• Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

• Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trade a bloke who has rediscovered his best form? Have you been kicked off Facebook and need the attention?

Just thinking, we have a riches of big men, and with. Toms form being excellent, teams would now be frothing to get him on their list, are we able to trade him out, and pick up a player that fills a n

The mid-season draft is just that, a draft. Not a trade period...

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

Hopefully we get a very, very late pick.

we get two picks due to our LTIs to hore and nietschke

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Turner said:

we get two picks due to our LTIs to hore and nietschke

Yes we do. Does anyone have a phantom draft to this?

• Demonland changed the title to Mid Season Draft

I reckon we could use another ruckman to be honest, so one of those spots i'd be having a look at some ruck depth. 

Wouldn't mind GA jr slotting into the side to help our run into finals, won't happen but would be good to watch. 

• Like 1

With Joel Smith & Marty Hore both out with long term injuries as well as no obvious replacement for Bailey Fritsch available last week, our lack of depth at the moment seems to be in mid sized players. Those 186-190cm types who can are good in the air, but also good at ground level and are ideal 3rd tall options.

Ideally we need someone who can play either end and can slot into our system seamlessly, whichis why I would nominate Mitch White at Casey.

He's only 25, spent three years on our list previously, can play at either end and is about 188cm tall. Given he captain's Casey, we should be able to delist him at seasons end without issue also. My thoughts anyway.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

With Joel Smith & Marty Hore both out with long term injuries as well as no obvious replacement for Bailey Fritsch available last week, our lack of depth at the moment seems to be in mid sized players. Those 186-190cm types who can are good in the air, but also good at ground level and are ideal 3rd tall options.

Ideally we need someone who can play either end and can slot into our system seamlessly, whichis why I would nominate Mitch White at Casey.

He's only 25, spent three years on our list previously, can play at either end and is about 188cm tall. Given he captain's Casey, we should be able to delist him at seasons end without issue also. My thoughts anyway.

At our stage of list development, I view it slightly different.

I believe that our management/coaching staff view our list as "in the window" for a flag tilt.

As such, I think the mid season draft will be used to pick up a player who they think may be a future star, not a current day fill-in. Fill-ins probably wont be of use to us this year.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, faultydet said:

At our stage of list development, I view it slightly different.

I believe that our management/coaching staff view our list as "in the window" for a flag tilt.

As such, I think the mid season draft will be used to pick up a player who they think may be a future star, not a current day fill-in. Fill-ins probably wont be of use to us this year.

Yes. We seem to be very well placed to try to pick up a rare hidden gem or two for the future. 

The thing that we shouldn’t forget is that at this point in time we don’t have a first round pick for the National Draft and, based on the way we’re traveling at the moment, our first selection is therefore going to be somewhere in the late 30s. Given that so much potential talent was left without exposure to games of footy last year because of Covid19, you never know what could emerge over the next month or two to help with our overall recruiting going forward. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Mister Ed said:

How are the mid season draft picks determined and where will Melbourne’s selection(s) be placed?

2021 Ladder position at the time of the draft. So our pick will be late

7 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

2021 Ladder position at the time of the draft. So our pick will be late

Yes, it depends on the club’s position at the time of the mid season draft which I believe is slated for 2 June, 2021 i.e after Round 11 so there’s a lot of water still to flow under that bridge. However, there’s another factor and that is that the club must have a vacancy on its list after the 2020 drafts and the supplemental selections in March as well as long term injuries to players.

At the end of the draft period, Melbourne had two list vacancies which it filled with two supplemental selections in Majak Daw and Deakyn Smith. However, a further two potential list spots were opened in the pre season period with ACL’s to Marty Hore and the unlucky Aaron Nietschke. We don’t have to exercise the picks but have the right to do so. I read recently that a number of clubs don’t have vacancies and at this stage, it’s unlikely that Carlton, Fremantle, Geelong, GWS Giants, Richmond, West Coast and Western Bulldogs will participate but that could change depending on the situation with injuries. I suppose that the salary cap might affect whether clubs decide to use the MSD.

My guesstimate as to the positions if the draft was held today is as follows (but note that ladder positions will change over the next five rounds):-

1. North Melbourne

2. Collingwood

3. St. Kilda

4. Hawthorn

5. Essendon

6. Gold Coast

7. Adelaide

8. Brisbane

9. Sydney

10. Port Adelaide

11. Melbourne

12. North Melbourne

13. Collingwood

14. St. Kilda

15. Gold Coast

16. Adelaide

17. Melbourne

18. North Melbourne

19. St. Kilda

20. Gold Coast

21. St. Kilda

22. Gold Coast

I’ve already mentioned that I would like to see the club avail itself of a pick but more to select a player with an eye for the future because it’s likely that we won’t be participating in the early part of the November national draft. Given the disruption to play in 2020, there are going to be some rare hidden gems that have been kept under the radar and if we get it right, we could achieve some big bonuses for the future.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Timely discussion because today’s Herald Sun discusses the needs of the various clubs and what it means in terms of the upcoming mid season draft.

For Melbourne -

MELBOURNE 

THE Demons are tracking to have two of the last picks in the mid-season draft, however , there is every chance they don’t use both. 

Season-ending knee injuries to Marty Hore and Aaron Nietschke have opened up the list spots, despite the Demons listing Majak Daw and Deakyn Smith in the preseason . 

Coach Simon Goodwin’s game plan is based on chasing , tackling and harassing, with the Demons ranked No.1 in the AFL for pressure. 

Who is the best matureage pressure player who could walk into this premiership contender? Another small forward to sit in behind Kysaiah Pickett, Charlie Spargo and Alex Neal-Bullen would not be the worst result. 

Werribee wingman Kye Declase is a player they’ve followed this year.”

They have a caption showing the main prospects (below)

48019B84-EE72-48EC-B2E1-E41B87FA6DE0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Isn’t Raak only eligible for the national draft at the end of the year, and part of Footscray’s next gen academy?

Unlike Ugle-Hagan they’re likely to miss out on him as he will be nominated in the top 20, which will mean they can’t claim him

Interesting to see Freeman starring in the VFL so far this season; sliding doors moment where if we’d taken him rather than Salem...

Taylor was a big fan of his in his draft year

Farmer kicked 3 in the Colts last weekend with 16 touches....

DeClase 25 and 18 and a goal. 

Raak seems to be an overager? 

And yes Freeman is the other really interesting one. Clearly talented enough, it was always about his body. I wonder if someone takes the punt and see if he can still make it? 

14 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

Isn’t Raak only eligible for the national draft at the end of the year, and part of Footscray’s next gen academy?

Unlike Ugle-Hagan they’re likely to miss out on him as he will be nominated in the top 20, which will mean they can’t claim him

Interesting to see Freeman starring in the VFL so far this season; sliding doors moment where if we’d taken him rather than Salem...

Taylor was a big fan of his in his draft year

There is no chance in my opinion that Raak goes in the top 20 or anywhere near it.  His stats are wildly inflated by kick-in duties and chips around the back half.  If you watched the first quarter of his last Jets game, you would write him off as a player and ditto pretty much for his VFL debut.   Fumbles under pressure and not that good a kick and may not even be able defend well eough one-on-one.  That said, it only takes one club to fall in love with a player.   

• Like 2
1 minute ago, goodoil said:

There is no chance in my opinion that Raak goes in the top 20 or anywhere near it.  His stats are wildly inflated by kick-in duties and chips around the back half.  If you watched the first quarter of his last Jets game, you would write him off as a player and ditto pretty much for his VFL debut.   Fumbles under pressure and not that good a kick and may not even be able defend well eough one-on-one.  That said, it only takes one club to fall in love with a player.   

I was just going off an article in the scum or on espn or something; haven’t seen him play 

1 hour ago, Elwood 3184 said:

Timely discussion because today’s Herald Sun discusses the needs of the various clubs and what it means in terms of the upcoming mid season draft.

For Melbourne -

MELBOURNE 

THE Demons are tracking to have two of the last picks in the mid-season draft, however , there is every chance they don’t use both. 

Season-ending knee injuries to Marty Hore and Aaron Nietschke have opened up the list spots, despite the Demons listing Majak Daw and Deakyn Smith in the preseason . 

Coach Simon Goodwin’s game plan is based on chasing , tackling and harassing, with the Demons ranked No.1 in the AFL for pressure. 

Who is the best matureage pressure player who could walk into this premiership contender? Another small forward to sit in behind Kysaiah Pickett, Charlie Spargo and Alex Neal-Bullen would not be the worst result. 

Jye Bolton has been around forever and a day. He’s 29 years of age and was drafted by Collingwood as a rookie midfielder in the 2010 rookie draft. He played VFL for them in 2011 and moved on to Werribee and other parts after that. Won two Sandover Medals at Claremont and it would be a romantic story if he returned to Collingwood and made it. Like James Podsiadly who was rookied by Essendon and Collingwood early in his career but didn’t get an AFL game until he was 28 by which time the rules allowed mature rookies and he was taken by Geelong. Ended up playing more than 100 games for the Cats and the Crows.

Good luck to Kobe Farmer but unless he’s shot up from 169cm, he’s going to struggle.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

I thought the message from the Doggies when they didn’t pick him at last year’s draft was that he could Raak off. 

• Haha 2
On 4/23/2021 at 9:12 AM, don cordner said:

Your obviously missing the point, I’m saying trade him because he has more value now, we. Have him covered in the big man department, by the way I don’t like your attitude :)

Inference by "your" is plural presumably, so my WTF's is too...

2 hours ago, Elwood 3184 said:

For Melbourne -

MELBOURNE 

Welcome back to the Melbourne football Club, Kobe Farmer.

• Like 2

Why should we get all the good players🤣

Obviously he’s had his issues but I always thought Goober Crossley had a strong future as a ruck. Wouldn’t do much as a short term play but could be a bargain pick up.

Id be looking at the key defenders and mid sized forwards but mostly I’d be on the hunt for talent. Get it right and it can be a bonus 2nd or 3rd round pick which makes the draft easier at the end of the year 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Yes, it depends on the club’s position at the time of the mid season draft which I believe is slated for 2 June, 2021 i.e after Round 11 so there’s a lot of water still to flow under that bridge. However, there’s another factor and that is that the club must have a vacancy on its list after the 2020 drafts and the supplemental selections in March as well as long term injuries to players.

At the end of the draft period, Melbourne had two list vacancies which it filled with two supplemental selections in Majak Daw and Deakyn Smith. However, a further two potential list spots were opened in the pre season period with ACL’s to Marty Hore and the unlucky Aaron Nietschke. We don’t have to exercise the picks but have the right to do so. I read recently that a number of clubs don’t have vacancies and at this stage, it’s unlikely that Carlton, Fremantle, Geelong, GWS Giants, Richmond, West Coast and Western Bulldogs will participate but that could change depending on the situation with injuries. I suppose that the salary cap might affect whether clubs decide to use the MSD.

My guesstimate as to the positions if the draft was held today is as follows (but note that ladder positions will change over the next five rounds):-

1. North Melbourne

2. Collingwood

3. St. Kilda

4. Hawthorn

5. Essendon

6. Gold Coast

7. Adelaide

8. Brisbane

9. Sydney

10. Port Adelaide

11. Melbourne

12. North Melbourne

13. Collingwood

14. St. Kilda

15. Gold Coast

16. Adelaide

17. Melbourne

18. North Melbourne

19. St. Kilda

20. Gold Coast

21. St. Kilda

22. Gold Coast

I’ve already mentioned that I would like to see the club avail itself of a pick but more to select a player with an eye for the future because it’s likely that we won’t be participating in the early part of the November national draft. Given the disruption to play in 2020, there are going to be some rare hidden gems that have been kept under the radar and if we get it right, we could achieve some big bonuses for the future.

What, no draft concessions or priority picks for Gold Coast? That seems a little unusual by the AFL.