• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goody will still play him. BFF.

blessing in disguise.

Bring back Misson!    

Jake is having a shocking run, I hope it is not a long term problem for him. But I think that we have him covered short term.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DeeZone said:

Jake is having a shocking run, I hope it is not a long term problem for him. But I think that we have him covered short term.

Long term also about 5 options for half forward forget his  (Goodwin attempted to keep him in the team) role as tagger!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Turner said:

i think this is one of the big flaws in our list structure, we dont expose our draftees early enough and we dont like seeing Jones, Melk, ANB, AVB, MBrown on team sheets but we've got Baker (12 games at 22yo), Sparrow, (7, 21), Bedford (2, 20), Nieta, Jordon, Chandler (1, 20) who are just as unproven and they've had 3+ years on the list. can any of them really be trusted at senior level consistently who knows? but 3 years on the list without any real form at senior level is a big punt that they're going to come good soon- and soon it has to be. imagine if port held rozzee, duursma and butters back or bailey smith at the dogs coz their midfield was too stacked. yet we consistently turn to old reliable and i'm scared we'll be exposed for it this year. maybe our list isn't as consolidated as we all believe it is.

We used to play picks too early to get games into them and I am sure that killed some careers.

Now I dont think we hold players back now I think we reward good preseasons and then post that make youngsters earn their spot when they are ready. 

It’s hard to say we hold players back when last year Pickett, Jackson and Rivers in a similar fashion to Port with Rozee, Butters, Duursma. Jordon and Sparrow have been unfortunate that they have been behind some quality mature mids. Petty and Chandler were injured most of last year.  

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

We used to play picks too early to get games into them and I am sure that killed some careers.

Now I dont think we hold players back now I think we reward good preseasons and then post that make youngsters earn their spot when they are ready. 

It’s hard to say we hold players back when last year Pickett, Jackson and Rivers in a similar fashion to Port with Rozee, Butters, Duursma. Jordon and Sparrow have been unfortunate that they have been behind some quality mature mids. Petty and Chandler were injured most of last year.  

Really felt last year we just persevered with players out of form....ie Harmes/Tmac/Melksham/Brayshaw but with no real reserves competition we did not really get to see others showing their wares.  Baker was one that put together good string of form to get him few late games but apart from that i can't think of any others that were able to force their way in/up.  I hope we just don't persevere with players horribly out of form in the senior team.  I really think players like Mitch Brown should have been played much more and earlier last year when it was obvious a bunch of our senior players were so far off AFL standard.

• Like 3
On 2/20/2021 at 7:28 PM, WERRIDEE said:

I think this will be the first year we probably will do that. We played Pickett, Jackson and Rivers early last year and remember the disaster of debuting Watts, Trengove and others early. I think this is the first year we can rely on the older blokes but saying that if Rosman, Laurie and Bowey's form warrants it they will get selected.

Ok Ill say it...... If we continue to play guys like Melksham, Spargo, Baker, and even Hibberd et al we will amount to nothing

Start playing Bowey, Laurie, and "The Freak" Fraser Rosman EARLY !!!

Just to explain the Nickname "The Freak" came about after I saw him two weeks ago in simulated match practice take "The Mark of the Game" then in another bit of play kick "The Goal of the game" from 50 out on the wrong side for a left footer on an acute angle, without too much bother!!! 

FREAKISH !!

• Like 3
On 2/19/2021 at 7:13 PM, Demonland said:

Perfect! Put him on the long term injury list and get someone who tackles and can actually get more than 7 disposals a game in!

Could they be holding back three of our best players to play the gruelling second half of the year to help the final push for the Eight, Four, and then Flag??

2 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Could they be holding back three of our best players to play the gruelling second half of the year to help the final push for the Eight, Four, and then Flag??

high risk strategy if true - early wins are crucial.

44 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Melksham is definitely not one of our best players.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

Q: Why is Melksham valued?

A: 8th highest goal assists at MFC since 1965

Top  20 marks inside 50 for MFC since 1965

4th highest goal kicker on current list

This from 71 games in R&B to date.

For sure, been overall a great pick, but his 2020 was very underwhelming and his refusal to pressure to the required standard and his selfishness in front of goals were a bit unlike him. Needs to lift in 2021 from that.

Melksham in 2020 (averages):

Goal assists - 6th
Score involvements - 8th
Goals - 6th
Marks inside 50 - 5th
Tackles - 21st
Tackles inside 50 - 13th

For reference, Neal-Bullen was ahead of him in EVERY category except for goal assists (where he was 0.16 behind him) and marks inside 50 (not surprising given their usual ground positioning).

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

Just to give some perspective on goal assists...

Melksham - 65 from 71 games

Brad Green - 85 from 254

Cam Bruce - 71 from 224

Adam Yze - 40 from 271

Fair chance WW that there hasn't been a long history of stat keeping for goal assists, I think they might have started keeping records in 2003, looking on AFL Tables and even with that the stats seemed to have changed a fair bit over the years.

• Like 1

Jake had an ordinary year in 2020, no doubt about it! I fall into the group that suspects Hub-life didn't bring the best out of him (growing family etc) rather than the group that believes all talent that this bloke displayed over a significant period suddenly vanished; evaporated - consigning him to the scrapheap! Short-sighted and short memories there, I believe.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

Jake had an ordinary year in 2020, no doubt about it! I fall into the group that suspects Hub-life didn't bring the best out of him (growing family etc) rather than the group that believes all talent that this bloke displayed over a significant period suddenly vanished; evaporated - consigning him to the scrapheap! Short-sighted and short memories there, I believe.

And still pretty much in his peak age for performance. Not sure what happened last year, but fingers crossed they get his role more settle in the forward half and get his head back in the game.

• Like 2

I think one of the (many) issues with last season for players like Melksham is that without a genuine reserves competition there wasn't anywhere for him and others who lost form to go. I think the coaching staff took the opinion that it was better to persevere in the hope that they would gain confidence rather than relegating them to Micky Mouse practice matches that were an extremely poor substitute to a reserves comp.

With the Casey (touch wood) restarting for the year I would like to think that there will be more pressure on spots with players pushing harder performances in the reserves.

Having said all of that, I really was frustrated that Jake managed to keep his spot in 2020. I could count the positive performances he put out on one hand.

Edited by Pates

5 hours ago, waynewussell said:

Brad Green - 85 from 254

Cam Bruce - 71 from 224

Adam Yze - 40 from 271

3 of those blokes were more interested in slotting goals.. 

15 hours ago, waynewussell said:

Q: Why is Melksham valued?

A: 8th highest goal assists at MFC since 1965

Top  20 marks inside 50 for MFC since 1965

4th highest goal kicker on current list

This from 71 games in R&B to date.

In a club that has 1 200 game player and historically a very high turn over of players. Nothing to hang his hat on.

18 hours ago, waynewussell said:

Brad Green - 85 from 254

Cam Bruce - 71 from 224

Adam Yze - 40 from 271

So he is better at goal assists than our board and coaching staff?

Fwiw I agree with you about his worth. He was critical in 2018. My problem is that when out of form he is a liability, and he needs to regain that form.

• Like 1