Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Practice Match vs Richmond

Demonland

20 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

More positives than negatives overall I think.

Line by line:

Forward: Tom McDonald started well, faded out, still has to compete better when stuck under high kicks (punch Tom), but he looks confident to find space on the lead and hold a mark. If he can dish handballs more he'll be serviceable. Jacko didn't get much of it but showed his movement forward, he combined with Tom well early. Fritsch was solid and engaged in the contests. Spargo decent. Chandler lively and has talent, he won't always get much of it as he lacks top end pace but he knows how to use it and where to go. 

Mids: Petracca had a rough second quarter but otherwise was good. Oliver looked much improved. Sparrow and Jordon give us options and guys who will play their roles. Jones and ANB had chances, nice to see some variety. Wings still a little concern but I think both Harmes and Baker did the right running even if there's a lot to do on disposal and contest respectively.

Defenders: Lever really came in to it after a horrific start. Tomlinson faded out of it, we have to keep him away from good forwards. Salem got more and more of the ball and was composed as ever. Hunt....up and down. His pure pace creates/shut downs problems but he can't tackle or read opponents well enough. Rivers looked a bit 2nd year bluesy, still can do some great work but can also be sloppy. Overall it was the area of the ground where I was most thinking we need to look at different options - Hibberd or Smith over Jetta, moving Sparrow back, Lockhart, Deakyn Smith even rather than Hunt? Petty or Big Majak at CHB if they can provide more than Tomlinson.

Gameplan:
We did well to stop and cut off chances were the Tigers overlapped which is where they cut teams to pieces. Probably would've liked to see us stem it earlier in the second but by and large we didn't get walked through and managed to keep our defenders in position.

We probably didn't use the switch and our kickers enough. The new man on the mark makes it even easier to pass the ball around and we have to do a bit more of that. Otherwise we did get it to the corridor pretty well and use some really clever overlap to create holes. The forwards were found on hit ups not just looking for the over the top easy ones.

It's our home ground that we've trained on for months now and we know the wind (and the travel, facilities etc). So shouldn't be a surprise that we got some advantage there and played it pretty solidly.

If Smith plays over Jetta we must be going along [censored] 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deemac said:

If Smith plays over Jetta we must be going along [censored] 

Great effort with 8 listed senior players not able to line up....my best 22 in 2021...

B: Salem.  May Lever 

HB: Hibberd  Petty Rivers 

C: Hunt Oliver Langdon 

HF: Petracca  Weideman Melksham  

FF: Fritsch B.Brown Chandler 

R: Gawn Bradshaw Viney

I: Jackson T.Mac Sparrow Jones

Emerg:- Jordon, Pickett, Tomlinson, Harmes .

your opinions, please 

Edited by jayceebee31
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Nicko said:

Thanks IHW

I got to see the first three quarters streamed live (multitasking whilst working ?‍♂️

looking forward to watching the last quarter with a nice glass of wine!

About 5mins into the last quarter Gale comments that we look a lot quicker than last year (after Langdon’s run down tackle). Not sure if the whole team looks quicker but Langdon certainly does. I liked hearing this from the opposition....

• Like 4

Great to see:

1. Looking to come through the corridor more often than not

2. Kicking long with the wind out of the guts

3. Lever marking just about everything 

4. Hunt running with the ball and kicking long

5. All our key talent in good form

Edited by In Harmes Way
Auto spell check sucks
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, DeeZee said:

Thought Hunt and Jetta were very good today too

Jetta wasn't overly prolific but he looked fit and agile and was able to compete at his usual level.

It's great to have him back moving well. If he stays fit, he's going to be a huge asset.

• Like 4

Based on watching the 7 “quarters” I would give votes to in order of best Oliver, Lever, Gawn, Langdon, Bowey. Bowey was WOW in the B game and should be trialled next week wing or half back instead of Jetta, Baker or Harmes. Nothing wrong with Jetta’s game but he slows connection and is playing on players too tall or too mobile.  Other points of note for me

Chandler and Spargo had a great balance of defensive pressure and clean crumb and attack. 

Hunt whilst offering straight line rebound at speed needs to learn to defend at a contest otherwise will cost us 3 goals.

Baker was ok but I feel will just be warming the second wing until we find a real good partner for Langdon.

We looked super quick in defensive run, offensive movement and general recovery out of a stoppage.

And that was without  Bowey, Bedford and Laurie who were all super quick and super good in the B game. 

Also as part of the B game it will be difficult to not play Petty up if he plays to that level. A good problem to have.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Nicko said:

About 5mins into the last quarter Gale comments that we look a lot quicker than last year (after Langdon’s run down tackle). Not sure if the whole team looks quicker but Langdon certainly does. I liked hearing this from the opposition....

I would think that  all the Coaches would know but Mums the word !!

Very good Problem with pacy players Bowey Laurie Kossie Bedford and Rosman ( below par yesterday) That some could be in the team soon As well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jayceebee31 said:

Great effort with 8 listed senior players not able to line up....my best 22 in 2021...

your opinions, please 

1. A best 22 is a bit pointless given there will always be injuries and out of form players. A round 1 team is more realistic.

2. There’s no way we have both Jacko and Tom on the bench. Take out one of the key forwards for Pickett or Spargo, a team needs more than 1 small forward. I’m a Chandler fan but both of those guys are ahead of him still as well 

3. If Hunt’s the 7th defender then you need a wing, otherwise you need a 7th defender. Harmes or Baker for Jones to start on the wing 

1 hour ago, jayceebee31 said:

your opinions, please 

Not bad but Bowey (I  had earmarked Locky for this but who knows)  Could replace Hunt in wing backline pocket or HB Rodman May develop hopefully into the other winger. Laurie shied enough yesterday that he isn't far off Seniors.

Spargo instead of Melksham He and Chandler are going to fight for a spot IMO as is Kossie.

Tommy Mac  is still in the run for CHF will be better for the hitout etc. but it's a better team potentially than 2018. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

1. A best 22 is a bit pointless given there will always be injuries and out of form players. A round 1 team is more realistic.

2. There’s no way we have both Jacko and Tom on the bench. Take out one of the key forwards for Pickett or Spargo, a team needs more than 1 small forward. I’m a Chandler fan but both of those guys are ahead of him still as well 

3. If Hunt’s the 7th defender then you need a wing, otherwise you need a 7th defender. Harmes or Baker for Jones to start on the wing 

Harmes and Jones  have failed on awing Baker is nit the full package and I suspect that Bowey or Laurie could be given an opportunity.

Watched all games yesterday and here is my positives and negatives.

Positives

- Our ball movement at times looked very quick and slick when we pulled it off. I thought Jayden Hunt and Christian Salem were the two who really drove this off half back. I'm really excited to see Hunt speeding off half back and opening up the game. 

- Max Gawn is ready to go a level up. The Jackson/Gawn combo up forward will change the dynamic of a our forward line while Brown is out. Such a captains game yesterday by the big man.

- Now that's the Jake Lever we like to see! Marked everything that came his way and actually looks like he's put on a bit of size as well. Reads it extremely well.

- Chandler has certainly thrown himself into round 1 calculations. Put in another performance like against the doggies and now doubt he'll pick himself for round 1. The Spargo/Chandler combo was exciting in terms of defensive pressure. Can't wait to add Pickett to the fold.

- Petracca and Oliver. No words needed, they're simply stars now and ready for another big year.

- I was quite critical of Jones early but I thought he got better as the game wore on and at times was calm with his ball use. 

- Jake Bowey and Bailey Laurie.  There are some serious serious class and poise with these two kids. Bowey's run and drive off half back and then his ability to just hit basically every target was very impressive for an 18 year old. Looked like 100 gamer already. He's ready for AFL football and I'll be shocked if he's not playing against the doggies next week.

Laurie is a beautifully balanced and calm footballer.  His hands around the stoppages and contest were clean and quick, and just waits his kicks like Bowey. Both boys are going to add some serious class and outside dash to our current line up very soon and can see them making an instant impact straight away. 

- Harrison Petty was BOG for me in the B game alongside Bowey and Laurie. He easily would have had over 10 marks, 7 of them intercepts down back. Really impressed with his game and if the coaches were smart enough they'd be playing him next week against the doggies instead of Tomlinson who was just pretty poor yesterday.

Special mention to Tom Sparrow who I thought played well and showed courage in defence by taking a strong grab and got crunched as well. 

Negatives 

-  Ball use was pretty poor at times but I put that down to it being our first scratch match. Happens everywhere.

- Jetta was poor. Why on he he was playing on the likes of Reiwoldt and Lynch up the ground has me beat.. watching young Bowey carve it up yesterday makes me think it won't be long until we see him taking his spot soon. I live Jetta but he's way too slow now.

- For someone who is as big as Tomlinson, he's incredibly soft one on one. Beaten throughout the day and on form Petty is miles ahead for that 3rd tall option. I was glad to hear Richo say that Simon Goodwin loves Petty, because that should all confirm he plays next week against the doggies instead of Tommo 

- Harmes was far too sloppy. Again tried to give don't argues and made himself look like a complete [censored] but getting tackled in return. Honestly dont know what to make of him currently. On yesterday's form I'd have Sparrow instead.

- Lockhart was also disappointing. Wanted to see him stake a claim for Jetta's spot but he was just poor and sloppy.

-Bradke, 21 year old who still looks and plays like a gangly giraffe 17 year old kid. I know the delivery wasn't much chop in the B game, but when the ball hit the ground he was barely seen. A true definition of a list clogger.

- Yeah look Farmer won't be getting a spot on our list. His ball use is very poor and times was just walking to contests. Dont think he hit a target all day  except for the goal he kicked. Spend a year at Casey or at under 19 level and I'm sure that will benefit his development more. Was disappointed that Deakyn wasn't playing. Supposedly he's been far more impressive on the training track than Farmer.

Overall it was a solid hitout and thought the longer quarters suited our running ability far more then the tigers. Coaches would have taken a lot out of that and I was pleased to see our young kids in Rivers,  Jackson, Sparrow,  Bowey, Laurie and Petty all contribute well again.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Jetta was poor. Why on he he was playing on the likes of Reiwoldt and Lynch up the ground has me beat.. watching young Bowey carve it up yesterday makes me think it won't be long until we see him taking his spot soon. I live Jetta but he's way too slow now.

I think fans need to understand that to play the zone defence and keep May at home we need to live with key forward vs back pocket on a flank at times. It’s why Geelong have all 190cm defenders. It’s also why Hibberd and Joel Smith took Nev’s spot last year and why they are his real competition this year. Possibly Rivers too. But yeah, Lynch marks on a flank, good luck to him, we’ve got May in the hot spot.

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

For someone who is as big as Tomlinson, he's incredibly soft one on one. Beaten throughout the day and on form Petty is miles ahead for that 3rd tall option. I was glad to hear Richo say that Simon Goodwin loves Petty, because that should all confirm he plays next week against the doggies instead of Tommo 

Yep. But remember Petty loves flying for marks and also struggles one on one. He has more agility but also isn’t quick and his disposal is a little shakier than Tommo even if he has more upside. But mostly he doesn’t have the same tank and again, the zone is predicated on work rate. I’d give Petty some chance at round 1 but he’s underdone and Tommo is cherry ripe. We might be better being patient even if it hurts short term. 

9 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

-Bradke, 21 year old who still looks and plays like a gangly giraffe 17 year old kid. I know the delivery wasn't much chop in the B game, but when the ball hit the ground he was barely seen. A true definition of a list clogger.

I only watched the first quarter but I was disappointed he wasn’t rucking. He’ll get more physical and learn the game faster in the ruck. His movement for his size is still excellent, but he has to be given the chance to compete. We can’t stunt his development behind Casey guys.

12 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

- Yeah look Farmer won't be getting a spot on our list. His ball use is very poor and times was just walking to contests. Dont think he hit a target all day  except for the goal he kicked. Spend a year at Casey or at under 19 level and I'm sure that will benefit his development more. Was disappointed that Deakyn wasn't playing. Supposedly he's been far more impressive on the training track than Farmer.

Reading between the lines and from what I’ve heard has been the same. We should be doing an Essendon to Essendon and chasing Waterman for the second spot to go with Deakyn. Sign Maj to Casey. Nuggety mid sized marking forward is more of a need than another small anyway.

• Like 3

On 2/26/2021 at 12:23 PM, DeeSpencer said:

Line by line:

Forward: Tom McDonald started well, faded out, still has to compete better when stuck under high kicks (punch Tom), but he looks confident to find space on the lead and hold a mark. If he can dish handballs more he'll be serviceable. Jacko didn't get much of it but showed his movement forward, he combined with Tom well early. Fritsch was solid and engaged in the contests. Spargo decent. Chandler lively and has talent, he won't always get much of it as he lacks top end pace but he knows how to use it and where to go. 

Mids: Petracca had a rough second quarter but otherwise was good. Oliver looked much improved. Sparrow and Jordon give us options and guys who will play their roles. Jones and ANB had chances, nice to see some variety. Wings still a little concern but I think both Harmes and Baker did the right running even if there's a lot to do on disposal and contest respectively.

Defenders: Lever really came in to it after a horrific start. Tomlinson faded out of it, we have to keep him away from good forwards. Salem got more and more of the ball and was composed as ever. Hunt....up and down. His pure pace creates/shut downs problems but he can't tackle or read opponents well enough. Rivers looked a bit 2nd year bluesy, still can do some great work but can also be sloppy. Overall it was the area of the ground where I was most thinking we need to look at different options - Hibberd or Smith over Jetta, moving Sparrow back, Lockhart, Deakyn Smith even rather than Hunt? Petty or Big Majak at CHB if they can provide more than Tomlinson.

Gameplan:
We did well to stop and cut off chances were the Tigers overlapped which is where they cut teams to pieces. Probably would've liked to see us stem it earlier in the second but by and large we didn't get walked through and managed to keep our defenders in position.

We probably didn't use the switch and our kickers enough. The new man on the mark makes it even easier to pass the ball around and we have to do a bit more of that. Otherwise we did get it to the corridor pretty well and use some really clever overlap to create holes. The forwards were found on hit ups not just looking for the over the top easy ones.

It's our home ground that we've trained on for months now and we know the wind (and the travel, facilities etc). So shouldn't be a surprise that we got some advantage there and played it pretty solidly.

Thanks for the report DeeSpencer. Your comment re keeping Tomlinson away from good forwards resonates with me. Some will disagree, but I’m of the view that Tomlinson not in the side at all will be a sign of progress. He’s mediocre for mine.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:23 PM, DeeSpencer said:

Line by line:

Gameplan:

Didn’t you notice Langdon was playing?

On 2/26/2021 at 12:18 PM, Deespicable said:

Continuing from previous game-day thread.

final term

1) Chandler given the all-clear to return and then snags one with a left-foot banana on the run. Hunt a key part of the transition goal. Chandler's three goals and tackle pressure will probably see him play round 1, subject to a solid effort against Dogs next week. We played four small up front and we still have Kossie to add to that group, so one will likely miss out Rd 1.

2) Tigers started playing kids - fresh legs versus inexperience so hard to say who had the bigger advantage.

3) We got a good run with umps - home game and no Tiger feral influencing decisions. Only bad call was when Chol got free on a highish spoil by Tomlinson.

Best three: 3) Gawn (easily), 2 Olly had a huge last quarter to snare this spot. 1) Lever - at least six intercept marks plus plenty of involvement down back. Trac good as well, but had horror 2nd term.

Gawn right up there but still needs to learn that "big men" have some pretty serious skill limitations.  He does hit some of the time and looks the goods but would rather see this happening inside our 50 vs further up the ground.  A minor adjustment in positional awareness maybe all that's needed.

Turns the ball over a little too often in critical moments / places that ends up hurting eg; team momentum / extra scoreboard pressure etc for my liking at this level.

Although it does happen on occasions, would love to see more designated players running in support for the big man to hand off to and deliver from behind the square.

Aside from this he did play a critical role and the rest of his game i felt was pretty flawless.  Loved the long goal although there was probably a nice assist three (ish) goal breeze going left of screen.

Also thought May & Harmes were pretty influential.  If Harmes can up his form a tad more and find some more one grab clean possessions i reckon he'll be back near his 2018/2019 form again, injuries aside.  Still not convinced he is as sure playing in the back half vs the front.

Oskar on on the other wing ok with a very nice switch or two inside that impressed.  Still a way to go before he's a lock IMV but improving nicely.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jayceebee31 said:

your opinions, please 

Maybe Jordan instead of Jones? ?

4 hours ago, jayceebee31 said:

your opinions, please 

Pickett must play. Tomlinson won't get dropped for Petty ATS. Probably 1 tall forward too much.

B: HUNT, MAY, LEVER

HB: SALEM, TOMLINSON, RIVERS

C: LANGDON, PETRACCA, BAKER

HF: PICKETT, MCDONALD, CHANDLER

F: FRITSCH, B.BROWN, SPARGO

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: JACKSON, SPARROW, JONES, BOWEY

EMERG: JORDON

McDonald will grab his chance with both hands forcing Weideman to bide his time.

Brayshaw forced to find form due to the emergence of Jordon and Sparrow.

Lets try and get Jones to 300 games.

15 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

Lets try and get Jones to 300 games.

Not at the expenses of winning games of football. 

3 blokes out yesterday I’d rather have in the team than him if they are fit. Pickett, Brayshaw, Melksham. 

Jones was serviceable yesterday though and exceeded my expectations.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jayceebee31 said:

your opinions, please 

definitely too tall, and doesn't solve the pace&pressure problem we have in the forward line. also idk about everyone else but i think sparrow sort of makes these sides on merrit? has he actually done enough to make the team and does he offer enough once he's in? or should we pick someone more flexible/versatile, maybe he needs to play lockdown defence instead of jetta/lockhart as DD36 said below

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Special mention to Tom Sparrow who I thought played well and showed courage in defence by taking a strong grab and got crunched as well. 

he's hardly a list clogger 21yo 204cm ex-basketballer being paid outside the salary as a cat B... give him a chance still. however i was dissapointed he didn't ruck more often, even in the fwd line he lurked outside the contest not in the ruck and not in the goalsquare

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Reading between the lines and from what I’ve heard has been the same. We should be doing an Essendon to Essendon and chasing Waterman for the second spot to go with Deakyn. Sign Maj to Casey. Nuggety mid sized marking forward is more of a need than another small anyway.

melksham/anb/avb have all been busts in this role of recent, i think jones will play a lot of it and harmes too, probably baker is more suited than he is to a wing as well

He’s copped some criticism for his disposal, but I was very happy to see Harmes tagging Cotchin and Martin yesterday.  His best football is when he is tagging and his best football is very, very good.  Hopefully he’s persisted with and can regain some confidence and form.

• Like 4

It was encouraging. That's all I'll say. I thought the skills were poor early and all the old issues were there,  but that improved, particularly the ball use through the corridor. I liked the fact that we were willing to use the width of the ground to spread the opposition when on the attack.

TMac was in and out but looked really strong and back to his athletic self. He was very encouraging. I might have to eat my words about Spargo who is just a tad exciting. Fritter going on as always. Max of course was good, as was Oliver eventually and Trac.

May's disposal was a bit iffy but otherwise he and Lever looked to be shaping as a fine defensive unit. Jetta is still unconvincing. Whether he can return to his best remains to be seen. Loved Langdon and Hunt giving us run out of the back half.

Petty and Bowey in the B game were standouts so overall some pretty encouraging signs. Of course it was a practice match, what the Poms would call a friendly (despite the antics of that nob Lynch), so it only tells you who is fit, who is running well and how we'd like to move the ball if we're allowed to, and it was maybe at 80% intensity. Put it this way, no-one's likely to decide not to buy a membership on that showing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Turner said:

melksham/anb/avb have all been busts in this role of recent, i think jones will play a lot of it and harmes too, probably baker is more suited than he is to a wing as well

Melksham’s an option but his lack of tackling makes him more of a midfielder. Vanders has only ever been a midfielder. Jones and ANB can’t mark. Harmes can rotate in to that role.

Theres a spot on the list for a guy who’s 183-188 and can kick a goal, half an aerial contest and ideally has decent pressure. After Fritsch we have no back up, it would be nice to have someone even if they are at Casey.

• Like 1

I'm yet to watch the full replay but at this stage my interest lies more in how we set up and tried to defend and attack than the result (which of course is pleasing).

Seeing TMac show some form is mightily encouraging. I like the idea of Gawn dropping forward rather than back, but we're going to find it harder to do that in games where May and Lever aren't able to dominate, or the opposition is able to work through our zone better.

11 hours ago, jayceebee31 said:

your opinions, please 

What has Petty, Hunt, Chandler, T. Mac, Jones shown to be best 22?

For me if all fit (which will never be the case)

FB: Lockhart, May, Lever

HB: Salem, Hibberd, Rivers

C: Langdon, Oliver, Sparrow/Laurie

HF: Melksham, Weideman, Fritsch

FF: Spargo, Brown, Pickett

FOL: Gawn, Petracca, Viney

INT: Brayshaw, Jackson, Harmes, Tomlinson

Should learn the lesson about stacking tall slow players into a 22. Laurie a kid offers both pace and skill and Sparrow is worth a game more than Jones for me.