Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

AGM 2021


Hampton 22
 Share


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, rjay said:

What a load of rubbish...we've been more than patient.

Rubbish.   57 years.  Meh!!!! That's just a flea bite. We've hardly warmed up. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But they could get paid to do so somewhere closer to the CBD/inner suburbs. If given the choice of playing with a team that trains at Casey or one that trains at Olympic Boulevard, Punt Rd or Princes Park most guys in their early-mid 20s would choose the central location over the outer suburbs every day of the week.

I used to think this but there are plenty of advantages to Casey...

Remember, nobody would want to go down and live at sleepy hollow.

The world is not static 'Gonzo', things move on and we need to be with it and not just lock into an old ideal.

Casey might just be the right place for a forward thinking club, not one that has been running in circles for years and getting nowhere.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


17 hours ago, Macca said:

In your opinion.  I disagree. 

Tens of thousands of junior memberships would be a good starting point.  That's if this underforming club can finally start winning

The scope for growth out in Casey is enormous whilst we can keep our inner City roots and ageing supporter base.

It's time for change Wyl

The alternative is Gosch's (which is rubbish IMV) and an inner City facility that is nothing but a pipedream.  Ain't gonna happen in my opinion

So more of the same or you take a chance without abandoning your history

Feasible, practical, obtainable, suitable. WE can build from such a start more likely than not. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need answers, is the President living in his car, sleeping rough?

Hasn't worn a bag of fruit for twelve months, what’s with the shirt!

A member can’t stand for the board without being an insider? 
I need answers!

Please tell me this is not Gutnick version 2!

“Only I can be President”.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure if this has been previously stated but I wonder how many members have joined the club from the Casey corridor in the last 10 years. I am sure that that would provide excellent insight as to whether the experiment worked. Numerically we are attracting far more members than we did 10 years ago and if it could be shown that a large percentage of that growth came from that area then it provides compelling evidence to continue down that path. If it amounts to 2 cats and a dog then move on to a closer base. Simples!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Feasible, practical, obtainable, suitable. WE can build from such a start more likely than not. 

As previously stated DM, the large majority of Demon supporters and members are MCG people and that is always going to be our real & spiritual home.  It's where we play our games and hopefully that will never change

As for the training base it's a different story so why not Casey?  I can see that facility out there being top-notch.  Over time you could seat 5000-8000 with matches involving the Mens practice games (which happens now anyway) the Womens team,  Casey Scorpions and perhaps an under 18 team and other junior teams (creating a pathway)

Bit breezy on the wings but with some creative thinking that could be fixed

And of course at the same time acting as a proper training base with all the bells & whistles.  And there's any number of the 350,000+ people out there who could jump on board

I also believe that the club needs to promote & market the Bentleigh Club on match days when we play interstate ... there should be hundreds there.  We own the place so why aren't we using it properly?  Ok, it's a little bit out of the way for some but it is ours

You put on $2 coffees, $4 schooners and free finger food and you'd pack the joint out.  Didn't we strike 50,000 members a couple of years ago?  That's a lot of untapped customers

Edited by Macca
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

Not sure if this has been previously stated but I wonder how many members have joined the club from the Casey corridor in the last 10 years. I am sure that that would provide excellent insight as to whether the experiment worked. Numerically we are attracting far more members than we did 10 years ago and if it could be shown that a large percentage of that growth came from that area then it provides compelling evidence to continue down that path. If it amounts to 2 cats and a dog then move on to a closer base. Simples!

I spoke to Cameron Schwabb at the B & F a year in to the Casey deal. We'd spent $1.5mill on the alliance at that time and had a sum total of 1500 members. Half of them were probably Casey Councillors and Casey Scorpions and their families. It is a really good question to see what it is now. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, It's Time said:

I spoke to Cameron Schwabb at the B & F a year in to the Casey deal. We'd spent $1.5mill on the alliance at that time and had a sum total of 1500 members. Half of them were probably Casey Councillors and Casey Scorpions and their families. It is a really good question to see what it is now. 

Thanks IT. A quick check of memberships from 2010 to 2019 shows a growth of approx 20k. It would be interesting to know where they all came from

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Salems Lot said:

Not sure if this has been previously stated but I wonder how many members have joined the club from the Casey corridor in the last 10 years. I am sure that that would provide excellent insight as to whether the experiment worked. Numerically we are attracting far more members than we did 10 years ago and if it could be shown that a large percentage of that growth came from that area then it provides compelling evidence to continue down that path. If it amounts to 2 cats and a dog then move on to a closer base. Simples!

I actually don't think it matters...or at least shouldn't be the key driving force.

How many members have we attracted in the city of Melbourne, how many member do we have in the City of Melbourne?

The population isn't static, I'm sure we had a good percentage of our members in the City of Melbourne in 1892...

You can keep chasing your base but at some time you have to settle and create a base.

Our playing base is the MCG but maybe we should also look at a boutique stadium at Casey like the cats and play some of our lesser drawing games out there...the Cats clean up financially and the facilities are pretty much all covered by the 3 governments, local, state and federal.

If we don't start thinking ahead and out of the box we will more than likely end up in Tassie or defunct...

It's what we can build that matters.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Salems Lot said:

 I wonder how many members have joined the club from the Casey corridor in the last 10 years. I am sure that that would provide excellent insight as to whether the experiment worked.

The experiment has barely begun, though.

Investing in Casey and basing ourselves down that way needs to be seen through a much longer timeframe - it’s not going to pay off until 30, 40 years down the track, when we’re properly embedded in the community and have had time to form a relationship with the people who live there. 

Tim and Gonzo make a good point about possible player pushback against a full move that way, but everything else screams Casey to me. 

Identifying the growth in that part of the city when we did - and jumping in there - was extremely smart thinking in my view, and going all-in might be the better long-term option if we truly want to attract 70,000 members down the track. 

Edited by Grapeviney
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, rjay said:

I actually don't think it matters...or at least shouldn't be the key driving force.

How many members have we attracted in the city of Melbourne, how many member do we have in the City of Melbourne?

The population isn't static, I'm sure we had a good percentage of our members in the City of Melbourne in 1892...

You can keep chasing your base but at some time you have to settle and create a base.

Our playing base is the MCG but maybe we should also look at a boutique stadium at Casey like the cats and play some of our lesser drawing games out there...the Cats clean up financially and the facilities are pretty much all covered by the 3 governments, local, state and federal.

If we don't start thinking ahead and out of the box we will more than likely end up in Tassie or defunct...

It's what we can build that matters.

I would argue that it definitely matters, if you get zero take up in 10 years that is a significant rebuke to the plan. Besides, they must have modelled some targets before they started. If those targets are not being met it gives you a good reason to rethink your strategy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Grapeviney said:

The experiment has barely begun, though.

Investing in Casey and basing ourselves down that way needs to be seen through a much longer timeframe - it’s not going to pay off until 30, 40 years down the track, when you’re properly embedded in the community and have had time to form a relationship with the people who live there. 

Tim and Gonzo make a good point about possible player pushback against a full move that way, but everything else screams Casey to me. 

Identifying the growth in that part of the city when we did - and jumping in there - was extremely smart thinking in my view, and going all-in might be the better long-term option if we truly want to attract 70,000 members. 

True that it is early days but 10 years is a good enough sample to start to gauge uptake 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone have a copy of or know where to locate the report that Glen Bartlett references every time the reason for basing the site in the MGC precinct is raised. Apparently this report looked at other sporting organisations and how they made the decision regarding where to locate.

I would love to know why the board are so wedded to the MGC precinct to the exclusion of all other options.  What are the pros and cons. What are the alternatives. We seem to be having a very uninformed debate at the moment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

I would argue that it definitely matters, if you get zero take up in 10 years that is a significant rebuke to the plan. Besides, they must have modelled some targets before they started. If those targets are not being met it gives you a good reason to rethink your strategy.

How many new members have signed up in the City of Melbourne over that 10 years?

The Casey membership is only a significant rebuke if they had planned for a big increase in membership and that was not forthcoming...

What if despite the membership thing, Casey was the best place to establish new facilities?

I was dead against any thought of moving to Casey but 'Old' & 'Macca' have finally started to turn my thinking around...that and the changing world we live in. We can't just keep pushing for something that's not working, the club is dying a slow death that way.

...as 'Better' says above it would be good to see the business case for the MCG precinct and any alternatives.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, rjay said:

How many new members have signed up in the City of Melbourne over that 10 years?

The Casey membership is only a significant rebuke if they had planned for a big increase in membership and that was not forthcoming...

What if despite the membership thing, Casey was the best place to establish new facilities?

I was dead against any thought of moving to Casey but 'Old' & 'Macca' have finally started to turn my thinking around...that and the changing world we live in. We can't just keep pushing for something that's not working, the club is dying a slow death that way.

...as 'Better' says above it would be good to see the business case for the MCG precinct and any alternatives.

5 winning seasons in a row like what happened under Northey is what we desperately need ... starting this season

Do that and we will challenge for the flag at some stage in that time

And the off-field benefits will follow accordingly

The club has to be ready to cash in if we consistently play finals too.  Lots of new memberships from a huge growth area like Casey would be a distinct possibility as long as we start winning more games than we lose and as long as we have a greater presence in the Casey precinct

The Pies are a good example of sustained finals appearances and what it can bring ... only 2 flags in 60 years but they play finals a lot.  Result = big membership numbers and financial security

Casey has huge pockets of land to be filled with new dwellings from new home buyers.  The 350,000+ residents could be 400,000+ sooner than people think

We are behind the eight ball because we've only played finals once in the last 14 years.  That's bad for business and stating the obvious rjay but that's the difference between our club and other, far more successful clubs

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, old dee said:

Fairly confident there was no "chance" in it.

I am talking about the realistic expectations of supporters being a chance each year for the 8 and flag in this toughest of competitions. Even the Hawks have fallen ! And we await the Cats plunge!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Salems Lot said:

I would argue that it definitely matters, if you get zero take up in 10 years that is a significant rebuke to the plan. Besides, they must have modelled some targets before they started. If those targets are not being met it gives you a good reason to rethink your strategy.

The other thing Schwab said to me at that B & F was that he didn't believe people would go to the MCG to see games. He said people want to stay home on a Saturday afternoon and do the lawns not do a long commute to see a game of footy. 

At the time I wondered if it was a comment indicating he was against the whole Casey deal. But it could also be that the arrangement wasn't ever meant to be about memberships. Although I can't see that makes any sense. It has given us a base at this point and a second training facility for AFLW and VFLW teams and the AFL seconds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, It's Time said:

The other thing Schwab said to me at that B & F was that he didn't believe people would go to the MCG to see games. He said people want to stay home on a Saturday afternoon and do the lawns not do a long commute to see a game of footy. 

At the time I wondered if it was a comment indicating he was against the whole Casey deal. But it could also be that the arrangement wasn't ever meant to be about memberships. Although I can't see that makes any sense. It has given us a base at this point and a second training facility for AFLW and VFLW teams and the AFL seconds. 

They did want to mow the lawns whilst he was at the helm.

People travel far and wide when football teams win matches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, It's Time said:

The other thing Schwab said to me at that B & F was that he didn't believe people would go to the MCG to see games. He said people want to stay home on a Saturday afternoon and do the lawns not do a long commute to see a game of footy. 

At the time I wondered if it was a comment indicating he was against the whole Casey deal. But it could also be that the arrangement wasn't ever meant to be about memberships. Although I can't see that makes any sense. It has given us a base at this point and a second training facility for AFLW and VFLW teams and the AFL seconds. 

IMO  CS is definitely saying that Casey residents don't want to go to the MCG on Sat ( Why only Sat p.m.?) Or is that just saying any time really!

For any maximisation of our Casey deal of 30 years Melbourne must have factored in some additional supporters From that region. Some at Casey Fields and a corresponding spike on match days at the G ( or Marvel) as new fans were attracted to the national game.

But in doing so I don't know if any sweeteners have been offered to the ratepayers of Casey for example, maybe Others than a few free kids tickets on the odd occasion.

Maybe some benefits For ratepayers for membership. Or transport such as a special train from Cranbourne with free transport or alternatively bus transport from Cranbourne To the G. On its own or as a packsge.On the rebound a bus from Caulfield station or at least from Cranbourne for AFLW games to Casey Fields and return would provide a More relaxing easy mode of transport.
 

Of course as we all know any promotions are so much better if the team is successful. But creative marketing also is needed to make use of our relationship with City of Casey.
 

It must  have given you Its Time confidence that The Casey deal would be a success with a major player in our Club hardly giving it his spproval.!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, It's Time said:

The other thing Schwab said to me at that B & F was that he didn't believe people would go to the MCG to see games. He said people want to stay home on a Saturday afternoon and do the lawns not do a long commute to see a game of footy.

I can't take a train to Casey. I haven't even consider busing it but i'm sure it would be a mission. So i drive the 55 minutes to Casey Fields which means i can't have a beer  (i always have a beer at the G because i take the train home). If i lived in Casey and the option was driving to a nearby station to catch a train for a 1 hour+ journey, can't have a few beers, I definitely wouldn't be going to every home game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we are using travel as an example, the people of inner Melbourne expect people of the outer suburbs to travel to games, yet would not be open to doing the same?

There are plenty of people who live further out than Casey Fields who may suddenly be interested in going to the footy too. Warragul, Mornington Peninsula, Bass Coast. I think a 30,000 seat stadium at Casey would be a game changer for us. As discussed, Geelong absolutely clean up from their ground and they will be hosting finals there before we know it.
 

I think the club is stuck in a never ending cycle of mediocrity, we don’t win enough, we don’t get members. We can’t do anything elite facility wise because we don’t have enough members ($$) and we can’t win games because of it. 
 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BW511 said:

I think the club is stuck in a never ending cycle of mediocrity, we don’t win enough, we don’t get members. We can’t do anything elite facility wise because we don’t have enough members ($$) and we can’t win games because of it. 

i agree with all that

6 minutes ago, BW511 said:

I think a 30,000 seat stadium at Casey would be a game changer for us. As discussed, Geelong absolutely clean up from their ground and they will be hosting finals there before we know it.

Not sure why we use Geelong as a comparison. Geelong is a 150 year old established club. And they are heavily govt backed for unique reasons specific to Geelong. And they are not cleaning up. Take a look at their financials. They're flogging assets as well even though they play consistent finals. 

And i seem to recall (could be wrong) that Dandenong was previously looked at as a site for a boutique stadium. Didn't get off the ground and it have more people and has public transport. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

i agree with all that

Not sure why we use Geelong as a comparison. Geelong is a 150 year old established club. And they are heavily govt backed for unique reasons specific to Geelong. And they are not cleaning up. Take a look at their financials. They're flogging assets as well even though they play consistent finals. 

And i seem to recall (could be wrong) that Dandenong was previously looked at as a site for a boutique stadium. Didn't get off the ground and it have more people and has public transport. 

Sorry, I didn’t realise they bled money down there. They do win lots of games of footy though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Better days ahead said:

I can't take a train to Casey. I haven't even consider busing it but i'm sure it would be a mission. So i drive the 55 minutes to Casey Fields which means i can't have a beer  (i always have a beer at the G because i take the train home). If i lived in Casey and the option was driving to a nearby station to catch a train for a 1 hour+ journey, can't have a few beers, I definitely wouldn't be going to every home game.

Some of these factors are what size am saying An express train only stopping at Dabde and Caulfield or same with bus ( with Club promotion involved) our to Casey  is really basic stuff.

Brisbane gets about est. 70 % to Gabba By bus from reg shopping centres for parking each game and is just completing this year I believe the Cross River Rail underground with a Gabba Station adjacent to the Gabba! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...