• Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

Surprise packet/Whipping boy 2021

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah, Whippet, Schnippet. Fans will always love and hate, they love to hate, hate to love. I remember when all of Hawthorn hated James Sicily - for good reason. Hawthorn fans will have amnesia about tha

goody will be one or the other!

I am really looking forward to watching what Jackson can do. He is a top rising star candidate ( if eligible) and I am hopeful he is our "Bontempelli". His upside is enormous. Mind you he could take a

Posted Images

Surprise packet -  Bedford, Baker or Lockhart.  That's said in hope rather than in belief.

Spud - Hunt, ANB, Melk, Tmac, Chandler, Harmes.  It's a smorgasboard.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

You misinterpreted his post. He's asking two questions:

1) Who is your surprise packet for 2021? - CHF's nominations are Sparrow, Chandler , Spargo

2) Who will be the whipping boy for 2021?  -  CHF likes Tomlinson

1) I'll go Spargo although I wouldn't be surprised at all. Chandler, maybe and Nieta if his knee holds up

2) It'll be a big challenge to surpass Melksham for whipping boy, particularly if he has niggles all year, but ANB could challenge if he has a fumbly, get in the way kind of season. His preseason form suggests otherwise and he may find himself with some respect. Tommo shows potential too but seems to be holding down his defensive role inconspicuously.

Sorry RM I hope you reprimand every Contributor  who didn't answer or "misunderstood" CHF 's questions. 
My reply addressed all his selections and clearly indicated only ONE deserved to be the whipping boy in 2021 and the reasons why. Perhaps you misunderstood my reply !!!

How about a left field suggestion:

We all expect Clarry to be at the same level as previous years, with improvements related to age. 

But what if he turned into a hulk-like 2015 Fyfe force, physically dominating every clearance. A welcome surprise, to be sure!

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

We all expect Clarry to be at the same level as previous years, with improvements related to age. 

But what if he turned into a hulk-like 2015 Fyfe force, physically dominating every clearance. A welcome surprise, to be sure!

Might be hard with Petracca there.

I think the Clarry blueprint is to see what Lachie Neale has done over the last two years. He’s turned from an accumulator to a very damaging midfielder and goal kicker. 

The man on the mark rule could help Clarry too. His agility and burst could see him running through the corridor 

31 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

The man on the mark rule could help Clarry too. His agility and burst could see him running through the corridor 

Well that is an interesting thought given hIs instinct before any other when he is in possession of the pill  is to handball.  

38 minutes ago, Commissioner Dreyfus said:

Well that is an interesting thought given hIs instinct before any other when he is in possession of the pill  is to handball.  

At the contest - yes. But his draft highlights and times in his career have shown he loves playing on and running the ball. 

• Like 1

S.P Fraser " THE FREAK" Rosman

W.B Spargo ,seriously if we are thinking he will be the S.P Then we are in deeeeeep sheeit. Look at his last couple of senior games.... very very average

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

At the contest - yes. But his draft highlights and times in his career have shown he loves playing on and running the ball. 

Agree DS.

He showed glimpses of this last year. He could become such a weapon, not unlike  Petracca, only better IMV. 

Edited by Commissioner Dreyfus
wording

I am really looking forward to watching what Jackson can do. He is a top rising star candidate ( if eligible) and I am hopeful he is our "Bontempelli". His upside is enormous. Mind you he could take another year or two to develop but I'm hoping it's this year he shows his talent.

My whipping boy candidate is Gus. He has shown he has good talent but the penny hasn't dropped yet as to how hard you have to work to achieve your goals. From listening to him on the podcast I think he believes he has already made it and is one of the top players in the game. He is not. He could be. I think his 3rd placing in the Brownlow was a setback for Gus. We are getting impatient for him to play good consistent football week in week out.

• Like 4

id love to see joel smith played up forward.  athletically superior to anyone else.  never been given a run up forward.  defender my [censored].

whipping boy - anb - runs around week after week doing absolutely f a.

• Like 1

SURPRISE PACKET

TOM MCDONALD

WHIPPING BOY 

SPARGO

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Demonic said:

I'd really like it......

• Like 1

surprise: petty at CHB, and farmer debut, jetta reclaims spot (i dont believe it myself even!)

whipping: anb, avb, tmac, hunt are in my sights

i think a left field whip target could be salem/hibbo by mid season from a lot of DLs

• Like 1
4 hours ago, picket fence said:

S.P Fraser " THE FREAK" Rosman

W.B Spargo ,seriously if we are thinking he will be the S.P Then we are in deeeeeep sheeit. Look at his last couple of senior games.... very very average

Only helped us win games vs Pies and GWS  Read the training reports This pre season about Spargs form and physical development.

23 hours ago, CHF said:

A new season just around the corner and I wonder who people thought might be the biggest surprise on our list this season. A draftee? someone who has been in the system a season or two?

For me it could be one of three. Spargo, Chandler or Sparrow. Spargo ha put in a couple of good solid pre-seasons and looks to have built his body well as does Chandler. Will not be surprised to see either of them step up But the biggest improver I think will be Sparrow.

We will, of course, need a replacement for Omac as whipping boy. Last season Melky put his hand up and will be in the running for sure. My favorite for the position is Tomlinson.

James Jordon I expect to shock a lot of people this year.

whipping boy has to be Tomlinson and unfortunately Spargo (no matter how well he plays)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 58er said:

Only helped us win games vs Pies and GWS  Read the training reports This pre season about Spargs form and physical development.

If you read my training reports, I havent seen anything which pionts to the notion that he will become the S.P. Time will tell.He has trained O.K no more no less.

• Like 1
On 2/23/2021 at 2:53 AM, CHF said:

as whipping boy. Last season Melky put his hand up and will be in the running for sure. My favorite for the position is Tomlinson.

I actually think Tomlinson has potential to be one of the surprise packets.  The return to longer quarters will help his game with his elite endurance as evidenced by his preseason games last season.  I actually think the return to longer quarters will help others in our midfield like Harmes and Gus return to the fore and help us blow other teams who don't bat as deep in the midfield out of the water as the game goes on.

• Like 3

S P   J  Harmes  just to prove that  Goody made another blunder. Consistent game time in the middle and he will pay dividends.

Tom Sparrow could be an  S P i think he felt  comfortable at the top level and handled the pressure well.

I just hope there aren't any whipping boys but unfortunately it cannot be helped Goody will see to that.

• Like 1

surprise packet - tomlinson; with a dedicated role in the backline i think he'll showcase why we invested in him as a free agency recruit

whipping boy - brayshaw; he's coming off an injury-interrupted preseason and previous history has indicated that he's not capable of delivering to expectations when he's not cherry ripe

Brayshaw will be the whipping boy for me. Put him in the same category as the Jack Watts of coasting on talent. Looking at his body shape it has not changed at all since he was drafted. Needs to take a good hard look at himself and ask whether he is happy being a larrikin on a podcast or wants to be an AFL footballer.

Maybe he can chat to his mate in Petracca on what hard work means.

• Like 1