Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 07 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

21 hours ago, adonski said:

They're building up to the announcement... 

Not sure on answer to TMAC/Brown/Weids question for this week, but... 

I have always loved watching Ben Brown play. He reminds me of the joy of playing footy as a junior. I love his ridiculous run up because you can see the 20 something years of learned processes going into it, each time.

This clip has me excited to see him on the G, clunking marks and kicking bags for the Dees. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 58er said:

Just feels it sends the wrong message to young players when playing well.

Melksham is the elephant still but it's hard work fir BBB and Weid as Tmac Snd LJ are performing a pivotal role as well as a team first role and no way should this be tampered with.

Strange combo Tommy marks at  a high Level as his long arms are straight up and Jacko has those ground skills plus improvement in marking potential  now as a forward.

Then where do we start with his ruck role priceless for the Gawn effect all over the ground!!!

Agree Melksham could be squeezed out. It’s a tough problem but also a very nice problem to have. Who to leave out?  Shows we are on song all over the field. 

Agree with Milkshakes for BB.  But also not against no change.

I think "resting" Jones isn't a great optic and will have everyone saying we gifted him games which isn't true.

But if anyone is sore or under 85%, (no one plays at 100%) then sure give them a rest!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, kev martin said:

North will be stressed from the lock up. They really are at rock bottom and being all locked up together may start a bit of a line in the sand discussion and develop some cohesion and selflessness. 

Saw an interview, where a North player talked from his home. The lock-up is at their own home. So, less time for them to bond and the restrictions of isolation remain difficult for them. 

Edited by kev martin

3 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

I really don’t get the negative vibes towards Spargo. 

People just look at his stats and maybe even his leg speed and think he's not good enough. His pressure acts, 1%ers, tackles and disposal are elite.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, kev martin said:

Saw an interview, where a North player talked from his home. The lock-up is at their own home.

Foxsport is suggesting that the lockup period may finish on Wednesday for North.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2021-north-melbourne-round-7-covid19-fixture-news-tasmania-north-melbourne-vs-melbourne/news-story/88c0eee6696bbdc79ab555f0b1d9fba4

It also says all teams will travel on Charted flights. 

So it a good possibility that we share a flight with them down to Tassie.

Hope none of North players have covid!

Just being silly, in AFL management I have trust in their decisions!  

Edited by kev martin
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, A F said:

People just look at his stats and maybe even his leg speed and think he's not good enough. His pressure acts, 1%ers, tackles and disposal are elite.

Do you really reckon people look at the stats and don’t watch the game? I have never met one single person that does that. 

My only argument though is that I think that no matter how good a player’s pressure is, there has to be some minimum number of touches of the ball somewhere, doesn’t there? Would we still be happy if it said 0? 

I know it’s an unpopular opinion, it’s because I watched on TV, only stat watch, don’t know anything about footy etc, but I reckon the value of his game is being overplayed. It’s a moot point anyway because Melksham and possibly Jones are closer to the chopping block, and we don’t need to make any more than one change.

19 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Do you really reckon people look at the stats and don’t watch the game? I have never met one single person that does that. 

My only argument though is that I think that no matter how good a player’s pressure is, there has to be some minimum number of touches of the ball somewhere, doesn’t there? Would we still be happy if it said 0? 

I know it’s an unpopular opinion, it’s because I watched on TV, only stat watch, don’t know anything about footy etc, but I reckon the value of his game is being overplayed. It’s a moot point anyway because Melksham and possibly Jones are closer to the chopping block, and we don’t need to make any more than one change.

Fair enough. Didn't mean to imply you don't watch the game closely mate. We all watch it differently anyway.

I'm particularly triggered by the Spargo selection conversation as I'm constantly defending him within my family. :P

29 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Foxsport is suggesting that the lockup period may finish on Wednesday for North.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2021-north-melbourne-round-7-covid19-fixture-news-tasmania-north-melbourne-vs-melbourne/news-story/88c0eee6696bbdc79ab555f0b1d9fba4

It also says all teams will travel on Charted flights. 

So it a good possibility that we share a flight with them down to Tassie.

Hope none of North players have covid!

Just being silly, in AFL management I have trust in their decisions!  

That's a legit possibility. Haven't multiple people initially tested asymptomatically and later been found to have contracted it? Isn't that what happened to the guy that caused the Perth lockdown?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nasher said:

You may be right about the 'overplayed' bit. I think a lot of us fans recognize some of his contributions as things we have been wanting from players for a long time - Pressure, running both ways, tackling, shepherding, quality delivery inside 50 - so maybe his game overall gets 'overplayed' by some due to that. I don't think anyone is saying he's a gun or in rare form or anything though are they?

I would disagree though that given Goody's comments on him, our game style and our improved forward structure and efficiency (all of which Spargo really seems to have bought in to), that Charlie is in line (with others) to potentially be dropped this week.

And I disagree that for his role there would be any kind of numerical KPI around possessions.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SPC said:

Has there been a training session since the game? Keen to know if we have a fit list. 

No, the boys had a couple of days off as given to them by the club.

First training run tomorrow. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, A F said:

That's a legit possibility. Haven't multiple people initially tested asymptomatically and later been found to have contracted it? Isn't that what happened to the guy that caused the Perth lockdown?

The days when tested, infected and contagious are all different.  Easy to fall between the gaps as the guy from Perth who picked it up in the hotel showed.

I assume the medical science people are onto that and wouldn't put the community or the AFL at any risk.

Edited by kev martin

9 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

You may be right about the 'overplayed' bit. I think a lot of us fans recognize some of his contributions as things we have been wanting from players for a long time - Pressure, running both ways, tackling, shepherding, quality delivery inside 50 - so maybe his game overall gets 'overplayed' by some due to that. I don't think anyone is saying he's a gun or in rare form or anything though are they?

I would disagree though that given Goody's comments on him, our game style and our improved forward structure and efficiency (all of which Spargo really seems to have bought in to), that Charlie is in line (with others) to potentially be dropped this week.

And I disagree that for his role there would be any kind of numerical KPI around possessions.

I think it's just black and white language that gets used that probably makes these conversations go around in circles. Of course nobody says he's a gun or in rare form - in the same way that there I am not (intentionally) giving off a "negative vibe" about Spargo, which is the accusation that started this conversation. There's no doubt in my mind he contributes something good to the team. We had no bad or negative players on the weekend.

The bottom line is though that someone is very likely to make way for Brown. Having Brown in makes us a better side, nobody seems to be disputing that. Nobody played badly, so someone who played well has to make way. It might not (probably won't) be Spargo, but as the player who was the least involved in the play, by quite some margin, surely it's not as incredulous a proposition as everyone makes it out to be to have him in the conversation.

Look, I'm clearly on my own on this one and that's fine. I understand what attracts people to the game he's playing - it fits the "selfless" ethos the club has been talking about non-stop. I love what he brings to the side. I'm just surprised people don't think getting the ball is important. If you'd be happy with Spargo having a zero possession game, great. I wouldn't be.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TRIGON said:

Weather is also a factor. Hobart's Sunday forecast is for a high of 20, low of 12, isolated thunderstorms, breaks of sun late.

MFCSS kicks in...could B. Brown become a lightening rod?

image.png.187a8369adfb45f672b3c4eb720f4f2e.png

You wouldn't get a better day in May down here for footy.

Edited by BigFez
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Agree. His kpis would all relate to pressure.

And perhaps distance covered and pressure in our defence (like his terrific tackle in their forward pocket early in the game that saved a likely scoring shot).

And perhaps less a kpi, more and expectation, for him to maintain his elite disposal efficiency, which is up around where salam's is at 80%

• Like 1

Spargo has  low possessions but they are more likely to have strong impact he is a  medium  pressure act, medium to high ground coverage player. He is also the third banana in our pressure forward line which is a critical factor in our 6-0 start.There is no any we mess with our 3 pressure forward set up to bring in Brown or Weid. In fact I would argue they are likely to add a fourth banana in Chandler or Bedford to counter balance playing the extra tall.  

13 hours ago, AmDamDemon said:

I have always loved watching Ben Brown play. He reminds me of the joy of playing footy as a junior. I love his ridiculous run up because you can see the 20 something years of learned processes going into it, each time.

This clip has me excited to see him on the G, clunking marks and kicking bags for the Dees. 

I am amazed by his reach - his reach is very long (in the arms), rather than height off the ground, although he can take off when needed. Apparently, Daw has an even longer reach with opposition players having considerable difficulty spoiling his maring efforts - that is, if they do not 'chop' his arms, which is illegal. With the now-improved 'feeder' clusters in this current MFC team, BBrown is going to have a field day on the lead and in the air.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AmDamDemon said:

Agree.  BBB at his top is an absolute gun and I have little doubt he would make our side better.  He's had 2.5 full games under his belt now, so should be cherry ripe, match fit. 

I know we don't want to mess with form, interupt a winning side, underrate our opposition etc, but I also don't think we will have a better oppertunity to introduce him into the team than the run of teams we have over the next four weeks.  Wouldn't be ideal to be finding his feet in the Bulldogs game.

We didn't pick him up to be kicking bags of goals for Casey, so I say get him in.

I really do struggle a bit to know who to drop for him though.  Perhaps if we have someone playing with an injury which could do with some rest, this could be the perfect oppertunity to manage them, to help us sustain a healthy, fit list throught the whole season.  It's the kind of luxury that being 6 - 0 affords, so I really think we need to take advantage of that.  Now that we've got off to such a great start, I do have a niggling fear that we are peaking too early and could fall in a heap come the pointy end of the season - how's that for a new take on MFCSS that I never saw comming!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Great news! Usually the winds are more like 100kms!

Yep much more likely to be W/SW 30-40km/h.

No doubt every bit of that wind will find its way into Blundstone Arena though.

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

I think it's just black and white language that gets used that probably makes these conversations go around in circles. Of course nobody says he's a gun or in rare form - in the same way that there I am not (intentionally) giving off a "negative vibe" about Spargo, which is the accusation that started this conversation. There's no doubt in my mind he contributes something good to the team. We had no bad or negative players on the weekend.

The bottom line is though that someone is very likely to make way for Brown. Having Brown in makes us a better side, nobody seems to be disputing that. Nobody played badly, so someone who played well has to make way. It might not (probably won't) be Spargo, but as the player who was the least involved in the play, by quite some margin, surely it's not as incredulous a proposition as everyone makes it out to be to have him in the conversation.

Look, I'm clearly on my own on this one and that's fine. I understand what attracts people to the game he's playing - it fits the "selfless" ethos the club has been talking about non-stop. I love what he brings to the side. I'm just surprised people don't think getting the ball is important. If you'd be happy with Spargo having a zero possession game, great. I wouldn't be.

I agree in some respects. You’d reckon if he keeps up this pressure then eventually the goals and touches will come. The coaches would be working with him to improve in these areas no doubt imo  

the problem with his game at the moment is if his pressure game drops a little he losses his value and would be dropped so he needs to add more to his game. I reckon he’ll kick a few mini bags in the next 4 weeks

also the stats can be misleading. He is down for only 3 tackles and one score involvement. I saw him tackle a lot more than that. And some tackles led directly to goals. 

keep it up Charles.
Chandler and Bedford are knocking the door down!