Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Attendance

pitmaster

Maybe our round one  crowd was not as bad as it first looked.

Last night Collingwood and Carlton drew 51,700 with an expanded MCG capacity of 75,000 which equates to 69% of capacity.

Last week we had 21,300 attend with a capacity of 50,000, which equates to 42% of capacity while playing a remote interstate club with negligible following here.

Maybe that talk about people still being discouraged because of Covid risks has more relevance than seems correct when we have apparently 'eliminated' the virus. Maybe we won't see capacity crowds until the vaccine program is nearing completion. In any case, as disappointing as our crowd was, in the contest of last night, not so bad.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Covid / hassles / money obviously  a serious factor regardless of any media hype.

If Carlton lose to Freo at Marvel after a long break the war drums will start beating for Teague.Thats a given.

Hopefully Goodwins 2 up maybe 3 by then.lol

I bet Carlton FC still get the pair of Thursday night blockbusters next year.

Carlton losing on Thursdays has become an AFL tradition.

• Like 2

There are a lot of reasons why people may not be going to the football at the moment.

The current rules are a significant deterrent to people deciding to go on the day or bringing friends along. I can't take my son along because I can't buy him a ticket at the same time as getting mine. 

The inability to choose seats is resulting in people receiving seats far worse than what they have paid for with their memberships.

There are so many dumb rules in the name of social distancing and the like, but then they only have one gate open after the game to clear half the Southern Stand. Then you go and stand on top of each other on a train or tram.

Maybe a lot of people lost interest last year after not being able to attend. The lack of kids at our game last week would suggest it will take a long time to get them interested again.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Nascent said:

North had 13,000 odd to their round 1 game vs port apparently. Was stated on radio but curiously its left as "tbc" on the afl website.

I was at the North game and I reckon 13,000 is pushing it. Looked more like 10,000 to me.

FYI my best mate is a North fan so I went for moral support....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RigidMiddleDigit said:

Maybe our round one  crowd was not as bad as it first looked.

Last night Collingwood and Carlton drew 51,700 with an expanded MCG capacity of 75,000 which equates to 69% of capacity.

Last week we had 21,300 attend with a capacity of 50,000, which equates to 42% of capacity while playing a remote interstate club with negligible following here.

Maybe that talk about people still being discouraged because of Covid risks has more relevance than seems correct when we have apparently 'eliminated' the virus. Maybe we won't see capacity crowds until the vaccine program is nearing completion. In any case, as disappointing as our crowd was, in the contest of last night, not so bad.

I think there are still a lot of people who don't want to catch public transport/be in close proximity to other people.

Will probably be this way until the vaccines have been fully rolled out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, poita said:

There are a lot of reasons why people may not be going to the football at the moment.

The current rules are a significant deterrent to people deciding to go on the day or bringing friends along. I can't take my son along because I can't buy him a ticket at the same time as getting mine. 

The inability to choose seats is resulting in people receiving seats far worse than what they have paid for with their memberships.

There are so many dumb rules in the name of social distancing and the like, but then they only have one gate open after the game to clear half the Southern Stand. Then you go and stand on top of each other on a train or tram.

Maybe a lot of people lost interest last year after not being able to attend. The lack of kids at our game last week would suggest it will take a long time to get them interested again.

This put me off from attending this week - but when I checked yesterday this had changed and was able to get seats on the Wing 3rd level half way up which I was pretty happy with for GA - $27 per ticket.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

This put me off from attending this week - but when I checked yesterday this had changed and was able to get seats on the Wing 3rd level half way up which I was pretty happy with for GA - $27 per ticket.

Im up there too, see you there, i'll be the one in the red and blue Genoa shirt

• Like 1

Probably right re. multiple factors impacting crowd volumes...  no doubt the issue is exacerbated for smaller clubs by the rabid media commentators. 

I’m mainly worried about fixturing now - sloppy game in Rd1 plus the perception that even our own supporters won’t come and watch us will see us end up with more than a few Sunday 4.40 timeslots Rd 6 and beyond.

2 hours ago, poita said:

Talk about a contradiction

One minute you can't take your son along because of the ticketing  Is there no Junior Members  tickets available separately to join Senior Members?

Then at the end you blame kids for losing interest this year because of last year's non attendance availability.

Is it both or one or the other reasons???

For away games a GA ticket would cover your child anyway even at an Adult price which is not too dear!!

I accept the need for it, but I think the requirement to pre-purchase (or whatever the right word is when it's at no charge) tickets for a seat when people already have an entry ticket/pass might be putting people off. It's not really logical, because it's a relatively brief and free transaction, but it's also annoying to have to do it. 

• Like 1

It's a massive hassle to actually get a ticket and not being able to choose where you sit. Unless you're a tragic I don't see much incentive to attend. You can't jus rock up and get decent seats with a few friends. The AFL's not doing enough to get crowds in, NBL did $10 tickets, the AFL should follow suit with something to encourage attendance. It's gonna be a bad look when full capacity is back and crowds will still (likely) be down

Edited by Clayton spirit
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

I looked for the cheapest tickets too and when I selected 2 they gave me about 10 options, the day later there were numerous more options. Theres really no advantage buying tickets early when they don't give you the option of where to sit

2 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

crowd looks pretty small for hawks v tiggas at the g based upon what you can see on the television coverage

one has 75k members, the other has 100k members

it will be interesting to see the official figures

the AFL needs to have a think about how it communicates on ticket sales.

Many people have assumed packed stadiums and stay away.

25k for the first home Saints game after a successful season was strange to say the least

• Like 2

Our crowd vs Freo while initially underwhelming has been fine in comparison with other Victorian games. Difficulty in acquiring tickets/good seats has been a factor for all clubs. I reckon if we can keep consistency with our performances we'll have some really strong home crowds once 100% capacity and member seating is allowed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

and i'd say 60 / 40 or maybe 70 / 30 saints / dees splits

I went last night and discussing this issue with my mate guessed 25k.

At 75% capacity crowd would be 37k.

So where is the faux outrage at saints fans for not turning up?

• Haha 1

Just now, binman said:

I went last night and discussing this issue with my mate guessed 25k.

At 75% capacity crowd would be 37k.

So where is the faux outrage at saints fans for not turning up?

Or for that matter about the woeful rurn up by hawks fans today. 

Perfect day for footy. Middle of the day. The g. Amongst a victory team?

Or is just the dees fans who cop it?

Maybe the saints should have asked to swap the hawks game to get a game at the g in?

• Haha 2

I reckon it’s the increase in the price of beer. Make the beers $2 like the pies at Marvel and watch them flock in.

Couldn’t even take a sip in the main walkway before a Covid coach tells you to move on and get back to your seat. 

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1