Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Practice Match vs Richmond

Demonland

Great result, especially as I’d be looking for the following players to improve our 22 when they return...

viney

Brayshaw

Ben Brown

Weid

Kozzie

Melky

VDB

All of which can play when injury free and in form. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Yet, in the final quarter he was in no small part, responsible for us being able to get up over the Tigers, when it was looking like they could overrun us.

I don’t think he played badly on Friday at all. I admit I have low expectations for him this year but he played better than I expected. He did over turn the ball at times in the first half but then so did Petracca!

He might not quite be best 22 but based on this showing, with injuries and rotation, I think he is capable of playing the 6 games he needs for the milestone. Good luck to him if he does.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Previous attempts to play Jones on the wing have failed He is a liability there

Cost us two goals yesterday with poor panicked disposal

No place here for sentiment

Not sure it was panicked but it was poor and there were a couple of poor decisions as well.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 12:39 PM, DemonOX said:

Thanks to the club for streaming the game live. 

It was great and the best part about it you don’t have to listen to the commentators on the commercial channels. 

Win all round. 

Totally agree. The state of the commentary ranks at the moment has to be at an all time low.

I’m not sure if it’s possible for the club to stream all games, with tv rights and whatnot, but if the option was there I’d gladly pay for it if it meant I didn’t have to suffer BT, Eddie, Bruce et al

• Like 2
  • Love 1

That was a great first up game and after reading all the reviews and then watching the replay of the 7 quarters of football I must admit that I liked what I saw, every one chipped in and gave it their all, I was impressed with the way that we kept pegging the Tiges back and made them earn their kicks. We still have a way to go but I am now feeling even more bullish about 2021 with the improvement of our year 2 and year 3 players as they showed more glimpses of what they are capable of, not to mention our year one trio as well.

We still kicked to the Tiges advantage to much and they got away with a lot of illegal blocks and pushes in our forward line but that's what top sides get away with, we now have that very strong core of top players who will be helped and supported by a group of young quality players eagerly waiting to fill any holes that may appear in our top 22 - 26 players.

Go Dee's!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Deserves 6 games, more than any other current demon and will get them barring injury, as we have several injured players who have opened spots up for the first few games.

However, he looked really slow on Friday, like the end of last season and his turnovers were very costly. His reaction has obviously slowed with age and in lightning fast modern footy, it can be a game killer.

I look forward to him breaking the banner in his 300th, but think he will struggle if we have a pretty full list to add to that total.

He has been a champion of the club in difficult times and his loyalty will see him remembered as a great of the club. Well done NJ. Hopefully there is a bit more left in the tank.

This well thought out post by Redleg summarises what happens when the club (and sadly Nathan) squib the professional decision in 2020 and say "..lets go around 1 more time..."  What is so magical about 300 games?

This is now an ongoing topic for debate, and will impact younger players who will doubt they are in first 22 because 1 spot is allocated to Jones. I don't trust Goody to be smart about this, and I am hoping like hell Yze further expands his influence in selection.

Soemone has to take credit for Oliver' s changes in style shown against the Tiges and it may as well be Adem.  IMO.

It can't have been Simon.

1 hour ago, PaulRB said:

Great result, especially as I’d be looking for the following players to improve our 22 when they return...

viney

Brayshaw

Ben Brown

Weid

Kozzie

Melky

VDB

All of which can play when injury free and in form. 

Last two are running on thin ice with form and injury as 2 years of poor form plus newer replacements gather momentum to aid our rise up the ladder.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeeZone said:

That was a great first up game and after reading all the reviews and then watching the replay of the 7 quarters of football I must admit that I liked what I saw, every one chipped in and gave it their all, I was impressed with the way that we kept pegging the Tiges back and made them earn their kicks. We still have a way to go but I am now feeling even more bullish about 2021 with the improvement of our year 2 and year 3 players as they showed more glimpses of what they are capable of, not to mention our year one trio as well.

We still kicked to the Tiges advantage to much and they got away with a lot of illegal blocks and pushes in our forward line but that's what top sides get away with, we now have that very strong core of top players who will be helped and supported by a group of young quality players eagerly waiting to fill any holes that may appear in our top 22 - 26 players.

Go Dee's!!!!!!!!!!!

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned more about the illegal blocks and push outs. Thought it swas fairly prevalent but can't remember them being penalised once.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Aemond said:

Ok so this is my 1st post hey to all.I’ve been a frequent guest for years now. To me this is an exceptionally important year prop most in a while although I’ve thought this before. If all goes well i expect to play finals. 
anyway my 1st round team

b: hunt may lever

hb: salem tomlinson rivers

c: langdon oliver baker 

hf:  petracca MacDonald spargo

f: fritsch jackson chandler

foll: gawn jordan viney

int: sparrow jones nibbler jetta 

emg petty brayshaw jetta bowey

prob same as most teams

A few points. 
Jones needs to play early 

hunt tomlinson need to start well maybe replaced by jetta hibberd petty after a few games 

baker to start bowey putting pressure on

chandler maybe if pickett doesn’t play 

jordan sparrow in middle need to get serious game time 

anyway thoughts

I’d have Brayshaw and Bowey in lieu of Nibbler and Jetta. Be nice to get games into Petty also.

of course you realise Jetta can’t be both interchange and emergency.  I would leave him as emergency.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DemonBlack said:

My first choice team if everyone was fit..

FB: Bowey, May, Lever

HB: Salem, T Mac, Rivers

C: Langdon, Oliver, Jones

HF: Laurie, Weideman, Fritsch

FF: Spargo, Brown, Pickett

FOL: Gawn, Petracca, Viney

INT: Brayshaw, Jackson, Harmes, Hibberd 

Good team (but I would have Baker for Jones)!

• Like 1

Couple of things.

I feel that Bowey must come in.  Has attributes that we sorely need.  Really like the look of him.  Will make us better.

I am a James Harmes fan but he is very slow to get a disposal away and doesn't have the tricks to get into space.  In traffic he just gets caught too often.  We were right to try him in a role other than the midfield last year.  Might be struggling to be in the 22 if he can't find a role.

Tmac looked to be moving much better.  Has been running on train tracks for the last couple of years. Agility looked like it returned and if he can stay fit will be an important player again.

Would have to be thinking about Petty for Tomlinson.

It's a good list that should finish top four.  Over to you coaches.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Stretch Johnson said:

I feel that Bowey must come in.  Has attributes that we sorely need.  Really like the look of him.  Will make us better.

I’m sure he’s right in contention but it very much adds to the strain on an undersized and/or not strong defensive group of small/medium players.

As it stands Salem mostly gets the defensive forward and Rivers, Hunt and Jetta share the 3rd tall duties when a big is off as well as the lockdown roles. 

If Bowey comes in then one of him or Salem will spend more time defending good forwards and the other two have to cover the bigger/more dangerous opponents. Maybe we throw him in and work the rest out later, but it wouldn’t shock me if the first priority is getting the defensive ability sorted if Hunt, Rivers and Jetta/Hibberd can do that 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’m sure he’s right in contention but it very much adds to the strain on an undersized and/or not strong defensive group of small/medium players.

As it stands Salem mostly gets the defensive forward and Rivers, Hunt and Jetta share the 3rd tall duties when a big is off as well as the lockdown roles. 

If Bowey comes in then one of him or Salem will spend more time defending good forwards and the other two have to cover the bigger/more dangerous opponents. Maybe we throw him in and work the rest out later, but it wouldn’t shock me if the first priority is getting the defensive ability sorted if Hunt, Rivers and Jetta/Hibberd can do that 

Stop experimenting with Hunt get Petty in so Jake can mark and Hibbo when fit or take a chance on Bowey or Lockhart for small crumbing opposition player.to mind.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 58er said:

Last two are running on thin ice with form and injury as 2 years of poor form plus newer replacements gather momentum to aid our rise up the ladder.

Don't disagree, but both were capable of finals breaking burst just two years ago. Much as a I love the new kids, the season is long, finals hard and old campaigners are worth their salt. 

Also, forgot Hibberd on that list...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, loges said:

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned more about the illegal blocks and push outs. Thought it swas fairly prevalent but can't remember them being penalised once.

They weren’t the only team doing it! The kickers, Gawn and Tommy did a poor job in the last quarter as they tired of getting separation for the long down the line kicks. If we can’t get one on ones we need to get separation so one tall can stand under it and the other fly over to stop the intercept marks 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Don't disagree, but both were capable of finals breaking burst just two years ago. Much as a I love the new kids, the season is long, finals hard and old campaigners are worth their salt. 

Also, forgot Hibberd on that list...

Virtually 2 seasons of no output from both Melk and AVB and I have stated we need to move on from our 2018 heroes If time has passed them by.

A block of games with Casey may sting them and let's see if they respond.

Youngsters  can be managed Over the season and our small forwards and runners stocks are rising.

The time  IS NOW To change our group to the future and place our faith with our new coaches to improve this team like it was on Friday. Form is still important and injuries relevant in any selections.

RB Our list is developing and our game plan looked solid vs Tigers. We have 5/6 now approaching A graders with some good players out injured still and others now approaching B graders if they maintain their form plus role players doing their job.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Melksham and Brayshaw's injuries and Pickett being away have opened up a chance for Jones but so far it's just a chance. The one thing I find hard to rate with Jones is that his disposal can be shaky but he does still find the ball. We've had guys at half forward go quarters on end without touching it. Obviously can't turn it over if you don't have it to begin with.

I really hope he's truly on board with the possibility of missing 300 and his desire is to see the team succeed. The team having success and Jones sacrificing a milestone to ensure that would really enhance his legacy more than 300 IMO. To stay loyal through the dark years, captain the club and then put the club first at the end would be a career fans would remember for a long time.

Fair point on Jones re: his ability to find the ball.

His natural CP-winning traits help him in forward line scraps, and I think he's generally a good reader of the play. No issues on his workrate, either, even if he's not a ANB-level runner.

But I'm not sure whether that role is better suited by someone who gets it a lot but is prone to making errors, or someone who may not get as much of it but will impact more (e.g. Pickett, Spargo).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stretch Johnson said:

Couple of things.

I am a James Harmes fan but he is very slow to get a disposal away and doesn't have the tricks to get into space.  In traffic he just gets caught too often.  We were right to try him in a role other than the midfield last year.  Might be struggling to be in the 22 if he can't find a role.

Tmac looked to be moving much better.  Has been running on train tracks for the last couple of years. Agility looked like it returned and if he can stay fit will be an important player again.

Would have to be thinking about Petty for Tomlinson.

It's a good list that should finish top four.  Over to you coaches.

I disagree on Harmes, He was in the rights spots more than his teammates and often was outnumbered trying to get the ball out. He always seemed under pressure  because of lack of support and whilst he wasn't great we need to take that into account. Let see how he goes over a few matches. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Stop experimenting with Hunt get Petty in so Jake can mark and Hibbo when fit or take a chance on Bowey or Lockhart for small crumbing opposition player.to mind.

Hunt will be an interesting one this year. The rules have opened it for him to go down back, but defensively he was our worst player. I'm surprised given he's played the small forward role a while now and how often he was not in position to stop their crumbers who took easy goals off the pack. 

14 minutes ago, Bay Riffin said:

Hunt will be an interesting one this year. The rules have opened it for him to go down back, but defensively he was our worst player. I'm surprised given he's played the small forward role a while now and how often he was not in position to stop their crumbers who took easy goals off the pack. 

Hunty has some good footy skills pace 
Long Kicking straight goal shooting, and short Passing plus line breaking ability but footy smarts no.

Even as a forward  he was not a natural 
crumber but he will prove handy like Tommo ( Linson) as depth and versatility  in a better team as  a smarter and slicker outfit.  It looks to me that Salem Hunt Tommo Tmac and some of our mids and new runners can all be moved between Some  lines to upset the opposition. Count Petty in that group also.

All we need to do is Get Ooze and Choco to convince Goody to move those Clipboard names!!

Let the games begin!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, old dee said:

I have heard a rumour in the last 30 mins that TMac has been taken to hospital with blocked artery in his leg. No pulse in the leg!

Exactly what we need...

How accurate is your source?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, CBDees said:

I’d have Brayshaw and Bowey in lieu of Nibbler and Jetta. Be nice to get games into Petty also.

of course you realise Jetta can’t be both interchange and emergency.  I would leave him as emergency.

Of course my 1st post and I made a rookie mistake. Should always double check team b4 posting. Bradshaw should obviously be in best team but is he ready for round 1?  

• Like 2