Kate Roffey Set to Become President of the MFC

6 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

This appointment has been made on merit. Anyone suggesting otherwise has obviously not bothered to do any research. Her accomplishments with respect to delivery of major projects are truly impressive and we are in the very fortunate position that she has been leveraging those connections to get our home base approved. I believe this appointment can only help that process.

This is not a token appointment to tick a gender equality box. She is the best person for the job. End of story.

Best of luck Kate.

I agree with this summation insofar the the task required at MFC is concerned. This is a meritorious appointment, without doubt, although it was not presented as such..

Kate seems perfectly positioned to assist the club with her skills, experience and local government network to advance our pressing needs for a home base.

The fact that gender needed to be introduced into the discussion of Kate's appointment at all, probably says more about the objectives for some, both here and in the public forum, to claim the higher moral ground and abuse any opinion that differs from their own. Virtue signalling is precisely what that is and it is the lowest form of of ideological argument.

My mother matriculated as dux of her school in 1946 and was denied entry into the Engineering Faculty of Monash University, because she was a woman. I don't appreciate "johnny-come-lateleys" talking about inequality as if they are victims or have any understanding of its true context.

I, like many older Australians, was brought up under the wing of strong willed woman (now sadly gone), who became a nurse caring for returned Korean battle infantry in the 1950's. A woman whose life's successful ambition was to create opportunities for the women that followed her, not by virtue of quotas but by merit.

I really hope Kate can find us a home and bring our club to new highs, not because of her gender, but because of her talents.

End of fact, beginning of new MFC Presidency.

Good luck to Kate and to us all. 

• Like 10
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

Don't like gender equality?  Women deserve the same opportunities as men, in fact they need to work even harder to gain the same respect.   Typical misogynist response to positive news.  

I will be glad when this becomes the norm in society, and the person whether male or female is best credentialed for the job.  Sexism is an ugly thing. See and hear way too much of it, especially in footy.   Rant over!

Good luck Kate!

Great post, Never. 

The fact that she has not made any decisions or announcements, got chosen for the job due to her outstanding qualifications and is already getting shut down in a forum based on her desire to increase gender representation in business...which she would understand how hard it is to get to because she's a woman, shows just how much harder it is to be a woman in a male dominated environment. 

I hope she does well in the role as I love this club and wants the best, but her success or not will not be based on her gender.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wackojacko said:

Swings left? Let’s hope she doesn’t bring that garbage into the club

No she won’t be swinging left. I used the wrong term, not politics, more her economic thinking is conservative, tends to parrot the usual Business Council propaganda as I remember some of her comments. 

Reading the Age I just hope winning a flag For the suffering members and holding longest premiership drought doesn’t take a back seat for her using the platform for gender equality. Don’t disagree with equality but hope she’s doing this role for the right reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3

37 minutes ago, Hogan2014 said:

Reading the Age I just hope winning a flag For the suffering members and holding longest premiership drought doesn’t take a back seat for her using the platform for gender equality. Don’t disagree with equality but hope she’s doing this role for the right reasons. 

Honestly, some of you blokes don’t get it. What questions do you think the first female pres of the oldest club is going to get? What answers to those questions should she give? Of course she gives a shut about equality - we all should. A bloke would never get that question.

And how some on here react? “I hope she cares about winning!1!1!1”

And if you are trying to gauge you’re own reaction - look who you have a like from - that should be some insight into inanity.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ding said:

We need a home Kate.

Such a heart wrenching plea, ding.  Simply and beautifully said.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CBDees said:

My dinner is still on the table at six. Where did my wife get it so wrong? 😳

She stayed with you out of a misguided sense of duty. Sadly, it is her destiny! 

And who has dinner at 6.00, so soon after lunch?. You must live in the country and waking hours be attuned to the sun and moon.  

• Haha 1

The appointment of a talented women with a range of skills, experiences and achievements has to be a good thing. 

She will not be spoken down to in a paternalistic manner and hopefully will shake things up in a progressive but inclusive manner. 

Yes, I do like women. They have everything a man does not have. My experience with talented women over a long time tells me that they have no time for boys big noting, [censored], networking and pretence. They have much greater empathy, emotional intelligence, and practical minds. They are better balanced, more mature and worldly. They do not resort to alcohol and pats on the back. 

Yeah, I like them a lot. In fact, I admire them. 

Kate is a great appointment and something we should be proud to endorse. 

Of course, there are exceptions but less than men. 

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Unleash Hell said:

Run down would be a better description

I hope he is okay. 

I had a conversation with him two years ago and he seemed not only a nice guy but a fully committed Demon. His enthusiasm for the club was noticeable. 

Would agree with the assessments on Bartlett. Easily the best club president of my time in that for the bulk of his tenure he has lived up to the Paul Roos maxim on football boards: the best boards are professional, united and silent (I think that was the quote). 
Sure, there were occasional brain farts here and there (the New York Yankees quote, the comments after the Port game, not talking to PJ before appointing Pert), but this is the first transition I can remember since 1996 where there hasn’t been an ongoing slanging match between the incoming and outgoing parties, or there was some type of bewildering fiasco or financial meltdown. 
For that alone, he deserves credit. A healthy balance sheet and a considerably better product on field gives Bartlett the guernsey for best president of my time so far. 👍🏻

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert
Is for was in second last paragraph
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, Flag 2021 said:

Glen Bartlett has done a terrific job in a demanding role.

Thank you for a job well done, Mr. Bartlett. You have improved our club enormously in your eight years at the helm.

Totally agree.

Thanks for your service Mr Bartlett

1 hour ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Would agree with the assessments on Bartlett. Easily the best club president of my time in that for the bulk of his tenure he has lived up to the Paul Roos maxim on football boards: the best boards are professional, united and silent (I think that was the quote). 
Sure, there were occasional brain farts here and there (the New York Yankees quote, the comments after the Port game, not talking to PJ before appointing Pert), but this is the first transition I can remember since 1996 where there hasn’t been an ongoing slanging match between the incoming and outgoing parties, or there was some type of bewildering fiasco or financial meltdown. 
For that alone, he deserves credit. A healthy balance sheet and a considerably better product on field gives Bartlett the guernsey for best president of my time so far. 👍🏻

Almost perfect summary there CF.

I would add his silly boycott of Caroline Wilson for her critical comments but generally has been a pretty decent Chairman.

15 hours ago, hemingway said:

The appointment of a talented women with a range of skills, experiences and achievements has to be a good thing. 

She will not be spoken down to in a paternalistic manner and hopefully will shake things up in a progressive but inclusive manner. 

Yes, I do like women. They have everything a man does not have. My experience with talented women over a long time tells me that they have no time for boys big noting, [censored], networking and pretence. They have much greater empathy, emotional intelligence, and practical minds. They are better balanced, more mature and worldly. They do not resort to alcohol and pats on the back. 

Yeah, I like them a lot. In fact, I admire them. 

Kate is a great appointment and something we should be proud to endorse. 

Of course, there are exceptions but less than men. 

I have said in the past. The parliament needs 60% women to 40% men. Woman are the glue in our society. They get things done 

5 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Sure, there were occasional brain farts here and there (the New York Yankees quote, the comments after the Port game, not talking to PJ before appointing Pert), 

I loved his comments after that particular debacle and I loved his scathing comments during his B & F speech re: missing finals.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, rpfc said:

Honestly, some of you blokes don’t get it. What questions do you think the first female pres of the oldest club is going to get? What answers to those questions should she give? Of course she gives a shut about equality - we all should. A bloke would never get that question.

And how some on here react? “I hope she cares about winning!1!1!1”

And if you are trying to gauge you’re own reaction - look who you have a like from - that should be some insight into inanity.

I am an old bloke I get it rpfc. However it does appear difficult for some.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I loved his comments after that particular debacle and I loved his scathing comments during his B & F speech re: missing finals.

I agree. There are times for tough reactions. 
the Team deserved it after the Port Game

• Like 1