Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final 2021      

  • Podcast: Grand Final      

NON MFC: Rd 03 2021



Recommended Posts


4 hours ago, godees said:

Pat Lipinski dropped by the dogs. We must go after him

couldnt agree more, plays the wing really well and across half forward 

Round 1: 26 touches, 9K17H not great but 96% efficiency (1 turnover) 62% of touches in offensive half

Round 2: 2- touches, much better 10K10H still 85% eff, 61% defensive half 

very complete player just being squeezed out due to strength of depth with mclean to return next year too

3 hours ago, Ollie fan said:

How on earth did Harris Andrew’s beat Steven May for AA last year??!!

should never have made it purely on the basis that he looks like a bloody bald elf! biggest ears in the history of afl?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

while laitham vandermeer might be of interest to us - cracker name that he has - hes just one of a couple of other footscray players out of contract i like the look of of:

  • ed richards
  • laitham vandermeer
  • cody weightman
  • pastrick lipinski
  • roarke smith

also very interested to see what they do with jason johanissen, who is back for his first game this season this week after stewing in the practices matches for the magoos for the opening two rounds of the afl season

he's only 28, 29 at the start of 2022, with one year remaining on his contract

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

while laitham vandermeer might be of interest to us - cracker name that he has - hes just one of a couple of other footscray players out of contract i like the look of of:

  • ed richards
  • laitham vandermeer
  • cody weightman
  • pastrick lipinski
  • roarke smith

also very interested to see what they do with jason johanissen, who is back for his first game this season this week after stewing in the practices matches for the magoos for the opening two rounds of the afl season

he's only 28, 29 at the start of 2022, with one year remaining on his contract

Not so much keen on Smith but the rest are interesting prospects.  Wonder if our interest in Weightman from his draft year remains. Ash and Stephens from the same draft are also unsigned thus far and ones to keep tabs on as well, although their cost would be quite high. Pretty sure someone here mentioned Ash had itchy feet and was considering a move from GWS already, hopefully there is some truth to that.

Edited by Nascent
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Not so much keen on Smith but the rest are interesting prospects.  Wonder if our interest in Weightman from his draft year remains. Ash and Stephens from the same draft are also unsigned thus far and ones to keep tabs on as well, although their cost would be quite high. Pretty sure someone here mentioned Ash had itchy feet and was considering a move from GWS already, hopefully there is some truth to that.

Surprised Stepho isn’t getting a game. He’d be a great get, at least on paper 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

be interesting to see what figjam does at the end of the year

in every interview and press conference for the past couple of years he's look exhausted 

he clearly can coach but he looks completely over it

Carro the font of all gossip reckon he'll go into the media.
And why not .... Big coin and only show up for work 6mths of the year for 2-3 days a week.
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brisbane’s season was on the line, 4 goals down and playing poorly. I thought they were gone. Huge win for them

The positive for mine from watching these opening rounds and looking at the Lions, Pies, Geelong, Carlton etc. is that they are all beatable. The Dees have nothing to fear from any of them. We maintain our form and add in BB, maybe Weid and start kicking straight then no reason why a Top 4 spot isn’t right there for the taking.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yep ..theres only 1 thing better than beating Collingwood...and thats beating them by a point !

There is one thing better than that! beating them by one point....after the siren

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Better days ahead said:

The positive for mine from watching these opening rounds and looking at the Lions, Pies, Geelong, Carlton etc. is that they are all beatable. The Dees have nothing to fear from any of them. 

I think we'd find it tough to get over the line to Tiges or Port though. 

Still, could catch them on a bad day in a final....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, The Lobster Effect said:

I think we'd find it tough to get over the line to Tiges or Port though. 

Still, could catch them on a bad day in a final....

Agree Tigers and Port will be tough to beat. doggies as well. west coast in perth

But i reckon we can win enough games to be Top 4. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

Brodie Grundy had 54 hitouts ...

Brisbane’s ruck, Tom Fullarton, had three.

Collingwood only won the clearances by five.

An interesting stat isnt it. For some odd reason I watched Buckley in his post match interview,  and he was asked all about this. Mentioned Gawn a couple of times in his response saying dominant rucks are  easy for the opposition to nullify or counter. Pointed out the real advantage they were looking for Grundy to give wasnt his hitouts but his precense around the ground. Feel like we're in much   same arena w Gawn re players on both sides setting up to read his taps. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The impression I got from watching the last few minutes of last night’s game was that the Lions looked to have more run in their legs when it counted, culminating in some terrific possessions from McCluggage and Rich and the goal from Bailey. By way of contrast, a few Magpies looked slow in pace and in their reactions. If ever there was a case for holding onto a fitness guru like Darren Burgess, it was made last night.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was quite chuffed at the thought of the Bears starting 0-3...

 

Then reality came back and was super happy to see the Pies lose after the siren. Probably second on the list of good things that happen in life (obviously comes after the dees winning any game they play ?)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wells 11 said:

An interesting stat isnt it. For some odd reason I watched Buckley in his post match interview,  and he was asked all about this. Mentioned Gawn a couple of times in his response saying dominant rucks are  easy for the opposition to nullify or counter. Pointed out the real advantage they were looking for Grundy to give wasnt his hitouts but his precense around the ground. Feel like we're in much   same arena w Gawn re players on both sides setting up to read his taps. 

 

Gawn needs more variety with his hit outs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is from a Collingwood fan on their Extreme Black 'n' White: EBnW BULLET IN BOARD site -

END OF EMPIRE

There is a saying in the stock market world - 'The trend is your friend'. For those not acquainted with the stock market it basically implies when you can clearly see a trend developing it becomes easier to predict the future.

Sadly, at Collingwood, the trend is not our friend. But it is, nonetheless, just as predictable.

This is clearly a side in its death roll.
Regardless of last night's result, we are no closer to winning a flag than we were last year. If anything we are further away.

What we are currently witnessing is a coach who probably knows he is marking time. What little coaching daring there was is gone. At this stage of the trend we find ourselves in self preservation mode. Hence, the reason the current side is still filled with players we know are just not good enough - JT, the Browns, Mayne, Hoskin -Elliott. You will never win a flag in 2021 with those guys. I'm sure Buckley knows it. But at this stage of the trend he has not conceded defeat and is still trying to scrape together wins rather than a better future for a new coach by playing kids.

The trend usually sees clinging to game winning hope continuing until it becomes blatantly obvious that a proper rebuild is more important than hanging on to the dream of playing finals.

It is also why we currently cling steadfastly to a game plan and structure week in week out. 

Case in point - Brisbane constantly flooded our forward 50 filling up space leaving Collingwood players free to build a defensive wall across the centre of the ground. Yet only ONCE did Collingwood try to go over the top (Howe). Instead, we kept chipping away in the belief that our sub standard forwards and wingers would do the job only to eventually turn the ball over & see Brisbane score on the counter attack time after time by running in to an open forward 50.

It was classic Rope-A-Dope.

Yet Howe, Crisp & Maynard can all tonk goals from just outside 50. Isn't that why we employ a team of coaches?

All Empires have a lifespan and this one is clearly coming to a slow and possibly ugly end.

The good news is so far Cox, Quayner and Daicos continue to improve. But we are still 6 good players + depth short of being a good team.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Pinball Wizard said:

This is from a Collingwood fan on their Extreme Black 'n' White: EBnW BULLET IN BOARD site -

END OF EMPIRE

There is a saying in the stock market world - 'The trend is your friend'. For those not acquainted with the stock market it basically implies when you can clearly see a trend developing it becomes easier to predict the future.

Sadly, at Collingwood, the trend is not our friend. But it is, nonetheless, just as predictable.

This is clearly a side in its death roll.
Regardless of last night's result, we are no closer to winning a flag than we were last year. If anything we are further away.

What we are currently witnessing is a coach who probably knows he is marking time. What little coaching daring there was is gone. At this stage of the trend we find ourselves in self preservation mode. Hence, the reason the current side is still filled with players we know are just not good enough - JT, the Browns, Mayne, Hoskin -Elliott. You will never win a flag in 2021 with those guys. I'm sure Buckley knows it. But at this stage of the trend he has not conceded defeat and is still trying to scrape together wins rather than a better future for a new coach by playing kids.

The trend usually sees clinging to game winning hope continuing until it becomes blatantly obvious that a proper rebuild is more important than hanging on to the dream of playing finals.

It is also why we currently cling steadfastly to a game plan and structure week in week out. 

Case in point - Brisbane constantly flooded our forward 50 filling up space leaving Collingwood players free to build a defensive wall across the centre of the ground. Yet only ONCE did Collingwood try to go over the top (Howe). Instead, we kept chipping away in the belief that our sub standard forwards and wingers would do the job only to eventually turn the ball over & see Brisbane score on the counter attack time after time by running in to an open forward 50.

It was classic Rope-A-Dope.

Yet Howe, Crisp & Maynard can all tonk goals from just outside 50. Isn't that why we employ a team of coaches?

All Empires have a lifespan and this one is clearly coming to a slow and possibly ugly end.

The good news is so far Cox, Quayner and Daicos continue to improve. But we are still 6 good players + depth short of being a good team.

 

Love it.   They gave away Jaydn Stephenson for nothing.. he had 33 possessions and 7 tackles in Round 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Pinball Wizard said:

This is from a Collingwood fan on their Extreme Black 'n' White: EBnW BULLET IN BOARD site -

END OF EMPIRE

There is a saying in the stock market world - 'The trend is your friend'. For those not acquainted with the stock market it basically implies when you can clearly see a trend developing it becomes easier to predict the future.

Sadly, at Collingwood, the trend is not our friend. But it is, nonetheless, just as predictable.

This is clearly a side in its death roll.
Regardless of last night's result, we are no closer to winning a flag than we were last year. If anything we are further away.

What we are currently witnessing is a coach who probably knows he is marking time. What little coaching daring there was is gone. At this stage of the trend we find ourselves in self preservation mode. Hence, the reason the current side is still filled with players we know are just not good enough - JT, the Browns, Mayne, Hoskin -Elliott. You will never win a flag in 2021 with those guys. I'm sure Buckley knows it. But at this stage of the trend he has not conceded defeat and is still trying to scrape together wins rather than a better future for a new coach by playing kids.

The trend usually sees clinging to game winning hope continuing until it becomes blatantly obvious that a proper rebuild is more important than hanging on to the dream of playing finals.

It is also why we currently cling steadfastly to a game plan and structure week in week out. 

Case in point - Brisbane constantly flooded our forward 50 filling up space leaving Collingwood players free to build a defensive wall across the centre of the ground. Yet only ONCE did Collingwood try to go over the top (Howe). Instead, we kept chipping away in the belief that our sub standard forwards and wingers would do the job only to eventually turn the ball over & see Brisbane score on the counter attack time after time by running in to an open forward 50.

It was classic Rope-A-Dope.

Yet Howe, Crisp & Maynard can all tonk goals from just outside 50. Isn't that why we employ a team of coaches?

All Empires have a lifespan and this one is clearly coming to a slow and possibly ugly end.

The good news is so far Cox, Quayner and Daicos continue to improve. But we are still 6 good players + depth short of being a good team.

Who translated this piece for you Pinball? They did a good job.

Edited by Neil Crompton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Pinball Wizard said:

This is from a Collingwood fan on their Extreme Black 'n' White: EBnW BULLET IN BOARD site -

END OF EMPIRE

There is a saying in the stock market world - 'The trend is your friend'. For those not acquainted with the stock market it basically implies when you can clearly see a trend developing it becomes easier to predict the future.

Sadly, at Collingwood, the trend is not our friend. But it is, nonetheless, just as predictable.

This is clearly a side in its death roll.
Regardless of last night's result, we are no closer to winning a flag than we were last year. If anything we are further away.

What we are currently witnessing is a coach who probably knows he is marking time. What little coaching daring there was is gone. At this stage of the trend we find ourselves in self preservation mode. Hence, the reason the current side is still filled with players we know are just not good enough - JT, the Browns, Mayne, Hoskin -Elliott. You will never win a flag in 2021 with those guys. I'm sure Buckley knows it. But at this stage of the trend he has not conceded defeat and is still trying to scrape together wins rather than a better future for a new coach by playing kids.

The trend usually sees clinging to game winning hope continuing until it becomes blatantly obvious that a proper rebuild is more important than hanging on to the dream of playing finals.

It is also why we currently cling steadfastly to a game plan and structure week in week out. 

Case in point - Brisbane constantly flooded our forward 50 filling up space leaving Collingwood players free to build a defensive wall across the centre of the ground. Yet only ONCE did Collingwood try to go over the top (Howe). Instead, we kept chipping away in the belief that our sub standard forwards and wingers would do the job only to eventually turn the ball over & see Brisbane score on the counter attack time after time by running in to an open forward 50.

It was classic Rope-A-Dope.

Yet Howe, Crisp & Maynard can all tonk goals from just outside 50. Isn't that why we employ a team of coaches?

All Empires have a lifespan and this one is clearly coming to a slow and possibly ugly end.

The good news is so far Cox, Quayner and Daicos continue to improve. But we are still 6 good players + depth short of being a good team.

For mine, this it too eloquently written to have been developed by a Collingwood supporter/member. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    OUR GRAND OLD FLAG by George On The Outer

    When an AFL Grand Final approaches, supporters look for omens to help them foresee how their team will fare in the contest.   Melbourne supporters were, until just before Saturday’s opening bounce, the best in the business at looking for positives to give them hope and direction - a natural feeling after 57 years in the wilderness. So when the Bulldogs’ streamers kept slipping from the handle of the Premiership Cup as Glen Jackovich delivered it to Optus Stadium, they wondered whether it

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...