Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 07 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

Coaches Votes

10 Bayley Fritsch (MELB)

8 Ben Cunnington (NMFC)

3 Aaron Hall (NMFC)

3 Christian Salem (MELB)

3 Christian Petracca (MELB)

2 Kysaiah Pickett (MELB)

1 Luke Jackson (MELB)

Great to see our young guns Pickett and Jackson amongst the votes

Coach Split

5/5 Fritsch

4/4 Cunnington

3/0 or 0/3 or 2/1 for Hall or Salem or Petracca

2/0 Pickett

1/0 Jackson

Again coaches agree on top 2 or 3.

Leader Board

David Mundy

FRE

Max Gawn

MELB

Hugh McCluggage

BL

Ollie Wines

PORT

Jack Macrae

WB

Christian Salem

MELB

Samuel Walsh

CARL

Touk Miller

GCFC

Christian Petracca

MELB

Taylor Walker

ADEL

Clayton Oliver

MELB

Tom Hickey

SYD

Jaeger O'Meara

HAW

Toby Greene

GWS

Jacob Hopper

GWS

Unless his form drops off, Salem has to be in AA contention - the only AFL defender on that list.  But the 'selectors' tend to select their favourite midfielders and put them in AA positions they rarely if ever play in.

He would be right up there with a chance to win the Bluey this year. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

The 'bye' really tested us this week and we were a bit lucky to get away with 4 points.

I am sceptical about Ben Brown and his role. I think Brown needs to average 3.5 goals a game to justify his inclusion. He should find more space on the MCG, but he needs to get on his bike and be more mobile.

The inclusion of Baker was strange and I would have 10 in front of him.

Jackson and Pickett were awesome and we have really nailed those picks.

Petracca's set shots are a concern. 

Fritsch was exceptional.

North were much better in the first half in the contest and we were lucky we were efficient with our entries. (We only had to win either the contest or be efficient to beat them.)

Bbbs first game for the year. Will be great. Enjoy.

12 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Coaches Votes

10 Bayley Fritsch (MELB)

8 Ben Cunnington (NMFC)

3 Aaron Hall (NMFC)

3 Christian Salem (MELB)

3 Christian Petracca (MELB)

2 Kysaiah Pickett (MELB)

1 Luke Jackson (MELB)

Great to see our young guns Pickett and Jackson amongst the votes

Coach Split

5/5 Fritsch

4/4 Cunnington

3/0 or 0/3 or 2/1 for Hall or Salem or Petracca

2/0 Pickett

1/0 Jackson

Again coaches agree on top 2 or 3.

Leader Board

David Mundy

FRE

Max Gawn

MELB

Hugh McCluggage

BL

Ollie Wines

PORT

Jack Macrae

WB

Christian Salem

MELB

Samuel Walsh

CARL

Touk Miller

GCFC

Christian Petracca

MELB

Taylor Walker

ADEL

Clayton Oliver

MELB

Tom Hickey

SYD

Jaeger O'Meara

HAW

Toby Greene

GWS

Jacob Hopper

GWS

Unless his form drops off, Salem has to be in AA contention - the only AFL defender on that list.  But the 'selectors' tend to select their favourite midfielders and put them in AA positions they rarely if ever play in.

He would be right up there with a chance to win the Bluey this year. 

Trac in the votes again... thats  6 weeks in a row.    And to think it felt like he had a down day , guess we (or I) just expect too much from him.

Also is this the first game of the year where the opposition has had more than one player in the votes against us?

3 minutes ago, RigidMiddleDigit said:

Heard from Roos fan today complaining about a crucial umpiring error mentioned on radio.

Anyone know what he’s talking about?

(I mean crucial when the margin is 5 goals. Really?)

Hmmm...just a guess. Currently watching the last quarter. The May push on Larkey that wasn’t paid with about 10 mins left. Scores were 79-73 and we went straight up the other end for a goal. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dee Zephyr said:

Hmmm...just a guess. Currently watching the last quarter. The May push on Larkey that wasn’t paid with about 10 mins left. Scores were 79-73 and we went straight up the other end for a goal. 

That should have been a free kick. We got a lucky break.

As you say it went straight up the other end for an easy goal and game over.

Given we seemed to be in total control and they were out on their feet it is crazy to think we were only 6 points up with 9 odd minutes to go - and it could have well been level if the free had been paid!

Crazy that Petracca got coaches votes. Thought it was his most average game in a long time. From the TV looked like he was starting next to Cunnington too and then nowhere near him. Until Jordon seemed to go to him late? I could be wrong, bound to happen once. 

Oliver had more impact I thought, and Goldstein nullified Max. 

What do coaches know. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, FarNorthernD said:

North have now played 4 of the top 5 sides - Geelong, Port, Western Bulldogs and Us - plus Adelaide when they were good and Freo at Freo and Suns on the Gold Coast. They are probably a way better side than they are being credit for and must be more than a sneaky chance to roll the Pies next week. And how good would that be!

Yep, agree.

They've also been building some reasonable form, at least in the context of being an injury hit bottom 4 side.

They were a disgrace in the opening three rounds. Since then they were leading Adelaide at three quarter time (back when Adelaide were half decent), they were only two goals behind Geelong deep into time on in the third quarter at Kardinia Park (the same ground where West Coast the following week lost by 97), and they stayed in touch with Fremantle for 2.5 quarters in Perth.They surely have to be half a chance of getting up this Saturday.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

So he needs to kick more goals than any forward since Kennedy in 2016 (80 goals) to be best 22?  Pretty high bar to set mate. 

The value in any key forward is the goals they create as much as the goals they kick. All he needs to do is bring the ball to ground, kick his 2-3 each week, and not be a complete liability defensively.

On another note, pretty sure Fritsch is only the 3rd Demon since Neitz to kick 6 in a game (after Hogan and TMac). Sheesh.

3 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

Here is the issue though. He is a complete defensive liability. 

@Fat Tony setting the bar at 3.5 goals is silly.

I accept your concern about his defensive pressure, and it's a fair one. But is he a "complete defensive liability"?

Over his career he averages 8 pressure acts per game. Josh Kennedy averages 8.1. Buddy Franklin averages 7.8. Other forwards:

1. Harry Mackay - 7.4
  2. Hawkins - 7.6
  3. Riewoldt - 9.4
  4. Taylor Walker - 9.6
  5. Naughton - 9.8
  6. Tom Lynch - 10.8

If tackles inside 50 is more your thing, Brown averages 0.6 per game. Naughton is 0.5, Lynch 0.7, Mackay 0.8, Walker 0.9, Hawkins 1.1, Riewoldt 1.1, Franklin 1.2, Kennedy 1.2.

Those figures are all pretty tight - are we that phased with half a tackle less per game? Are Mackay and Hawkins "complete defensive liabilities" because they average fewer pressure acts than Brown?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deestroy All said:

Crazy that Petracca got coaches votes. Thought it was his most average game in a long time. From the TV looked like he was starting next to Cunnington too and then nowhere near him. Until Jordon seemed to go to him late? I could be wrong, bound to happen once. 

Oliver had more impact I thought, and Goldstein nullified Max. 

What do coaches know. 

I had Trac ahead of Oliver in my D’land votes. So me, Goody and Nobes are on the same page, you nuffies can please yourselves.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I accept your concern about his defensive pressure, and it's a fair one. But is he a "complete defensive liability"?

Summed it up well, good post.

He gets judged harshly because he looks so damn ungainly, but his defensive efforts are actually pretty good for a bloke that's 2m tall. His tackle on Ziebell to create a Fritsch goal during the third quarter was a case in point. 

It's obviously never going to be a strength of BB's, but there haven't been too many top 4 sides without a tall bloke at FF with defensive limitations. 

• Like 1

I listen to the first half on the radio whilst driving and am just watching the replay. It [censored] me on the radio when Malthouse said “oh Pickett started in the middle, they are getting ahead of themselves, stick to the plan..” and now just hearing baldilocks Healy say exactly the same thing, they haven’t watched a Dees game all season clearly. [censored] ers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

I listen to the first half on the radio whilst driving and am just watching the replay. It [censored] me on the radio when Malthouse said “oh Pickett started in the middle, they are getting ahead of themselves, stick to the plan..” and now just hearing baldilocks Healy say exactly the same thing, they haven’t watched a Dees game all season clearly. [censored] ers.

They are hopeless.  Pickett literally started the season in the middle, the very first bounce of round 1 and they think we just started it in round 7.  Hopeless.

• Like 3

For the majority of the game (60%-65%?) we were 2nd to the ball (or played from behind) so thus the opposition were able to win the ball too easily whilst we gave away numerous free kicks.  At times we looked quite clumsy

So we were lazy whilst the other mob came to play.  A let down from the great win against the Tigers but we took too long to get going

I reckon if we were playing against a better team we would have played better

In the end our class shone out but we certainly made hard work of it

Better to blast the other team out of the water and then spend the rest of the match working on different plans of attack ... that's what the great teams do

Bank the points but learn from it

Edited by Macca
Grammar
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Pickett has started in the middle every week since round 1 Malthouse you nuffie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

@Fat Tony setting the bar at 3.5 goals is silly.

Over his career he averages 8 pressure acts per game. Josh Kennedy averages 8.1. Buddy Franklin averages 7.8. Other forwards:

1. Harry Mackay - 7.4
  2. Hawkins - 7.6
  3. Riewoldt - 9.4
  4. Taylor Walker - 9.6
  5. Naughton - 9.8
  6. Tom Lynch - 10.8

If tackles inside 50 is more your thing, Brown averages 0.6 per game. Naughton is 0.5, Lynch 0.7, Mackay 0.8, Walker 0.9, Hawkins 1.1, Riewoldt 1.1, Franklin 1.2, Kennedy 1.2.

Those figures are all pretty tight - are we that phased with half a tackle less per game? Are Mackay and Hawkins "complete defensive liabilities" because they average fewer pressure acts than Brown?

I think Brown is one of the worst pressure players in the competition. He was definitely a complete liability yesterday. 

The last four premiers had key forwards which were excellent in terms of pressure. 

The fact that Buddy has the same number of pressure acts as Brown amazes me and probably says that the stat perfect. 

It’s only one game and we need to give Brown another chance on the MCG but I think Weideman is likely to be a much better rounded option. In fact we might be better off with neither of them in the side. 

37 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

They called Jayden Hunt Josh Hunt ?
Main reason I go to games whenever I can... so I don’t have to listen to the [censored] commentary teams 

• Like 3

Seeing the game day thread I’m shocked at what I’m seeing compared to that lunacy. Yes we were off but wowee North were really good.

Goldy was at his best, Halls best ever game, Powell going to be a very good player, Simpkin well on top, Cunnington is criminally underrated, Walker his best half of footy ever. North’s pressure was really good. 

May was poor, Tomlinson really threw us off. 

Brown’s first game, Baker first game. 

Edited by Cards13
  • Like 2

I am shocked that BBB is getting stick on this thread.

First game at a new club. First senior game after an injury lay off. Has to fit into a forward line that has been playing together 6 weeks. Had generally poor delivery.

FMD!! I was very happy with his performance. The guy is a proven KPF for [censored] sake and will only get better.

Edited by Bitter but optimistic
Typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I am shocked that BBB is getting stick on this thread.

First game at a new club. First senior game after an injury lay off. Has to fit into a forward line that has been playing together 6 weeks. Had generally poor delivery.

FMD!! I was very happy with his performance. The is a proven KPF for [censored] sake and will only get better.

Fritta 4th goal, direct result of BBB pressure. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, AmDamDemon said:

Exactly. Cracking tackle which allowed Fritta to run on to it. Worth his weight in gold for giving our second and third fowards more freedom. Will start clunking marks soon enough.

Not saying he was anything other than a pass mark but the “bin Brown” comments are ridiculous, and I’m looking at you Deebrief. 

• Like 3

On 5/3/2021 at 10:24 PM, Cards13 said:

Not saying he was anything other than a pass mark but the “bin Brown” comments are ridiculous, and I’m looking at you Deebrief. 

I could not believe how negative this week's Deebrief was. I had to check the ladder to make sure we were not 0-7.

Talking about podcasts, on Gus and Gawny this week Maxy mentioned that we flew down on the day for Sunday's game, and he did not like it for a 1.10 game. Surely the AFL should be allowing teams travelling interstate for a 1.10 to go the day before, regardless of the travel time. 

3 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

I could not believe how negative this week's Deebrief was. I had to check the ladder to make sure we were not 0-7.

Talking about podcasts, on Gus and Gawny this week Maxy mentioned that we flew down on the day for Sunday's game, and he did not like it for a 1.10 game. Surely the AFL should be allowing teams travelling interstate for a 1.10 to go the day before, regardless of the travel time. 

I generally enjoy the Dbrief, it’s funny how much MFC content I consume when we’re winning (deeluded get some great guests on) but the Brown bagging was a little silly for mine. 

I think it is tough cheddar for teams during covid, the AFL just needs them to play and North were on the same flight down… 

On 5/3/2021 at 8:54 PM, Jaded said:

They called Jayden Hunt Josh Hunt ?
Main reason I go to games whenever I can... so I don’t have to listen to the [censored] commentary teams 

You're still bound to hear idiotic comments, but can take solace that those making them are not being paid for doing so.