Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

DEMON PLAYERS ANGRY

John Crow Batty

14 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

How about this Sue?

The players are aware we have a problem winning games we are expected to win. Our performances last year in Cairns were unacceptable. With a finals position on the line against two sides below us on the ladder, we simply choked. Some fans have accused us of 'drinking our own bath water'. Based on those performances in crucial games, they are correct. We let ourselves down but most importantly, we disappointed our fans . . . again. And for that, I say, on behalf of the players, we're sorry. You, the fans, supporters and members are the lifeblood of the club and provide us with a lifestyle most people can only dream about. And we abused your trust, support and love. For that, on behalf of the players, I apologise. 

In 2021 we undertake to play a more accountable and disciplined style of game. This means further developing our individual strengths and minimising the influence our weaknesses have on the outcome of each game. For example, Jack Viney is committed to playing Aussie Rules each weekend, I'm gradually improving my goal kicking and hope to thread at least one per game this year and Maysie's target is to keep all the gorillas to two goals or less in each game he plays. All the players will be held accountable, both internally and externally, for their on field performances. To that end, Jack, Stephen and I will front the media each week, and on behalf of the players, answer for our performances as truthfully as possible.

Thanks QB for being the only one to respond to my request and for your thoughful 'press release'.  There is not much there that I disagree with and I can well imagine Gawn making that sarcastic dig at Viney.  However, have you ever heard the captain of any club make such a detailed statement?  And many of the things you say have been dribbled out by Gawn in various statements over the last couple of years (though perhaps not as elegantly as you did).  We have been apologised to (too many times), we have heard statements about what we need to work on etc. 

I expect if Gawn published your statement there would still be a loud chorus from many here saying 'words, words, words, I want action'.  

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, sue said:

Thanks QB for being the only one to respond to my request and for your thoughful 'press release'.  There is not much there that I disagree with and I can well imagine Gawn making that sarcastic dig at Viney.  However, have you ever heard the captain of any club make such a detailed statement?  And many of the things you say have been dribbled out by Gawn in various statements over the last couple of years (though perhaps not as elegantly as you did).  We have been apologised to (too many times), we have heard statements about what we need to work on etc. 

I expect if Gawn published your statement there would still be a loud chorus from many here saying 'words, words, words, I want action'.  

If Gawn released anything so honest i think you would find Melbourne supporters might actually believe change is happening from  within.  Melbourne just don't play like a team that is hurting at the best of times.

Some brutal honestly from either our captain or coach would be well received by most.  It would be something new and fresh...instead of the same platitudes with no action behind them.

It is words like "learnings" that are thrown around too easily.  Do they actually learn?  They seem to lose in similar manners, are these learnings getting ingrained?

Give me May or Petracca talking at end of games.  At least they are honest and seem to really feel hurt by the loss.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

If Gawn released anything so honest i think you would find Melbourne supporters might actually believe change is happening from  within.  Melbourne just don't play like a team that is hurting at the best of times.

Some brutal honestly from either our captain or coach would be well received by most.  It would be something new and fresh...instead of the same platitudes with no action behind them.

It is words like "learnings" that are thrown around too easily.  Do they actually learn?  They seem to lose in similar manners, are these learnings getting ingrained?

Give me May or Petracca talking at end of games.  At least they are honest and seem to really feel hurt by the loss.

Oath. 

I don’t care what Max or anyone else says. Preferably don’t say anything at all, well not until you can win games of footy, and, hopefully, consecutively, even try winning a string of games. Then try winning enough close games to be in the bloody 8 at season end. Try winning finals games.

Words no longer mean anything. 

But how do you feel? How will you feel at the end of your career if you are associated with a team of losers, a club that attracts derision. Is a laughing stock. 

You may have lots of money, but how will you feel about your footy career? Will you feel a failure, will your team mates feel that they are failures ? Or will you and the Coach simply move on? Will you get over it as you and your team mates sip on your Pinot Noir in the wine bar and blame others? 

Just win games, win the close ones. Until then I will mute the sound coming from you and Simon or the next coach’s mouth. I will not bother reading what you have to say. I will remain totally detached and increasingly lose interest in the season. 

I will forever remain loyal but I will have lost the emotion I have for my team. I will remain detached. I will take more interest in other clubs and the results of other games. It will be purely of academic interest as to what happens.

All of us Demons want to see you as the new Richmond. Tough, resilient, successful and proud. Do you have it in you?

• Like 10
  • Love 1

I try to take what’s said with a pinch of salt at this time of year, the players need to sell the club a bit. But I really sometimes wish they’d just shut up and get on with showing it on the field. I’d frankly be angry if they weren’t angry with how they did last season. Forget limping into 8th, they should be aiming for top 4 and anything less is disappointing. 

If not then what the hell are they doing with themselves. 

• Like 3

On 3/11/2021 at 4:46 PM, sue said:

I really don't know what some people expect Gawn to say.  Of course it means little.  Given that he has to say something in this modern era, I'd like to see critical posters post some press releases here that are significantly better.   

Sue, I'd prefer if he said something other than words. Maybe punch a wall or something to convey anger in a manner that doesn't involve words.

On 3/11/2021 at 9:39 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

The Melbourne Storm understand the work ethic. We the Demons don’t. 

we share the same facilities 

Life is Strange

You are not the same as your neighbours so the comparison is erodious.

Life is strange but this example is flawed.

Do we sit and watch the Storm at training to learn From them.? Can't just sit there and gawk!!

20 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Perhaps they could send us all an apology letter.

In the late 70s/early 80s I wrote a letter to the Club pointing out repeated errors made by the team after a particularly inept performance, and expressing my disappointment. I received a response from the then President, Stuart Spencer agreeing with my comments and saying that he had issued a copy of my letter to every senior player!! Different times !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

Take Steven May after the Port Adelaide flogging last year

Brutally honest and showed genuine anger in his post match interview. Completely won me over that night.

Max Gawn does not have that in him.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, hemingway said:

I don’t care what Max or anyone else says. Preferably don’t say anything at all, well not until you can win games of footy, and, hopefully, consecutively, even try winning a string of games. Then try winning enough close games to be in the bloody 8 at season end. Try winning finals games.

But how do you feel? How will you feel at the end of your career if you are associated with a team of losers, a club that attracts derision. Is a laughing stock. 

You may have lots of money, but how will you feel about your footy career? Will you feel a failure, will your team mates feel that they are failures ? Or will you and the Coach simply move on? Will you get over it as you and your team mates sip on your Pinot Noir in the wine bar and blame others? 

Just win games, win the close ones. Until then I will mute the sound coming from you and Simon or the next coach’s mouth. I will not bother reading what you have to say. I will remain totally detached and increasingly lose interest in the season. 

I will forever remain loyal but I will have lost the emotion I have for my team. I will remain detached. I will take more interest in other clubs and the results of other games. It will be purely of academic interest as to what happens.

All of us Demons want to see you as the new Richmond. Tough, resilient, successful and proud. Do you have it in you?

I’m with you h. 

I have not read the article and have not read any such fluff articles for some time. They actually frustrate me, we’ve been all talk for way too long.

5 hours ago, 58er said:

You are not the same as your neighbours so the comparison is erodious.

Life is strange but this example is flawed.

Do we sit and watch the Storm at training to learn From them.? Can't just sit there and gawk!!

This is not a matter of “gawk”

I am sure there is some communication between the 2 camps.

The Storm “get it”, they get it every year

The Demons don’t, it goes in one ear and out the other

different games entirely, but the work ethic and application are the same, towards working as a Team  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

This is not a matter of “gawk”

I am sure there is some communication between the 2 camps.

The Storm “get it”, they get it every year

The Demons don’t, it goes in one ear and out the other

different games entirely, but the work ethic and application are the same, towards working as a Team  

Why they would not even get Storm players down there to help us learn how to tackle has always befuddled me.

i would like Bellamy type as coach.  He does not accept mediocrity and does often get angry at his players.  Be great to see that type emotion from our box and a team that clearly fought every battle to the best of their ability. Nearly all of their players improve, their development makes me envious. They are a great team with culture and class.  Really, we should be learning from them, a lot of this type stuff translates across codes.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2021 at 10:08 AM, hemingway said:

Excellent comment Ernest covers how I feel. I suggest you send it to the club.

Ahhh yes .... Yearly dose of pre-season propaganda.
Can't forget this one from a couple years ago.
Or the atrocious season that followed.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ben E said:

FD7E301F-3DF7-45D3-9834-BA9742B6192D.gif

knowing our luck we'll end up on top for most of the season, make the granny, and then Dean Kent or Oscar Mcdonald kick the winning goal on the siren. The club blows up and we finish 18th the next season.

13 hours ago, bingers said:

In the late 70s/early 80s I wrote a letter to the Club pointing out repeated errors made by the team after a particularly inept performance, and expressing my disappointment. I received a response from the then President, Stuart Spencer agreeing with my comments and saying that he had issued a copy of my letter to every senior player!! Different times !!

Can you draft another please?

13 hours ago, bingers said:

different times indeed mate. but you don't need to send a letter. just tweet at them!

6 hours ago, Ben E said:

FD7E301F-3DF7-45D3-9834-BA9742B6192D.gif

If anger gets us to a premiership I could give a crap whether we’re on the light or dark side! ?

• Like 1