Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MFC supporter's group to host event at male-only club

Mickey

27 minutes ago, hardtack said:

From what I can tell, most of the outrage is coming from those here on Demonland who seem to be outraged over the outrage.

Which reminds me of the irony of trump jnr 'writing' a book called triggered  about triggering the snowflake left.

Ironic because he and his dad and most of his acolytes gets so beserkley triggered at the drop of a hate (eg donnies response to karl rove and the wall Street journal).

And the irony of the Republicans, the party of freedom of the individual, bleating about the evils of cancel culture when anyone who doesn't toe the trump line or has the temerity to vote on conscience get torn to shreds and in some cases censured by their party. 

• Like 5

I’m not usually an annoying pedantic person but the article can not infer anything, it can only imply. The inference is made by the individual reading it. 

sorry, had to get that off my chest

carry on

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, binman said:

Which reminds me of the irony of trump jnr 'writing' a book called triggered  about triggering the snowflake left.

Ironic because he and his dad and most of his acolytes gets so beserkley triggered at the drop of a hate (eg donnies response to karl rove and the wall Street journal).

And the irony of the Republicans, the party of freedom of the individual, bleating about the evils of cancel culture when anyone who doesn't toe the trump line or has the temerity to vote on conscience get torn to shreds and in some cases censured by their party. 

Preach, binman.

And back to the original thread, inclusive practices / actions really aren’t that hard. Just a *tiny* bit of thought in planning. Other than the venue fail, why didn’t they invite a couple of higher profile female players to guest speak? If you start from a place of including others, it’s no drama at all. And most of the time ends up being a better gig anyway!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Bit of a non story. Coterie hires a venue, someone does not like it.

Agree it is nothing to die in a ditch over.

But for me i have started having some doubts about the judgement of both Pert and Bartlett. 

The members forum, the agm  bartletts comments after the port game and some other eyebrow raisers.

And a lapse in judgement in this case just adds to my concerns 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, binman said:

But for me i have started having some doubts about the judgement of both Pert and Bartlett. 

The members forum, the agm  bartletts comments after the port game and some other eyebrow raisers.

You have my vote binman. Add nobody gets on the board without his approval.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Your profile name and photo is offensive. Luke Jackson is not and was not a member of the Jackson family and to suggest otherwise is cultural appropriation.

I hope you put your hands up and realise it wasn't the best choice and change it.

You are entitled to your opinion sir/ma’am. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, binman said:

Some people have to complain about everything in life, their day wouldn't be complete without it.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Gross. These clubs are surely on the way out. Who would think this is a good idea, or even relevant in 2021? It’s lame, and as supporters we should expect more.

gross?   love the hyperbole....  you will run out of adjectives when you have a real problem.....sheesh

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are no different to the racists at Collingwood or the exposed culture of entrenched sexism and misogyny on Capital Hill. Much of society, and by extension, the MFC, is completely blind, and contributing to, the normalisation of the abuse of women. This subtle but pervasive structurally embedded sexism is the personification of male power and control, which of course, is the root cause of gender inequality that manifests as domestic violence, rape, sexual exploitation, unequal pay and a plethora of other abuses. We are all implicated when we allow other people to be mistreated and patriarchal symbols such as the Australian Club are used to raise funds for our beloved club. 

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, hemingway said:

Naturally you can question the choice of venue. The common objections have been mentioned. Establishment, old boys club, wealth, privilege, private school, sexist.  Perhaps membership and attendance reflect some or all of these characteristics. 

However, these clubs have all seen better days. The movers and shakers have long deserted these places for more upmarket venues. They represent the past, not the current or the future. In the main, they are sparsely populated by old retired gentleman catching up with their peers. 

Having attended most of the clubs on the invitation of publishers and interested folk that still read books and descriptive fiction, my main complaint other than the absence of the fairer sex, is the quality of the food. In my experience, it reminds me of boarding school. Those present remind me of elderly gents at the funeral or wake of an old friend. 

Why anyone would want to spend a few thousand smackers each year to be a member is beyond me. After lunch and bucket loads of post lunch Port, I would want to kill myself. Although food poisoning may knock me off before my 303. 

However, I did enjoy stumbling down the steps one sunny afternoon with an ex AFL President who was loud and rambunctious. He enjoyed loudly telling a young man carrying a bike frame along William St, that the frame would need wheels to be rideable. Laughing loudly at his own joke as he stumbled away!  Now that’s class!

Humming supercalafragiliciousexpialidocious as he went, I presume?

I think that it’s a great venue and one of the best spaces in Melbourne. I am sure that the Club also considered the alternatives of the (women-only) Alexandria Club or the (women-only) Lyceum Club before deciding that the Aussie was the size best suited for the event!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

43 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

gross?   love the hyperbole....  you will run out of adjectives when you have a real problem.....sheesh

I’m guessing you’re not a woman and therefore unable to attend this event to hear senior officials from the club speak?

Its not hyperbole. It’s an outdated, inappropriate venue. Are you really trying to defend the decision to hold this event at a club like this? 

2 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I’m guessing you’re not a woman and therefore unable to attend this event to hear senior officials from the club speak?

Its not hyperbole. It’s an outdated, inappropriate venue. Are you really trying to defend the decision to hold this event at a club like this? 

I don’t know whose decision it was, however it was inspired as it is one one the finest rooms in Melbourne. 

13 minutes ago, CBDees said:

I think that it’s a great venue and one of the best spaces in Melbourne. I am sure that the Club also considered the alternatives of the (women-only) Alexandria Club or the (women-only) Lyceum Club before deciding that the Aussie was the size best suited for the event!

Or they figured that holding it at any of these clubs would isolate 50% of the audience and it would therefore be inappropriate- yet it’s somehow ok to do the same thing to a different 50% of the audience. It’s poor form, and I’ll be letting the club know we expect better.

13 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Why don’t you take your wife. I’m sure she’d love to go.

Good suggestion! ? I might ask her. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CBDees said:

I don’t know whose decision it was, however it was inspired as it is one one the finest rooms in Melbourne. 

Yeah... nah... you’ve either:

a) Never stepped foot inside there.
b) Don't get out much.
c) All of the above.

2 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Yeah... nah... you’ve either:

a) Never stepped foot inside there.
b) Don't get out much.
c) All of the above.

Actually great times can be had inside the hallowed walls of Clubland, whether they be ‘single-sex’ or mixed. All of Melbourne’s Clubs welcome the opposite gender and some of their most memorable events are mixed, whilst single-sex women’s organisations (i.e. Fernwood Gym) NEVER admit men.The single-sex iteration offer camaraderie and debate, rarely found in mixed Clubs (eg. MCC, RACV,). All I can say, is that there is nothing irregular in the MFC hosting a mixed event at a normally exclusively male stronghold as it is a grand room. Let’s close this thread and focus on winning Premierships with our ‘single-sex’ football teams!

By the way, I have never aspired to be a member of the Aussie Club.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 3

I’ll be honest that I don’t think choosing a male-members only club is a great look for location choice. I find it incredible these clubs even exist anymore. 

That said I always felt that coterie clubs were almost separate entities to the footy club so while it’s associated with the MFC, it isn’t necessarily a club decision. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CBDees said:

The matriarchy must be stopped.