Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 04 vs Geelong

Demonland

No changes to a winning team please. Assuming that all current players are fresh and can run out the game. The team is playing with confidence and each player is fulfilling a role. The possible ins are all short of a gallop. I would rather see game time being given to young guys like Sparrow, Jordan and Rivers. They are the future and the players best placed to deliver success over the next 5 years. Players like Milky and Hibbo will play some role but they are not the future. Nev and Nathan are currently playing ok and should be retained until form drops and possible replacements are knocking down the door. 

But don’t mess with a winning combination. Things may change after Sunday but let’s wait and see. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, hemingway said:

No changes to a winning team please. Assuming that all current players are fresh and can run out the game. The team is playing with confidence and each player is fulfilling a role. The possible ins are all short of a gallop. I would rather see game time being given to young guys like Sparrow, Jordan and Rivers. They are the future and the players best placed to deliver success over the next 5 years. Players like Milky and Hibbo will play some role but they are not the future. Nev and Nathan are currently playing ok and should be retained until form drops and possible replacements are knocking down the door. 

But don’t mess with a winning combination. Things may change after Sunday but let’s wait and see. 

Sort of agree, but we have to keep turning/blending players through, for all sorts of reasons. I'm thinking that the top sides like WC and Tig continually fed players through right up until GF, and successfully too.

I can under stand the two big fellas not yet but choices like Melksham and Hibbert should be really about hardness/experience in and around the contest, and late changes are worth the points These two would be sniffing the end of the year with every step.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Sort of agree, but we have to keep turning/blending players through, for all sorts of reasons. I'm thinking that the top sides like WC and Tig continually fed players through right up until GF, and successfully too.

I can under stand the two big fellas not yet but choices like Melksham and Hibbert should be really about hardness/experience in and around the contest, and late changes are worth the points These two would be sniffing the end of the year with every step.

Thanks for that. Good point regarding other teams. 

Agree with comment about Hibbo but not Milky who despite his silky disposal skills and ability to slot some great goals, does not do enough in and around the contest. He is no gut runner and goes missing far too often. It was a problem at Essendon and why many Bomber supporters were happy to see him go. 

Sometimes players like Melksham or Hibberd need to win back their spots on the team after just cruising for the last couple of years and that their spot on the list is in jeopardy they will do the hard yards to win back respect from their teammates.

I believe the current teams needs Harmes, Hibberd, Melksham, Brown Vanbenberg and Weideman capturing their best form then we are a chance to win the ultimate team prize in football.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, durango said:

Sometimes players like Melksham or Hibberd need to win back their spots on the team after just cruising for the last couple of years and that their spot on the list is in jeopardy they will do the hard yards to win back respect from their teammates.

I believe the current teams needs Harmes, Hibberd, Melksham, Brown Vanbenberg and Weideman capturing their best form then we are a chance to win the ultimate team prize in football.

I doubt Vandeberg will play another game, he doesn't fit in anywhere.   Harmes will ruin our midfield mix and he cant play anywhere else.

The other 4 guys up and running would be a big boost for sure.

• Like 2

I think we'll go in unchanged, but could certainly understand if they bring in Melksham, for 2 reasons. The first is that Geelong have been troubled all year and that's without facing teams that have the manic small forward pressure we have - ANB, Kossie, Sparrow, Spargo and Jones - so there would be a thought around needing as many smalls in this game, which leads into the second. 

Potentially we might like to go slightly taller - Melksham - to see how the forward line will operate when BBB and Weid come in (I know he's not huge, but plays more like a tall than a small). I think we'll pay all of BBB, Weid and LJ in the same team, along with Fritta and 4 of those smalls listed above, so they might be tempted to see if it works? I'd be tempted to throw Melksham on Steward all game, as he's there most creative backman, who gives them the most drive. 

Can’t ever remember Melksham applying a lot of pressure, which seems to have been our big jump forward this year, and our salvation when we have had a run against us.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Josh said:

I agree this is the real dilemma. Brown in for McDonald seems likely but listen info to Gus n Gawny joke about the wingers club there is no McDonald. 

And then there Weideman. He and Jackson competing for the same spot. At this stage Weideman probably beings more as a foward but Jackson is improving each week and brings more in the ruck. 

There is zero chance Jackson will get dropped. 

Wed is competing with Tmac for spot. And Tmac has the advantage of being the incumbent. 

I really hope Weed goes up a level this season. He has the talent. But if he is at the level he was last year i'd have Tmac ahead of him ATM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

I doubt Vandeberg will play another game, he doesn't fit in anywhere.   Harmes will ruin our midfield mix and he cant play anywhere else.

The other 4 guys up and running would be a big boost for sure.

Viney, ANB & Jones have shown great maturity in adapting their game and cleaning up their decision making and disposal. Hard to know what was round 1 cobwebs, but it would appear Harmes is still the bee to a honeypot, poor decision maker we can ill afford to take into games against contenders unless he adapts like the others. 

Additional edit: He's decent depth, but with the need to constantly replenish our youth year by year, I wonder if he could get us another pick from a club like North, who will be desperate to add 25-28 years olds come end of year, like Gold Coast did, when they realise they've gone too far in stripping their list of mature bodies

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Grimes Times said:

Im not sure how Jones has gone form fringe last year to best 22 this year. Hes slow, adds no pressure, and is playing for himself with little team first actions.  Has burnt free team mates in better positions every game and has instead gone for the glory shot from 50 and missed each time. I agree he'll more than likely get picked but Id play Melky in front of him. Both offer no pressure but at least Melky can hit a target and kick straight. Hibbo comes in to get 2 games match practice before he tags Dusty out of the game ANZAC eve.

That's an astue observation.

He's clearly fluked the 300 odd games we've given him so far and his selfishness shows out when he seeks glory all day long on the park .

Not only that,the contracts he signed when we were wooden spooners nearly every year when could have gone to any other club show what an annoying glory hunter he is .

To top it off ,the fact that Jones is in the best shape physically for ages means he should be dropped for Melksham who always plays for the jumper.

We dont need Jones taking shots for goal (and getting them) just to show off and feed his own ego beacause clearly he just plays to feed his own ego.

Tired of Jones burning team mates and disrespecting the club.

Time we dumped him while he is playing well just to show what we think of his attitude.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

50 minutes ago, binman said:

There is zero chance Jackson will get dropped. 

Wed is competing with Tmac for spot. And Tmac has the advantage of being the incumbent. 

I really hope Weed goes up a level this season. He has the talent. But if he is at the level he was last year i'd have Tmac ahead of him ATM.

So T-Mac and Weid fighting for same spot, who is dropped out of the weekends side for Brown? 

6 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I think we'll go in unchanged, but could certainly understand if they bring in Melksham, for 2 reasons. The first is that Geelong have been troubled all year and that's without facing teams that have the manic small forward pressure we have - ANB, Kossie, Sparrow, Spargo and Jones - so there would be a thought around needing as many smalls in this game, which leads into the second. 

Potentially we might like to go slightly taller - Melksham - to see how the forward line will operate when BBB and Weid come in (I know he's not huge, but plays more like a tall than a small). I think we'll pay all of BBB, Weid and LJ in the same team, along with Fritta and 4 of those smalls listed above, so they might be tempted to see if it works? I'd be tempted to throw Melksham on Steward all game, as he's there most creative backman, who gives them the most drive. 

Like your second point, in particular. Occupy Steward with Melksham as much as possible, enabling our other forwards to splash about in the happiness pool at various depths of competitive anihilation. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Josh said:

So T-Mac and Weid fighting for same spot, who is dropped out of the weekends side for Brown? 

The only way the Weid gets in is thought injury or very good form at Casey. He is not an automatic selection. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grimes Times said:

Im not sure how Jones has gone form fringe last year to best 22 this year. Hes slow, adds no pressure, and is playing for himself with little team first actions.  Has burnt free team mates in better positions every game and has instead gone for the glory shot from 50 and missed each time. I agree he'll more than likely get picked but Id play Melky in front of him. Both offer no pressure but at least Melky can hit a target and kick straight. Hibbo comes in to get 2 games match practice before he tags Dusty out of the game ANZAC eve.

geez that's harsh on jones

some of his i50 passing - i can think of one to jackson in particular - has been first rate

If Melksham plays it is a deesgrace!! no form! all players at present doing their part NO CHANGE

and JONES STAYS IMO

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2021 at 5:27 PM, binman said:

Fair point.

The coaches may well feel they can't have someone with melksham's talent sitting on the pine.

If they do pick him he better improve his pressure on last year's insipid level

Yep. Absolutely no reason to believe Melksham will bother putting any pressure on.

This is why Sparrow stays - you reward team-first behaviours. He's doing everything right at the moment. Not everyone needs to get their hands on the ball to be effective.

• Like 1

VFL side named:

Rosman MBrown Lockhart

HB Hibberd JSmith White

Baker Munro Petty

HF Chandler Weideman Bowey

FF DSmith BBrown Bedford

Daw vandenBerg Bradtke

IC Laurie Foot Quigley Lewis Freeman Grey

E Sparks Ellison

so by my maths melky is the carryover and only pissible change/sub

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Turner said:

VFL side named:

Rosman MBrown Lockhart

HB Hibberd JSmith White

Baker Munro Petty

HF Chandler Weideman Bowey

FF DSmith BBrown Bedford

Daw vandenBerg Bradtke

IC Laurie Foot Quigley Lewis Freeman Grey

E Sparks Ellison

so by my maths melky is the carryover and only pissible change/sub

Might be the strongest Casey team ever assembled.  A thing of beauty to see Weid and B Brown there.

I love Petty on the wing and Bradtke as a rover  :)

Edited by Pickett2Jackson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Might be the strongest Casey team ever assembled.  A thing of beauty to see Weid and B Brown there.

I love Petty on the wing and Bradtke as a rover  :)

Can we take them all to Tassie against Norf, and give our seniors a rest that week? 

• Haha 1