Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MFC Board Election Results

Demonland

2 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Okay, here is what you need to know about the MFC Directors Election recently held.

The constitution of the Club gives the Board absolute discretion to determine how elections are run.

Board rules were established quite some time ago allowing electioneering so long as materials were cleared by the company secretary.  This would allow candidates to state their positions on issues to the membership giving the membership knowledge of candidates and their policies and an ability to make an informed choice.

However once Peter Lawrence announced he would run for election the Board issued new rules  declaring that there would be no electioneering and that candidates would be limited to 150 words outlining their qualifications and policy positions.

Any person who broke these rules would be disqualified from being a Director of the Club.

Subsequently in January all members received an email from Glen Bartlett, well in excess of 150 words, outlining his and the Club view on who should be elected.  Peter Lawrence was excluded.

When I contacted Peter Lawrence (who was the only candidate to supply an email and telephone number in his 150 word bio) to confirm he was the Peter Lawrence I once worked with I received the following reply:

“It is me. Hope you’re well.  Candidates are precluded from talking about the election- the only communication we can have with members is what is contained in the 150 word election statement. Regards Peter”

This situation raises many issues, not least why members were precluded from communicating with Directors, who represent us, to canvas their qualifications and policy positions.

This was not a fair and open election but one manipulated by the current Board to achieve their desired outcome.

I don’t know any of the current Board members other than one dinner with Brad Green who I voted for and think is an outstanding candidate. 

What I know is the Board has denied the members the opportunity to fairly evaluate candidates and have orchestrated a situation where only their chosen candidates had a realistic chance of success.  These actions by our Board do not sit with the principles of democracy and I for one now have reason to distrust them.

What are they hiding?

If any Board member reads this and wants to discuss it with me PM me with your mobile number and I’ll provide my identity and give you an opportunity to respond.

This behavior by the Board is utterly disgraceful and bitterly disappointing.

A few games played here Bob. There was an agreement that no candidate would promote themselves. However you could have the Pres do it for you.

The number of members that voted has not been released nor has the number of votes counted which could be anywhere between 1 and 4 times the number of members who voted.

The election does not have to be democratic but it needs to be fair for each candidate , I feel.

I guess Peter Lawrence will have to by his own lunches.

• Like 3

Cant believe some think the election result is good news. The way Bartlett closed down any proper process so his own choices were elected was right out of the Eddie McGuire playbook. 
Tine for someone not associated with Bartlett to get on board. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I remain unconvinced that the club would make money from a social club. 

Not even after a game we've won on a Saturday Arvo and people are happy to splash the cash? The MFC has had nothing like this.

Agree not open all the time but Thursday, Friday Sat, Sun open to the public.

How does this set up work at other clubs eg. Collingwood, Carlton, Hawthorn, Footscray etc?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Win4theAges said:

Not even after a game we've won on a Saturday Arvo and people are happy to splash the cash? The MFC has had nothing like this.

How does this set up work at other clubs eg. Collingwood, Carlton, Hawthorn, Footscray etc?

Well they do in the multitude of bars in the MCC, however a large social HQ for club members at the G would be fantastic.

But again its always been a crisis of identity.

Who are we? Do we represent the MCC in the AFL? Gepgraphically where, or what are we? If anything our 'area' is confined within each inch of concrete at the MCG.

Or are we a bit like Anakin Skywalker? We simply came to be... and are...the first blades of grass at the 'G', the first piece of pig skin that was kicked in anger, an idea, a thought...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Win4theAges said:

Do you want the club to make money Old Dee? Walk in and buy Merch without going to the G on a gameday, have a meal, orange juice, see the club memorabilia on the walls, trophies in the cabinet in a complex of our own.

It is important Old Dee.

I have a lot of friends who are members of Collingwood and Richmond they all tell me they have not been to the members Bar/ Eating in years. They claim the facilities barely break even. I don't think these things make a lot of money like they used to 20-30 years ago.

On any account happy if you get them I just see them as a poor second to having the best training facilities for the players.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Stigga said:

Well they do in the multitude of bars in the MCC, however a large social HQ for club members at the G would be fantastic.

But again its always been a crisis of identity.

Who are we? Do we represent the MCC in the AFL? Gepgraphically where, or what are we? If anything our 'area' is confined within each inch of concrete at the MCG.

Or are we a bit like Anakin Skywalker? We simply came to be... and are...the first blades of grass at the 'G', the first piece of pig skin that was kicked in anger, an idea, a thought...

WE sure don't represent the MCC  a large part of the membership  are not MFC supporters.

We are a football club that plays at the MCG and has some MCC members who support Melbourne.

Beyond that IMO we are just a Football club that plays in the AFL.

51 minutes ago, Ross said:

Cant believe some think the election result is good news. The way Bartlett closed down any proper process so his own choices were elected was right out of the Eddie McGuire playbook. 
Tine for someone not associated with Bartlett to get on board. 

Ross I think you will find that most clubs are like this. That does not make it right just they way they operate.

Saying that a Footy club is controlled by the members is in a lot of cases crap.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Win4theAges said:

I have been to the footy with my friends and suggested we go the Richmond ground after a game and the answer is always lets go to X pub it  is nicer. Now I am not suggesting that is what everyone does but I think the days of it being a big money spinner are over.

Also  when games are scheduled has an effect, would go after a night game that finishes at 10.30 to have one beer before the drive home?

Edited by old dee
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Win4theAges said:

I'd take a glass of milk as long as its served out of a MFC purpose-built complex with exceptional club house facilities no soup.?

Bartlett and the board would be under pressure to perform. However hope to find out more at the AGM come Monday.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nosoupforme said:

Bartlett and the board would be under pressure to perform. However hope to find out more at the AGM come Monday.

I have been to a lot of AGM's and they are usually tightly controlled.

Part of the Problem is MFC members are too polite ( me include ) and very seldom does anyone ask a difficult question.

Re the new training facility, I was confident we would hear about it last year and nothing.

I guess it is hard to report new developments when there are none.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Win4theAges said:

People aren’t interested in community clubs anymore. Church attendance, volunteering all in decline. People don’t have time given work and family commitments. The younger cohort are happy to engage via social media, facebook and the like.

I’d love a social club and would definitely head a long for beers but financially it would do well to breakeven.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, old dee said:

Ross I think you will find that most clubs are like this. That does not make it right just they way they operate.

Saying that a Footy club is controlled by the members is in a lot of cases crap.

I just thought after not having had an election for such an extended period of time it would have been reasonable to be allowed to hear from the candidates rather than have them gagged. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, rjay said:

What a strange comment...and post by the way.

Talk about Trumpism...you've made some very odd accusations.

If you read my first post you would see that I said I was disappointed with the result but we move on.

You seem to have missed the point of the highlighted part. I haven't made a number of accusations, the other comments are linked to the Trumpism.

You stated "I don't think having one new board member that hasn't been hand selected by the board would lead to instability unless they had something to hide."

If you had of put a full stop in after "instability" I would have agreed with you but you chose to obfuscate and included the bolded. The implication is; "The Board has something to hide". It is classic Donald and politician speak designed to undermine support.

I don't know if you're deliberately doing that or if you are someone who doesn't understand.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, dworship said:

You seem to have missed the point of the highlighted part. I haven't made a number of accusations, the other comments are linked to the Trumpism.

You stated "I don't think having one new board member that hasn't been hand selected by the board would lead to instability unless they had something to hide."

If you had of put a full stop in after "instability" I would have agreed with you but you chose to obfuscate and included the bolded. The implication is; "The Board has something to hide". It is classic Donald and politician speak designed to undermine support.

I don't know if you're deliberately doing that or if you are someone who doesn't understand.

Goodness me...

Edited by rjay

8 hours ago, A F said:

I've noted this before, but we're viewed as grovelers that just take our grant from the MCC Foundation and toddle off. There isn't a great sense of trying to work too closely with the MCC. Maybe that's fine, but that's what I've heard. I also can't speak for the entire board, but the sentiment is certainly within the board room.

Interesting. 

I’d be interested to know what they’d like us to offer them beyond the status quo, but in all honesty I have for a while found it bewildering that they give us any money at all, considering the MCC now has such a large contingent of non-MFC supporters.

On 2/16/2021 at 12:37 PM, Baghdad Bob said:

This was not a fair and open election but one manipulated by the current Board to achieve their desired outcome.

This is my first post.

I devoted myself to support the MFC five decades ago. I plant red and blue fuscias in my garden.

Baghdad Bob quote above has shaken my belief in the current Board and the process that has led to their election... And follows on from my shock of being told by the Club President who not to vote for.

Mr President, you have poked a bear.

I have registered the following question to be put to the Board at the AGM next Monday.

Who provided the 'fair value' land valuation of 22.5 million and what were the disposed financial investments for $6.58 million and was that at 'fair value'/cost?

These two numbers of $millions (one is the Bentleigh Club land increased by $13.5 million, or 257%) may have been plucked from thin air, for all of the lack of information in the Financial Statements for 2020. I am a retired businessman. Fellow devoted Dees on Demonland:  this does not pass the PUB test. Baghdad Bob was right to ask, what are they hiding?

These two numbers and how they were determined, go to the heart of the question of whether the MFC is a financial going concern, or in pub language, is it broke?

The President's previous oversell of the virtues of a small, effectively self appointed stable board, using tactics suppressing candidate statements and access, has warnings all over it.

Fellow Demonlanders
You did not hear more than 150 words from any candidates because it seems the Board changed the rules prohibiting them from any further member contact. They were effectively gagged.  How could this happen? I think I'm right in saying that for the first time under this President, we had the opportunity for input of an 'independent' snuffed. The new candidate had exceptionally good credentials according to his LinkedIn account. But the President actively canvassed his non-election. This is appalling. Who is this President? It is intolerable. It is now my firmly held view that the election process for this Board is void. It has tainted the entire Board.

I do not expect my first post will be widely appreciated but it is motivated by my truly beating heart (yeah, someone will say bleating - derr) for the red and the blue over 57 years. Yes, I decided that the Dees were MY Club, 10 minutes after the first game of VFL football I ever went to. The 1964 grand final. I truly believe I will get to see the next one.

"The behaviour of the Board is disgraceful and bitterly disappointing" (Baghdad Bob) and in my view, not one fit to lead my Club.

My Club, that is on the cusp of its next grand final win.

Notice to the Board : this bear will not hibernate this winter.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, deevotee said:

This is my first post.

I devoted myself to support the MFC five decades ago. I plant red and blue fuscias in my garden.

Baghdad Bob quote above has shaken my belief in the current Board and the process that has led to their election... And follows on from my shock of being told by the Club President who not to vote for.

I have registered the following question to be put to the Board at the AGM next Monday.

Who provided the 'fair value' land valuation of 22.5 million and what were the disposed financial investments for $6.58 million and was that at 'fair value'/cost?

These two numbers of $millions (one is the Bentleigh Club land increased by $13.5 million, or 257%) may have been plucked from thin air, for all of the lack of information in the Financial Statements for 2020. I am a retired businessman. Fellow devoted Dees on Demonland:  this does not pass the PUB test. Baghdad Bob was right to ask, what are they hiding?

These two numbers and how they were determined, go to the heart of the question of whether the MFC is a financial going concern, or in pub language, is it broke?

The President's previous oversell of the virtues of a small, effectively self appointed stable board, using tactics suppressing candidate statements and access, has warnings all over it.

Fellow Demonlanders
You did not hear more than 150 words from any candidates because it seems the Board changed the rules prohibiting them from any further member contact. They were effectively gagged.  How could this happen? I think I'm right in saying that for the first time under this President, we had the opportunity for input of an 'independent' snuffed. The new candidate had exceptionally good credentials according to his LinkedIn account. But the President actively canvassed his non-election. This is appalling. Who is this President? It is intolerable. It is now my firmly held view that the election process for this Board is void. It has tainted the entire Board.

I do not expect my first post will be widely appreciated but it is motivated by my truly beating heart (yeah, someone will say bleating - derr) for the red and the blue over 57 years. Yes, I decided that the Dees were MY Club, 10 minutes after the first game of VFL football I ever went to. The 1964 grand final. I truly believe I will get to see the next one.

"The behaviour of the Board is disgraceful and bitterly disappointing" (Baghdad Bob) and in my view, not one fit to lead my Club.

Very good first post deevotee I support your efforts but you are taking on a tough one. Good luck.

On 2/16/2021 at 10:48 AM, Win4theAges said:

Oldest professional sporting club in the world and we still don't have a home of our own.

Where fellow dees can come and have a feed,beer and watch their team train.

f me.

Critical issue, this happens to be. There is work to be done and it is all before the successful candidates. Are we to have another 'term' of homelessness and sub-standard self-identification?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deevotee said:

This is my first post.

Fellow Demonlanders

Welcome Deevotee and excellent first post

The Bentleigh valuation should have been performed by a qualified valuer who also must be independent of the board i.e can’t be one of the board’s mates. EY as auditor would have to satisfy themselves on this point.

I think the financial investment has been converted to cash to cover costs and repay some debt. If you look at the cash flow statement it gives a sense of how monies have been applied during the year.

I’d be interested to know what the leading financial indicators are looking like such as:

·         2021 membership retention rates

·         Sponsors locked in

·         Cash-burn which wasn’t too bad to end of October but I note significant job-keeper receipts of $3.4m during the last FY. That tap will soon be turned off leaving a big hole to fill. I don’t want to end up in a situation where we have to tap the AFL for funds.

Most importantly for me I want to know where we are at with the home base project. Getting agreement from all stakeholder for an MGC precinct site (Goosh’s I reckon) will be difficult. Bartlett and the board have hitched their wagon to the MGC site and if there isn’t movement soon then questions need to asked. The state government are throwing money around like confetti at the moment and here we are still looking for a site. No confirmed sod turning plans in the next 6-12 months and Bartlett and his board will be in trouble.

Having said all that I’m not too concerned about the stage managed election process. It happens all the time. My view is it’s best to let this board finish what they started however time is running out. And as for Peter my advice is if at first you don’t succeed try again. Put together a ticket, start getting his message out there and be ready for another tilt next year.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Thank you Old Dee and Better days ahead. It is appreciated.

First  "good luck" and "happens all the time' is tragic.  Luck won't repair this let, alone rolling over acceptance to next time. You didn't hear from that bloke Peter because the Board didn't allow it. To their shame.

Second.  Do you seriously think our Club is financially robust enough to build new centralised facilities.  It's dreaming and a cynical distraction, a tease, a carrot to maintain status quo and screen a woeful financial performance over the last couple of years where this Board has burned through half the Club's members' equity buried under sales of assets and now a gross introduction of a unsupported land valuation.  MFC is not a real estate investment. But it has reverted to that asset to prop it up.  (phew. I can now take a breath!)

And don't be distracted by Covid. It only affected half the year and had $4.5 million Jobkeeper grant to partially cover that hole. Richmond got more than TWICE that. How? AND the full impact of Covid is THIS year and NEXT. That is the year when the Club looses $4.5million pokie income. Has anyone heard of a replacement income stream from this Board? They have already had a couple of years to think about it. If there is one , why hasn't it been widely promoted to Club members?

This Board is failing us, then has the temerity to advocate 'stability' and use dubious restrains on allowing 'fresh' reviews.

You're right old dee to wish me luck BUT it is all of us that needs that luck.  Go Dees.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, deevotee said:

Thank you Old Dee and Better days ahead. It is appreciated.

First  "good luck" and "happens all the time' is tragic.  Luck won't repair this let, alone rolling over acceptance to next time. You didn't hear from that bloke Peter because the Board didn't allow it. To their shame.

Second.  Do you seriously think our Club is financially robust enough to build new centralised facilities.  It's dreaming and a cynical distraction, a tease, a carrot to maintain status quo and screen a woeful financial performance over the last couple of years where this Board has burned through half the Club's members' equity buried under sales of assets and now a gross introduction of a unsupported land valuation.  MFC is not a real estate investment. But it has reverted to that asset to prop it up.  (phew. I can now take a breath!)

And don't be distracted by Covid. It only affected half the year and had $4.5 million Jobkeeper grant to partially cover that hole. Richmond got more than TWICE that. How? AND the full impact of Covid is THIS year and NEXT. That is the year when the Club looses $4.5million pokie income. Has anyone heard of a replacement income stream from this Board? They have already had a couple of years to think about it. If there is one , why hasn't it been widely promoted to Club members?

This Board is failing us, then has the temerity to advocate 'stability' and use dubious restrains on allowing 'fresh' reviews.

You're right old dee to wish me luck BUT it is all of us that needs that luck.  Go Dees.

Sorry DeeV you have lost me in this post !

From the Election Terms and conditions you have deduced that we are broke etc and that Covid is a 2 year problem. we play 6 mths from Mar/Sept is our season and the other period is pretty much preparation only.

Yes players get paid for Pre  Season  but their wages are annual!!

i am not a financial wizard or accountant but don't agree with your wild IMO assertion Of the Boards AGM report.

However I do like your passion and loyalty as I similarly have barracked and supported the Mighty Dees since 1958 including the last 28 years from interstate. 

I also believe at 72 I will see our next premiership along with many Baby Boomers racing against time!!!

Lets hope this year is one out of the Box as I do really think  our list is developing nicely and us about the best balanced we have had for many a season.

All the best and Go Dees!

2 hours ago, deevotee said:

Do you seriously think our Club is financially robust enough to build new centralised facilities.  It's dreaming and a cynical distraction, a tease, a carrot to maintain status quo and screen a woeful financial performance over the last couple of years where this Board has burned through half the Club's members' equity buried under sales of assets and now a gross introduction of a unsupported land valuation.  MFC is not a real estate investment. But it has reverted to that asset to prop it up.  (phew. I can now take a breath!)

That is the year when the Club looses $4.5million pokie income. Has anyone heard of a replacement income stream from this Board? They have already had a couple of years to think about it. If there is one , why hasn't it been widely promoted to Club members?

Couple of things deevotee.

As Betterdaysahead has noted:  The revaluation of the Bentleigh club and its land would have been done through current valuation channels.  That it came out at $22M is also reasonable given it is about 3-4 acres of land, buildings and carpark in the middle of Bentleigh i.e  only $550,00 for a block of land.

What isn't reasonable is that it hadn't been revalued since purchase in 2003.  To quote from the annual report:

The accounting policy for the treatment of the Club’s land holdings has transitioned from the Historical Cost method to the Fair Value method. This has resulted in the land being recorded in the Balance Sheet at year end at $22.500m, in accordance with its independently assessed fair value. The Club has made this accounting policy change given the significant discrepancy between the Historical Cost of $8.700m and its current fair value – continuing to retain the Historical Cost method did not allow the financial statements to reflect the underlying financial strength of the Club.

Revaluing assets is a good way to make a Board look good, but it doesn't put food on the table.

And you are right.. What has been done about replacing the lost income from the Oakleigh club after sale?  And from the Bentleigh club post 2022?  There was a loss of $2.8M last year alone since both were forced to close due COVID, so is indicative of the amount that needs to be replaced. 

The Bartlett Board has to come up with something definitive about a training centre THIS year. 

They have been in the job now for 5 years.  I have been hearing the same story about promised locations now for 30 years....Caulfield racecourse, The MCG carpark, Junction oval, all have been thrown about usually just before elections and AGM's.  To date NOTHING. 

• Thanks 2