Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

Clayton Oliver Contract negotiations



Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Sounds like Luke Jackson must have pinched MD's girlfriend or run over his dog (or the other way around).

Haven't you made that joke already? If you want to be funny, get a new writer. My girlfriend thinks football is stupid. I don't have pets, I have human friends. Unlike most on here, I have seen the demons win a Grand Final. I do not think  it will happen under Goodwin so think about where the team will be in a couple of years.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Geez, there are some pretty ordinary takes in this thread. Oliver is an absolute must keep.

Hmmm, Carlton you say?  

35 touches at 80% and 7 clearances and Melbourne supporters still think he had just an average game.  Name one other player on our list who would have these post game stats and not be considered to

1 hour ago, Mental Demons said:

Haven't you made that joke already? If you want to be funny, get a new writer. My girlfriend thinks football is stupid. I don't have pets, I have human friends. Unlike most on here, I have seen the demons win a Grand Final. I do not think  it will happen under Goodwin so think about where the team will be in a couple of years.  

Trac and Clarry are both already on over 700k. There is no need to move on BOTH Brayshaw and Jackson. They’re not going to be getting more than 900-950k on their next contracts and Brayshaw is already taking up  around 625k 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mental Demons said:

No insult, I am engaging you. You seem to have an idea that winning on the field does not happen unless the off-field is excellent, I agree. I actually think Jackson will be pretty good in 2-3 years. Max took years of Casey before he was the best in the league. No other ruck on our list will get the gig while Max is around. They are there for back-up. If they can't kick goals they won't keep forwards out of the team.

The best career move a ruck on our list can do is go to another team. Footy is a business, the Dees have done some things very well. They have also done things badly. There is an issue ahead that if you want to have the best players in the league, you have to pay them what they are worth.  Trac and Oliver are possibly in the top ten in the league - Viney and Brayshaw might scrape into the top 100. Jackson may be worth rolling the dice on to be a top ten player, I doubt there is the budget or the years that might take to happen here.

If the only way to keep Trac and Oliver was to trade others out there s not many that are worth enough to make enough difference. I think it will be bye to L.J. and probably Brayshaw, maybe others too. I think we will be open to offers if we want the best. The cheap talent we have is very good value as a supporting cast. It is something the club have done OK with.

At the end of the year we lose Melksham, Hibberd and trade Brayshaw at a start. We’ll have more than enough to keep Oliver. Relax, it’s a few years and several Premierships before we start losing quality to contain the salary cap

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mental Demons said:

No insult, I am engaging you. You seem to have an idea that winning on the field does not happen unless the off-field is excellent, I agree. I actually think Jackson will be pretty good in 2-3 years. Max took years of Casey before he was the best in the league. No other ruck on our list will get the gig while Max is around. They are there for back-up. If they can't kick goals they won't keep forwards out of the team.

The best career move a ruck on our list can do is go to another team. Footy is a business, the Dees have done some things very well. They have also done things badly. There is an issue ahead that if you want to have the best players in the league, you have to pay them what they are worth.  Trac and Oliver are possibly in the top ten in the league - Viney and Brayshaw might scrape into the top 100. Jackson may be worth rolling the dice on to be a top ten player, I doubt there is the budget or the years that might take to happen here.

If the only way to keep Trac and Oliver was to trade others out there s not many that are worth enough to make enough difference. I think it will be bye to L.J. and probably Brayshaw, maybe others too. I think we will be open to offers if we want the best. The cheap talent we have is very good value as a supporting cast. It is something the club have done OK with.

Max was drafted in 2009, how many years do you reckon he has left? How much money do you reckon moving LJ on would free up? It just makes no sense especially when others like Hibberd, Melksham, Jetta, AvB, Jones plus others like Baker, Bedford etc would all be primary candidates to be retired, traded or delisted at end of year. Hell I reckon we'd probably move on Weideman before LJ especially if Brown can string games together and TMac continues his early season form.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mental Demons said:

No insult, I am engaging you. You seem to have an idea that winning on the field does not happen unless the off-field is excellent, I agree. I actually think Jackson will be pretty good in 2-3 years. Max took years of Casey before he was the best in the league. No other ruck on our list will get the gig while Max is around. They are there for back-up. If they can't kick goals they won't keep forwards out of the team.

The best career move a ruck on our list can do is go to another team. Footy is a business, the Dees have done some things very well. They have also done things badly. There is an issue ahead that if you want to have the best players in the league, you have to pay them what they are worth.  Trac and Oliver are possibly in the top ten in the league - Viney and Brayshaw might scrape into the top 100. Jackson may be worth rolling the dice on to be a top ten player, I doubt there is the budget or the years that might take to happen here.

If the only way to keep Trac and Oliver was to trade others out there s not many that are worth enough to make enough difference. I think it will be bye to L.J. and probably Brayshaw, maybe others too. I think we will be open to offers if we want the best. The cheap talent we have is very good value as a supporting cast. It is something the club have done OK with.

Let’s just politely agree to disagree on this topic 

Based on your first paragraph you probably would have sent Max packing - that would have been a mistake 

You also concede that LJ will probably be really good in 2 -3 years - this I agree with so why move him on now when Max may have 3 to 4 years left 

There are plenty of others that I would target before LJ and btw I don’t consider him as just a ruck he has the potential to be so much more than that in fact he could be a once in a generation type player - our recruiting team probably agree and that’s why he was taken with such a high pick 

As I’ve said before it’s great that you have an opinion on this - I hope he stays and I hope he helps us win a premiership one day 

Our best players will get paid handsomely - like Richmond , Geelong and previously Hawthorn during their sting years each of their better players will compromise a bit on $’s to share the ultimate success with their mates 

The AFL is littered with examples of players that left for big pay days that never enjoyed the ultimate success. I don’t feel Trac or Oliver are like that. 

Tom Scully says hi ! 

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how St Kilda and Sydney are unclear about salary cap space

Enter Lockett and Franklin....what's new

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

He was dam close to leaving last Summer. 
 

Sure he was, FFS you and others on here fell for player management 101

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fanatique Demon said:

It would be good to know the salaries of the top 10 players at Richmond so we could compare our top players’ salaries. Does anyone know or have a sensible guess?

What use us a sensible guess ? We don't know so move on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 58er said:

What use us a sensible guess ? We don't know so move on. 

That’s a rather binary approach. So unless we know the facts, anything else is useless? What’s it like living such a black and white life?

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Sure he was, FFS you and others on here fell for player management 101

Are you disputing that Clarry was not close to leaving last year?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Are you disputing that Clarry was not close to leaving last year?

Yes absolutely, don’t turn this into one of your long running 20 post sagas and don’t let facts get in the way of a whisper, which evolved into your statement

Was Clarrie unhappy- yes maybe

Was he out of contract - No 

Did any club offer us anything to take Clarrie -,No

Do managers put rumours out 12/18 months in advance of contract negotiations- yes all the time

Did any club have the required funds to pay for him - North and Hawthorn did but at trade time nobody else did

Did any club have the required compensation to get Clarrie from us-No

Would we have let him go for unders - No

So yes I’m absolutely saying He was never “close” to leaving last summer. 
 

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites

Even taking into account TMac's good start to this year I'd trade him way ahead of Weideman or Jackson if we need Cap space for Oliver and Petracca.  We've got the makings of a sustained long term assault on the flag and they are hard to win.  Keep showing up for the next 5-7 years and we'll have a good chance of breaking through.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Yes absolutely, don’t turn this into one of your long running 20 post sagas and don’t let facts get in the way of a whisper, which evolved into your statement

Was Clarrie unhappy- yes maybe

Was he out of contract - No 

Did any club offer us anything to take Clarrie -,No

Do managers put rumours out 12/18 months in advance of contract negotiations- yes all the time

Did any club have the required funds to pay for him - North and Hawthorn did but at trade time nobody else did

Did any club have the required compensation to get Clarrie from us-No

Would we have let him go for unders - No

So yes I’m absolutely saying He was never “close” to leaving last summer. 
 

He most certainly was

inside information. 

Have a lie down

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the group wants sustained success, that means all of them will have to sacrifice some of their pay. If they see an extra 200K-300K (or possibly more) being more important to them, then i wouldn't want that player anyway as they will not be 100% committed to the team ethos that Richmond has made the blueprint of their success over the past 5 years. 

GWS is a prime example of a team of individuals. I think Carlton is heading that way as well. 

 

Edited by CYB
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

you'll have to provide more info than that, wyl

Passing on what i was told DC, from a good source. 
Take it or leave it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Passing on what i was told DC, from a good source. 
Take it or leave it. 

all you've said is

  • he was unhappy (no details)
  • he was very close to leaving (what? talked to other clubs? manager shopped him around? club got offers? he asked to leave?  surely if he was "very close" other better connected than you sources would have said something in media?)
  • you got it from an inside source (not even any vague details)

Like I said you need to do better than that or change your very strong statement

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

all you've said is

  • he was unhappy (no details)
  • he was very close to leaving (what? talked to other clubs? manager shopped him around? club got offers? he asked to leave?  surely if he was "very close" other better connected than you sources would have said something in media?)
  • you got it from an inside source (not even any vague details)

Like I said you need to do better than that or change your very strong statement

So you want me to quote an entire conversation verbatim on a public forum DC?

Sorry mate. It doesn’t work that way, I value my sources 

Clarry was very close to leaving at the end of last year, that is all i can say  

If you choose to not believe what i say, that is up to you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

So you want me to quote an entire conversation verbatim on a public forum DC?

Sorry mate. It doesn’t work that way, I value my sources 

Clarry was very close to leaving at the end of last year, that is all i can say  

If you choose to not believe what i say, that is up to you. 

hahaha

nobody asked for any verbatim anything. your reading comprehension is sadly lacking

your lack of info and definition saddens me and encourages me to ignore your prognostications

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

hahaha

nobody asked for any verbatim anything. your reading comprehension is sadly lacking

your lack of info and definition saddens me and encourages me to ignore your prognostications

Ok. No skin off my nose

it is astounding how one is always attacked for passing on information, whilst protecting a good source at the same time. 
it’s called diplomacy 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Oliver was cranky and looking at leaving, then in part, I’d put it down to his immaturity and hopefully he’s realised it will be him, stepping up to lead his teammates that will deliver the success he may have being frustrated the MFC (and he) wasn’t experiencing.

Theres a great moment in “The last Dance” where MJ crossed this thread hold, embraced the team plan and refocused on team success over personal success...

Hopefully, Clayton too has crossed this thresh hold.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oliver is already the best mid we have had for nearly 40 years and he's only played 100 games. He's also getting better if the last 2 games are an indication.

There is a price at which you wouldn't match it but we would be made to facilitate a trade for him. We should be doing everything in our power to keep our young guys together. Winning generally means they want to keep playing together so lets all hope that Goody has really turned the corner with his coaching.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

i thought it was fairly well accepted that clayton wasn't a happy camper last year?

afaik, he didn't request a trade and no offer was forthcoming for him from a rival club

i remain confident he'll sign a new deal with us at some stage this year and go on to become a demon legend

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What would you all say if Oliver leaving meant we were able to acquire the services of Zac Merrett? It is no secret that:

1. Right now, we lack silk and speed on the outside;
2. We are tight on salary cap and hence would have to trade out for this move to be possible
3. Zac is not happy at Bomberland and could be convinced to leave if the price and destination were right.

Dont get me wrong - i rate Oliver highly but have always said that inside mids are a dime a dozen. I just dont think we have any other player (aside from Trac) who would get us what we need to secure Zac. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE EYE OF THE STORM by Whispering Jack

    When Melbourne monstered Richmond a few weeks back on the MCG thereby registering their sixth win on the trot, the block of games to follow looked highly appealing. After a stirring victory in difficult conditions over the reigning premier, the games to come were against a quartet of low achievers from 2020. North were winless, the Swans were the early high flyers now falling into a slump, Carlton couldn’t take a trick and the Crows had just lost an unloseable game to the Hawks in Launceston. Ev

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DUCKING A PLUCKING by George On The Outer

    With seven consecutive wins for 2021 behind it, and not having played well in its previous game,  Melbourne was ripe for the picking (or plucking) by the Sydney Swans. However, in the end, it was the Ducks who found themselves plucked by a Demons side that continues its relentless successful roll for the Season. Or did the Demons narrowly duck a plucking themselves? Sydney brought its usual game style to the M.C.G.  Get in front and then shut down the game, scrap and refuse to mov

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE MERRY, MERRY MONTH OF MAY by The Oracle

    The month of May was a little more than halfway into its second day when the news came. Melbourne was on top of the AFL table for the first time since Round 3, 2005. As usual with the Demons, there was no time for celebration. They had just lost tough nut Jack Viney with yet another soft spot in his foot, Adam Tomlinson’s year was in ruins with what was subsequently confirmed as an ACL and Bayley Fritsch’s careless but unintentional fend off on North’s Tom Powell was about to see him charge

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BLUNDSTONE BOOTED by George on the Outer

    The tough Aussie Blundstone boot is made for true blue collar workers, and so it was at this aptly named stadium in Hobart, that the Demons were made to work their hardest for their seventh consecutive win of the season. From the outset, North Melbourne put scoreboard pressure on Melbourne with two majors at an early stage in the first quarter. The Demons fought back and temporarily had the lead but the Kangaroos responded to lead by five points at quarter time. This was not what the public

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNTROUBLED by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons were untroubled for the third week in a row as they went on a four quarter romp at Marvel Stadium to record a 107 point win over an undermanned bottom-of-the-ladder North Melbourne VFL. The scoring riot began about ten minutes into the game when Sam Weideman notched the first of four goals that could easily have been six or seven but for some uncharacteristic misses from close in. The Demon forward, spurned so far by the club’s AFL selectors, demonstrated a strong work rate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    I’LL GIVE THEE A WIND by Whispering Jack

    The football world was reminded this week about the last time Melbourne opened a season with six wins or more in a row. That was in 1965 when Sir Robert Gordon Menzies was Prime Minister of Australia and the country was fighting a war in faraway Vietnam. It was before Jack Viney’s father, Todd, was born — a time when the game was played almost exclusively on Saturdays and when Demon fans used to wake up in the morning mostly safe in the knowledge that there was not even the remotest possibility

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MAKING HISTORY by KC from Casey

    This was a weekend of history with Anzac Day commemorations throughout the community including the sporting world including the VFL. For the Casey Demons, which originated from the Springvale Football Club founded in 1903, it was a double celebration as Saturday’s game was a celebration of the club’s 750th VFA/VFL match since admission to the competition in 1982. Springvale became the Casey Scorpions in 2005 when the club moved to Casey Fields and since 2017 has been known as the Casey Demo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE TWO ELEPHANTS NOT IN THE ROOM by WJ

    After another slow start when they conceded 2.3.15 to nothing in a handball-happy opening 15 minutes, the unflappable Demons delivered a warning sign of major proportions to the rest of the competition with their 34-point win over the reigning premiers in their Anzac Eve contest. And what made things even more ominous is that they did it without two elephants in the room - key forwards Ben Brown and Sam Weideman who have been amassing goals at VFL level while coming back from injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A TALE OF TWO HEROES by Whispering Jack

    On Saturday night at the ANZAC Day Eve game between Melbourne and Richmond, we will give recognition to the achievements of two great Demons who made significant contributions to the Melbourne Football Club over substantially different time spans. The first is the late Frank V “Checker” Hughes who was born on 26 February 1894 and began his career as a Richmond player in 1915. Shortly after, Hughes was called on to serve his country when he went to war during WW1. He returned from battle and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    TURNING POINT by The Oracle

    It wasn’t that long ago when Melbourne held sway in its Anzac Eve matches against Richmond. The early versions of the blockbuster saw the Demons home by 32 points in 2015 and 33 in 2016. When the turning point came it was dramatic and sudden. The Demons might have been on an upward curve in 2017 under new coach Simon Goodwin but so were the Tigers who had finished a disappointing 13th in 2016. When the teams met in Round 5 under lights in front of a crowd of 85,657 — the highest ever betwee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STARTING OVER by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons made a successful return to the playing field with a 51 point away from home victory over the Box Hill Hawks. The visitors were starting over after a hiatus of almost 20 months and fielded a strong team of 14 AFL listed players against an undermanned opponent. And they showed from the first bounce that they were out to make up for lost time with an aggressive opening that saw them off to 21 point lead at the first break with thanks to a dominant midfield and two key forward

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NUTCRACKER by George on the Outer

    Q: How to crack a tough nut? A: Use a bigger hammer! It took Melbourne until the last quarter to crack the Hawthorn nut. These days, the Hawks under Alastair Clarkson simply don’t have the talent that served them so well in years gone, and they have to rely on not losing rather than trying to win.   The result is that the match became a slog for three quarters, as Hawthorn clogged the game, flooded heavily and simply stopped the Melbourne run.  Even in the first quarter the signs

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...