Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Danny Frawley

I do not know what Danny Frawley would have thought about Gary Ego Lyon ranting to the players of both sides about looking each other in the eye before combat as if it that has anything to do with combating depression. The last thing anyone should be advising people to do when someone has depression is speak to their mates., It requires professional help and sometimes medication. I felt for Danny when it was clear he was still suffering from depression and he was on radio advising others how to cope with it. It is not that sort of disease. Seek professional help if you are feeling depressed. 

• Facepalm 3

36 minutes ago, Half forward flank said:

I do not know what Danny Frawley would have thought about Gary Ego Lyon ranting to the players of both sides about looking each other in the eye before combat as if it that has anything to do with combating depression. The last thing anyone should be advising people to do when someone has depression is speak to their mates., It requires professional help and sometimes medication. I felt for Danny when it was clear he was still suffering from depression and he was on radio advising others how to cope with it. It is not that sort of disease. Seek professional help if you are feeling depressed. 

I went through a divorce recently that ripped my heart out. I was depressed.

if it wasn’t for speaking to my mates I’m not sure how I would have coped. One of the first ones I spoke to suggested I get counselling which I did and helped tremendously.

I disagree with you Hff. If I didn’t speak to my mates I doubt very much I would have sought help and who knows how things would have ended up.

I reckon Spud would have loved it, as I’m sure his family in attendance would have too.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, Half forward flank said:

The last thing anyone should be advising people to do when someone has depression is speak to their mates.

I would argue the opposite, HFF and so would mental health professionals.  This is a far preferable course of action compared to bottling things up inside.  

• Like 5

The AFLs need to attach every game to a cause or an issue is really irritating.

I dont like being told how to think ,or what to think about societal issues or personal values on matters the AFL thinks it can inform or "highlight".

Many of us go to the football,or turn on the game just to relax. 

I suppose people will will point to "The Big Freeze"  as a good way to raise funds for a worthy cause but it now seems to be every single game. 

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 3

By disclosing issues to mates, that is the first step to recovery as it indicates that an issue has been recognised by the sufferer.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Hell Bent said:

I went through a divorce recently that ripped my heart out. I was depressed.

if it wasn’t for speaking to my mates I’m not sure how I would have coped. One of the first ones I spoke to suggested I get counselling which I did and helped tremendously.

I disagree with you Hff. If I didn’t speak to my mates I doubt very much I would have sought help and who knows how things would have ended up.

I reckon Spud would have loved it, as I’m sure his family in attendance would have too.

You are reinforcing my point, only you used a mate as a middleman. he said, get professional help, exactly what the message should be.

2 minutes ago, ProperDee said:

By disclosing issues to mates, that is the first step to recovery as it indicates that an issue has been recognised by the sufferer.

And a mate tells his partner, and another mate and so it goes on. That is a choice for the individual and in spuds case i think it was the wrong move until you have some control over the disease.

21 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Challenging players of both sides to play with the right spirit. The spirit of Frawley. 

It was a football game honouring Frawley and raising awareness for depression I'm not sure what you're knocking. 

The players are all mates any way, it's the spectators and social media you have to worry about.

Being at the ground I thought Garry spoke very well and it was an important message for anyone going through hard times. It’s not always easy to go to a doctor as a bloke and admit you’re struggling: I couldn’t do it, needed the support of family and mates

• Like 11

Mental health issues are illnesses not diseases.

The key to recovery from any psychological related illness is identifying and accepting the fact that an issue exists. Taking steps to obtain help and obtaining support from family and friends is crucial. Talking to mates is part of that process.  This also quickly identifies who really are your friends and who you can rely on for support.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Half forward flank said:

You may have missed the actual point here.  

People with depression often suffer in silence and not even their close friends often know.

The simple message was don't suffer in silence, tell someone, they may be able to help. 

It does NOT have to be professional help that is the catalyst for getting on top of depression.

I thought Gary handled his speech really well, what would you have said?

Seek professional help lol?

• Like 5

Men have the same access to health care as women in this country.

So why is the rate of suicide so much higher?

Of course it’s more than 1 thing but the biggest issue appears to be women are comfortable talking to their friends and family about their feelings and men aren’t.

Theres a number of people like Spud who are open and still end up in tragic outcomes - the OP is somewhat right he needed his doctors more than his mates. But the mans legacy is getting more blokes (and women) talking to each other. Removing that stigma. That first step is a lifesaver for many. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

You may have missed the actual point here.  

People with depression often suffer in silence and not even their close friends often know.

The simple message was don't suffer in silence, tell someone, they may be able to help. 

It does NOT have to be professional help that is the catalyst for getting on top of depression.

I thought Gary handled his speech really well, what would you have said?

Seek professional help lol?

Seek professional help without the lol. doctors do not laugh when you tell them you may have depression. They talk through your symptoms and provide care and recommend other professionals to deal with it. .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Men have the same access to health care as women in this country.

So why is the rate of suicide so much higher?

Of course it’s more than 1 thing but the biggest issue appears to be women are comfortable talking to their friends and family about their feelings and men aren’t.

Theres a number of people like Spud who are open and still end up in tragic outcomes - the OP is somewhat right he needed his doctors more than his mates. But the mans legacy is getting more blokes (and women) talking to each other. Removing that stigma. That first step is a lifesaver for many. 

Look, what is being missed here is, what if your mate intrying to do the right things says, lets have a drink and talk it through. You both walk away with a few beers under your belt feeling better. But by the morning the black dog has surfaced and your mate thinks he has solved the situation. 

Just now, Half forward flank said:

Seek professional help without the lol. doctors do not laugh when you tell them you may have depression. They talk through your symptoms and provide care and recommend other professionals to deal with it. .

I have had more experience with psychologists/psychiatrists than most people. 

The lol part was how simplistically you are looking at a very complex issue, and likewise think the answer is so simple as seeking "Professional" help.  It is a big thing if someone realises they are struggling and can talk to "anyone" about it....which may,  or may not lead to professional or paid help.

Seek professional help is not at all the message they are trying to get out there.   

If you are struggling talk to a mate/ a stranger, anyone, it does not matter....it may lead to the type of help you are referring to but it is naive to think that is is the only way you get on top of such issues.

• Like 3

I thought it was a great mix of honouring Spud and getting the message across. Gary spoke very well and the cuts to Spud’s family nearly had me in tears.

As for the message, I don’t see why it has to be one or the other. Im no expert, but I would have thought sharing with your friends and family, even if it’s just to get things off your chest, is only going to help. It might be the catalyst to seek further help if needed, and you can do it with support of those around you rather than having to go through it alone.

Edited by Forest Demon
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Half forward flank said:

Mates, mates, mates. Does Gary realise women get depression?

@DeeSpencer covered this nicely few posts back.  Women talk comfortably with each other.  

Men....not nearly so well.   Not sure what you are trying to achieve in this thread, it seems like you are way off the mark and your understanding on depression seems rigid and clinical.  All these "causes" are about awareness, this is no exception.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

@DeeSpencer covered this nicely few posts back.  Women talk comfortably with each other.  

Men....not nearly so well.   Not sure what you are trying to achieve in this thread, it seems like you are way off the mark and your understanding on depression seems rigid and clinical.  All these "causes" are about awareness, this is no exception.

Starting to sound like an opportunity to have a dig at Garry Ego Lyon. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Hell Bent said:

Starting to sound like an opportunity to have a dig at Garry Ego Lyon. 

Exactly the way I saw it.

Not surprised one bit that HFF has completely missed the point once again.

• Like 4

What a strange thread 

Garry and Stewart Lowe spoke really well

For years men “got through” depression with a six pack and a packet of cigarettes 

“Toughen up ya wimp”

thankfully now the support network is a little more refined

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 11