• Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

• Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

2 hours ago, Chook said:

That was actually Nick Dal Santo in the boundary rider role. Montagna was calling the play, and did a serviceable job of it.

Montagna is a good caller. He has jumped in very smoothly 

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nobody will talk about Jackson given Kosi's genius, but seriously how good is he? Some of his pickups were akin to Pendlebury in his prime not a ruckman in his second year. Going to be very very good

Wow. You are a sad individual.

We’re coming off 2 terrible seasons & we win our first 3 games by double digits each time & you’ve got people on this forum complaining lol

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Montagna is a good caller. He gas jumped in very smoothly 

Montagna was the one that called Neal Bullen 'Neale' like Lachie Neale at the end of the third quarter!

But generally provides decent insights into the game.

10 hours ago, Better days ahead said:

Elocution lessons?? Her diction is fine.

You've spent too long in France mate. The French snobbishness is rubbing off on you.

You mean her diction is FOIN?

it’s true the French are particular about how they speak. I am too, and always have been.

Clearly you and I have different standards, but that’s ok. What would a forum be if we all just agreed?

2 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Geelong is on record as having brutally honest conversations with each other, it was the catalyst for Gary Albett Jnr rise from being a good player to one of the greats. If we’re having/had similar type dialogue over the years and the players still aren’t getting it why not try something different. 
As for your second paragraph I think you’ve missed my point.

Nope, haven't missed your point at all.

I completely understand what you're saying.

You are just saying something ridiculous.

Again: signing the song does not stop us from having "brutally honest conversations", nor does it stop us from analysing our performance, critiquing it, learning from it, demanding improvement.

You are arguing that we shouldn't sing the song so that we can focus instead on getting better. The necessary implication is that we can't improve on that performance if we choose to sing the song.

It's ridiculous.

Demand improvement, sure, but don't do it in a ridiculous way like this.

• Like 2

I am going to be ‘that person’ in this convo about Kelli Underwoood - I thought she was fine and try to put yourself in her shoes when it comes to ‘her voice’ - it is not something she can change and it is very close to something that is inherent to her being female. 

So I don’t give a shut that your grievances have ‘nothing to do with that, m8!’ - just think twice about shutting on people.

rp out

• Like 4

Rp back in

Saw this one live and the Giants were up and about and we were coming even when they had their 22 up and about. Oliver fought hard, TMac is back to cinder blocks and Jackson is a jet from what I can see.

Our drive from the back means we can win in multiple ways and not just through clearances, but with that game comes risk and daring and quick movement and not just the obligatory epithet that rings around the members; ‘kick it!1!!!1!’

All in all - excited and hopeful and Pickett is pretty good.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

There's a bit of chatter about the commentary team we had last night but I thought they did an ok job of calling the game, unlike their rivals at Ch7 who forever meander off into side topics or inhouse banter that have nothing to do with what's happening on the ground. Also I can't remember when someone last took the field that wasn't a champion, legend or star of the competition. 

Underwood lost me at the start of the game with the chummy banter about being surprised Mumford wasn't playing because he was "the enforcer". Dermie was having a good giggle too. The man is a thug. Why do they make heroes of these blokes? The commentators should know better. They didn't even have to mention him. 

I watched the game without listening closely to the commentary after that. Nothing they could say would have been of interest to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Geelong is on record as having brutally honest conversations with each other, it was the catalyst for Gary Albett Jnr rise from being a good player to one of the greats. If we’re having/had similar type dialogue over the years and the players still aren’t getting it why not try something different. 
As for your second paragraph I think you’ve missed my point.

Mate, all  teams for years have been doing those conversations, its not revolutionary, week in, week out, disectting your errors, looking at 'vision' - they're all versions of honesty...brutal or otherwise, and they don't always create change.

By the way...what aren't the players getting?

Fun fact... AFL coaching staff often ask a player in front of others in his group when reviewing vision, 'why did you do that x behaviour'... player will then clam up and not want to embarrass oneself, or shame oneself when not following 'team rules'.

So brutally honest conversations, aren't always of benefit... 

I saw a meme the other day online about 'what seems ridiculous as an adult, looking back at your school'

One of the responses was, -  Getting hot and sweaty, running a cross country in your PE clothes, with all your mates cheering you on...and then 5 minutes after its finished...going back to the class room to learn about algebra in sweaty clothes.

Ostensibly, I'm saying that the best time to do a post hoc analysis on your performance, isn't directly after you've worked your [censored] off and fatigued when playing a match for 2 hours...

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Redleg said:

My whipping boy ANB has played well so far this year and good on him and I hope it continues for him and us.

"Nibbler's dribbler" was a great way to get things started a minute into the game.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Gawn is the best footballer in the league and Kossie is the most exciting player in the league. Hunt's best game ever and Viney and Brayshaw were brilliant when things weren't actually going our way. I'm excited with the way the teams going I think it is our best chance of winning the flag since 1998.

Good pickup. Both rolled up the sleeves and grafted hard until we could start getting the game back on our terms

• Like 3
12 hours ago, John Crow Batty said:

We are 3-0 and our opposition so far is 2-7. The jury is still out whether we are the real deal but no one can complain about the 12 points. Big scalps on offer coming soon.

If you take out the 3 losses against us our oppo are 2-4 then if you remove the games they've played against each other they're 0-2. Hardly a large enough sample size to draw anything from.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dee-tox said:

Montagna was the one that called Neal Bullen 'Neale' like Lachie Neale at the end of the third quarter!

But generally provides decent insights into the game.

Missed that one!!

On 4/4/2021 at 9:34 PM, Deestar9 said:

Ridiculous comment ...you play who is out there ...they kicked some “arsey” goals & if we had kicked some extremely “gettable” goals in the first qrt ...we would have been well in control before their injuries hit. 

You are fooling yourself if you think we played a complete game. Last quarter I wasn't worried because GWS were cooked. We still have a fragile group and our backline wasn't as solid as it can be. The cross field hospital passes, wtf, flat kicks give the opposition less time to intercept. Maybe the new balls and plastic boots have made it harder to do stab passes since I last played...idk

The Geelong game next week worries me.

Happy to be 3-0, if Goodwin says last night was controlled and running to plan, ok. I don't want to hear a single player say they weren't prepared against Geelong.

3 hours ago, A F said:

I would have thought that was more his uncle. All I recall Long doing was lining up an unsuspecting Troy Simmonds.  

That was in 2000 but when he first came on the scene in 1990 his tackling was a key feature of his game.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Nasher said:

Imagine if a team ever actually did just stand in the circle and talk some “truths” after a win. What a barrel of laughs those rooms would be.

I want to see that. Not our team, but I want to see it.

• Haha 2
18 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

No I didn’t listen to his press conference, I will later on today.

As I said on the previous page, yes we fought back but with our possessions and entries inside fifty we couldn’t put them away due to the way we brought the ball in and numerous missed set shots. We only really kicked away in the last when we run over the top of them. When we did lower our highs and hit up players like Fritsch we hit the scoreboard.

Put aside our forward fifty entries and some of our sets shots, the main concern for me was that we weren’t switched on early. The question I ask is why? Why weren’t we, as you’ve said we knew the Giants would come hard for us and they did. I believe had they not had their injuries we may have lost that game., we’ll never know. Early in the last it was back to under ten points. My suggestion was obviously shot down by the majority on here and that’s fine, I’m ok with that. But the question/s I put to you and everyone else who didn’t like my idea is, what’s the worst that could come out of the players not singing the club song after one game, instead going behind closed doors and speaking openly and honestly about why we weren’t switched and how if this doesn’t change there could well be a different result next time. Now compare that to what the positives could be if that was to happen. Someone has already suggested why does this have to be in place of the team song, why not after. Because I believe doing it then, while it’s fresh would have the greatest impact. I would also state that this should remain private, kick any non essential people out, close the doors and have a chat. When asked by the media what’s happening simply state the boy’s decided not to sing the instead they wanted to discuss key areas of the game in private. Also what other suggestions does anyone have as to why this keeps happening and how to fix it. Whatever we’ve been trying in recent years obviously hasn’t worked so why not try something different?

I acknowledge we arrested momentum last night as we did against the Saints but another theme across the last three weeks has been our disposal/entries inside fifty and our inaccuracy.

I did enjoy last nights win, I spent the majority of the game on the couch but as always when I’m watching from home I spend parts of the game standing. Like any win you take the points and move on, I acknowledge that the coaching staff are aware of the issue and that other areas of our game have dramatically improved but we can work on more than one part of our game at a time. I am like you and many others in that this team is a massive part of our lives during the footy season. I crave what we all do and that is sustained success, multiple premierships.

And yes the players you mention are all very exciting to watch, Kozi by far the standout, for a kid who’s only played 17 games he will continue to excite us for years to come (I remember sitting level 2 Punt Rd End when Aaron Davey appeared on the scene).

In my view, confidence and momentum are two of the most important variables in footy. I’d rather our team celebrate the wins and build that belief from earlier in the season and see where that carries them, than disallow the team to sing the song after a win and take the overly negative view.

That doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be an honest review of areas to improve, and a focus on remedial action during the week. I just think the psychology of belief is powerful and we should let the good times roll in that regard.

Might also help us to get a couple of important players to ink new deals.

• Like 3

On 4/4/2021 at 9:02 PM, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Wins are wins. Tough Oppo coming up now though

Geelong aren’t a strong outfit. Especially without dangerfield. Dees will win by 5 goals 

31 minutes ago, bandicoot said:

Geelong aren’t a strong outfit. Especially without dangerfield. Dees will win by 5 goals 

Higgins also out with a hammy

• Like 1

Last 2 years have highlighted our dysfunctional forward line especially our lack of crumbers.

Aside from the love for Kozzie, Anb and Spargo are starting to make a significant contribution  especially their tackling.

Anbs first goal was a ripper. Spargo works very hard.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Youngwilliam said:

You are fooling yourself if you think we played a complete game. Last quarter I wasn't worried because GWS were cooked. We still have a fragile group and our backline wasn't as solid as it can be. The cross field hospital passes, wtf, flat kicks give the opposition less time to intercept. Maybe the new balls and plastic boots have made it harder to do stab passes since I last played...idk

The Geelong game next week worries me.

Happy to be 3-0, if Goodwin says last night was controlled and running to plan, ok. I don't want to hear a single player say they weren't prepared against Geelong.

Not sure I stated anywhere that we “ played a complete game”. We are a long way from our full potential which is exciting. We also fielded 5 players with very limited AFL experience but with enormous upside. My point was enjoy the wins ..we all know we have huge challenges ahead but I believe the team has enormous upside. The difference to me was even though we are not yet playing our best...there is a maturity there that hasn’t been seen before. I agree with a comment that Nick Riewoldt said...with the game as it is today.. you only have to be a little off & teams whether they’re well below or above you will run over you. So maybe don’t expect us to be playing our very best footy 3 games in. It will evolve!!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Deestar9 said:

Not sure I stated anywhere that we “ played a complete game”. We are a long way from our full potential which is exciting. We also fielded 5 players with very limited AFL experience but with enormous upside. My point was enjoy the wins ..we all know we have huge challenges ahead but I believe the team has enormous upside. The difference to me was even though we are not yet playing our best...there is a maturity there that hasn’t been seen before. I agree with a comment that Nick Riewoldt said...with the game as it is today.. you only have to be a little off & teams whether they’re well below or above you will run over you. So maybe don’t expect us to be playing our very best footy 3 games in. It will evolve!!

It was the 1 percenters that worried me most and why I said GWS wanted it more. The smothers, the hard ball gets, GWS were just better with 75 to 40. Yes we shouldn't be playing finals football now but the team shouldn't be going into a game against someone lower on the ladder thinking they only need to turn up.

• Like 1