Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

14 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Id drop him for sure.  We will be even better when Bedford is in the AFL team.

As I mentioned above, I don't think ANB will be dropped this week as we already have a few inexperienced players and we, will be bringing in non-match fit players and/or recently injured/recovered players.

Other than the Saints game I'm not rating ANB's defensive work this year anything better than average.  One good game out of 5 isn't enough to keep his spot.  If he doesn't lift his game this week then he may not play in one or more of the next three games vs North, Sydney, Carlton.  They are games when we can experiment a little with fringe/unforced selections.

Bedford had an outstanding game without the ball yesterday.  Keep that up and he would be a worthy replacement for ANB.  Harmes will be available in a few weeks and while he may not be a direct replacement for ANB he could pressure on spots that force ANB out.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

As of right now 

May for Petty 

Fritsch for Melksham

BBrown for MBrown 

Weid for Jordon 

Tmac to take Brayshaw's role on the wing

Brayshaw to take Jordon's role as an on-baller / half back

Could easily justify keeping Melk in the side and giving BBrown another week

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Alex Flood said:

My question is how does Jackson fit in the team when Wied, B Brown & Fritsch are all up forward ?

This is a good question and has been well answered by Binman. Jackson stays because he is a nightmare matchup, a point of difference between us and every other team, and because he allows Max to go forward and back. Think of him as a very tall and springy mid that no opposition can cover.

• Like 1

If Fritta is ready, he becomes a straight swap for Melksham.

They surely won’t drop T Mac when he’s showing this kind of form. Jackson is performing his role well and also stays.

Even if we move T Mac to the wing, a team with Gawn, Jackson, T Mac, Weid, BB and possibly Fritta tips the balance too far out of whack IMO. So just one of BB or Weid to replace M Brown.

On paper you would go BB. That said, seven goals is seven goals. If memory serves, Weid has generally translated his VFL form across to AFL in the very next game he plays. So if picked I would back him in to play well.

My gut says go with Weid but it’s a coin toss. Brown debuting in Jones’ 300th on Anzac eve would be quite the event.

I have a feeling they will go Brown for Brown with Weid just unlucky that T Mac is in form.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Weideman will play for sure.    Only question is do we bring them both in.

No, they both cannot succeed against Richmond's clearing defence and run. Who is the greatest threat to Richmond (?) - that is the question, enabling/contributing to effective dispersement of the ball in the Demons favour. BB has the runs on the board in terms of the grab and the reliability off the foot - and getting into telling positions to receive the ball. Weed has had a great game with Casey and performed astonishingly well - right now, holding runs on the board for senior selection opportunity.

The selection must come from the respective delivery of the ball to teammates and attacking smalls. The possible return of Fritta may well affect the selection, anyway.

Brown, for mine. TMac rested if the Weed is selected but the Weed is very static week-to-week (perhaps to be trialled again at CHF where he will have to run and find space to execute his skills).

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wattsindawes said:

Weid, Brown, May in for Jordon, Brown, Petty. 

Move Tmac to the wing, Brayshaw to slot in where Jordon was. 

Think this will be correct for the changes. I worry we’ll wind up too tall and lacking speed against the Tigers, who are a quick running pressure side. 

Astounded (though not really ...) by the calls for Melksham to be dropped. He was our most dangerous forward by far against the Hawks -  more goals and more score involvements than ANB and Spargo combined.

If you have to drop one of the small/mid forwards for Fritsch, then ANB would be first to go I would have thought.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

As of right now 

May for Petty 

Fritsch for Melksham

BBrown for MBrown 

Weid for Jordon 

Tmac to take Brayshaw's role on the wing

Brayshaw to take Jordon's role as an on-baller / half back

Could easily justify keeping Melk in the side and giving BBrown another week

Jordan 20 possesions, and 11 in the final 1/4 when the game needed to be won. And 4 tackles.

He stays unless exhausted.

Who'd be a selector this week?

11 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

Simon Goodwin’s tennis analogies have clearly struck a chord with the Dees.

Awesome game Jake, you've picked yourself for next week....

The other fella in the photo, Tomlinson, gets Goodwin's shoulder. A few times in the match, Tomlinson was evidently not quite at the ball as a defender and yet, a little out there, radially, he was poised to break with the ball, well.

It is time that Tomlinson was returned to the wing to effect his movement both ways, his spatial awareness and drive, and his improved accuracy in disposal. What he has learned/displayed in the backline will be an enormous boost for his wing role and play in support of the team.

Gus, put there 'out of position' is similarly strugling at times - Gus is an outside midfielder with talent for that role supporting Tracc and Oliver and Gawn through that midfield array. Let's see Tomlinson back on the wing (a position in which I believe he will display vast improvements) and Gus back to the midfield. 

Edited by Deemania since 56

6 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

I worry we’ll wind up too tall and lacking speed against the Tigers, who are a quick running pressure side. 

We tamper with our forward pressure capability at our peril.

It will open the door for the Tiges approach big time as you say.

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

He may not get dropped this week but he needs to really lift his game.  His season averages look ok because of the very good round 2 game vs Saints.  For other games he has been in the bottom 1/3rd of players.

I'm not his biggest fan but think he is playing his role.  Clearly his running capacity makes him a real asset to the team.

I think he has also tidied up his disposal which was the main thing that used to frustrate me about him eg the perfectly weighted pass to Brown in the last quarter.

Having said that, if they can match him with the running, Bedford / Chandler might offer a bit more.

I don't think Melksham had necessarily earnt his place in the team after his output in 2019 and 2020, but now that he's in the team, it will be hard for him to go out - all those saying he will be dropped for Fritsch, I wouldn't be so sure.

Goodwin is clearly a big fan of his and at his best he is an automatic selection - I think Goody will be keen to give him a few weeks (more than ppl here would give) to allow him to get back to that.  

I don't think he's got the capacity to put the defensive pressure on we need (if we're playing Brown / Tmac, Weid, Fritsch and Jackson in the same team) but rightly or wrongly I think match committee will drop others ahead of Jake

10 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

The other fella in the photo, Tomlinson, gets Goodwin's shoulder. A few times in the match, Tomlinson was evidently not quite at the ball as a defender and yet, a little out there, radially, he was poised to break with the ball, well.

It is time that Tomlinson was returned to the wing to effect his movement both ways, his spatial awareness and drive, and his improved accuracy in disposal. What he has learned/displayed in the backline will be an enormous boost for his wing role and play in support of the team.

Gus, put there 'out of position' is similarly strugling at times - Gus is an outside midfielder with talent for that role supporting Tracc and Oliver and Gawn through that midfield array. Let's see Tomlinson back on the wing (a position in which I believe he will display vast improvements) and Gus back to the midfield. 

It could end up happening but there's no way that will happen at the moment.  I rate Petty as a key defender but Tomlinson has done a good job down there and built good chemistry with the other defenders.

If anyone, it's TMac that will get a go on the wing - but I suspect they won't try that against the tigers but the following week v the roos.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

When Tom Mac leads up and marks on the wing and spins around, he has had nobody to kick to but an apprentice Luke Jackson and a mid sized Fritsch.

Imagine now Tom Mac marking up the ground spinning around and having two big forward targets to look for in Ben Brown and Sam Weideman, with Fritsch and LJ more freed up to cause mayhem.

All of them will fit in the team and if it clicks it could be unstoppable.

Im salivating at the prospect P2J, but we have to find the right time to bed this in our current winning formula.

Maybe Next week against Norf then Syd, Carlton and Adelaide a month to tinker to find the perfect blend.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

From  a Richmond forum

'Reckon we go unchanged. Gawn is in form but also as soft as ruckman get. Dimmer would trust nank to break him.'

Imagine being this deluded.

He will get smashed Nank the Tank.

Below shows the heat maps for ANB over the first 5 rounds (Round 5 on the right). 

7 inside 50's on Sunday, but almost no presence at all inside forward 50. Most of the heat would be due to the large amount of points we scored and the fact that the resultant kickin went out to this members flank.

Rounds 3-4 in particular showed much more of a pressure presence inside 50. I wonder if he has been instructed more to sit a kick behind the play and lock it in (and also create space inside 50 as a result). 

image.thumb.png.671c2e00aea6320d8f48015597d4a05f.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

If you bring in both Brown and Weideman one or both of them will have to spend significant time in the CHF up the ground role that Tom is playing. He had 2 touches in the back 50 and 69% of touches in the attacking half.

Replacing Tom when he's at peak fitness and in decent form for 2 guys who have played 1.5 games each and don't offer much at ground level or defensively doesn't make sense.

Bring one of Weid/Brown in this week, bring the next one in when they have a bit more fitness under their belt. 

There's 17 team weeks until finals, now is not the time to try to assemble our best possible line up or worry about who's in the long term plans. Picking the best team for right now has to be the aim and that means keeping the guy who took 10 marks at CHF.

I think thats the way it will go down.

Weid will come in first as he kicked 6 or 7.

Brown the perfect foil against his old club.

People are talking about May being nack.

Could that be possible?

2 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

Below shows the heat maps for ANB over the first 5 rounds (Round 5 on the right). 

7 inside 50's on Sunday, but almost no presence at all inside forward 50. Most of the heat would be due to the large amount of points we scored and the fact that the resultant kickin went out to this members flank.

Rounds 3-4 in particular showed much more of a pressure presence inside 50. I wonder if he has been instructed more to sit a kick behind the play and lock it in (and also create space inside 50 as a result). 

image.thumb.png.671c2e00aea6320d8f48015597d4a05f.png

May I ask which app or website heat maps are found?  Cheers

Our forward pressure was way off where it’s been through the first 4 rounds. Gotta turn the heat dial right back up again for the Tiges. Kozzie played well but Spargo and Nibbler disappointed. I say they both play this week but Nibbler needs to lift. Another poor outing and Bedford should replace him.

If Fritsch is fit he replaces Melks. Melks has done nothing wrong but that’s what happens when there’s genuine competition for places.

BB or Weid for M Brown. Toss of a coin which, and fitness permitting, but I‘d plump for BB. We brought him to the club to be our spearhead so if he’s fit he should play. The Weid will have to bide his time. I’m not in favor of playing both and sacrificing a small and I’m not sure TMac to the wing is a good idea either.

If May is fit he’ll replace Petty.

3 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Is it fair to say we will need manic/relentless defensive/2 way running and manic forward pressure vs the Tigers?

If so, who is best place to provide this?

Melksham? I only watched the 2nd half and didn't pay enough attention to him, except that crazy sideways kick inboard and 2 goals.

Defensive pressure in our f50 is the key to us scoring. Tmac said this straight after the game.

We played 15 mins of blistering footy yesterday. We'll need to play four qtrs against the tigers.

Melksham doesn't tackle or run hard both ways. He has great skills but not the effort and intensity we need to be part of a top four team.

He got a great big hug from the coach after the game. He's in.

I reckon Jordan could do with a rest. Sparrow in.

May in for Petty

Weid in for Mitch Brown (maybe. Still not sold on the Weid being a top forward. Benny Brown needs some more fitness from watching the Casey game)

I wouldn't risk Fritta. He needs those hands to clunk marks and tackle.

Those questioning Tmacs value are a bit mad. He's getting back to his best. Clunks marks and kicks straight

Edited by Brownie