Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

A strategy that Sydney used very effectively vs Tigers was to 'divide and conquer' their defenders.  Several Sydney forwards would lead in different directions so the Tiger defenders couldn't get across to intercept.  If we have two of Weideman/Brown/Fritsch we can very effectively use this strategy.  Even with one of them and TMac we can still make it work.

Yeh. Difference is that we're a pretty average kicking side.

So I can't imagine we'll go as hard on that strategy given the way we play due to the personnel we have. 

• Like 1

To nobodys surprise there is a 70% chance of rain on Saturday.   For the sake of the spectacle it had better be long gone by the evening.

Think we can forget the tall forward experiment for this week and only one of Weid or Brown will come in.

Edited by Pickett2Jackson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, praha said:

Richmond has beaten Carlton, Hawthorn and St Kilda. The average ladder position of teams they've beaten is 14th. Ours is 11th. Geelong and Saints both in the top 8 when we beat them. Tigers have played well once this season and everyone is talking about them ... they beat up an injury ravage St Kilda that was on a 5-day break. And yet we're the team that "hasn't beaten anyone yet". Let's not forget Richmond's 5-0 start to the year in 2017...

Not to understate them as a team because I think they're great, but seriously, I am very much looking forward to beating them comfortably on Saturday.

Who are you and what have you done with the old @praha?

5 hours ago, demoniac said:

May if fit replaces Tomlinson. Petty a genuine key defender who can free May up. Tomlinson more 3rd tall/utility.

Weed for M Brown.

If B Brown comes in then its Tommy Mac out.

Sparrow to full game in VFL after being medical sub  replaced by Toby Bedford who should be in the 22  instead of Jones but fair play I guess to get Jones to 300 given what the club put him through with its deep dive into mediocrity during his footballing prime.

Absolutely no way Tomlinson gets dropped on his current form. He's in great form and playing his role really well. We've worked hard on the Lever-May-Tomlinson combo and it's working. I like Petty but right now he's cover for those three.

4 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

This team is intriguing. I think Fritsch on the wing and TMac as a high half forward actually works better, but this is one way to juggle our best players into the 22. 

Fritsch's forward half game this year means he has to play forward, not wing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

T Mac as a lead up forward is a good thing, but the wing experiment wont work.  They will try it though.

Reservations of TMac playing the wingers role. He is not quick enough, agile enough and one-dimensional in his delivery. He is a good mark and accurate kick but the wing is too far out for his talents. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Tomlinson more 3rd tall/utility.

Nope, Tomlinson is a winger with additional skills displayed in the backline in recent matches. I'd accept a utility winger provided that abstraction can run both ways. Tomlinson can - all game.He is also a good linkman.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

You cant kick seven goals and not get called up.

Wied has to be selected.

He and TMac are vying for the same spot. TMac has the runs on the board so Weid will just have to keep doing the business at Casey until he gets his opportunity.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Reservations of TMac playing the wingers role. He is not quick enough, agile enough and one-dimensional in his delivery. He is a good mark and accurate kick but the wing is too far out for his talents. 

I agree.  I'm a TMac fan and think he has many attributes but he doesn't have the footy smarts and composure that Brayshaw generally has.  So they both keep their current roles.  I don't see the value of moving players out of roles that work well for the team. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, The Stigga said:

Be bold Demons,

In: B Brown, Weid, Fritsch, May

Out: M Brown, Melksham, Petty, Sparrow/Jordon

Bold or wise.....bringing in players underdone or not 100% is not bold!

Wise pick healthy players and ensure they are right to play, can you play all those talks in one side??

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

Found it interesting that Darren Burgess said today that Bailey Laurie busted an eye socket and would be out for six weeks. May does it and misses two! Something doesn't add up!

Depends on the severity. Laurie might have a proper fracture. May might only have a hairline crack. 
Also why rush a first year player from such an injury? 

• Like 7

On 4/19/2021 at 1:31 PM, Mel Bourne said:

Let me preface this by saying I have a depressive-personality disorder and am currently trying to wean myself off one type of medication to swap to another, so maybe shouldn’t be on Internet forums lol...

It’s possibly down to some deficiency, or perhaps ascribed to just a different way of seeing things, but I’ve never found myself particularly moved by individual milestones in AFL. Further to this, have always viewed the particular importance humans attach to having a zero or two at the end of an amount or age as somewhat overstated. It’s not how we measure the actual worth of a life or career, so why the hullabaloo? Every year we live (and every game they play) is just as important as the last - basically it’s just a number. And in a team sport, the importance of an individual’s effort to keep themselves on the oval for x amount of years is, though highly commendable, nothing to get into a lather over (I’m unable to anyway)  

I’d be far more excited about a win over the Tigers without NJ in the team, than a loss with him in it. But sure, both would be particularly nice.

I’m sure plenty of folks here will think I’m a bit crazy or miserable for saying such a thing. The first paragraph was merely to let you know that indeed I officially am, yuk yuk yuk. 

Anyway back to the couch...

Ps. I also found it pretty odd that Goodwin effectively named him in next weekend’s squad straight after the match. Is there not a selection process to follow? 

I hear you. But I think you’re completely discounting the huge psychological impact. Imagine Dusty playing his 250th and Jonesy being denied his 300th in the same game. Morale killer. Jonesy absolutely plays this week. 

• Like 3

I’d be absolutely (pleasantly) astonished if May can play this Saturday.

I had resigned myself to him being out for 3 months when I first saw his injury.

I find this news in the first moon-landing territory of remarkableness - surely it can’t be true.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dee-tox said:

Found it interesting that Darren Burgess said today that Bailey Laurie busted an eye socket and would be out for six weeks. May does it and misses two! Something doesn't add up!

Geeps can they maybe try and be more careful at training.

Where was Burgo reporting from...he looked like he was off to an antartic base camp.

• Like 1

The clear changes: If available (as Goody and now Burgo have really hinted toward)

May and Fritsch IN

M.Brown and Petty OUT

Obviously we need one of our tall forwards in, and I feel there’s two main options. Who ever actually comes out is INCREDIBLY stiff, and I don’t envy the selectors.

Option 1: We take Jordon out with Gus taking his role, while also possibly sharing the wing with McDonald. I feel like Goody is really preferring players sticking to their roles they have worked on this pre season, so I find it hard to lean toward Goody changing Gus’ role when he’s doing so well on the wing. Tmac will probably player higher up the field anyway no matter which tall comes in. He’s clearly not getting dropped, playing great footy atm. Goody has been adamant that he isn’t going to play back, it’s frustrating that so many people don’t watch his interviews and jump on the forums.

Option 2: Taking either a half forward off to fit them in (Jones off the table this week, so only option is Milkshake), or take off a small (ANB, Spargs, Kossie). The stats (and our own eyes) are clearly showing us that we are doing so well this season because of our forward pressure, so highly doubt any of these guys come out. Particularly against a team like Richmond, and especially when we are bringing a tall in who will not bring the same pressure.

I think for the best balance it will be:

B.Brown IN

Milkshake OUT (and made sub)

Weid and Melksham stiff, but BBB has a bigger presence up forward and already has more feathers in his cap. He was also more consistent than Weid in the half they played in the VFL praccie match the week before. Weid has always struggled with consistency, so would love to see him really bang the door down with more strings of dominant VFL performances.

Truly no idea how they would  have all 3 + Gawn/Jacko, but I don’t think that will be a problem to consider this week. 

Edited by Click_Bate
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

I know Goodwin has made mention to the media that we're functioning well without Brown and Weed but behind closed doors I imagine they can't wait to get one of them in, maybe even both.

Brown's leading as a key forward is being completely overlooked by many. One of our knocks so far is our inaccuracy and wastefulness in front of goal. Brown will straighten us up to no end with his leading patterns and lanes and he will constantly make space because of this. Gawn continued to lead to deep pockets against Hawthorn which was ineffective, as did T Mac when when he was playing deep.

B Brown and Weed might be too much but I hope it's one of them plus Fritsch. That at least gives us one strong leading forward plus another aerieal threat in Fritsch who is smart with his leads.

Hard to know who to opt for after the VFL game. Yeh Weed had a day out, but I just love what Brown will be able to do for us off the ball. His leading patterns are simply elite and he'll constantly have either Balta or Astbury on the move, leaving Jackson, T Mac and Fritsch to get dangerous.

We're not an amazing kicking side and our use inside 50 is still poor at the best of times. Against Richmond, we'll need strong leading players, a lot of movement and a heap of pressure at the drop of the ball.

One of Brown and Weed as well as Fritsch. If no Fritsch, I'd bring Brown and Weed in. 

Agree  

While 7 goals is impressive, I’d like to see more consistency from Weidemen before bringing him into the team. 

Assuming all are fit, I’d prioritise BBB and Fritsch this weekend. Let the team adjust to BBB and let Weidemen show the selectors that he can consistently deliver goals at the VFL level before bringing him back into the AFL team. 

• Like 3

OUT: M Brown, Melksham, Petty

IN: Weid, Fritsch, May

Next week B Brown comes in for Jones unless he plays a blinder in his 300th.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nairobi_Demon said:

Agree  

While 7 goals is impressive, I’d like to see more consistency from Weidemen before bringing him into the team. 

Assuming all are fit, I’d prioritise BBB and Fritsch this weekend. Let the team adjust to BBB and let Weidemen show the selectors that he can consistently deliver goals at the VFL level before bringing him back into the AFL team. 

The Weed is enigmatic to some degree - kicks seven last week, couldn't get a kick the week before - all at a lower grade and standard - yet in many minds, a mandatory inclusion to the team. One more week at Casey would be a sensible indicator for him as his form has been a history of 'ups' and 'not so  up(s) ' for so long. Brown in at FFwd, TMac at CHFwd and Fritta in, for mine. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, demoniac said:

May if fit replaces Tomlinson. Petty a genuine key defender who can free May up. Tomlinson more 3rd tall/utility.

Weed for M Brown.

If B Brown comes in then its Tommy Mac out.

Sparrow to full game in VFL after being medical sub  replaced by Toby Bedford who should be in the 22  instead of Jones but fair play I guess to get Jones to 300 given what the club put him through with its deep dive into mediocrity during his footballing prime.

Tomlinson is one of our best there is no way he is dropped

• Like 2

Sam or Ben...what a tough choice.

The more I think about the less I know

Ben 3 years Coleman like except for last and who must strike fear in most defenders.

Heres Sam ...of great stock and looked damaging several times who just kicked Seven goals

Others have pointed out that Sam And Tom compete for the same spot and Tmac rightly wont be dropped.

I think Sam will take LJs spot most of the time with Lj giving Max a chop out.

Ben the week after against his old club..with I cant even guess to come out.

Credit to the club for fixing our dearth of forwards and to Tom for turning his career and our clubs fortunes around.

My 2 bobs worth,

Both May and Frirz, if passed fit to play, are best 22 and should come in.  Cannot really believe they are both fit especially May.

There must be something in the bath water, if he can over come his eye and Viney continue after a thump to his knuts.

who goes out............good luck, need to pick a tall defender to go out and someone out to fit in Fritz, maybe Brown and Petty. Or AnB or milky to the sub, maybe Jordon.

Weid played really well, watched most of it, he was a class above, BBB was every where but I thought needed the run. 

think only Weid in and only perhaps, we have a winning combination, reward the winners. And if one or both come in,

who goes out and it’s a big change to a sometimes working forward line. Given. We are undefeated, there for it must be working.

I was surprised at how well Weid played last week and I am not a huge fan at all.

good luck to the selectors, the players, and the rest of us. We can beat these bass tards, they should be a little cocksure after rolling the saints so easily.

Go Dees