Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Why QR code required?

daisycutter

16 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Would assume it's because it makes the tracing easier when it's done through the govt app as opposed to having to chase up TicketMaster (who are terrible at everything) if needed.

The same people complaining about 'Dictator Dan's' contact tracing are probably the ones complaining about this as well.

spot on Lord Nev.

Eliminates the need to download data across systems, and we know how that goes when Govt. (State and Federal) systems attempt to talk to each other. Only the ATO has this figured out. Most others are a raffle.

. Teams can commence contract tracing immediately

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

there is also the issue that some (many?) are using a different qr scanning app than the dhss app. there are quite a few when you go to the app store and have been there longer than the dhss app.

just saying 

There are countless QR scanning apps, but I think you'll find when you scan one of these check-in QRs it automatically leads it to the DHSS app. You also don't need an actual QR app to scan QRs these days, it does it automatically with your phone camera so you don't even need a separate app to scan QR codes.

1 minute ago, DemonWorshipper said:

There were definitely QR codes up for Check in the Stadium. I scanned one outside the MCG Shop near Gate 3 to check in. 

I think the point is is that it wasn't mandatory last week.

Having said that I'm not sure how mandatory it actually is from Round 2 given that according to this article from AFL.com.au:

"QR codes will be provided for fans at various points within the stadium – including at their designated entry gate and ticketed venue zone – the check-in can be completed by fans on their way to or at their seat. Additional venue staff have been deployed to assist patrons."

It doesn't sound like it is going to be "policed" just that it is strongly recommended and made easier to access as well as being publicised so that people are aware that you should be checking in.

i still think ticketek/ticketmaster would have the most accurate statistics of who was at the ground and where. The turnstyles are controlled by them.

A simple sql script run against their db, at the end of the game could have a file sent to dhss. I's not rocket science (it101) and dhss are already downloading and processing such files already

personally, i'll comply with whatever is mandated, but i just can't see a qr based system at the footy ground would be more accurate than what is already available from ticketek/tickemaster

• Like 1

I guess the choice is either have a system like QR codes or pass laws making it compulsory for private companies to provide to government the personal details and transaction records of their customers.

No, wait, I don't guess. That's it. That's the choice. 

Hooray for QR codes!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

i still think ticketek/ticketmaster would have the most accurate statistics of who was at the ground and where. The turnstyles are controlled by them.

A simple sql script run against their db, at the end of the game could have a file sent to dhss. I's not rocket science (it101) and dhss are already downloading and processing such files already

personally, i'll comply with whatever is mandated, but i just can't see a qr based system at the footy ground would be more accurate than what is already available from ticketek/tickemaster

If there is an outbreak you'd think that contact tracing will request that information from the ticket outlets as well. You'd hope so anyway.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

The Privacy laws are well intended and necessary to prevent many abuses but boy have they made so many aspects of daily life difficult.

On a more practical note the QR code has nowhere near the same info that the ticketseller has so you would think a small amendment to their T's and C's for football admission would solve the problem.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The Privacy laws are well intended and necessary to prevent many abuses but boy have they made so many aspects of daily life difficult.

On a more practical note the QR code has nowhere near the same info that the ticketseller has so you would think a small amendment to their T's and C's for football admission would solve the problem.

i haven't seen any indication ticketek/ticketmaster wouldn't cooperate for privacy reasons.......and we are still operating under state-of-emergency laws. it's because of covid that all tickets must be pre-sold through the ticketing coys with reserved seats so i would presume the ticketing companies are all on-board unless i hear something to the contrary

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

There are countless QR scanning apps, but I think you'll find when you scan one of these check-in QRs it automatically leads it to the DHSS app. You also don't need an actual QR app to scan QRs these days, it does it automatically with your phone camera so you don't even need a separate app to scan QR codes.

Cant scan a QR code if you don't have a smart phone.

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-ro

19 hours ago, daisycutter said:

maybe i'm missing something here, but why is a QR code scan required for entry to afl games in victoria?

surely, because all entry must be booked beforehand on ticketek/ticketmaster with fixed reserved seats, then all the info required for contract tracing is already recorded

sure, some people could scalp their tickets to unknown people, but likewise many people won't scan (or just pretend) a qr code

Centralised contact tracing run by the government makes much more sense than disparate private entities storing your data and the govt relying on them to release it (data sharing, privacy etc).

As someone who lives in Northern NSW, the government based approach to QR codes is a no brainer.

2 hours ago, daisycutter said:

there is also the issue that some (many?) are using a different qr scanning app than the dhss app. there are quite a few when you go to the app store and have been there longer than the dhss app.

just saying 

That's easily solved - Govt stipulates every venue must use QR codes from the govt tracing like we do in NSW with Service NSW's app - I think it's a condition of Covid Safe opening plan. I have not seen a non Service NSW QR code employed in NSW for many, many months.

6 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Centralised contact tracing run by the government makes much more sense than disparate private entities storing your data and the govt relying on them to release it (data sharing, privacy etc).

As someone who lives in Northern NSW, the government based approach to QR codes is a no brainer.

in general i don't disagree

i think though the afl match attendance with mandatory pre-ticketing is a special case. ticketek/ticketmaster data should be at least 95-98% accurate.....that's a high bar.

that's what piqued my curiosity

would be interesting to compare last nights data from ticketmaster with dhss's qr data to see which is more comprehensive. maybe not just last nights data but say after about 5 rounds when people get better/worse at the routine

36 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

That's easily solved - Govt stipulates every venue must use QR codes from the govt tracing like we do in NSW with Service NSW's app - I think it's a condition of Covid Safe opening plan. I have not seen a non Service NSW QR code employed in NSW for many, many months.

The difference in approach in NSW and Victoria might be explained by this story in the Australian Financial Review yesterday.

(If it's paywalled, the essence of the story is that while Services NSW has been a success, the equivalent in Victoria has been described by Victoria's Auditor-General as a "white elephant" with only 17 end-to-end services compared with NSW's more than 1,200.)

5 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'll assume you don't need reading glasses. 

For those of us who do, it can take quite a bit more than 10 seconds.

I do need reading glasses, and I don’t need them for the app, I’m not sure if the app is the same in Victoria, but we have a govt app with a big button and a wave of the camera in the general direction of the code works every time. I’m actually surprised how it picks it up from many different angles and depths pretty much bang on.

On 3/25/2021 at 10:34 PM, daisycutter said:

true, but the turnstyles also log the ticketmaster barcode

If everyone was logged as being at the turnstiles and a subsequent COVID case is found that means quarantine/testing for the entire crowd. Individual QR codes for different areas allows for targeted tracing.

13 hours ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

If everyone was logged as being at the turnstiles and a subsequent COVID case is found that means quarantine/testing for the entire crowd. Individual QR codes for different areas allows for targeted tracing.

huh?

the ticketing company bar code locates you to a specific reserved seat.....sounds pretty targeted to me

a qr code could be captured anywhere....before entry, post turnstyle area, refreshment area etc

On 3/25/2021 at 4:25 PM, daisycutter said:

maybe i'm missing something here, but why is a QR code scan required for entry to afl games in victoria?

surely, because all entry must be booked beforehand on ticketek/ticketmaster with fixed reserved seats, then all the info required for contract tracing is already recorded

sure, some people could scalp their tickets to unknown people, but likewise many people won't scan (or just pretend) a qr code

I booked two tickets for me and my old man. Didn’t have to provide details for the 2nd ticket, so they need to capture these other people

54 minutes ago, GoodTimesGrimes said:

I booked two tickets for me and my old man. Didn’t have to provide details for the 2nd ticket, so they need to capture these other people

simples....they contact you....you supply name of old man

the important thing is establishing a chain that can be followed.....that's why it's called contact tracing

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

huh?

the ticketing company bar code locates you to a specific reserved seat.....sounds pretty targeted to me

a qr code could be captured anywhere....before entry, post turnstyle area, refreshment area etc

That's a fair point but the QR code is capturing where you are not where you're meant to be. If they're adhering to a proper COVID-safe plan, there should be QR codes at a range of locations in the venue.

I haven't been to a game post-COVID, so can't vouch for what is happening, but I work in events and have unfortunately had to pull together a bunch of these plans.

Also, that information sits with the ticketing company and not the DHHS, where it needs to be to efficiently track the virus. You can't leave pandemic control measures to private companies. If they make a mistake, they would have no accountability.

Edited by Cheesy D. Pun

12 minutes ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

That's a fair point but the QR code is capturing where you are not where you're meant to be. If they're adhering to a proper COVID-safe plan, there should be QR codes at a range of locations in the venue.

not really. the qr code is only captured (once) wherever the venue manager happens to position the qr code, so it is not necessarily where you spend most of your time. this also presumes everyone captures the qr code on a smart phone, which i doubt for various reasons

I haven't been to a game post-COVID, so can't vouch for what is happening, but I work in events and have unfortunately had to pull together a bunch of these plans.

Also, that information sits with the ticketing company and not the DHHS, where it needs to be to efficiently track the virus. You can't leave pandemic control measures to private companies. If they make a mistake, they would have no accountability.

i covered this in previous posts in this thread. btw if the ticketing company make a mistake you don't get into the venue.