Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Clayton Oliver Contract negotiations

picket fence

Looks like Josh Kelly's possible move south could work in our favour if a Hawthorn is looking to spend up. With clubs tight on salary cap this could work in our favour. With WCE Tigers Footscfay and Geelong seemingly having a lock on top positions why would a player like Clayton even consider leaving the red and the blue:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/8-million-man-or-homeward-bound-gws-star-josh-kelly-s-unique-choice-20210330-p57fce.html

11 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

Positive is that not many clubs can afford $1 mill a year in their salary. caps and the ones that can are potentially further from success than us https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/salary-cap-score-the-afl-clubs-that-do-and-don-t-have-room-20210327-p57em2.html

how do we find 1miilion in cap that the question There are going to be a few victims I think.

Interesting re Kelly.   Was not aware he was in such a powerful position.  His value so far this season would have dropped ( not worth a million a season atm.)

Almost 8 million over 8 years is crazy stuff to have written into contract, he could just bend GWS over, take the money and live happily ever after.

My suspicion is that he will want some success for the rest career, and GWS looks to be in some real trouble.

Would he want to go to a North Melbourne/Hawthorn/Essendon for similar $$$$....highly doubtful.

Would he take a fairly drastic paycut while still getting paid handsomely at around 800k to come to a more successful club?

It would be really tempting as i doubt it will come down to pure $ offered.

Be fascinating to watch Kelly throughout the season with his form and whether there are rumblings with his wanting out at any stage.  

GWS have lost so much talent over the years, this might be another year where they lose a heap of good ones.  Getting pretty ugly for them, glad we are not remotely in their position!

Why would we want Kelly c 2021?   A shadow of his former self. 

And, we would need to part with some very good players to free up enough cap space for him.

Instead use the money to keep Oliver, Salem, Petracca, Kozzie, Jackson etc.

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Why would we want Kelly c 2021?   A shadow of his former self. 

And, we would need to part with some very good players to free up enough cap space for him.

Instead use the money to keep Oliver, Salem, Petracca, Kozzie, Jackson etc.

agree completely LH you have my support

People on here should resist firmly any such suggestion

We have a great list don't need some guy who thinks he is worth $1000000. Leave it to Carlton or the busted Hawks

20 hours ago, old dee said:

If you were Oliver would you  rather play at the Dees with a solid chance of playing finals and a GF over the life of your contract. Or play with the bottom side who gets beaten 90% of the time for 15% more money? Easy choice for me. 

Someone's hacked old dee's account!

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

Kelly needs a change of scenery. His best was excellent so the regression must be down to motivational factors

No way he commands $1m or anything close based on current form. You’d only consider bringing him in if you could pick up relatively cheaply.

No idea how we’d work it but if we ended up with Kelly and had to sacrifice Gus I’d consider it. But you would have to be sure that he hasn't settled for the easy life. No passengers allowed.

• Like 2

Oliver should sign for 2 years on decent coin up to RFA.  We need to at least play off in the GF over the next 3 years, hopefully win the flag.  He can make up his mind long-term then.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Kelly needs a change of scenery. His best was excellent so the regression must be down to motivational factors

No way he commands $1m or anything close based on current form. You’d only consider bringing him in if you could pick up relatively cheaply.

No idea how we’d work it but if we ended up with Kelly and had to sacrifice Gus I’d consider it. But you would have to be sure that he hasn't settled for the easy life. No passengers allowed.

Kelly for Gus where do I sign?? Not that it's worth spending too much time thinking about as we won't land him but anyone who wouldn't sacrifice Brayshaw to get Kelly in as our silk outside mid are having a laugh.

the reality is if we are going to keep Oliver and Petracca we need to free up a lot of cap space or we have a Treloar/Collingwood problem. The problem is we don't have many players with much value to be traded. We should not have signed Viney to such a long contract. We tried to move him on but now he is too expensive and we are stuck with him. I am sure Jackson will not be at the club next year and I would say Brayshaw will be moved on too. That may not be enough. I expect they will try and get rid of a couple of others too. I doubt we need Kelly or any big price tag players, we will be stretched just keeping what we want to have.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Kelly for Gus where do I sign?? Not that it's worth spending too much time thinking about as we won't land him but anyone who wouldn't sacrifice Brayshaw to get Kelly in as our silk outside mid are having a laugh.

Depends which version of Kelly you get. The 2018/2019 version was A grade. Since then he has been quite poor. 

14 minutes ago, Mental Demons said:

the reality is if we are going to keep Oliver and Petracca we need to free up a lot of cap space or we have a Treloar/Collingwood problem. The problem is we don't have many players with much value to be traded. We should not have signed Viney to such a long contract. We tried to move him on but now he is too expensive and we are stuck with him. I am sure Jackson will not be at the club next year and I would say Brayshaw will be moved on too. That may not be enough. I expect they will try and get rid of a couple of others too. I doubt we need Kelly or any big price tag players, we will be stretched just keeping what we want to have.

haha why would Jackson sign until end of 2022 and then want out after 2021? 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

haha why would Jackson sign until end of 2022 and then want out after 2021? 

It is not a matter of what he wants or why would we sign him. The answer is simple. If he walked unsigned we would get nothing for him. I just had a look at the contracts and cap, It will be hard to keep Petracca and Oliver and pay them what they are worth, unless we free up some room in the cap. We don't have many players with much value to others. Jackson is one and I suspect he will head west. Brayshaw has some value and we can't afford (or properly use) him and Viney. Either way we will be moving players on at years' end to afford the future we want.

If we have to trade LJ to afford to keep our key midfielders we are managing our player payments as well (or as bad) as Collingwood

I hope that's not the case

I find it bizarre that a team that has achieved very little cannot afford to keep its playing group intact when other far more successful teams (Richmond, Geelong, Port Adelaide, West Coast) do not appear to be in that position

Are we just dumb ? Are some of our better players just too greedy ? Are our weakest players getting above average payments ?

8 minutes ago, Mental Demons said:

It is not a matter of what he wants or why would we sign him. The answer is simple. If he walked unsigned we would get nothing for him. I just had a look at the contracts and cap, It will be hard to keep Petracca and Oliver and pay them what they are worth, unless we free up some room in the cap. We don't have many players with much value to others. Jackson is one and I suspect he will head west. Brayshaw has some value and we can't afford (or properly use) him and Viney. Either way we will be moving players on at years' end to afford the future we want.

Makes no sense at all that we'd draft a young potential star at #3 then immediately trade him....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sisso said:

Makes no sense at all that we'd draft a young potential star at #3 then immediately trade him....

What a lot of the blind faith fans on here don't seem to realize that, as suggested by Sydee, successful clubs  need to be well organised business wise. Loyalty has little value and can be a trap if not managed well (Viney, Treloar etc). That is why you see many clubs trading proven players with value. Paying the ones you really want to keep is the trick.

2 hours ago, Better days ahead said:

Are you sure or just guessing?

Mental Demons is well named.

Dont  pay any attention To him he hates Jacko And wants him out if the side snd traded at  the end of the year.

Total rubbish his posts.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

Interesting re Kelly.   Was not aware he was in such a powerful position.  His value so far this season would have dropped ( not worth a million a season atm.)

Almost 8 million over 8 years is crazy stuff to have written into contract, he could just bend GWS over, take the money and live happily ever after.

My suspicion is that he will want some success for the rest career, and GWS looks to be in some real trouble.

Would he want to go to a North Melbourne/Hawthorn/Essendon for similar $$$$....highly doubtful.

Would he take a fairly drastic paycut while still getting paid handsomely at around 800k to come to a more successful club?

It would be really tempting as i doubt it will come down to pure $ offered.

Be fascinating to watch Kelly throughout the season with his form and whether there are rumblings with his wanting out at any stage.  

GWS have lost so much talent over the years, this might be another year where they lose a heap of good ones.  Getting pretty ugly for them, glad we are not remotely in their position!

Clubs can pay $1mill average over 5 years by back ending a contract.