• Podcast:     

POSTGAME: Rd 02 vs St. Kilda

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd just like to endorse all the other posters in their praise for Goodwin outcoaching Ratten.

Honestly we arrested some serious momentum and changed the game. I can’t remember when we last did that and went on to win. We have some talent on the list. If we manage it well we are going plac

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Kozzie is brilliant, well done to Trac on his first career 30 disposal game and great to see Salem get 30 touches

Salem was immense I thought. Max, Oliver and Petracca dominated the clearance bar one 15 minute stint in the 2nd quarter.

I thought their small forwards would wreak havoc but we nullified them almost completely.

CARNA DEMONS!!! Bloody good to get another win on the board and especially against another finals aspirant. And for those keeping track, Goodwin is 2-0 against Ratten :lol:

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:
  • doubled the scoring shots
  • doubled the scoring shots
  • always a good indication.... 

We really shouldve been up by 50 points halfway through the last quarter but the Demons just love keeping our stress levels up.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Hampton 22 said:

Well done again Tom McDonald

exactly. saw him line up for goal in the last and his stats were 3 disposals. I couldn't believe it. he was critical but often we paving the way for his teammates. excellent team game 

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, bingers said:

Checked out the Saints bigfooty site. A consistent theme is that Ratten was outcoached by Goodwin.

Bit hard to coach when your prized ball user goes at 50%. Their skills were deplorable.

Fun to watch when we’re playing well. I thought a few players were a bit selfish in front of goal, going back for a set shot when there was a player free, closer to goal. And the dropped uncontested marks were costly. Other than those two points, I am very happy - and I still have the afternoon and evening to bask in it.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Bay Riffin said:

exactly. saw him line up for goal in the last and his stats were 3 disposals. I couldn't believe it. he was critical but often we paving the way for his teammates. excellent team game 

Those were his last quarter stats

He finished with 19 touches. He looks much much better this season. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Every Game in '64 said:

Viney looks slow to me.

Can he pick it up?

Great to see the much maligned ANB do well tonight.

Tomlinson's best game ever.

Are we allowed to fine forwards for missing easy goals (Fritta)?

Spargo makes goals happen even if he doesn't hit the scoreboard.

Viney is short of a gallop. He was excellent early, in fact led the charge with two first quarter goals. You can see he was struggling in the second half, which is a positive for us. but excellent early and very sharp. 

• Like 1

Never in doubt after we reeled them back in the second.

Well done boys.

Bring on the Giants. 

Edited by PaulRB

Where is that Jimmy guy who said a loss tonight proved that the coach had lost the players? What does the win mean?

Great win tonight against a team that many regard as top 4. Arresting the momentum that the saints had been as very impressive. A coaching win tonight!

• Like 8

That was a little bit emotional.  So many players going well or at least being worthy of their spot after long periods of real doubt.

I abstained from the 'votes' thread because after a few obvious ones like Oliver and Salem (what a terrific, composed game) I just wanted to share out a whole lot of 1-votes for all the players who simply did their job.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, binman said:

Funnily enough I watched it a couple of weeks back too.

Didnt think of lever. Will now.

Fun film but best actor oscar?  Please

Knew of Rami a bit while he was based in Port Douglas for The Pacific and loved Mr Robot until the final season - but his turn in Bohemian Rhapsody was for the most part middling while also demonstrating a growing maturity. Not unlike the Demons of the past two weeks, just to keep things on topic. :)

• Like 2

My three spews  Oliver has been persecuted/pummelled two games running

These umpires cannot tell the time it takes to hold marks, unless it's STK players.

What was Max's warning about? 

27 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Rapt with the win, but just as happy that there was some innovation from Goody. The defensive flooding wasn't helping us in the second quarter and previously Goody would have stuck with it, but he moved things around, got more guys forward and put Jacko in the ruck and it totally shifted the momentum.

Credit to him.

100% agree with this. When we had no forward structure ahead of the ball in the second qtr, I was cursing him, but he reacted quickly. 

This was a a really good performance from a coaching perspective. 

• Like 2

Strangely confident we will relish the fast surface at Marvel, and run over the Saints in 2nd half.  May/Lever to again dominate.  Oliver/Petracca to run wild.  Tmac and Fritsch all to hit the scoreboard.  Kossie scintillates and kicks 3 to get fans super excited.   JJ backs up with another good game.   Lots of cameos from the rest.   We win the clearances and Saints look lost for answers.

Demons by 25+

We should have more run in the legs, Saints one less day to rest and played in heavy conditions.  Expect to finish off quarters strong, Go Demons!!!

Pregame prediction actually in the ball park for a change!

Close enough go Deeeeeeemons! 

Edited by NeveroddoreveN
  • Like 3

As an aside, I’d be furious if I was St Kilda paying Bradley Hill 800k+ a year to get meaningless kicks in the back pocket every week. He just doesn’t get enough ball where it matters. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Winter Dan said:

B Brown will make a huge difference to our goal kicking accuracy. Put him in Fritsch's position and move Fritsch to half fwd to deliver into the 50. 

Will be very pleasantly surprised if Brown's run up is  not under the microscope when he starts, so i'm preparing for it.

Because that's just the type of scabby little warts that are around.

2 minutes ago, Fanatique Demon said:

It was a team warning for not having players in 666 positions. 

We had two guys on the wing so Petracca had to sprint back to the back line to make up numbers. We were fortunately only to get a warning because earlier on in the game, we only had 3 players in the centre square before Fritsch did some counting and sprinted in there for perhaps the only CBA of his career.

Oh, to be back at the ground and to notice these details!

image.thumb.png.95de72e268aa6942d2d188d0cd278898.pngHow about this for a stat, ay? (we're the ones in blue)

Sure, we sprayed it a bit but we had 39 shots on goal tonight. I'd far prefer we get it inside 50 for a dodgy shot on goal than have the opposition's loose man rack up 10 uncontested marks against us.

Turn those shots into goals and we can start erecting an Yze statue at the G...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Exceptional performance tonight. 

I was more impressed in the first half as i knew they would tire later in the game from last week. This was where the heat was on and their fresh much heralded mosquito fleet would take hold. But I thought we beat them in the first quarter as they got two goals from dubious umpiring decisions. We should have been further in front. 

But the second quarter impressed me the most because of the degree of difficulty involved. We looked out on our legs, kicking to an unmanned forward line twice as the saints got a real sniff and went for the kill. This is where we almost  always fall down and as supporters we too often bemoan our lack of leadership. But we quickly corrected this time, didn't commit too many to 'saving' the game and when we went forward we had experienced players in TMac, ANB and Jones in good position. This created 3 goals which got us back the lead. I don't think we can underestimate how much effect that has on the opposition, to lose all their momentum by half time.

Where I can see improvement:

Thomlinson. He was terrible one on one at GWS and is becoming very reliable down back both in marking contests and as a free man. A reliable kick and good decision maker. He has developed under goodwin.

Pickett - First half was exceptional hitting the scoreboard and defensive pressure was elite. he's exactly what we need.

Tmac - Not sure hes quite back but hes defintely improved and so vital for us as a team. With Jackson off his game he was critical to us holding our structure.

Jordan and Sparrow - Ill have to watch again but they are doing sacrificial roles and probably a big reason we won the contest for all but half a quarter tonight. 

special note to Salem, he's been good in previous years but thats the best game I've seen him play, almost perfectly clean and thought he was BOG. 

Negative - yes we have negatives but these threads are 90% negative even after a win, so Im sure that will be discussed in depth. 

Edited by Bay Riffin
  • Like 19
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Knew of Rami a bit while he was based in Port Douglas for The Pacific and loved Mr Robot until the final season - but his turn in Bohemian Rhapsody was for the most part middling while also demonstrating a growing maturity. Not unlike the Demons of the past two weeks, just to keep things on topic. :)

Mate that last season of Mr Robot was incredible. I'm actually offended by this comment. 🤣

• Like 3