Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFL Mid Season Draft 2021

Whispering_Jack

I'm excited to see what Jason Taylor manages to pull from the rough.  I've said it before, but each time there is a contract negotiation with him, just give him a blank cheque.  His eye (and those that work with him) for talent is outstanding

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mfcrox said:

I'm excited to see what Jason Taylor manages to pull from the rough.  I've said it before, but each time there is a contract negotiation with him, just give him a blank cheque.  His eye (and those that work with him) for talent is outstanding

been a massive and underrated part of our recent success, one of the best in the business at the moment. really understands the systems and maximises them with his pick swaps and knowledge to pounce when its right and wait for players to slide when necessary too

3 hours ago, Dr.D said:

hey guys, im lazy and can't be botherer reading up on it all. When is it, how many players are we choosing and do we have a right to extend their contracts if they turn out to be good?

Next Wednesday night 

We’ve got 2 spots free. Although that could be 3. One of Hore or Tommo isn’t inactive yet I’d imagine. My guess is we only take 1 pick

Players can nominate on 6 or 18 month terms. Given they’ve all been overlooked in previous drafts I’d imagine they are life time free agents. Extending players probably isn’t the main concern, the first concern is finding one good enough!

In the lead up to the 2021 AFL Midseason Draft, Chris Doerre (“Knightmare”) has come up with a video presentation of his Top 20 MSD Power Rankings and the best players at each position ranked. 

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2021-draft-almanac.1257391/

These are his top twenty power draft candidates of who 3 had yet to nominate at the time of the presentation:- 

1. Jackson Callow 

2. Jacob Edwards 

3. Ned Boyle 

4. Bailey Lambert (did not nominate)

5. Tyrone Thorne 

6. Angus Baker 

7. Jack Avery (did not nominate)

8. Blake Schlensog 

9. Patrick Parnell 

10. Sam Lowson 

11. Max Pescud 

12. Haiden Schloithe 

13. Jye Bolton 

14. Charlie Dean 

15. Josh Green 

16. Mitch Podhajski 

17. Jai Newcombe 

18. Zavier Maher 

19. Josh Newman (did not nominate)

20. Cody Raak 

In addition, a further five players were nominated as being worth discussing:-

• Nathan Freeman 

• Marcus Lentini 

• Joel Trudgeon

• Alex Mirkov (210cm with Carlton VFL)

• Tyson Stengle 

• Thanks 3

On 5/26/2021 at 6:12 PM, buck_nekkid said:

I see the MSD as having value in 3 dimensions:

1: immediate top up with state league player to fill a specific hole - ie, ruck for GC.

2: grabbing talent that you were unsure about at the previous year’s drafts, but has has 6 months to prove their wares.  This includes that you dont want to risk them getting to the full draft.

3: a surprise talent emerges through the state leagues worth adding to the list

Players in the MSD are not likely to be match ready until the end of August (unless case 1 is desperate), so either they do a marlon Pickett or develop for next year inside the club.

My concern really is that because of the disruption to football over the past year and a half, there aren’t the obvious “Marlion Picketts” around. Is our reduced recruiting staff up to the task of finding some diamonds in the rough.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 9:04 AM, don cordner said:

Just thinking, we have a riches of big men, and with. Toms form being excellent, teams would now be frothing to get him on their list, are we able to trade him out, and pick up a player that fills a need for us?

I revoke this post , haha

On 5/26/2021 at 5:10 PM, DeeSpencer said:

It’s 70k a player if it doesn’t work out - 50k pay and 20k severance payment. But for 50 million dollar businesses that’s peanuts. 

I don’t really buy the resources argument. For us it’s filling in 3 ACL victims who are all probably easy to manage. I reckon the benefit of fresh legs on the track is actually underrated.

If you’re bringing in older players they should be easy to manage, if you’re bringing in a young guy for the future you’ve given yourself a head start. There’s a lot of rookies who barely get a chance because the draft and their first year is over so quickly. It didn’t work out last time but I think teams will find 19 year olds this time (partly from the stronger covid crop) who play really well next year.

I doubt that we will be using the MSD to fill all three positions of our ACL victims. 

I think perhaps, the temporary change in Marty Hore’s status from being out for the season to 10 to 12 weeks might be a hint that the club doesn’t necessarily consider him “inactive”.

So, at best, it’s two players. I’m thinking one might be a ready made player required to fill a need for the remainder of the season and possibly going into the finals and the other a hidden gem for the future.

• Like 3

Would love if we could find a big bodied midfielder. Tom Greene's brother is in the draft, but not sure where he'll go or if he's any good. But a taller, strong midfielder who can immediately replace Viney when he's having his 5-6 week breaks would be nice

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Would love if we could find a big bodied midfielder. Tom Greene's brother is in the draft, but not sure where he'll go or if he's any good. But a taller, strong midfielder who can immediately replace Viney when he's having his 5-6 week breaks would be nice

You mean Tom Green and who is his brother?

23 minutes ago, Jontee said:

You mean Tom Green and who is his brother?

josh green, also a member of the giants academy, trained on with richmond in preseason as SSP and played vs us in the 2s match.

back playing with the giants in the vfl

This is the provisional draft order based on reverse current ladder position. It’s not final because clubs can still have additional picks if they nominate additional inactive players:- 

7CADFF96-2CFC-4C6A-9435-5D1548911BBE.jpeg
Rules regarding eligibility -

Eligible players include:

• A Player who nominated for the most recent NAB AFL National Draft.

Please note: A Player who nominated for and was not selected during the Draft and who committed for a further year as a 19-year-old Northern or NGA Academy Player is available to all Clubs should they nominate for the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

• A Player who has previously been on the list of a Club (not required to nominate for the most recent Draft) refers to the following situations:

• A Delisted Player

Please note: A Player delisted by a Club cannot be reselected in the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft by the same Club in the period immediately following their delisting unless they nominated for the most recent Draft.

• A Retired Player and/or a Player who has delisted himself and has not been on an AFL List for one year or more. For example, a player who retired in 2020 is not able to be selected in the 2021 NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft. 

Players in their 18th year or younger are not eligible to be selected.

Any player who does not meet the above criteria can be nominated by a representative of the AFL Talent Pathway, their AFLPA accredited agent or the player themselves and be considered for an exemption.

State League Participation:

Players who are selected in the 2021 Mid-Season Rookie Draft that stay in their original State are subject to the following:

• They will not be permitted to play against their original Club unless otherwise agreed by all parties.

• The player has the right to return to their original Club to participate in finals if their service is no longer required at their AFL Club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Picks 13 & 18 should give us a good look in if we are in the hunt? Can’t have to much depth if you are pushing into September. Go to it JT.

Go Dee’s.!!!!!!!

36 minutes ago, Older demon said:

HS has us taking Stengle and Riley Knight both Adelaide cast offs. Cannot see that happening

The Last Adelaide cast off we took turned out pretty well 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2021 at 6:23 AM, The Rebbe said:

In the Yiddish language a [censored] refers to a part of the male anatomy associated with the name Richard. That would have ruled this bloke out in the days of Joe Gutnik.

Only if he wasn’t circumcised!

Really intrigued by this. 

I haven't seen a name that we've been linked to compared to some of the names with other clubs.

Do wonder whether we'll go a defender then Midfielder. 

26 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I hope so. We're in a world of pain if another key defender goes down.

9 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Really intrigued by this. 

I haven't seen a name that we've been linked to compared to some of the names with other clubs.

9 hours ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

I hope so. We're in a world of pain if another key defender goes down.

Seriously, we're not going to get a premiership-ready KPB in the mid-season draft.

We've currently got B.Brown, Majak and M.Brown not getting a game who have been with us all season and longer - we're not going to find someone more ready than any of them.

We're possibly playing one extra tall in attack at the moment and could go with one less there if necessary too.

If crisis struck and we lost 2 talls we would need to shuffle existing resources.

• Like 6