Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Practice Match vs Richmond

Demonland

Just now, hardtack said:

Well, as they had a set 30 minute quarter with no stoppage time added, technically, no... however, they ARE returning to 25 minute quarters with time on added.

Thanks HT, I didn't get to watch it live and see the club have posted it to "The Tube" as the kids are calling it. Hopefully settle down a bit later with a cheeky cognac and cheeseboard and watch it. 

• Haha 1

One other minor thing I forgot to mention in my post above - did anyone else feel like Richmond started quarters strongly but fell away in the last quarter of the quarter? 

Not sure if this is a reflection on conditioning of our team - I know that much was made of it last year - but would it have carried over?

Was also impressed by the amount of run in the last part of the last quarter.  We seemed to be able to go up a gear in intensity - and this was against fresh legs that Richmond had pulled on - v. impressive. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

But the one player who has transformed the pace issue is the move of Jayden Hunt back to defence. He was beaten badly a couple of times over the back by Castagna in the second term, but kept providing line-breaking dash and against Richmond who zone and peel off and block with precision, such players are vital.

I'm glad someone else saw that....resulted in 3 goals and a poster.  Running and bouncing looks great but if you can't defend....

Is Lockhart injured or did he play in the magoos? I would like to see him in the side next week.

One of our major weaknesses last year was the opposition's small forward having a major influence on the game, particularly in losses. Last year Walters kicked 3 in a 3 goal win over us, and Wallis kicked 4 in a 4 goal win against us.

Today Castagna dominated the second quarter.

Not sure if the trio of Jetta, Rivers and Hunt are the answer? Hopefully they are.

1 minute ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Is Lockhart injured or did he play in the magoos? I would like to see him in the side next week.

One of our major weaknesses last year was the opposition's small forward having a major influence on the game, particularly in losses. Last year Walters kicked 3 in a 3 goal win over us, and Wallis kicked 4 in a 4 goal win against us.

Not sure if the trio of Jetta, Rivers and Hunt are the answer? Hopefully they are.

Lockhart played in the 'B' team today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

In the magoos he is not the answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Spargo's understated celebration when he does well.  I saw it at the end of last year when he was playing well too.  He just keeps his game face on like "we haven't achieved anything yet".  He looks pretty determined to silence his doubters including me who said he was too small and without any tricks. I think he has the trick that he knows how to play and has really improved his power.

• Like 19
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Does anyone know anything about the second game for the rest of the lists?

Highlights on the MFC website Redleg:

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/868698/practice-match-highlights-game-b?videoId=868698&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1614316325001

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Agree BBP

I have said this in my post on the game today. We always struggle with the smalls and play one medium too many (Jets) instead of a small.Players like Tippa Daniels and Tiger smalls are lethal vs us.

However BBP it might not be Locky who gets the spot if Bowey keeps playIng  like he did today.

Very classy debut under pressure all day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Thanks HT, I didn't get to watch it live and see the club have posted it to "The Tube" as the kids are calling it. Hopefully settle down a bit later with a cheeky cognac and cheeseboard and watch it. 

Enjoy ET !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Altona-demon said:

Played four smalls forward basically - TMac and Jacko as the talls.  The mix was OK.  Spargo in particular was able to lay a good tackle to force a goal, and ANB was there and thereabouts.  Still probably a fair assessment that none of our small forwards looks dangerous in the same way as some of the oppo forwards can. 

TMac and Jacko took the odd contested mark, but Jacko in particular was muscled under the ball on a few occassions.  TMac was able to get some separation on a couple of occassions and as some on the thread have noted even clunked a few.  Agreed that he looked a bit better.  I think its probly a fair comment to say that the forward line sort of "held up" - and will actually be much much more threatening with the addition of Milkshake, BB, and Weid.

Sorry AD 

Kossie snd BBB and Weid but not Melky on post 2018 form.

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Our talls drop marks or spoil ineffectively which doesn't help the little guys. Rivers and Hunt probably get first crack because they have the speed and if he's in form Nev provides the strength in the air even if his legs aren't the same but it's far from a perfect group. I expect Petty and Bowey will be in contention for round 1 spots, even if they aren't lock down defenders. We might see Hibberd, Joel Smith and even Deakyn Smith early in the season too. 

• Like 1

I watched most of the second quarter whilst on break today and I only saw Richmond goals  and us not so clean with the ball, I left us around 19-20 down. When I next checked the scores we were up by 14 around the midpoint of the 3rd. 

Still a busy a day and I’ve only quickly skimmed through the thread and apologies if it’s been mentioned already, what were the main reasons for the quick turnaround? 

Just now, Dee Zephyr said:

I watched most of the second quarter whilst on break today and I only saw Richmond goals  and us not so clean with the ball, I left us around 19-20 down. When I next checked the scores we were up by 14 around the midpoint of the 3rd. 

Still a busy a day and I’ve only quickly skimmed through the thread and apologies if it’s been mentioned already, what were the main reasons for the quick turnaround? 

The zephyr Zephyr.

We rushed our ball use really for most of the first half but we'd wasted chances in the first with the wind and then gave up a run of chances early in the second. A couple of settling goals all but evened it up before the half. 

Our 3rd quarter matched their 2nd, and the last quarter was a battle between our tired legs and the Tigers replacing some of their stars with fresh legs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Jones' experience and game style showed out in the last half, particularly the last quarter. A generator of good decisions and execution was terrific to see, despite the long bomb now and again (alas). He looks a natural in the forward line, as well, crumbing and providing opportunities. Onyer, Jonesy!

hang on.... hang on.... HANG ON!!! I'm sure I saw a post in the preseason game day thread (game 1) that on form Jones is done!!!!

Look he's never been a world beater and he struggled last year BUT I think this year he'll give us moments of "win" and he will earn the 300 games. He ain't the player he was but I think he is best 22, at this point.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I like Hunt's game, but he needs to be given licensee to just attack the game he wants, the lack of tackling seemed to me to be more of being caught half between attacking their player or falling back to where he should be positioned and then getting in no-mans land. Allowing him that ability might cost a few goals but should also help save a few as well. The other thing he needs to do is to automatically peel out the back of a marking pack when it flys and his man is going up, let the big men do there job and he can stop any quick crumbers bursting through. He got caught on the side watching a few times.

On point 3, the Tigers defence is the best in the game, so after only a few weeks of the focus shifting to the TMac/Jacko combo, I thought they held up reasonably well. 

I agree, Oscar is so close, but he's a liability if forced to go back towards the last line of defence and hasn't yet got the polish delivering forward. I don't think he's yet ready to play in the seniors opposite Langdon, but he'd be the perfect guy to learn off.  

This is the point, how does the club view his offensive outcomes vs his/team defensive outcomes?? Will he and his defenders he plays with, give us more high danger scoring chances per possession* than his direct opponent? ie does his run and long kicking drive give us more high danger (20-30 meters out "directly in front") shots at goal or does he turn it over too often to cause us to have too many high danger chances against?

*sort of stolen from ice hockey, its incredible that fan websites in the US have developed sets of data relating to high danger scoring changes and high danger goalie saves. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, layzie said:

Also didn't get to see today but just caught up on the 5 min highlights and have been well filled in here. Thanks everyone.

T-mac looks a different person. 

Yet in the same body but not. If he can deliver that week in week out then he is 100 times better than the last 2 seasons.

He clunked marks, the major thing we all cracked the sad's about, he literally couldn't mark. He got to contests, the second thing on his "to do list" he couldn't execute the last couple of years. Well done to the person's who told him to bulk up... 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

hang on.... hang on.... HANG ON!!! I'm sure I saw a post in the preseason game day thread (game 1) that on form Jones is done!!!!

Look he's never been a world beater and he struggled last year BUT I think this year he'll give us moments of "win" and he will earn the 300 games. He ain't the player he was but I think he is best 22, at this point.

Posts can be forwarded by a great many desperate journalists seeking controversy as wisdom. Jones should have a terrific sunset in the forward line, off the bench of eternal refreshment, making plays - not distance - with the ball and his teammates.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Posts can be forwarded by a great many desperate journalists seeking controversy as wisdom. Jones should have a terrific sunset in the forward line, off the bench of eternal refreshment, making plays - not distance - with the ball and his teammates.

puff, puff pass.... puff puff pass Deemania?! You should know by now not to puff puff puff puff pass...