• Podcast:     

Fritsch Out for 2 Weeks with Fractured Hand

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bit surprised people are suggesting players like Mitch Brown and Daw. IMO Fritsch is a more rangey type, good on the wide leads and flexible enough to kick a few opportunistic goals. I wouldn't be rep

Fritsch and May out will test how far we've actually come. Time for Melksham to step up to the plate.

37 minutes ago, MF-C said:

I'd like to see Tracc spend more time up fwd. 

Melk + LJ need to start hitting the scoreboard too

Tracc is handy.  I don't expect or believe the last two will impact at all.  Too early for LJ as a rookie but you never know.

Petty in for May.  Majak or Brown for Frittata

15 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Bit surprised people are suggesting players like Mitch Brown and Daw. IMO Fritsch is a more rangey type, good on the wide leads and flexible enough to kick a few opportunistic goals. I wouldn't be replacing him with a big lumbering forward.

Put Melksham into Fritsch's role. He's better as a finisher anyway, doesn't do enough higher up the ground.

Yep, melksham is the logical replacement.

Arguably melksham's best role is the one fritter is currently playing. Like fritter he has good hands ans is generally an.acuuraye kick

Might be good for him too as the kpi is goals not disposals. 

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Bit surprised people are suggesting players like Mitch Brown and Daw. IMO Fritsch is a more rangey type, good on the wide leads and flexible enough to kick a few opportunistic goals. I wouldn't be replacing him with a big lumbering forward.

Put Melksham into Fritsch's role. He's better as a finisher anyway, doesn't do enough higher up the ground.

We still need a genuine target to lead up the middle or thereabouts to straighten us up LN.  Even if its a bit of a decoy that allows the likes of Tracc, Gawn, Kozzie and Melk (who i don't see as a genuine threat) to do their work out wide, under a deep bomb or around the drop.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

That is a kick in the guts. Who will replace his marking inside 50? Who will replace his goals?

no idea on both.

has taken 16 marks inside 50 and kicked 10 goals 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well, that sucks. Just a little bit better timing and we could have reshuffled with Brown coming in anyway.

But these things happen throughout a season and that's why it was so valuable to go 4-0. Also, our frenetic forward tackle-squad is still intact. It is also an opportunity to cement the idea that it is the team that wins games rather than relying on particular players.

Presumably Melksham gets used very explicitly as that final connection going inside 50, which is where he played the best in his career anyway so he'd better make use of his opportunity. 

Big moment for Jackson, too.  A bit more pressure to be a focal point rather than just a delightful bonus. 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

We still need a genuine target to lead up the middle or thereabouts to straighten us up LN.  Even if its a bit of a decoy that allows the likes of Tracc, Gawn, Kozzie and Melk (who i don't see as a genuine threat) to do their work out wide, under a deep bomb or around the drop.

Yeah I hear ya, I guess for mine we can cover that with a mix of TMac, Jacko and Gawn.

1 hour ago, Mel Bourne said:

Drag. Who comes in for him? Mitch Brown? 

Mitch Brown would be my pick, but dont rule out MAJAK!

• Like 3

If only the VFL season had started so we had some players in form. 

I reckon M Brown is the best replacement without considering form. He leads well and creates space. Something a guy like Melksham doesn’t do

• Like 7
  • Angry 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Yeah I hear ya, I guess for mine we can cover that with a mix of TMac, Jacko and Gawn.

Tmac is not a real lead up KF threat imo LN.  On rare occasions he might get out on a leash but usually he's playing higher up the ground looking to intercept and repel anyway.

As i said earlier i wouldn't expect LJ to play a significant lead up target.  Plays his role well deep however.  Brings the ball to ground for the smalls.  I'd leave him playing that role plus the relief ruck we've seen till now.  Its working a treat.

Big M can do it but only when resting or occasionally pushing so it aint gonna be a long term option.

Brown or Majak a must for mine.  The opp also wont be as prepared for that decoy (or maybe not a decoy!?) type set up either, which may work in our favour on the day!

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

We had a great run with injuries to this point so we're regressing to the mean, unfortunately. Fingers crossed we see some regression to the mean on our goalkicking accuracy, and that of our opponents.

I see three options to replace Fritsch:

1. A tall forward such as Daw or M Brown (B Brown if he was fit, but he's not)
  2. Melksham, with Melksham then being replaced by someone like Sparrow or someone like Chandler
  3. Petty plays forward, with Hibberd replacing May.

Personally I think with Petty training back, he should only play back. So, I think the third option shouldn't be the answer.

I think Melksham is the best replacement option overall but he can't match Fritsch's marking power or defensive abilities. But I think he's the best bet to ensure we don't become too tall or too slow.

If we use Melksham in that role we have to replace Melksham's role but I think we can cover that reasonably well with Sparrow coming into the 22 for a full game.

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, deanox said:

I'd consider Petty forward and Hibberd back for May.

We'd still have the flexibility to throw Petty back if we need the extra height.

Petty won't play there long, but I'm expecting Brown back for the tiges.

It makes sense, I just get the feeling that they have players playing particular roles - someone like Petty who doesn't have great experience at senior level they would probably want to get comfortable playing in a defence with Thomlinson and Lever etc - particularly if he's going up against Lynch and co the following week.

Just blows to have injuries before we face Richmond on the big stage. It’s a golden opportunity to get some prime time exposure but most importantly beat a contender. Gonna be tough to do without our full back and our most productive forward. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

We had a great run with injuries to this point so we're regressing to the mean, unfortunately. Fingers crossed we see some regression to the mean on our goalkicking accuracy, and that of our opponents.

I see three options to replace Fritsch:

1. A tall forward such as Daw or M Brown (B Brown if he was fit, but he's not)
  2. Melksham, with Melksham then being replaced by someone like Sparrow or someone like Chandler
  3. Petty plays forward, with Hibberd replacing May.

Personally I think with Petty training back, he should only play back. So, I think the third option shouldn't be the answer.

I think Melksham is the best replacement option overall but he can't match Fritsch's marking power or defensive abilities. But I think he's the best bet to ensure we don't become too tall or too slow.

If we use Melksham in that role we have to replace Melksham's role but I think we can cover that reasonably well with Sparrow coming into the 22 for a full game.

Great post - agree 100%. 

Would kind of like to see them give more ruck time to Jacko, play Gawn forward and see how Chandler could go in our forward rotation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Tmac is not a real lead up KF threat imo LN.  On rare occasions he might get out on a leash but usually he's playing higher up the ground looking to intercept and repel anyway.

As i said earlier i wouldn't expect LJ to play a significant lead up target.  Plays his role well deep however.  Brings the ball to ground for the smalls.  I'd leave him playing that role plus the relief ruck we've seen till now.  Its working a treat.

Big M can do it but only when resting or occasionally pushing so it aint gonna be a long term option.

Brown or Majak a must for mine.  The opp also wont be as prepared for that decoy (or maybe not a decoy!?) type set up either, which may work in our favour on the day!

Fair enough, respect your views mate, just disagree on the roles.

Fritsch isn't a key forward for mine, and I don't think bringing in a big lumbering type helps our forward line continue to be flexible, unpredictable and high on pressure.

FWIW, Fritsch leads our marks inside 50 (by a fair way), then Trac, Jackson, and all of TMac, Gawn and Melksham are equal after that. I just think replacing a nimble leading forward with a big non-agile type will muck up our mix.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ollie fan said:

That is a big out! Very hard player to replace,  and in terrific form...

Very big out. Bring in Daw as a forward; if proving to be below form, throw him into the backline and reverse roles with Petty (who should start a fullback. TMac must lift, once again, as a forward. Consider BBrown on the bench at first and then on in short rotations. Forget Weidemann, he ain't going to do it. Mitch Brown could come in - he can mark, lead to space(s), kick 'em; he can rotate with BB if necessary. Game on, carry on.

Edited by Deemania since 56
35 minutes ago, deanox said:

I'd consider Petty forward and Hibberd back for May.

We'd still have the flexibility to throw Petty back if we need the extra height.

Petty won't play there long, but I'm expecting Brown back for the tiges.

I wouldn't throw Petty, were already thin as it is on fit KPP's and as fun as it sounds to pick someone up and throw them somewhere it wouldn't be very fun of he landed awkwardly and was injured as a result.

• Like 1

What is good is that there are actually heaps of options.

-Gawn forward, LJ more ruck.

-Petty forward, Hibberd back.

-Melksham forward, Sparrow in middle.

-Mitch Brown or Majak Daw.

All are real options, and all come before Weid and Brown return from injury.

Also May is out, and we've got Petty and Hibberd as potential replacements. 

We've got Sparrow waiting in the wings for the midfield. Harmes is a few weeks away.

Bowey and Laurie may be a way off but they are a chance to get games if needed as a rotation.

Lockhart will come back from injury and put pressure on Jetta.

When a team plays well it looks likenit has depth.

Our risk is needing too many of these depth players at once.

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, binman said:

Yep, melksham is the logical replacement.

Arguably melksham's best role is the one fritter is currently playing. Like fritter he has good hands ans is generally an.acuuraye kick

Might be good for him too as the kpi is goals not disposals. 

Well this is his moment.

Needs to step up. No pressure.

Fritsch out is frustrating but injuries will occur lets hope they are short term and spread across the season at opportune time. Melksham plays the Fritsch role which he is best suited to, Sparrow stays in (which he should based on showing),  Petty for May and Hibberd as sub (or vice versa).

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Fair enough, respect your views mate, just disagree on the roles.

Fritsch isn't a key forward for mine, and I don't think bringing in a big lumbering type helps our forward line continue to be flexible, unpredictable and high on pressure.

FWIW, Fritsch leads our marks inside 50 (by a fair way), then Trac, Jackson, and all of TMac, Gawn and Melksham are equal after that. I just think replacing a nimble leading forward with a big non-agile type will muck up our mix.

Yep. Balance is everything.

Definitely agree with those calling for Mitch Brown to replace Bailey. Mitch isn't a lumbering big forward. He's taller and longer then bailey but still on the lighter more mobile side.

He plays similarly (obviously not as well) to Bailey as second/third marking option who does his best work on the lead and finding space like Bailey does. Stick with the current structure/formula I say and not muck things up bringing in another bigger heavier marking tall.

Melksham doesn't play the lead up role well. He prefers to have to ball ontop of his head standing so he can get body contact and either mark or bring ball to ground in control.

We won't be rushing either BBB or Weid back. The only spot in the side I can see Majak playing is if one of Jackson or Gawn are injured. He is a player who has to be more involved in games switching between ruck and forward to get the most out of him. I've watched him just get lost/wasted as a key position forward deep.

Edited by Yung Blood
  • Like 2