Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

Will we tag Dusty?


Jjrogan
 Share


Recommended Posts


Hibberd did a really good job on Dusty a few years ago but I'm sure he has the capacity to go with him any more all around the ground.

I think someone like Viney lining up on him for stoppages in the middle of the ground and Hibberd ready to take him as he moves forward is more likely than a singular hard tag. 

Edited by kieranbj
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kieranbj said:

Hibbered did a really good job on Dusty a few years ago but I'm sure he has the capacity to go with him any more all around the ground.

I think someone like Viney lining up on him for stoppages in the middle of the ground and Hibbered ready to take him as he moves forward is more likely than a singular hard tag. 

Agree. When Viney is in the team, he tends to be the player that's called upon to do a role on one of the opposition's prime movers.  Though it seems like Goody likes to back our system first and then put the clamps on in someone is getting away from us - pretty sure this is what they did with Selwood a few weeks ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Hibberd was brought in to get him right for Martin.

Play on him and then look for hibberd on the spread. Make dusty work defensively.

Thats more of a basketball tactic when you are more assured you can get the ball to the specific player but hibberd is good enough to find the ball.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Almost impossible to beat him one-on-one. He is up there with Leigh Matthews in this regard. A hard tag won't work. Also, whoever plays on him can try to run off him offensively, but if you watch Richmond games, when teams try this, Dusty simply does not go with them.

So, a quick scenario:  Hibbo gets the ball at half back, sprints away through the wing area to kick inside our F50, Dusty will stay where he was between wing and the Tiges half forward. The Tiges are brilliant at causing turnovers across their half back, chain of handballs through the middle, Hibbo struggling to get back to Martin. It turns into a defensive one-on-one and Martin strolls away.

We have to force him to handball, or kick shorter kicks to the side. 

Or, we get more of the ball and force him to defend. And I reckon this will be plan A from Goodwin.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Almost impossible to beat him one-on-one. He is up there with Leigh Matthews in this regard. A hard tag won't work. Also, whoever plays on him can try to run off him offensively, but if you watch Richmond games, when teams try this, Dusty simply does not go with them.

So, a quick scenario:  Hibbo gets the ball at half back, sprints away through the wing area to kick inside our F50, Dusty will stay where he was between wing and the Tiges half forward. The Tiges are brilliant at causing turnovers across their half back, chain of handballs through the middle, Hibbo struggling to get back to Martin. It turns into a defensive one-on-one and Martin strolls away.

We have to force him to handball, or kick shorter kicks to the side. 

Or, we get more of the ball and force him to defend. And I reckon this will be plan A from Goodwin.

Spot on Maldon

Martin will stay forward of Centre, it is a rarity to see him at Halfback, particularly at the ‘G

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Yung Blood said:

doubt it. We haven't had a history in recent times of a hard tag. Goodwin likes to keep our mids freed up.

Goody mentioned on AFL360 last night that he doesn't mind using the tag in general. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Goody mentioned on AFL360 last night that he doesn't mind using the tag in general. 

Yeah he'll definitely get guys to pay closer attention when oppo mids are having too much influence. I've noticed already this year a few times players like Viney and Jordan hedging players around stoppages to limit their space and movement. I meant more a traditional hard tag like de Boer's role for GWS.

Last hard tag I can remember us playing was Harmsy back in 2018 finals.

Edited by Yung Blood
Link to comment
Share on other sites

viney doesnt have the pace to go with Edwards. we either go a hard tag or nothing at all. None of this 'be mindful of Dusty, make him accountable' [censored]. 

I'm actually more worried about guys like Castagna. Its these sort of guys that kick bags against us due to our lack of good small defenders. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, demonstone said:

:blink:

Hibbered

Defintion - To be 'Hibbered' - to get schooled by Hibberd in a action that decides a contest. eg, Hawks early Q4, Round 4 2021

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

viney doesnt have the pace to go with Edwards. we either go a hard tag or nothing at all. None of this 'be mindful of Dusty, make him accountable' [censored]. 

I'm actually more worried about guys like Castagna. Its these sort of guys that kick bags against us due to our lack of good small defenders. 

 

On that note. Anyone know how Lockhart played? God we have so much depth now across the ground.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The First bounce will be Gawn, Clarry, Trac and Kozzi.  

They can worry about us.

Martin dominates regardless, not worth losing a player with a hard tag, especially as we don't have a natural tagger in the team

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see Hibberd going full ground as he did a couple of years ago. Maybe Gus starts at half back, JJ on a wing and Hibberd in the square then they all rotate post bounce.

But I don’t think that will be plan A. I think we’ll start head to head in the midfield then have Hibbo pick him up after the bounce. Viney to mind him at stoppages makes sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Yung Blood said:

Yeah he'll definitely get guys to pay closer attention when oppo mids are having too much influence. I've noticed already this year a few times players like Viney and Jordan hedging players around stoppages to limit their space and movement. I meant more a traditional hard tag like de Boer's role for GWS.

Last hard tag I can remember us playing was Harmsy back in 2018 finals.

Yeah that is how he meant it.

Last hard tag i recall was Bernie Vince on Danger. thats a few years ago now.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If May plays I think May takes Dusty when he goes forward. 

I am not really that fussed about tagging Martin. It's like tagging Trac, pointless. If we tag him he will just play up forward and cause more headaches. 

A whole team defence is the right approach when playing Richmond. Even if you stop Dusty, they have plenty of other players to win them the game. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kieranbj said:

Hibberd did a really good job on Dusty a few years ago but I'm sure he has the capacity to go with him any more all around the ground.

I think someone like Viney lining up on him for stoppages in the middle of the ground and Hibberd ready to take him as he moves forward is more likely than a singular hard tag. 

The problem with that is Dusty does a lot of his damage forward of the stoppage before say Hibberd can pick him up. Viney will hunt the footy and leave Dusty pushing forward with nobody on him. IMO if we tag him it has to be Hibberd in the center and tehn wherever he goes. Dusty doesn't go past the center and vertically plays full time half forward, he just starts after every goal in the middle .Hibberd has done it before and can do it again, if we want to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d like to see us just play our structure, if Martin gets off the leash early then you can look at tagging, the main thing with him is manning up when he drifts fwd, I’m fine when he’s in the middle to go head to head and back out mids in over them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, deelusions from afar said:

Agree. When Viney is in the team, he tends to be the player that's called upon to do a role on one of the opposition's prime movers.  Though it seems like Goody likes to back our system first and then put the clamps on in someone is getting away from us - pretty sure this is what they did with Selwood a few weeks ago.

Correct, but we could have a general message to our players, particularly those who have good mobility, to take him on and so do as hard and straight as you can. He won't recover so well if he's impacted time and again. He's no Petracca!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...