Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 04 vs Geelong

Demonland

3 minutes ago, siam juntaRus said:

Much better you dominate the chatter than the missus ,right!  Outstanding.

Just read that Geelong coach Chris Scott has a  twin brother who works for the AFL...WTF!!!!!

Thats a conflict of interest if ever there was one.. Somebody told me here in BKK that Geelong have an annual shindig with the umps.????

WTF is going on. Maybe Dangerfield and Selwood wash all the AFL cars on weekdays.

Could THAT be the source of the incriminating photos?...it all makes sense now.

The only player who I thought was average and didn't contribute much within his role even was Tmac. Besides his inside 50 tackles being a game high and competing in the air at times I thought he struggled to be effective in this one. I'm sure a great contributing factor was the way the game was played. Opposition flooding the forward line is always going to make a key talls day really difficult but I would have liked to see more of him leading up at the ball across half forward like Petracca does so well when he's down there. He still lacks intensity and that one grab marking ability he showed a few years back. So often is first to it in the air but fumbles it with hard hands. Didn't love the one hand attempt running back with the flight needs to be tougher in those situations.

Anyway clearly he stays in as the best fit tall option in the side and looks to bring more of how he played against the saints.

Edited by Yung Blood
  • Like 2

Obviously a great start to the season but more relieved we won against the Giants on the weekend than anything. Our game didn't inspire great confidence. And I think we got incredibly lucky that the Giants had three down most of the game.

That's not to say there weren't things to like, I think we've addressed some of our issues. That can be seen from the first three weeks. Defence looks strong, setup behind the ball and we have a great blend back there. Max and Jacko look great in tandem. Our midfield are strong and we look hungry and our effort and intensity for the most part can't be questioned.

Geelong is a huge test even without some of those names they'll be missing. Scott is a great tactical coach and I can tell you now that we will not kick a winning score if we enter inside 50 the way we did against the Giants. It will be a field day for the Geelong talls if so. 

Too many times I witnessed Tom Mac, Fritsch and either Gawn or Jackson all way too close together, competing for a kick coming in. Tmac in my eyes was back to his worst on Sunday night. I don't care that he managed to make a few tackles. His leading patterns were absolutely appaling which is why we moved him higher up the ground in the end. He and Fritsch were constantly in each others way and there was always space, usually on the fat-side that Tom should have been leading to.

I think the addition of Pickett and the form and pressure of Spargo, ANB and Sparrow has helped bandaid some of this but this week against a tall, experienced and well drilled defence, we're going to need to either make some selection change or we simply must enter in a different fashion. 

It doesn't help that some of the ball use coming in was poor again. Hunt is killing us with his use which makes his run and carry less impressive and vital. We had many many opportunities to keep using short hit up targets when we were in possession say 80 metres out and we should have honoured those short hit ups to allow continued movement and allowing leading lanes to open up. We must get better at this if we're any chance to challenge the better sides.

Yes we've had three wins on the trot but I believe change is necessary coming into this week. The G is a huge ground and against Geelong, our ability to to hit targets going forward simply has to be much better. I think Melksham needs a game this week and I think supporters have this weird fixed view that he simply won't chase, tackle or harass. Why? He is a natural forward who leads to the right spots, works well with T Mac in that space and adds polish to our side. 

Sparrow has been great defensively, but we need better offensive drive. We have enough defensive weaponry and pressure imo with ANB, Spargo and Pickett. And sure, if he is poor defensively then Sparrow comes back but this season is long and this is a horses for courses game at times.

The other change I'd make is Hibberd for Jetta. Jetta's lack of pace scares me to end on the G and with Miers, Dahlhaus, Fogarty and perhaps one other small nippy forward, Hibberd is better suited. I think his drive and penetration with his kicking is necessary this weekend and I don't the Nev's form is amazing atm.

Melkasham for Sparrow. (Sparrow very stiff).

Hibberd for Jetta.

T-Mac one more chance to redeem and Gawn to float more forward than back.

Edited by JimmyGadson
  • Like 4

Why all the hate for Tmac? 

I get that he had a down day, but I back him to bounce back - he's a hard worker and I think the coaching staff would be in his ear giving him some pointers. 

I'm going to back him to bounce back this week. 

P.S - Tmac is a way better option than Daw (can't believe some are calling for Daw over Tmac) 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Yung Blood said:

The only player who I thought was average and didn't contribute much within his role even was Tmac. Besides his inside 50 tackles being a game high and competing in the air at times I thought he struggled to be effective in this one. I'm sure a great contributing factor was the way the game was played. Opposition flooding the forward line is always going to make a key talls day really difficult but I would have liked to see more of him leading up at the ball across half forward like Petracca does so well when he's down there. He still lacks intensity and that one grab marking ability he showed a few years back. So often is first to it in the air but fumbles it with hard hands. Didn't love the one hand attempt running back with the flight needs to be tougher in those situations.

Anyway clearly he stays in as the best fit tall option in the side and looks to bring more of how he played against the saints.

I still worry about his craft. He seems to misread the flight of the ball slightly quite a bit, runs under it a little and has to over-extend to fetch it. Or else the ball hits the tips of his fingers and doesn’t stick.

He was great the first 2 weeks so deserves another go but he’ll struggle to keep his spot unless he consistently clunks those marks. It’ll tough again for him this week against the cats. Let’s see how he goes.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 12:02 AM, Fanatique Demon said:

Jones is a polarising figure on here. I thought he was ok today, and at least better than in the first two rounds. On the votes thread, someone included him in our best six. Meanwhile, others are saying drop him now or let him get to 300 and retire. Proving once again, you can’t please all the people all the time.  

Yep, Jonesy still does some things well but he's limited. Both sides of the coin are valid. Most people criticising him here have been fair and those singing his praises also make good points.

It depends on what you're willing to accept. For example, he can tackle well on the inside but he's not chasing and harrassing once the ball gets outside. He has to use his smarts to get himself to good positions and I think he does that. You either accept that or you don't - both options are valid and every team has a player or two for whom this choice has to be made.

I still think that, right now, he just sits inside our best 22 and his experience is more valuable than many give him credit for. He can't afford a poor game though - that's where he's at and he knows it.

Edited by Cheesy D. Pun

27 minutes ago, MF-C said:

Tmac is a way better option than Daw (can't believe some are calling for Daw over Tmac) 

Agree wholeheartedly. Barring an injury crisis, I don't think Daw will play a game for the Dees.

21 hours ago, dee-tox said:

One thing I have noticed with Sparrow is his willingness to shepherd, block, tackle and do the one percenters. 

Any replacement in the midfield needs to do the same.

When it's not done often enough in a Team it stands out, and good teams really use/ value it.

41 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

I still worry about his craft. He seems to misread the flight of the ball slightly quite a bit, runs under it a little and has to over-extend to fetch it. Or else the ball hits the tips of his fingers and doesn’t stick.

He was great the first 2 weeks so deserves another go but he’ll struggle to keep his spot unless he consistently clunks those marks. It’ll tough again for him this week against the cats. Let’s see how he goes.

But is that his mistake or the fault of the player who kicked it?

• Like 1

Could someone talk to the Umpires about the preferential treatment that's give to their Full Forward, i have forgotten his name.

Like why is he the only one in the AFL that is allowed to take steps in either direction, when he is on the mark, and play on has not been called ?

Why is he the only one that is allowed to push people in the back indiscriminately during play? 

Why is he, like other Geelong players allowed to abuse the umpires and then carry out conversations as though being counselled like children?

What is it between Geelong and  Umpires although some interesting pictures in the Hawthorn Game just before the end there...

1 hour ago, Yung Blood said:

The only player who I thought was average and didn't contribute much within his role even was Tmac. Besides his inside 50 tackles being a game high and competing in the air at times I thought he struggled to be effective in this one.

I agree that if all were fit he would be behind Brown and probably Weid to... but in the meantime, competing in the air and on the ground is exactly what he has to do to stay in the team.  I don't think he'll ever get back to his 2018 form but he has still been very useful this year and would benefit greatly from another target in attack (hence why Gawn is up there a bit).

• Like 1

From the AFL site:

melbourne.jpg?width=500

The Demons are rolling and enter this weekend's clash with the Cats full of form and momentum. Therefore, don't expect many changes. The side has liked to rotate their medical substitutes, especially given they are yet to use one after three weeks, so Jake Melksham could either come into the 22 or play VFL to get some footy under his belt. Jay Lockhart is also on the cusp of a return after suffering a nasty [censored] injury. Tom Sparrow was relatively quiet against the Giants, but don't expect Simon Goodwin to make too many alterations to a winning formula.

R3 medical sub: Jake Melksham (unused)

Verdict: Melksham to get his first taste of senior footy this year, replacing Sparrow. - Riley Beveridge

geelong.jpg?width=500

Will Mark O'Connor tag for a third consecutive week and go to Melbourne's Christian Petracca on Sunday? Should he instead return to the backline, a defensive teammate may have to fall out if Jack Henry isn't used as a forward again. The Cats are set to be forced into two changes with Shaun Higgins (hamstring) and Francis Evans (ankle) injured. Luke Dahlhaus was again quiet against the Hawks, but debutant Max Holmes looked up to the level. Sam Menegola (shoulder) is in to return and Brad Close is edging towards a recall after a pre-season foot setback. Medical sub Charlie Constable impressed when given the chance but wasn't used much after half-time. Josh Jenkins and Ben Jarvis remain around the mark after five and four goals respectively a fortnight ago in the VFL.

R3 medical sub: Charlie Constable (replaced Evans)

Verdict: Jenkins as an extra marking target alongside Menegola and Close in place of Higgins, Evans and Dahlhaus. - Mitch Cleary

1 hour ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

Yep, Jonesy still does some things well but he's limited. Both sides of the coin are valid. Most people criticising him here have been fair and those singing his praises also make good points.

It depends on what you're willing to accept. For example, he can tackle well on the inside but he's not chasing and harrassing once the ball gets outside. He has to use his smarts to get himself to good positions and I think he does that. You either accept that or you don't - both options are valid and every team has a player or two for whom this choice has to be made.

I still think that, right now, he just sits inside our best 22 and his experience is more valuable than many give him credit for. He can't afford a poor game though - that's where he's at and he knows it.

I dare say he is the one fringe player that could afford a poor game. There's almost no chance the club he's been a loyal part of and sacrificed for 15 years strand him on 298 or 299 games.  Beyond that, his spot is up for grabs agree. 

20 minutes ago, binman said:

[censored] is a banned word on DL? 

Bloody woke, PC police, cancel culture, vitrtue signalers!!!

was the word cockerel?

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SPC said:

What happened to the other listed MFC AFL players over the weekend that didn’t play? Any game? Practice match or otherwise to gauge form from. 

As far as I know zero. Perhaps a training session?

• Like 1