brayshaw staying on the wing. 

Perfect time to unleash the pitbull Tommy Sparrow into the midfield at AFL level...  Jones can stay in his current role.

Agreed with leaving Brayshaw on a wing.

• Like 1

IF Fritsch gets off:

Out: Tomlinson, Baker
In: Sparrow, Chandler

Tommy Mc plays back. Brown/Fritsch/Jackson forward line.

If Fritsch suspension is upheld/unchallenged:

Out: Tomlinson, Baker, Fritsch
In: Petty, Sparrow, Chandler

FB: Hibberd  May  Tommy/Petty
HB: Hunt  Lever  Salem
C; Langers Petracca Gus
HF: Spargo  Jackson  ANB
FF:  Pickett  Brown  Fritsch/Tommy
Foll: Gawn  Oliver JJ
Int: Rivers, Sparrow, Chandler, Melksham

29 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

IF Fritsch gets off:

Out: Tomlinson, Baker
In: Sparrow, Chandler

Tommy Mc plays back. Brown/Fritsch/Jackson forward line.

If Fritsch suspension is upheld/unchallenged:

Out: Tomlinson, Baker, Fritsch
In: Petty, Sparrow, Chandler

FB: Hibberd  May  Tommy/Petty
HB: Hunt  Lever  Salem
C; Langers Petracca Gus
HF: Spargo  Jackson  ANB
FF:  Pickett  Brown  Fritsch/Tommy
Foll: Gawn  Oliver JJ
Int: Rivers, Sparrow, Chandler, Melksham

I like your line up Dee Spencer. I think I would be happy with Petty down back and Tommy in the forward pocket and occasionally switching with Jackson at CHF or on the HFF.  I would like to see Rivers Sparrow and Chandler getting lots of game time. 

Edited by Demons3031

9 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

The midfield just weren’t winning the ball but at the same time a smaller forward line pressuring to lock the ball in and spreading to move the ball provides cover for the mids and backs.

The forward line with one less tall in the second half moved the ball and locked it forward more efficiently.

Obviously North tired pretty badly but we went from giving up 9 goals in the first half to just 2 goals after half time. Keeping that pressure on has to be our first priority. 

It was pretty clear to me that it was a major midfield problem (work rate and intensity) and our smalls like ANB and Spargo weren't bringing enough frontal pressure either. Brown's ground level pressure was reasonable.

Rampe and Buddy in the Swans. 

viney, Tommo and Fristch out for us

this will be a very tough game. Someone has to bring Vineys intensity in the middle (sadly missing yesterday) and someone needs to make up for Fritsch’s 3 goals per game. Also Petty needs to hold his own down back 

1 minute ago, A F said:

It was pretty clear to me that it was a major midfield problem (work rate and intensity) and our smalls like ANB and Spargo weren't bringing enough frontal pressure either. Brown's ground level pressure was reasonable.

I thought he was a mixed bag, but Tommy was completely out of the game and we didn't move the ball from half back or hold possession by moving it around either. I don't think we need Fritsch, the ruck and 2 talls. At least until Brown is settled in the side and we can evaluate what he brings and his team mates learn to play with him I'd rather lean on the side of going smaller. He's got a big tank, he can come up the ground more, or lead over the back more like Fritsch does. The speed with which we spread when attacking makes hitting targets and far easier and opens room for our mids to run through. Going smaller isn't all just about defensive work rate, it's in attack as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Rampe and Buddy in the Swans. 

viney, Tommo and Fristch out for us

this will be a very tough game. Someone has to bring Vineys intensity in the middle (sadly missing yesterday) and someone needs to make up for Fritsch’s 3 goals per game. Also Petty needs to hold his own down back 

The Swans also well and truely have the quality to match us in the middle. we need Gawn and Jackson to run Hickey off his feet. i'd almost favor Gawn working on getting back and helping the defence as much as possible rather than getting forward. 

Rampe is a good player but with Fritsch out i'm not sure we have a great match up for him, he probably doesn't have the height for Brown or McDonald, or the wheels for Kozzie. 

• Like 1